Edel SMS and SMS Pro Irons - 2023 Forum Review

These Edel irons are so damn sexy

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

Me! Me! Me!

I played a run round with @StrokerAce this morning… or we’ll it was more me watching Jason play golf, and I was, we’ll I’m not sure I’d call it golf. 

IMG_5144.jpeg

I love the first pic.  I played a round with another member today, but he's blurry in the background with my new irons front and center!  Nicely played.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 10.5°, Kai'li Red X
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, Evnroll Tourtac grip

On 5/18/2023 at 6:52 PM, ejgaudette said:

Here are a couple photos while I work on the first impressions.

IMG_1882.jpg.9fd6bf13d32cc5e09c4bd57342f592aa.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg.e5787f516caec6fcbcc9accdeaed670a.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg.76fbf3e6b80082073b812ad6bba1e88e.jpg

I still can’t get over just how great these look! That milled sole is awesome!

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | Mini Driver: TM.png.c0139570dc94d722d029a0fd7eb7a29d.png BRNR Mini Copper (Kai’Li Blue 70g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: 70.png.1ae5bfad62a351abc53782dad3047968.png 699 v2 Utility (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) | Irons: Callaway_Golf_Company_logo_svg.png.6bb103045bcd0cbd0a94f4616a97a811.png Ai Smoke 5-AW (Project X Denali Black) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (DG  Tour Series S400) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double-Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict. 

Wow- these irons are truly good looking- 

can’t wait to hear if they hit as well as they look

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 5/27/2023 at 11:42 AM, GolfSpy BOS said:

Me! Me! Me!

I played a run round with @StrokerAce this morning… or we’ll it was more me watching Jason play golf, and I was, we’ll I’m not sure I’d call it golf. 

IMG_5144.jpeg

However, when I did manage to hit a good shot it was with the Edel irons or a wedge. I nearly holed this 165 yard par 3 with my 7 iron. Landed short and rolled past the cup. 

IMG_5140.jpeg

Later on I hit a great approach with my 9 iron from 130 in the rough. Landed and stuck right there. 

IMG_5142.jpeg

Also had some other good shots, but my swing just wasn’t there and I was awful off the tee.  It’s a hard way to play! But I still enjoyed my time out there and am really liking what I see from the SMS Pros!

Meanwhile, back in the garage, the Cobra's were keeping busy 😉

giphy.gif

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

So I FINALLY got to hit the Edel's outdoors today, on grass.  A brief range session only, and my attempt at some video went off the rails so I'll be back to the range tomorrow to try and get some better clips.  I also plan to post some early returns from a the Full Swing simulator testing of the different weight configurations.

So, yeah, more to come tomorrow.  What I can tell you tonight...the feel of these things is incredible.  INCREDIBLE.  I'm gaming a Mizuno, yes a JPX and not an MP, but still a Mizuno.  The Edel's are hands down better for feel.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

So I did end up getting to the range Saturday and made some progress working through my early season swing issues.  My long game is in shambles but the irons are a bright spot.  I've been striking the ball better than I finished last season and am seeing a better / higher trajectory and according to my mevo slightly more distance (<5 yards) compared to the Z585s.  I'm going to try and get out to the par 3 for a few rounds just so I can see how the irons perform on their own without being put in bad spots from my errant driver or the negative effect it has on my mental game.  

I also got out for 27 holes yesterday.  This was the first round of the season with my neighbor and we were joined by his old friend from HS.  While I was practicing my chipping before the round, I returned to the carts to see the two of them admiring the clubs in my bag.  They both loved the looks and were curious about the weights and compared them to PXG irons.  I explained a bit about the weights being movable depending on your swing and what you are trying to achieve with your ball flight.  They were definitely intrigued but also a little taken back when they looked up the price.  My neighbor plays Sub70 irons that he was fitted for at their HQ so I think he was expecting something similar since they are both small boutique club manufacturers, I think it's safe to say that a new set of SMS irons are not going to be in his budget.  

