Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Confession Corner - Admit Your Golf Equipment Biases

null

1 hour ago, revkev said:

@Subdiver1- fair enough. And thanks for the compliment.I did end up gaming a Mizuno driver for three seasons when I had a grand agnostic fitting. That stupid thing ooojed like a pancake and sounded worse. Played the best golf of my life with it. 

Are or were you actually on subs? My son was a Nuke. 8 year veteran. Your answer was reminiscent of one he might give. 

Afternoon.  You're welcome, nothing undeserved IMO.  I miss my Mizuno irons, but I halved my handicap after an agnostic fitting.  For the life of me I ild the fitter that Callaway was off the table (talk about bias, but honestly that was from prior experience so was is bias, or objective evidence supporting preference?  But, you get the point), but almost ended up in the forged Apex because the fitting showed they were almost as consistent for me as the P790s, talk about a kick in the preconceived notion-preference pants.

I hit a Mizuno driver a couple of years back at a tour day event at our local course, I actually was in intrigued, but not enough to switch.  Anyway, appreciate the response and open dialogue.

LOL!  I was a boat Sailor, 22-years, but I wasn't a Nuke. In his vernacular I was a Coner.  I hope you guys get to play rounds together, it can be a great family experience. Ad you folks have some really great courses in that area.  Thank him for his sacrifice.  

Cheers!

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

1 hour ago, Subdiver1 said:

Afternoon.  You're welcome, nothing undeserved IMO.  I miss my Mizuno irons, but I halved my handicap after an agnostic fitting.  For the life of me I ild the fitter that Callaway was off the table (talk about bias, but honestly that was from prior experience so was is bias, or objective evidence supporting preference?  But, you get the point), but almost ended up in the forged Apex because the fitting showed they were almost as consistent for me as the P790s, talk about a kick in the preconceived notion-preference pants.

I hit a Mizuno driver a couple of years back at a tour day event at our local course, I actually was in intrigued, but not enough to switch.  Anyway, appreciate the response and open dialogue.

LOL!  I was a boat Sailor, 22-years, but I wasn't a Nuke. In his vernacular I was a Coner.  I hope you guys get to play rounds together, it can be a great family experience. Ad you folks have some really great courses in that area.  Thank him for his sacrifice.  

Cheers!

Thank you as well. Submarines are special dudes. I enjoyed any of his boat mates that I met and my Dad ride along was incredibly memorable.

Both of my boys live in the Tampa Bay area. We don’t not play as much was we’d like because all 3 of us work long hours and they gave young children. The petty officer and I did go to the Lightning game tonight get her Thursday night and my other son is coming over for the Super Bowl tomorrow. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Have any of the new releases in 2023 changed or effected any of your bias towards any one brand?

Even though we all kinda knew the new TM line would be Stealth 2 and I will admit I like the updates as far as aesthetics the hype of the carbon face has wore off for me and I can't really say this release has improved that somewhat negative feeling towards TM drivers. Don't get me wrong I think they perform, but I didn't hit stealth all that great and I am not enticed to make the plunge into trying stealth 2. 

Where as I had zero interest in the Srixon driver lineup previously and can say they are on a short list of products I want to try. 

Similar to TM the Ping G430 really hasn't done it for me. I know the products are great and have a lot to offer and I am a huge Ping fan, but I have yet to really fall for one of their drivers since the G400. Irons are a different story. 

I can throw Cobra drivers in this mix as well - I loved King LTD, but AeroJet doesn't hit that spot for me. 

Or maybe this is all because the TSR lineup stands out so much and I have such a bias towards the Titleist drivers at the moment the rest all just seeming fail to live up to the hype of a new product? 

Keep in mind I have yet to hit any of the new drivers so this is all subjective to looks, seeing on the shelf and well lack of ability to hit any due to only seeing RH options to hit right now. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Even though we all kinda knew the new TM line would be Stealth 2 and I will admit I like the updates as far as aesthetics the hype of the carbon face has wore off for me and I can't really say this release has improved that somewhat negative feeling towards TM drivers. Don't get me wrong I think they perform, but I didn't hit stealth all that great and I am not enticed to make the plunge into trying stealth 2. 

