Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Slight Arc Putters

GolfSpy WD

I recently won a TM Spider Putter on Golfbids only to find out today it's a SBST type of putter. So I'm going to sell it. Both of my other two putters are also SBST, so it's time for me to find a new putter.

Anyone have any suggestions for putters for someone with a slight arc in their swing? Preferably last years models that are discounted :D.

anything with about a quarter toe hang that feels good in ur hands

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

If you like mallets, the PING Nome has a slight arc version.

the nome is a great putter. stupid easy to use

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Is that just due to the shaft? Could I make my TM Spider a quarter toe hang by reshafting it?

The different versions have different amounts of offset and the shaft bend is at different "heights." If I remember, I will post a pic when I get home, I don't have a copy of it on this computer.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I just got back from Golf Galaxy, my new favorite store. The Nome is very nice, very easy to aim, and felt great. AFAIK, it was the only real mallet for flight arc strokes. Plus the manager told me he'd give me full price for my spider in trade in value.

I tried a bunch of different putters, as a brand I liked Ping best, plus there's something to be said of the putter saying right on the shaft what type of swing it's for. With the trade in offer, the Nome is a no brainer.

Let us know how it goes with the Nome after a few rounds Rick.

Personally, I'm entirely underwhelmed with that putter which amuses me given how much I like the techno show Sydney.

I find the Nome too balanaced, to the point where I'm losing the head. I also can't believe how much the ball skips off the face before it settles down. I had zero confidence in it to hold the line.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I went back to a slight arc blade putter after playing a face balanced mallet for most of last season. Picked up a Ping Redwood ZB in the WRX Starshot finish off the Bay. Very happy with it so far.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I went back to a slight arc blade putter after playing a face balanced mallet for most of last season. Picked up a Ping Redwood ZB in the WRX Starshot finish off the Bay. Very happy with it so far.

Awesome! Just when I have decided to bag a Sabertooth to be like my SunDevil brother :(

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Awesome! Just when I have decided to bag a Sabertooth to be like my SunDevil brother :(

That's pretty darn funny. I'm not going to sell it. For some odd reason, I putt better with blades on slower greens and my golf league this year is being played on a course where the greens have a bit more grain and distance control was becoming an issue.

But, if I start playing on faster greens with a lot of delicate short to mid-range putts (basically inside 8-feet) then the "tooth" will definitely go back into the bag. It's the most stable putter I've ever gamed at those distances.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

That's pretty darn funny. I'm not going to sell it. For some odd reason, I putt better with blades on slower greens and my golf league this year is being played on a course where the greens have a bit more grain and distance control was becoming an issue.

But, if I start playing on faster greens with a lot of delicate short to mid-range putts (basically inside 8-feet) then the "tooth" will definitely go back into the bag. It's the most stable putter I've ever gamed at those distances.

My Saberkitty got a facelift as well http://theputterplace.com/?p=2038

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

My Saberkitty got a facelift as well http://theputterplace.com/?p=2038

Nice. Is that your blog? I might have to try the Superstroke at some point.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 3 months later...

hi guys

this thread hasn't been alive for a while, but i have a question on putters that are fit for a slight arc.

i recently tried the ping nome in the slight arc model, and i didn't quite like it as much as i thought i would.

i currently use a hand-me-down odyssey blade (xf something, i think). and have been practising a good amount with it. i used the iPing app to determine that i have slight arc to my swing. from the readings on my app, it varies between 4.9 degrees and 6.5 degrees. that's quite a big variance, i know...

it seems like most of the time my arc is around 5 degrees closing. at least, that's where it is at when i'm consistent.

when i tried the ping nome, i also tried the odyssey #9 (in the black series tour designs range).

the odyssey felt quite nice, and it felt like i was hitting some good putts. this wast just in the store, so it is hard to tell exactly how good these putts really were.

but with all of the reading i have done lately on the different stroke types, it seems that the #9 is more suited to a strong arc type of stroke. i am now a little paranoid about getting the #9 if i would have to change my stroke.

what would you guys recommend?

what would the range be for a strong arc, degrees-wise?

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I went though this a few weeks ago with the iPing, and bought a putter and blah blah blah. The thing was that I thought I was a SBST but turned out to be a strong arc putter. So I got the putter and thought, let me say that again, THOUGHT, about the strong arc. I could not putt worth a crap. I had just sold all my "Wrong" putters because I was getting the "right" putter and I was concerned. But then I decided to not think about the stroke. And Boom. I was the greatest putter in the world for a few weeks. Then the putter grip moved but that was a different thread.

I am impressed with the iPing app. I love the fact that it recommends putters. I just wish it recommended other brands as well, but I understand why it does not. So what I did, was use the app, then tried out the Ping it said. Then I got the putter brand I wanted with the same toe hang as that one. I love my new putter (today).