As for the round, I continued to struggle off the tee but did have quite a few great shots with the irons.  I hit a few greens and actually ended up sailing 3 because these clubs definitely go farther than my gamers when I hit them pure.  This happened on a few holes where I had a 5 iron go about +15 yards twice compared to normal and a 6 iron that went for an extra 12.  Another item that I've been keeping an eye on is the 4 iron in this set.  Given my handicap and all the general advice out there of why hybrids are better, I haven't carried a 4 iron in about 20 years. However, I have always hit that hybrid (there have been a few) like junk so I took this test as an opportunity to give a 4 iron a go and have actually been been getting some good results.  Before, I would hit the hybrid so bad that I usually wouldn't because I'd be better off hitting the 5 iron but now with the SMS 4 iron, I've gotten more consistent with it and my worst shots are now on par with hitting a 5 iron and the good ones are right on target with proper gapping.  I actually smoked the club off the tee about 230 yards which is 30 more yards than I ever hit my hybrid according to Arccos so I will definitely let this experiment play out and see if I really am better with a traditional 4 in the bag.

10 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So I FINALLY got to hit the Edel's outdoors today, on grass.  A brief range session only, and my attempt at some video went off the rails so I'll be back to the range tomorrow to try and get some better clips.  I also plan to post some early returns from a the Full Swing simulator testing of the different weight configurations.

So, yeah, more to come tomorrow.  What I can tell you tonight...the feel of these things is incredible.  INCREDIBLE.  I'm gaming a Mizuno, yes a JPX and not an MP, but still a Mizuno.  The Edel's are hands down better for feel.

Have to agree with this 100%.  I actually switched from Ping G400 to the Z585 2 years ago because of the Most Wanted scores of those clubs and was amazed by the feel.  These SMS irons feel at least as good if not better.  I can't be certain if it's just the Edel heads or a combination with the steelfiber shafts, but I can tell exactly where I'm striking the ball and good shots feel amazing and poor ones are not nearly as punishing as my Z585s were with the Modus 105 shafts.  It's the best of both worlds so far.

9 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Have to agree with this 100%.  I actually switched from Ping G400 to the Z585 2 years ago because of the Most Wanted scores of those clubs and was amazed by the feel.  These SMS irons feel at least as good if not better.  I can't be certain if it's just the Edel heads or a combination with the steelfiber shafts, but I can tell exactly where I'm striking the ball and good shots feel amazing and poor ones are not nearly as punishing as my Z585s were with the Modus 105 shafts.  It's the best of both worlds so far.

Yes count me in as well in the feel. When well struck they feel awesome and are much softer than my current Mizuno irons. With that comes a really nice crack off the strike. I'll get a Rapsodo video this afternoon to highlight that sound. It really sounds just wonderful.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 5/18/2023 at 7:52 PM, ejgaudette said:

Here are a couple photos while I work on the first impressions.

IMG_1882.jpg.9fd6bf13d32cc5e09c4bd57342f592aa.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg.e5787f516caec6fcbcc9accdeaed670a.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg.76fbf3e6b80082073b812ad6bba1e88e.jpg

When I played with Bryan I told him that the irons reminded me a little of the Scotty putters with the 3 cherry dots.

They are very nice looking clubs and the brushed steel is well done.

I put one down to have a look and heel to toe it is small with a thin topline. 😲

19 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Time to get a little work in…660B29E1-18FC-42B2-93D2-D38A1AE6B27B.jpeg.56d01e8bf33a5631352cfaaeb4c0d948.jpeg

Loving those ferrules! Nice combo

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

19 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

When I played with Bryan I told him that the irons reminded me a little of the Scotty putters with the 3 cherry dots.

They are very nice looking clubs and the brushed steel is well done.

I put one down to have a look and heel to toe it is small with a thin topline. 😲

Loving those ferrules! Nice combo

Don't worry Jason.... those two guys ( @Getoffmylawn and @ejgaudette ) elected to NOT get the SMS Pro 4 iron like I did, so they won't be as scared hitting the long irons 😉 

Can't wait for the range report Hayes! 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Well now that testing is fully underway I wanted to take some time and drop in my introduction and first impressions along with the rest of the testers.

Be sure to check out their intros too and follow the thread!  Also, let us know any questions you all may have about the irons and what sort of things you'd like to see during our official test!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

what sort of things you'd like to see during our official test!

I want to see high quality golf by @Getoffmylawn and yourself at the MGS outing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I want to see high quality golf by @Getoffmylawn and yourself at the MGS outing.

Me too!!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

3 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Swing Match Weighting works, in more ways than one.

My build came with the standard 2 - 8 -2 weight setup, and last week I took them to my home course simulator to try and dial them in.  I'm going to spare you the raw numbers, but after a thorough warmup I hit 16 shots in each weight configuration, and then eliminated the three extremes on the high and low ends for distance, leaving me with 10 shots.  WARNING, INEVITABLE EXCUSE...I tweaked my lower back last week trying to set a new deadlift personal best, so I'm a little slower and these numbers are a bit off of my game speed.  But, the data still holds for purposes of the experiment.