I still love my Sim2 but wasn't fond the the Stealth either and doubt Stealth 2 will change my mind. 

Similar to TM the Ping G430 really hasn't done it for me. I know the products are great and have a lot to offer and I am a huge Ping fan, but I have yet to really fall for one of their drivers since the G400. Irons are a different story. 

I haven't even considered a Ping driver because of the sound/feel. If I weren't going to get some King Tour irons the i230's would seriously be calling my name and I have never played a Ping iron. 

I can throw Cobra drivers in this mix as well - I loved King LTD, but AeroJet doesn't hit that spot for me. 

I am very interested ing the Aerojet LS but there is a good chance it doesn't spin enough and with both weights forward it may not be as accurate as I need from my driver. 

Or maybe this is all because the TSR lineup stands out so much and I have such a bias towards the Titleist drivers at the moment the rest all just seeming fail to live up to the hype of a new product? 

I have a feeling that if I do move on from my Sim2, it will be with a TSR3. I can't remember the last Titleist driver I played and it might be the 905R. 

Keep in mind I have yet to hit any of the new drivers so this is all subjective to looks, seeing on the shelf and well lack of ability to hit any due to only seeing RH options to hit right now. 

I have a fitting for the Paradym Friday and judging by the MGS Most Wanted Driver just released I don't have high hopes and considering the name of this thread I have an anti Callaway bias anyway. But I will hit the Aerojet LS, Stealth2 and TSR3 at their demo days. Gotta love Phoenix ing winter as all the OEMs have free demo days! I can't remember going into a 3rd season with the same driver in forever but I love everything about my Sim2 AD-IZ and so far it has been hard to beat. Equaled but not beaten. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

Apparently, the sound is much improved with the G430 family of drivers from Ping. I have a Ping G425 Max driver and it was out of my bag sitting in my garage for the last 6 or 7 months because of the horrible sound. However, driving woes with my other drivers led me to put it back in my bag last week, and I hit more than 60% of fairways with it in my 2-day tournament (plus, I only had one wide miss with it in 27 holes where I hit it off the tee).

My shot shape with this driver was very predictable, with only one miss to the right, and everything else moving just slightly right-to-left. I also had 3 drives in the fairways at more than 250 yards in both rounds last week, with the longest one being 274 yards on Wednesday, giving me a decent shot at reaching a par-5 in two (of course, I hooked my hybrid approach shot into the pond left of the green).

With those types of results, I can live with the somewhat obnoxious sound from that G425 Max driver.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

3 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Apparently, the sound is much improved with the G430 family of drivers from Ping. I have a Ping G425 Max driver and it was out of my bag sitting in my garage for the last 6 or 7 months because of the horrible sound. However, driving woes with my other drivers led me to put it back in my bag last week, and I hit more than 60% of fairways with it in my 2-day tournament (plus, I only had one wide miss with it in 27 holes where I hit it off the tee).

My shot shape with this driver was very predictable, with only one miss to the right, and everything else moving just slightly right-to-left. I also had 3 drives in the fairways at more than 250 yards in both rounds last week, with the longest one being 274 yards on Wednesday, giving me a decent shot at reaching a par-5 in two (of course, I hooked my hybrid approach shot into the pond left of the green).

With those types of results, I can live with the somewhat obnoxious sound from that G425 Max driver.

... "Much improved" may not be enough compared to Sim2 that is very dense sounding/feeling so I am spoiled. But I will hit one if Ping does a demo day, which is very rare here. 

21 minutes ago, chisag said:

... "Much improved" may not be enough compared to Sim2 that is very dense sounding/feeling so I am spoiled. But I will hit one if Ping does a demo day, which is very rare here. 

I know the sound generated by the SIM and SIM2 drivers, having hit (and/or owned) both of them. My best friend, who introduced me to golf 38 or 39 years ago, now owns my old SIM2 driver. Although it had a pleasant sound, it didn’t perform very well for me.

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I know the sound generated by the SIM and SIM2 drivers, having hit (and/or owned) both of them. My best friend, who introduced me to golf 38 or 39 years ago, now owns my old SIM2 driver. Although it had a pleasant sound, it didn’t perform very well for me.

... I hear ya, feel without performance is useless. 

