HackMotion Training System - 2023 Forum Review

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

First, i know I’m late to the party, but congrats testers!  This was a really cool testing opportunity to see pop up for the forum and I’m really looking forward to following.

What I’m really curious about is how the training device positively impacts the golf swing from a “match up” standpoint if that makes sense.  Does Hack Motion have a recommended or ideal range that measurements need to be in?  I guess I’m already struggling to wrap my head around how the inputs help individual golfers who need different degrees of flexion or ulnar deviation, etc., to comport with the rest of their swing.

Sorry for the ramble…

This is a big question I have as well.  I have a very “strong” grip, so my wrist movement to square the clubface is different from someone with a “weak” grip.  That’s a question I’ll be asking during the onboarding. 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

27 minutes ago, DriverBreaker said:

This is a big question I have as well.  I have a very “strong” grip, so my wrist movement to square the clubface is different from someone with a “weak” grip.  That’s a question I’ll be asking during the onboarding. 

Great; please share what you hear on this point in particular!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

3 hours ago, DriverBreaker said:

Yep, my grip is insanely strong, I probably should be snap hooking it left, but I hit a high fade anyway. My swing works well enough for me, but I'm really looking forward to being able to break it down with actual numbers and data, and try rebuild it to be more consistent. I'm currently scheduled for my onboarding Tues 8pm AEST, and I'm looking forward to being able to go over everything the HackMotion can do then 

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

11 hours ago, Fongle said:

Yep, my grip is insanely strong, I probably should be snap hooking it left, but I hit a high fade anyway. My swing works well enough for me, but I'm really looking forward to being able to break it down with actual numbers and data, and try rebuild it to be more consistent. I'm currently scheduled for my onboarding Tues 8pm AEST, and I'm looking forward to being able to go over everything the HackMotion can do then 

Yeah lots of strong grip players play fades.  See it on Tour.  For me, I just set it, then don’t consciously have any rotation of the clubface in the back and downswing.  Pure body rotation.  Works well enough.  Of course feel/real can be different, so I’m really interested to see how this goes.

WITB:

So here is something I found on the Hack Motion website.  Seems like yes, they do give you ranges based on strong, neutral, and weak grips.  See images below.  It seems like they utilize Coach Scott Cowx's interpretations and patterns heavily.

Weakgripresize.jpg.6672b54030e1f131f8c46fe3e930ccc1.jpg

Neutralgripresize.jpg.6cda0f9ccad812b4d47998d6f7cf6a9a.jpg

Stronggripresize.jpg.8e6162599f48bf96a5e499d7acce245c.jpg

WITB:

More (note the highlighted text):

recommendedrangesresizse.jpg.5b62049b0c5ad8a86ba7cceec62d28ea.jpg

WITB:

IMG_0769.jpeg

WITB:

I happened to receive my HackMotion on Friday afternoon.

Unboxing

Here it is as I was unboxing.20230630_152721.jpg.2e4ab2d6de455f07567fdd4141b7e13a.jpg

20230630_152812.jpg.8f7816130816cca31695d66205e77bc5.jpgI believe it is professionally packaged and looks great.

Inside the box you will find the main unit, hand strap, glove clip, charger, and warranty and quick start guide.20230630_152925.jpg.7fbaa50480e1d34227e47cb8a5cd8d71.jpg

Getting Started 

In order to get started there is a Qr code that I scanned with my phone after I downloaded the HackMoition app. As soon as I the unit paired with my phone and app through Bluetooth it said Welcome to HackMoition Pro.

The HackMoition is basically like wearing a watch. I do wear a watch and really didn't even notice it was on. 

I decided to try it out. I opened up the app and then turned on the unit and it did a firmware update.

When you start it up you get these options:Screenshot_20230702_100358_HackMotionGolf.jpg.1932ebd483980f9bcfd5735227668ba9.jpg

I clicked on practice and you get these options:Screenshot_20230702_100415_HackMotionGolf.jpg.dcd0e66d3cce9df4832ffbfb1eca1458.jpg

I selected clubface control. There you can select if you have a strong, weak, or neutral grip. It then has preset parameters for each grip. You will also calibrate the unit by holding your hand flat and then turning up your arm to a 30 to 45 degree angle. Then it wants you to address a ball as you normally would. By staying still behind the ball it basically locks in for your starting position. 

First Impressions

At first it was a little overwhelming figuring out what to do. It is actually very simple. I just started to hit a few shots and it would tell me weather or not I was in the normal perimeters with flexion/extension on the top of my swing and also at impact. I'm pretty sure you can do custom settings on the perimeters but I didn't get that far yet.

It tells you when it has registered a shot by a sound it makes. It also will tell you if you are within the perimeters on the top of the backswing and at impact. It will count out a streak then for the correct position at the top of the backswing and also though impact. It also has a feature that you can turn on that makes a noise when you are within the proper perimeters. I found it very useful for feeling what you are supposed to be doing.

First Session Data 

There is a huge amount of data that you can get. It measures flexion/extention, alner deviation and rotation. You can also compare your swing against a pros swing. I realized very quickly that I'm a flipper of the club.