I first hit those 16 shots with my gamer Mizuno's, then the Edel SMS Pro in the 2-8-2 weight set up, and then the 2-2-8 configuration with the 8 being closest to the heel.  These are all 7 irons.  I didn't bother to chart an 8-2-2 set up because I am a heel-biased ball striker to begin with, and after one swing in that setup I knew it was not for me.

Here's the data:

FullSwingTest.png.c5807bdb404b2ff91b7990aa89de29dd.png

First, forgive me for the spreadsheet...the Full Swing simulator I had access to did not have a printer and wasn't set up to produce aggregate reports on its own.  Second, perhaps there is more or other data that would be relevant here that I failed to track and provide.

What I can tell you, and what the data tells me, is that the positioning of the weights absolutely helps customize the club to the golfer.  As you can see, moving the heavy weight to the heel gave me more distance, better spin, and better dispersion.  Today's range session confirmed for me that I'm consistently finding the sweet spot more often, with better control of the face overall, with the weights configured for more mass in the heel:

8IronContact.jpg.4b09566129f3672921031e27e3c91913.jpg

However, there's more to this story folks.  Edel sent me 4 and 6 gram weight kits too.  More to follow!

That strike location is P.U.R.E. 🤩

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

4 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

My build came with the standard 2 - 8 -2 weight setup, and last week I took them to my home course simulator to try and dial them in.  I'm going to spare you the raw numbers, but after a thorough warmup I hit 16 shots in each weight configuration, and then eliminated the three extremes on the high and low ends for distance, leaving me with 10 shots.  WARNING, INEVITABLE EXCUSE...I tweaked my lower back last week trying to set a new deadlift personal best, so I'm a little slower and these numbers are a bit off of my game speed.  But, the data still holds for purposes of the experiment.

I first hit those 16 shots with my gamer Mizuno's, then the Edel SMS Pro in the 2-8-2 weight set up, and then the 2-2-8 configuration with the 8 being closest to the heel.  These are all 7 irons.  I didn't bother to chart an 8-2-2 set up because I am a heel-biased ball striker to begin with, and after one swing in that setup I knew it was not for me.

Here's the data:

First, forgive me for the spreadsheet...the Full Swing simulator I had access to did not have a printer and wasn't set up to produce aggregate reports on its own.  Second, perhaps there is more or other data that would be relevant here that I failed to track and provide.

What I can tell you, and what the data tells me, is that the positioning of the weights absolutely helps customize the club to the golfer.  As you can see, moving the heavy weight to the heel gave me more distance, better spin, and better dispersion.  Today's range session confirmed for me that I'm consistently finding the sweet spot more often, with better control of the face overall, with the weights configured for more mass in the heel:

However, there's more to this story folks.  Edel sent me 4 and 6 gram weight kits too.  More to follow!

Awesome post! I’m doing that this Friday night! Only instead of a tweaked back I may have a few cocktails to skew the results! Either way great data. 

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid 17.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood 24*

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 60*, SM8 54*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

9 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Here's the data:

Awesome post! I’m excited to see the difference in the 4 and 6 gram weights as well!

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | Mini Driver: TM.png.c0139570dc94d722d029a0fd7eb7a29d.png BRNR Mini Copper (Kai’Li Blue 70g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: 70.png.1ae5bfad62a351abc53782dad3047968.png 699 v2 Utility (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) | Irons: Callaway_Golf_Company_logo_svg.png.6bb103045bcd0cbd0a94f4616a97a811.png Ai Smoke 5-AW (Project X Denali Black) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (DG  Tour Series S400) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double-Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict. 

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

About to do some dew-sweeping at a course I’ve never played for my first 18 with the Edel’s.  They sure look good in the bag…

A7044EE6-B9F7-4D40-88B6-F06E66B23052.jpeg.99c412307780bd0360661b0d9a5f2465.jpeg

They look nice with those new Vokey's too 🙂 

1 minute ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

They look nice with those new Vokey's too 🙂 

Those are like a surgeon's tools sitting in that bag.  Go carve up that course!!!  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

@Lacassem, I formally challenge you to a duel!

image.png

Tomorrow's Round... Irons Only + Wedges and Putter.  NO Drivers, Woods, Hybrids, or Driving Irons.

Edel SMS Pro vs Cobra Forged Tec 2022.

Are you man enough to accept my challenge?!