It’s easy to admit my biases.  Titleist golf balls are my balls of choice.  ProV1x in particular.  Have played other Titleist balls and are familiar with the supposed characteristics.  Always felt my swing was so inconsistent that my equipment needs as much consistency as possible.  Until 2019 my irons were always Ping along with my putter.   Switched to Callaway Apex 19s.  Very pleased with the Callaway’s.  My putter is still a very old Ping Answer which is performing well and I see no reason to switch.  Recently started playing Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track ball on par 3s.  When it comes to drivers, fairway woods and hybrids, currently playing TaylorMade driver and 3 wood.  I still carry a Callaway X Hot 5 wood for now.  The one hybrid I have is an Adams Idea or whatever works at moment.  My Titleist Vokey wedge and Ping pitching wedge round out my bag!  All in all,  I pretty much stick to these 4 brands.   What I have works and unless exposed to something else that blows me away, don’t see myself changing.  Since I’m not looking to change anything its unlikely another brand will get a chance at the bag!

I am a regular and frequent golfer.  I have played in 16 states and 4 countries.

My bucket list is to play in all 50 states.  I am an “A” flight golfer in my golf club.

I'm a bit like Linus from Peanuts, Adams is my security blanket. I know they've been gone for like a decade or so now, probably best to move on. However, when I go window shopping at the pro shop, I tend to gravitate towards, Ping, Callaway, and to a lesser extend Srixon. I like Haywood as well and they're Canadian which is cool.

Driver -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Speedline F11 8.5°

WoodTaylorMade.png.45cd3b99702fd97787bf7959e5a23980.png SLDR 16.5°

Hybrid - Callaway.png.a491223c3e2866e981c547eee04defb8.png  Apex 23°

Irons -Titleist.png.24064e9d1a4c68621e6906d0130398cb.png 762 DCI  5 -PW

Wedges -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Tom Watson RC14 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter Yes!.png.451dba2a835bb9fbe7b3bbb57abf633c.png Valerie

BallsNoodz.png.f11f61e8cb08b785062fdfac6827e9d0.png The Noodz!

Really, my bias is price-based.

That said, Callaway is up there. I just thought their driver designs were terrible when I started, and so that bias has been carrying on for the past 15 years. I wanted to like TaylorMade, since I thought their designs were cool, but when I had an R7 Quad, it felt so wrong throughout my swing.

Cleveland‘s driver then became my goto and I swung it so well. The fact that it sounded so loud and horrible made me laugh every time someone at the golf range cringed in surprise.

So there’s my bias. Looking ugly: bad. Sounding ugly: good.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

I know my bias and my bag mostly shows for it. It's Callaway and Mizuno.

The bias might be from when I learned and played golf in high school I played Mizuno irons and Callaway woods...

I did try to get fittings for my irons and driver and ended up in Mizuno irons and Callaway woods. For some odd reason, I just do better with Callaway woods.

Maybe if I'm making a second bag I'll give PXG and Sub70 a proper look, I really did enjoy demoing Sub70 Irons.

:titleist-small:  TSR 2 10°  :Fuji:  Ventus TR Red Velocore 5 S

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 18° :Fuji:  Ventus Red Velocore 6 R

:taylormade-small:  SiM2 Rescue 4 Hybrid 22°

:mizuno-small: Pro 225 5 ~ PW, GW Nippon Modus 3 105 R

:vokey-small: SM8 54° S grind, 58° D grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter

Is there any single Club that you've used which really swung your bias towards a company one way or another?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Is there any single Club that you've used which really swung your bias towards a company one way or another?

A Ping G20 driver I bought out of desperation when I was struggling with my driving. It was my first Ping non-putter and I haven’t strayed from Ping drivers since. 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:18 AM, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I can get us started.

Positive Bias

Anything that Ping, Titleist, Mizuno and Evnroll make, I will do my due diligence on. I like how their clubs look, I like the brands' messaging, and like the options within their brands that can preform for multiple levels of golfers. 

TaylorMade and Srixon are a notch below.  "Brands of my past" as most of my clubs from HS and College were Taylormade and then Srixons were some of the first clubs I really started getting into when I started getting involved on golf forums in the early 2000s

Cobra will always have a soft spot in my mind because, like Srixon, I really started enjoying their clubs when I was first getting into internet golf stuff.  Particularly their woods.  