Screenshot_20230702_122823_HackMotionGolf.jpg.0765af967e0008e811ee6c7a6bb960a8.jpg

I then practiced for a while with the volume turned up with the noise that tells you when you are within the proper perimeters to get a feel of what I should be doing. My results definitely improved by doing so as you can see here.

Screenshot_20230702_122846_HackMotionGolf.jpg.cb430ee6eb1cc49f22488f0aea26c09a.jpg

Overall first Impressions are very good. I have my onboarding call tomorrow morning so I will see how that goes. I'm just scratching the surface so far but if I can continue to improve like I did in the first couple practice sessions I think the HackMoition will improve my game for sure.

Please let me know if you have any specific things you would like to see!

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

38 minutes ago, Bad Golfer said:

I happened to receive my HackMotion on Friday afternoon.

Unboxing

Here it is as I was unboxing.20230630_152721.jpg.2e4ab2d6de455f07567fdd4141b7e13a.jpg

20230630_152812.jpg.8f7816130816cca31695d66205e77bc5.jpgI believe it is professionally packaged and looks great.

Inside the box you will find the main unit, hand strap, glove clip, charger, and warranty and quick start guide.20230630_152925.jpg.7fbaa50480e1d34227e47cb8a5cd8d71.jpg

Getting Started 

In order to get started there is a Qr code that I scanned with my phone after I downloaded the HackMoition app. As soon as I the unit paired with my phone and app through Bluetooth it said Welcome to HackMoition Pro.

The HackMoition is basically like wearing a watch. I do wear a watch and really didn't even notice it was on. 

I decided to try it out. I opened up the app and then turned on the unit and it did a firmware update.

When you start it up you get these options:Screenshot_20230702_100358_HackMotionGolf.jpg.1932ebd483980f9bcfd5735227668ba9.jpg

I clicked on practice and you get these options:Screenshot_20230702_100415_HackMotionGolf.jpg.dcd0e66d3cce9df4832ffbfb1eca1458.jpg

I selected clubface control. There you can select if you have a strong, weak, or neutral grip. It then has preset parameters for each grip. You will also calibrate the unit by holding your hand flat and then turning up your arm to a 30 to 45 degree angle. Then it wants you to address a ball as you normally would. By staying still behind the ball it basically locks in for your starting position. 

First Impressions

At first it was a little overwhelming figuring out what to do. It is actually very simple. I just started to hit a few shots and it would tell me weather or not I was in the normal perimeters with flexion/extension on the top of my swing and also at impact. I'm pretty sure you can do custom settings on the perimeters but I didn't get that far yet.

It tells you when it has registered a shot by a sound it makes. It also will tell you if you are within the perimeters on the top of the backswing and at impact. It will count out a streak then for the correct position at the top of the backswing and also though impact. It also has a feature that you can turn on that makes a noise when you are within the proper perimeters. I found it very useful for feeling what you are supposed to be doing.

First Session Data 

There is a huge amount of data that you can get. It measures flexion/extention, alner deviation and rotation. You can also compare your swing against a pros swing. I realized very quickly that I'm a flipper of the club.

Screenshot_20230702_122823_HackMotionGolf.jpg.0765af967e0008e811ee6c7a6bb960a8.jpg

I then practiced for a while with the volume turned up with the noise that tells you when you are within the proper perimeters to get a feel of what I should be doing. My results definitely improved by doing so as you can see here.

Screenshot_20230702_122846_HackMotionGolf.jpg.cb430ee6eb1cc49f22488f0aea26c09a.jpg

Overall first Impressions are very good. I have my onboarding call tomorrow morning so I will see how that goes. I'm just scratching the surface so far but if I can continue to improve like I did in the first couple practice sessions I think the HackMoition will improve my game for sure.

Please let me know if you have any specific things you would like to see!

Looking forward to following along with your progress.  For me, I have little doubt this will aid your practice. My concern/question with this product, and really most any training aid, is how to know if you’re practicing the right things for your swing and game.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

51 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Looking forward to following along with your progress.  For me, I have little doubt this will aid your practice. My concern/question with this product, and really most any training aid, is how to know if you’re practicing the right things for your swing and game.

Very valid point!  This is what people tell me all they time once they come take lesson(s) from me.  They waste much time practicing things that don’t actually translate to what they need.  YouTube self-diagnosing.

The main benefit of this, at least from a self-help standpoint, much like TrackMan etc., would be giving yourself baseline parameters to start with, then experiment with something to see cause/effect and then know if you are on the right track (ball flight can be king there).  However, seeing someone like a coach and coming with that data would likely be a better long-term approach.  Or potentially more efficient anyways. 

WITB:

45 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I agree with you on that. I did notice that I started to hit ball better and more consistent. I did hook up my Garmin r10 at the same time and for some reason it was showing that overall distance was actually more than my usual but it was as if I was topping everything. I'm not sure if both of them hooked up to my phone at the same time caused interference or if I had the R10 setup to high and it thought I was topping everything. I will try again hopefully today after work as long as it isn't thunderstorming.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Same.  Wondering if the testers will start experiencing data overload.   People get to this point with launch monitors and end up chasing numbers that may or may not be beneficial.    I have reached that point with the ShotScope so I took out the sensors.  Been a few rounds and I feel like it has freed me up a little bit. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Same.  Wondering if the testers will start experiencing data overload.   People get to this point with launch monitors and end up chasing numbers that may or may not be beneficial.    I have reached that point with the ShotScope so I took out the sensors.  Been a few rounds and I feel like it has freed me up a little bit. 

