Is It Time For A New Big Stick?

Really just curious about everyone's opinion here.

The Current Gamer:  Taylormade M1 (2017 version) w/ Tensei Blue shaft

Basically I've read the articles that say every 3-5 years is when you might see a real difference in performance. 2023 will mark the 6th year since this puppy came out.  I like this driver, but some facts:

The bad:

- I got it on eBay, it isn't fit and I honestly have no idea if its right for me.

- very inconsistent with it honestly, some days good other days really bad (that's really just me and my swing, but could fitting help? Don't know)

The good:

- I like the way it sounds and feels still

- I've kept in pretty mint shape.  No sky marks, no big dings.  Basically looks new after ~6 seasons.

Basically I just want to know if people think that, after 6 years, I'd see any noticeable performance gap if I were to actually get properly fitted.  I don't know how far tech has really come in that time. I swing ~105ish and poke it 260-275 most of the time so I'm not very short or long, but sometimes wonder, hey maybe I'm capable of 10-20 more yards.

Thoughts?    

Cheers.

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

Totally agree, just trying to self justify potential tech gains before I drop $175 just for a fitting in NYC lol 😂

Edited by Invader Zim 315

42 minutes ago, Invader Zim 315 said:

Totally agree, just trying to self justify potential tech gains before I drop $175 just for a fitting in NYC lol 😂

No chance of even going to a big box store to get a side by side comparison?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, Invader Zim 315 said:

I swing ~105ish and poke it 260-275 most of the time so I'm not very short or long, but sometimes wonder, hey maybe I'm capable of

Let's start here.   Is the 105 measured on any particular device?     Is the 260-275 total distance or carry;  we really need carry numbers since rollout can vary based on turf conditions.     What you should be capable of with a 105 swing is about 157MPH of ball speed and with optimal launch conditions carry would be about 255.    

Next you look at where on the face you hit the ball.  If you are all over the face then fitting, lessons, and/or practice to hit the center of the face might be beneficial in getting some more distance.  

Your swing speed is roughly equivalent to mine and I play a G400 Max which is roughly the same age as your driver and I have tested all the new drivers.   While they are nice,  I didn't see significant gains in ball speed on good strikes.  I do want to do some more evaluation with some of my top drivers to see if I get a little more accuracy and distance on my typical miss.   

Theo only way to know if the new drivers are better would be to hit them yourself

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Cool - good ideas all.  Probably best to just give them all a hit (at the start) to see if there's any small difference then go for the fitting to see if I could really make some gains

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 4:13 AM, Invader Zim 315 said:

Basically I've read the articles that say every 3-5 years is when you might see a real difference in performance. 2023 will mark the 6th year since this puppy came out.  I like this driver, but some facts:

The bad:

- I got it on eBay, it isn't fit and I honestly have no idea if its right for me.

- very inconsistent with it honestly, some days good other days really bad (that's really just me and my swing, but could fitting help? Don't know)

The good:

- I like the way it sounds and feels still

- I've kept in pretty mint shape.  No sky marks, no big dings.  Basically looks new after ~6 seasons.

Basically I just want to know if people think that, after 6 years, I'd see any noticeable performance gap if I were to actually get properly fitted.  I don't know how far tech has really come in that time. I swing ~105ish and poke it 260-275 most of the time so I'm not very short or long, but sometimes wonder, hey maybe I'm capable of 10-20 more yards.

Thoughts?    

Cheers.

This survival game is quite enjoyable, and you should give it a shot. Terraria is a Super Mario Bros-inspired 2D survival game. There are numerous useful items hidden throughout the game.

In general, after six years, it's possible that you may see a difference in performance if you were to get properly fitted for a newer driver. Golf club technology has advanced quite a bit in recent years, and you might find that a newer driver could help you get more distance, accuracy, and consistency.

Just getting fit is probably going to net you gains in distance and consistency.

While demoing a bunch of drivers isn’t a bad idea it’s possible to be turned off a club that could work for you because the shaft in the demo throws off the feel, weight and/or balance.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yes, absolutely do side by side LM comparisons to your current driver and let the numbers lead your decision.  Having recently moved to a golf community and having already had several demo days at our courses, I've succumb to the "tent teasers" and been hitting irons, wedges and woods. Last week I went to the Cobra tent to re-hit the ForgeTec X irons.  While there the fitter asked what driver I was playing and I told him G410P and asked, "got anything that will beat that?"  Without hesitation he responds "absolutely"... umm, okay, you have my attention 🤔.  The Aerojet was averaging 8 additional yards if carry. ($599)/(8 yards) = big decision 😆.

Interestingly, he said that had I told him I was playing the G400, he would not have been so certain in his response/results.  In his opinion, the G400 is the best driver PING has ever produced... and went on to say (off the record), "if you want to stay with PING, find yourself a good used G400".

Good luck with your search!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yes, absolutely do side by side LM comparisons to your current driver and let the numbers lead your decision.  Having recently moved to a golf community and having already had several demo days at our courses, I've succumb to the "tent teasers" and been hitting irons, wedges and woods. Last week I went to the Cobra tent to re-hit the ForgeTec X irons.  While there the fitter asked what driver I was playing and I told him G410P and asked, "got anything that will beat that?"  Without hesitation he responds "absolutely"... umm, okay, you have my attention 🤔.  The Aerojet was averaging 8 additional yards if carry. ($599)/(8 yards) = big decision 😆.

Interestingly, he said that had I told him I was playing the G400, he would not have been so certain in his response/results.  In his opinion, the G400 is the best driver PING has ever produced... and went on to say (off the record), "if you want to stay with PING, find yourself a good used G400".

Good luck with your search!

Sounds like a dream compared to my little boxshoe apartment in NYC!  There's a lot to love about this place but the inability to cater to my love of golf is not one of them!

On 1/26/2023 at 4:13 AM, Invader Zim 315 said:

The bad:

The good:

- I like the way it sounds and feels still Papa's Pizzeria

Thoughts?    

Cheers.

Technology in golf equipment has certainly advanced over the past 6 years, but the improvements may not be significant enough to warrant purchasing a new driver if you're happy with the sound and feel of your current one. That being said, getting properly fitted for a driver can help you maximize the performance of your swing and potentially gain more distance or accuracy. A professional fitting can also help you determine if your current driver is the best fit for your swing, and if not, recommend a more suitable one. So, while you may not necessarily need to upgrade your driver, a fitting could certainly be beneficial for improving your consistency and overall performance on the course.

Edited by Backis59