Negative Bias

Not going to peel back the onion too much on this, but I don't think I will ever game another Callaway club in my life

PXG - I am sure they perform great, but the marketing and brand image is just something I don't jive with

New Level - I have interacted with their owner multiple times and it was all negative experiences

Indifferent

I don't dislike any of these other brands' they just do nothing for me.

Wilson, Bridgestone, Tour Edge, Cleveland, Sub 70, other DTCs

And let me be clear - my biases do not influence what I say on this forum or to other friends or golfers I meet.  I don't think their is bad equipment, only poorly fit equipment.  These are simply MY biases when I look to buy equipment for myself

I think that a lot of how I feel about PXG has changed in the last couple of years.  I thought they were overpriced and overhyped for a number of years.  But, in the last couple of years they did demo days at my club.  Last year, I was looking for a 7 wood.  Very few companies make left-handed seven woods.  I tried out a few and liked PXG and Ping the best.  I like Ping clubs a lot and might have gone with their club except for two things.  One, it would have taken months for Ping to have gotten me the club while delivery time with a PXG was two weeks.  And, most importantly, PXG had a local store where I could get fitted for $40.  PXG Stores  I was really impressed with the fitting when I went to the PXG store.  We tried two different left-handed seven woods, a couple of different shafts and moving the weights and lie angle around.  Took about an hour, and I have been really happy with the club I got.  Gave me a very different impression of PXG.  Would have to consider them when I get other clubs.

But, I don't think I would have any interest in PXG if they did not have a local store here.  I think this is a key.  In my area, they are the only company with a local store where I can get fitted.  Yes, I can get fitted by a pro at my club (and often do).  Yes, I could go to a big box store or somewhere else and get somewhat fitted.  But, this was a pretty nice experience.

Beyond this, as can be seen from what is in my bag, I have a positive bias for Titleist and Ping.  I have a bit of a negative bias towards Callaway (never really demoed one I liked).  

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

image.png

image.png

Ok, this is a great question. I started out with MacGregor (!!) and then eventually moved to Cobra, which I really liked I have to say.  I had a bad fitting session and then I stumbled, at the range, across a guy who fitted PING.  Since then, I have been really committed to PING and I don't see that changing.  For my putter I use EvenRoll, which was a find for me and since I found it I swear by it.  I still have a bit of a soft spot for Cobra (as someone else mentioned), but I moved on after that incident and never looked back (I still have an old set of Cobra's at our summer house though). 

For PING, there are some things I really like.  First, it is an engineering driven company, not marketing.  While I know the products of TaylorMade, etc, also have good engineering, they are all about and driven by marketing.  They release a new driver every 6 months that will change the world.  I feel that is cheating.  PING is all about the product and lets the product do all the talking, not the marketing.   I have lot's of clubs around my house, I still use others occasionally, but in my regular bag I have the PING 400 Max driver, the PING G425 irons (5-PW - UW), and their 3 and 7 woods for G 425.  The 7 wood was a game changer and has become a club of choice for me. I also have a TaylorMade Hi Toe wedge (58 degree).  I also like the fact PING still has original family members involved and is not some large, faceless organization. 

I know that there are plenty of videos that will show the Paradym or Stealth hits the ball a bit farther, etc.  But for me, the PING clubs look great, they feel great, and I have confidence that the dispersion is tight.  I am not at such a level of golf that the extra 4-5 yards from the Stealth would make a difference to my score anyway, and I don't like all the mass marketing and gimmicks that TaylorMade and Callaway do (no offense, it is great kit, I just don't like the marketing of it).  Also as it is family controlled I like to spend my money with people like that as opposed to the large, faceless organizations.  Just my personal preference.  None of my friends play a full set of PING's (some have a driver or a putter or something),  most have Callaway or Taylormade but they also update more frequently or mix and match more than I do, for example they might have a 3 wood from Callaway, TaylorMade irons, Scotty Cameron putter, Vokey wedge and a 5 wood from Cobra.  I also prefer the esthetics of keeping the bag simple and uniform and not having a mish mash (also as all PING gear is measured, my lie's etc are all geared to me upon original order, which is a benefit of course vs off the shelf). 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

Been using TaylorMade since mid 70's. Over the years and upgrades, found all the parameters for my swing to be the same. TaylorMade new technologies have made my game enjoyable as I grow older.