Toe hang, in case you do not know is so simple. Find the balance point of the putter and balance it on one finger parallel with the ground. On a face balanced putter the face will point straight up at the sky. On a slight arc putter the toe of the putter will hang down about a 1/4 turn (less than 90 degrees probably around 45). On a strong arc putter the toe will hang down more than a 1/4 turn, probably around 135 degrees.

It is important that you not vary your natural stroke with the different putters. They should fit your putter to your swing not your swing to fit the putter.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Click the SuperStroke banner or this LINK to check out the DCF-3. As a SBST/Slight Arc guy myself, that's what I have been gaming.

(It's not quite in place yet, but I will have a great MGS reader offer on these very soon. Sorry for commercial, but it's exciting to be a MGS Sponsor!)

Check out the SuperStroke Grips and putters designed by the master putter maker Bruce Sizemore!

www.superstrokeusa.com

Click the SuperStroke banner or this LINK to check out the DCF-3. As a SBST/Slight Arc guy myself, that's what I have been gaming.

(It's not quite in place yet, but I will have a great MGS reader offer on these very soon. Sorry for commercial, but it's exciting to be a MGS Sponsor!)

Well, it certainly is a beautiful putter.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Dude, and that is a title of endearment that I only use with those that I respect, points #1 thru 5, you're reading WAY too much!!...FWIW I have a slight arc, though mentally and from a visualization standpoint, I am a SBST..And before 10 guys jump in and say that nobody has a true SBST stroke, let me say that I know that..Key word there is MENTALLY & VISUALIZE...

I went though this a few weeks ago with the iPing, and bought a putter and blah blah blah. The thing was that I thought I was a SBST but turned out to be a strong arc putter. So I got the putter and thought, let me say that again, THOUGHT, about the strong arc. I could not putt worth a crap. I had just sold all my "Wrong" putters because I was getting the "right" putter and I was concerned. But then I decided to not think about the stroke. And Boom. I was the greatest putter in the world for a few weeks. Then the putter grip moved but that was a different thread.

I am impressed with the iPing app. I love the fact that it recommends putters. I just wish it recommended other brands as well, but I understand why it does not. So what I did, was use the app, then tried out the Ping it said. Then I got the putter brand I wanted with the same toe hang as that one. I love my new putter (today).

Toe hang, in case you do not know is so simple. Find the balance point of the putter and balance it on one finger parallel with the ground. On a face balanced putter the face will point straight up at the sky. On a slight arc putter the toe of the putter will hang down about a 1/4 turn (less than 90 degrees probably around 45). On a strong arc putter the toe will hang down more than a 1/4 turn, probably around 135 degrees.

It is important that you not vary your natural stroke with the different putters. They should fit your putter to your swing not your swing to fit the putter.

thanks, Richard. i think i'm going through a bit of paralysis by analysis, or something of the sorts. i don't get to play as often as i would like, and i tend to do too much reading.

thanks also, RR.

i'll have to stop reading so much about technical things like this. the heel-toe odyssey i have right now is working fine in practice, just need to take that to the course.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Recently, I tried out some of the new Belly Putters......and I did not like any of them until I came across the Cleveland Classic Almost belly.....it is 39" and I use a 33" putter. With a 400 grm heavy head, I developed a slight arc stroke, anchoring the putter shaft against my left forearm rather than my belly. From my reading, the belly putter is designed as a SBST stroke. However, I have a much smoother stroke with a slight arc....and it works.

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_classic-black-platinum-belly-putter__classic_bp_belly__viewProd_putters.html

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Just take your putter to the green/course and clear your head of ALL the technical BS and just look at the hole, visualize the ball going along your chosen path & also visualize your stroke and then, just go through you routine and stroke the ball...

You'll be fine...After a while, your subconscious & muscle-memory will take over...

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

I don't know. There are definitely putters out there that just don't feel right. I don't totally buy all the face balanced for SBST or toe balanced for strong arc stuff, but it does give a nice starting point. For me, I can hit *some* face balanced putters just fine, but really don't do well with toe balanced putters. The mid hang, closer to face balanced works best for me. Same goes for mallets, I suck with anser style putters. It's probably just mental, but who knows...

The point is, you have to putt with something that feels right from the get-go. I played for two years with putters that just didn't work for me and I finally have something that I love. In the end it all comes down to how you aim the putter and if you can get it to go straight with your natural stroke. The flat putting greens in stores are really good for this. Once you have that, all you need to do is learn how to read greens, which just takes practice.

Just take your putter to the green/course and clear your head of ALL the technical BS and just look at the hole, visualize the ball going along your chosen path & also visualize your stroke and then, just go through you routine and stroke the ball...

You'll be fine...After a while, your subconscious & muscle-memory will take over...

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

Thanks, Richard.

MyGolfSpy is quickly becoming the Dr Phil to my overthinking of all the wrong things!

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Archived