Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MacGregor Iron Testing

mpgolf18

I see the McGregor iron testing that is being offered, how great to see that brand back. I'm 61 and remember as a kid I has MacGregor irons and Northwestern woods (when woods were wood!) I'm on the shelf for the rest of the season due to shoulder surgery, however, I hope all the testers have a great time with these clubs and find them as good as the current popular brands' clubs. Have fun.

Excited for this testing opportunity. It's been one we have had on the books for a while and have been anticipating it coming. 

They are such a good looking set and I have heard great Performance comes with that package! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Having not grown up in that era of golf, they were always the clubs you borrowed from your dad or grandpa when you went golfing so it has a bit of nostalgia for me, but for different reasons. I don’t think of the PGA players, but more so my family who used this clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Nike Vapor Fly

5 Wood: Callaway X

Irons: 4i-PW-Nike Covert VRS X

Wedges:

• Mizuno MP-T5 51 degree
  • WinningWedge SW 55 degree

Putter: White Taylormade Corza Ghost Mallet

• 4 weeks later...

I used to work at MacGregor in the late 60s until the mid 70s, during my high school and college years, when they were located in Cincinnati. We made great clubs back then…the VIPs, Tommy Armour Silver Scots, Tourney Customs, MTs, DXs, and persimmon woods, especially the deep face George Bayer model. I see the current MacGregor iron offering that will be tested is an updated version of one of their best selling vintage models, the MT wingback. It will be interesting to see what the feedback is after testing, because when I worked at MacGregor the lie angles were flatter and lofts were weaker. That said, I know I’ll get flack for saying this, but today’s “standard” club offerings being upright promote an over the top downswing, making it more difficult to swing from the inside on the downswing. Don’t get me wrong…you can play that way and have success, but I have my doubts it’s consistent.

Ireland Golf Lover

Have had the OS version in the rotation since April, and sweet Leapin' Moses are they some pretty irons. Feel is excellent, and I've had some of the best ball striking rounds in years with them. They are due for a spec-check, but these are definitely keepers. 

And I'm more than a little intrigued by the $150 MacTec driver!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

8 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Have had the OS version in the rotation since April, and sweet Leapin' Moses are they some pretty irons. Feel is excellent, and I've had some of the best ball striking rounds in years with them. They are due for a spec-check, but these are definitely keepers. 

And I'm more than a little intrigued by the $150 MacTec driver!

Is it simulated persimmon?  Wouldn't that be cool?  460 cc performance with persimmon feel?  If someone could come up with that?  Wow

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

Hey Equipment Ho's.

image.png

MacGregor MT86 Iron Final Reviews are starting to post...

What does this picture have to do with the MacGregor MT86 Irons???

1573332408680.jpeg

Check out my review here and find out...>>

What does this pi

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Nicklaus used a "McGregor" Putter to win the 1986 Masters @GolfSpy TCB!  
McGregor is BACK!! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

6 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

Nicklaus used a "McGregor" Putter to win the 1986 Masters @GolfSpy TCB!  
McGregor is BACK!! 

And the MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield Irons.  🙂 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

McGregor ... I haven't even thought of that name close to 40 years.  Nice to see it back in play.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

I saw these MacGregor wedges a few weeks ago and thought that they might be a nice alternative to the (IMO) overpriced wedges from the major brands. They also have an even less expensive "V-Foil" model that also look nice. I wonder if anyone here has had a chance to try them and what they thought of them.

https://www.amazon.com/MacGregor-Grind-Milled-Wedge-Chrome/dp/B09VNRJ3YM/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3PJRJALIN1JKY&keywords=macgregor+wedges&qid=1691603836&sprefix=macgregor+wedges%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-9

"Hit the ball like you know you can, not like you think you will."
                                                                            - Me, I say that.

54 minutes ago, Clem_Fandango said:

I saw these MacGregor wedges a few weeks ago and thought that they might be a nice alternative to the (IMO) overpriced wedges from the major brands. They also have an even less expensive "V-Foil" model that also look nice. I wonder if anyone here has had a chance to try them and what they thought of them.

https://www.amazon.com/MacGregor-Grind-Milled-Wedge-Chrome/dp/B09VNRJ3YM/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3PJRJALIN1JKY&keywords=macgregor+wedges&qid=1691603836&sprefix=macgregor+wedges%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-9

They could be a nice alternative, but honestly the Cleveland RTX wedges are pretty good as well.  I just bought my grandson 3 Cleveland wedges and he's done very well with them.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

14 minutes ago, BigMacQue said:

They could be a nice alternative, but honestly the Cleveland RTX wedges are pretty good as well.  I just bought my grandson 3 Cleveland wedges and he's done very well with them.

Most locations that sell the Clevelands still sell them for $130ish. I'm sure they're nice wedges, I chose to go with Tommy Armour cavity back 845 wedges from Dick's where they're only $79.99 each. But I fail to see why any of them are so expensive when there's not much technology or real game improvement that goes into them. They're about as basic as an iron can get, it's just a matter of shape and usability and they're almost all the same shape, same grinds, same sole options. I think companies like MacGregor, Orlimar, Ram etc, that have been proven to be good alternatives in the past could really start undercutting a lot of the market by making wedges that have options like full toe grooves, raw faces etc. That's the easiest advantage to take away from the big companies.

"Hit the ball like you know you can, not like you think you will."
                                                                            - Me, I say that.