Tour Edge HL 3 Driver and 3 wood.

3 &4 hybrid Tour Edge HL 2

5 through SW Your Edge Iron Wood

Odyssey White Hot Mallet putter

My equipment bias, I love my new Cobra LTD X driver and T Rail hybrids. I have regained the 10 (or so) yards I’ve lost with age. Cobra was my first complete set of clubs I played and will continue to be loyal. My first set was mix of whatever I could find cheap, I wasn’t very good. When I started losing distance a bought a set of Adams on close out at Golf Galaxy. They worked great until I continued to lose distance and direction. I also like the fact that Cobra is not one of those overhyped brands. I like not being in the mainstream. I do like Callaway and have a preference for the Chrome Soft Truvis but have noticed additional distance with the Bridgestone BXS balls. I am a big fan of Jon Rahm and have noticed a lot of European players are with Callaway. I bought the hype and purchased a Tour Edge driver and was disappointed with the club and eventually sold it. I am wary of overhyped products. That’s why I will stay away from PXG. I do play the Pro V 1 and x and do notice a difference in performance. I have used an Odyssey Versa putter forever and really would like to find a good center shafted putter as I have this theory that it will help me putt straighter.

I am 68 years old with a 6 handicap. I play twice a week and willing to try new equipment .

Retired school administrator 

Titleist just looks and feels right for me. I´ve used Callaway, Ping, and TaylorMade clubs. I´m currently using PXG Gen 2 irons since 2018. I´ll be going back to Titleist irons, wedges and hybrids soon. It´s where I belong. I wish I never left.

I have the 22 and 25 degree PXG 0317X hybrids which are my go to clubs out of the rough.

I´m using 3 Vokey Black wedges though I´ve tried Cleveland. I do use a 60 deg PXG Sugar Daddy 0311T which I love.

I´m exclusive with the EVNROLL ER1 after years of the Scotty Cam Newport 2. I don´t like to switch putters. 

I use the Pro V1. Have had success with Snell, TaylorMade.
The best glove I´ve ever used is the Red Rooster brand. Oh my God it was an instant perfect fit.

I try to ignore the hidden persuasions of advertising and just rely on my feel. Somehow I don´t care for Callaway, Tour Exotics, Mizuno or Srixon.

Okay, 

I used to have a bias toward Cobra. I still have a Cobra F7 hybrid in the bag. (I'll argue the best hybrid ever made.) 

Having said that. I've had great experiences lately with PXG. Great fitting sessions. One of the few fitting sessions I've ever had that explored not only the gaps at the bottom of my bag but the gaps at the top. They also fit each club individually. Not just find a 7-iron you like and build a set around that. Interestingly enough the high end of my bag got tweaked upright. The low end got tweaked flat. The middle wasn't tweaked. The low end got tweaked weaker in order to make the gapping work out. The high end of my bag has higher swing weight than the low end of my bag. Everything was done to hit the numbers I wanted to/needed to hit with each club. Easily the best, most thorough fitting I've ever had. Plus they sent them to me with the grips shipped loose so that I could blow on my own Pure Grips Midsize DTX's. Best part, I got fit on a Sunday, I played my custom built clubs that Friday. 

I was so happy with those that I ended up getting a 3 wood and a 5 wood from them. 

So, I'd say I'm a bit of a PXG fan now. 
.... Having said that, I didn't really like the feel of any of their putters. ... They look great, but just didn't quite work/feel the way I wanted them to. 

But otherwise, I have nothing bad to say about PXG. 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

I believe Mizuno makes the best irons period.  The look and feel is unmatched anywhere. Most golfers differ to the big OEM’s and never give Mizuno a look.  Those that do play it begin to feel cult like with this club.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

This is a fun and interesting topic because some of this has to do with experience and some of it with brand marketing.

I have been and will be forever be a Ping fan.  I love how they started and what I know about Karsten Solheim, I love how they operate and I love the clubs they produce. 

The other brand that I absolutely love is Mizuno, I love their dedication to the product and the lack of marketing they do. I wanted the new JPX923's really bad, but I just couldn't afford them.

I gave Sub70 a try and I am now a big fan of theirs, I love how they treat their customers and love what they are doing. I love Ping and Mizuno, but I am on a budget so I needed something a little less expensive so I went with Sub70 and am very happy.  If I could afford extra sets, I would probably have a set of Sub70's, Ping's and Mizuno's and rotate or build each one for different conditions, if money weren't the problem I would have a very difficult time deciding.

I think Callaway is more marketing and hype than product. I haven't hit one of their clubs that I have felt good with and I haven't loved the balls either.

I have thought of TaylorMade as the driver leader and everything else is ok though the leader in drivers has begun slipping away. I do also like the TP5 balls, the little I have used them, they perform pretty well for me.

Titleist makes really good products all around but I just don't know that I get the Pro V1 thing.  I just don't play them as well as other balls and I don't understand how they are so dominant.  There are other really good balls out there and some of the DTC brands I have tried really surprised me. I like Snell and Vice. 

The other brand that I really want to do well and am rooting for is Wilson. I considered them when looking at new clubs but even Wilson's were a little more than I wanted to pay. I like having something in my bag that is different than everyone else and I wouldn't have a problem standing up for Wilson and helping people realize they make good products. That is one of my favorite things about playing Sub70's is that no one has heard of them.

The last one is PXG, when I purchased my driver I was very skeptical but the price was so good I couldn't resist at least trying it out. It is a little loud and has a strange sound but I love that, it doesn't sound like every other club. It may not be a coincidence, but it sounds like the Ping's.  If I were buying now I almost certainly wouldn't go with PXG, I am tired of hearing from them and how loud Bob Parson's is, I don't use the PXG headcover because I don't really want anyone to know I use a PXG.  I probably would be hitting a Sub70 driver instead. Figure out who you are and what you are trying to do and then we can talk. 

I don't know what this means but it was fun to get it out.

Driver      PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png      G400 Max 10.5 - Project X Even Flow Riptide CB 70g 6.5 Extra Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4W         949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
Hybrid     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       50 JB Forged Wedge Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       54 TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png                 LW       60 JB Forged Satin Wedge - Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg              L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS or Tour B X
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png

20 minutes ago, Bob Jerabek said:

I believe Mizuno makes the best irons period.  The look and feel is unmatched anywhere. Most golfers differ to the big OEM’s and never give Mizuno a look.  Those that do play it begin to feel cult like with this club.

I am with you. I hit some when demoing clubs and they felt amazing and I wanted them but I just couldn't afford them. 

Driver      PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png      G400 Max 10.5 - Project X Even Flow Riptide CB 70g 6.5 Extra Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4W         949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
Hybrid     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       50 JB Forged Wedge Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       54 TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png                 LW       60 JB Forged Satin Wedge - Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg              L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS or Tour B X
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png

... I do think one of the interesting aspects of a bias is missing out on game changing technology when sticking with one brand or boycotting another. Taylor Mades slot in the sole technology with the RBZ fairway woods was a game changer, so was the hollow headed P790 players irons. Jailbreak in the BB was also a game changer and the only Callaway driver I have played even though I have a bias against them. Cobra's Fly Z managed to get the weight low and far back in the head without excessive launch and spin and imo a Hall Of Fame driver and now most every OEM offers a driver with weight rear and low in the head. The original AP2's elevated multi material irons into the hands of Tour players but were forgiving enough for low index players. The original Tour Edge Lift Off Ironwood hybrid changed that category forever. 

I grew up playing Titleist blades, so feel was always very important to me. I definitely am biased towards Callaway and Mizuno for their woods and designing for the masses (callaway), and feel (mizuno). I have always been against Ping because of their look and feel - everything they produced never looked or felt right to me (though I think the G430 driver/woods and the i230 irons look great - I've definitely noticed over the years that there are Ping people and 'not Ping' people. 

However, I am coming to realize that everything that every company makes now is good to great, and really you have to get clubs in your hands and get fitted to see launch characteristics, etc. to see what really works for you. I have a whole bag of Callaway now - epic speed triple diamond driver, rogue st ls fairway woods, apex pro irons, 2 wedges, and Odyssey Toulon Memphis putter. I have one Vokey wedge that is great because they had a more square grind on their gap wedges than any other company. 

Also, I belong to a smaller club, so my biases are definitely influenced re: what manufacturers and distributors that they have a good relationship with, because otherwise I just don't see it on TV. Also, my biases have been influenced over the years by my friends who are professionals and who they get sponsored by. I have played the Srixon Z star ball for a few years because one of my pro friends was sponsored by them. He is now PXG who I never ever considered because of their original luxury price points and I agree with everyone re: their annoying ads! but now I'm looking at them differently too. 😊

For many years, I only played Mizuno irons and loved them.  I mainly played the game improvement irons.  A couple of years ago, I was looking for a new set of irons and found the PXG 0211's were less expensive than a set of Mizuno's.  Then last summer I purchased a used set of PXG Gen 0311XF (because of a good price) and have been very impressed.  I do not care for the over-the-top, boom-baby commercials, but the clubs are great.  

For my woods, I have played a Ping for the past several years.  First was the Ping G LST and now I have the G425 Max.  Plus I have the G410 in 3 wood.

I have tried several hybrids but the one that has stayed in my bag is the Callaway Rogue.  

I had been a devoted Scotty Cameron fan for years, until I tried a TaylorMade X Spyder putter.  I love the way the putter sits behind the ball and basically it just looks right to my eye.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

1 minute ago, David Leighton Reid said:

A couple of years ago, I was looking for a new set of irons and found the PXG 0211's were less expensive than a set of Mizuno's.  Then last summer I purchased a used set of PXG Gen 0311XF (because of a good price) and have been very impressed.  I do not care for the over-the-top, boom-baby commercials, but the clubs are great. 

... I am not sure what to make of PXG these days. With quality products and priced well below the average from other OEM's they went from a "wouldn't even demo" to a "must demo". So were the original insanely high prices a way to make a splash (albeit a negative splash for most) and then drop prices making them seem like a bargain the original game plan? Or did they wring out rich folks market and sales stalled so they went to Plan B of dropping the price to bring in a different segment of buyers? 

... The bottom line is they make an outstanding iron for every level of golfer with high index XP series to a more average player P series to the low index T series. And if you are OK with last years model they can be had for much less than other OEMs. I have never been very interested in PXG but as they started to loose screws and the price is $695 for the 0311T series 5- 9 iron with MMT graphite shafts they are now certainly on my demo list. 

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I am not sure what to make of PXG these days. With quality products and priced well below the average from other OEM's they went from a "wouldn't even demo" to a "must demo". So were the original insanely high prices a way to make a splash (albeit a negative splash for most) and then drop prices making them seem like a bargain the original game plan? Or did they wring out rich folks market and sales stalled so they went to Plan B of dropping the price to bring in a different segment of buyers? 

... The bottom line is they make an outstanding iron for every level of golfer with high index XP series to a more average player P series to the low index T series. And if you are OK with last years model they can be had for much less than other OEMs. I have never been very interested in PXG but as they started to loose screws and the price is $695 for the 0311T series 5- 9 iron with MMT graphite shafts they are now certainly on my demo list. 

I would possibly consider the latest generation PXG 0211 irons as a replacement for my current Tour Edge Exotics C721 irons with KBS Tour Graphite 80-S shafts because I am finally transitioning from stiff to regular or S/R (stiff regular) flex shafts in all of my clubs. However, I was just able to get a virtually unused set of 2022 Cobra Forged Tec X irons with KBS TGI 75-R shafts for an unbelievable price of $499 for 6-iron through AW. My only concerns about these Cobra irons is that the Forged Tec X model is a bit closer to the Exotics E721 and E722 than the C versions, and the lofts on the Cobras are super-strong (even stronger than Tour Edge E-Series irons).

Spoiler

My positive biases: 

For some reason I always get giddy seeing someone with Mizuno irons. I’m starting to get the same feeling about Sub70 irons as well. For woods, the price drops of PXG got me going on them and the whole purchasing/fitting experience was very nice! So now, whenever they release something I find myself getting excited about it. 

My only negative bias is with Taylormade. I had two separate poor experiences with Taylormade clubs and a fitting and now I just have a sour taste towards them. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here