Data overload is definitely a real phenomenon.  Best practice would be to focus on one parameter per practice session.  The brain can only feasibly focus with maximum effort on one thing at a time.  Just ask my wife when she’s talking to me and I’m trying to multi-task. 

WITB:

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

People get to this point with launch monitors and end up chasing numbers that may or may not be beneficial. 

Look, within the first week of purchasing my launch monitor, I may or may not have been guilty of engaging in a little 'numbers go brrr' with my swing speed and ball speed before dialling it back and getting actually useful information.

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

4 hours ago, DriverBreaker said:

Data overload is definitely a real phenomenon.  Best practice would be to focus on one parameter per practice session.  The brain can only feasibly focus with maximum effort on one thing at a time.  Just ask my wife when she’s talking to me and I’m trying to multi-task. 

I agree with what you say on this regarding one parameter, I think the Hackmotion system kind of makes you focus on your wrist flex. I think you can largely ignore the parameters that you want to and focus solely on the data you want to work on, just trying to incorporate all of it and trying to increase distance/speed would be too much at once 😂

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Congratulations to the testers selected.  I look forward to reading your reviews and seeing how well this product works.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to 2023 MGS Forum Test: HackMotion Training System

I had a good onboarding call with Hack Motion this morning.  Will write up a debrief of the call when I have some time later tonight perhaps. 

WITB:

Just got an update saying my parcel has arrived at home, and I have my onboarding tonight, will post a bigger update later with an unboxing and impressions, and info from the onboarding 

Onboarding call was solid overall.  Martins was very cordial, professional, and helpful.  He confirmed what I found online and said that the ranges are highly dependent on starting position and grip at address.  Namely, the point is to return the wrist back to impact close to where you started and most need to lean toward more flexion (bowing) than they had at address to have a square face and a straight lead arm/shaft relationship at impact.  

I would agree, in general, as these are sound mechanics based on ball flight laws, principals of impact, leverage, efficiency, etc. 

He gave me a demo walkthrough of the setup, calibration, and navigation of the app.  He answered some questions I had about best practices for use, who can get an on boarding call, and other minor things.  I actually had to cut the call short to go give a lesson, but I was impressed with their desire to make sure users understand the process and app.

I waited until I got home tonight to actually take my first swings with the Hack Motion.  More to come on that over the next few days.  But overall, it was extremely easy to set up, the app is very clean, and the unit connects to your phone/tablet extremely quickly. 

WITB:

I had my onboarding call with Martins yesterday morning. We discussed going through the app the data and any questions or issues I might have.

The call was great as Martins is very informative and was willing to explain and demonstrate the couple of questions that I had. 

He was not persuasive as far as making sure that we gave the product a positive review. He just wanted to make sure I knew how to properly use the HackMoition. 

He said that anyone that would purchase a HackMoition would be able to contact them and they will answer and help them out on any questions or issues they might have.

One thing I noticed when using the HackMoition while practicing and walked away from my phone and when I came back to it my practice session ended. Martins said that is because the sensor lost connection with my phone. I asked him if there was any way to resume the practice session and there is not. He was going to contact his IT team to see if they can put something in the app to be able to resume the session if your sensor lost connection with your phone.

I will continue to update as I use the HackMoition more and dig through more data.

Just got off a red-eye from San Diego to Philly.  Kids are beat.  Going to be an interesting 4th…

Edit:  this was supposed to be in the Good Morning Thread.  Sorry about that…

Excited to see the feedback on these. Am I reading the website correctly that the $1k version is required to get radial/ulnar numbers?

WITB: Cobra LTDxLS 9.5*; Taylormade RBZ 15*; Callaway FT 21* hybrid; PXG 0311xf Gen 5 25* hybrid; Mizuno MP52 (5-PW); Edel TRP G 50*; Edel DRV S 54*; Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5; Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, EZlife007 said:

Excited to see the feedback on these. Am I reading the website correctly that the $1k version is required to get radial/ulnar numbers?

Indeed, the differences in price boil down to what level of analysis you have access to. Club face control is the basic, next tier is club face and putting, pro version is all data, and full analysis.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

3 hours ago, DriverBreaker said:

It does go to show, much like any piece of technology, that if you don’t get it setup and calibrated properly, your data will be off, and you could waste your time chasing numbers that are not accurate to begin with.  If I hadn’t checked the calibration, I would’ve practiced way too much flexion in the downswing (for my strong grip).  Then I would be pull hooking balls next time I played. 

That is one excellent piece of analysis!!

Speaks to a lot of questions that have been raised in here, and that have popped up in my mind, as I'm reading through this thread.

Which leads me to wonder -- and this is more of an OEM product development team question, vs to this group of reviewers, but -- wouldn't it make sense for the unit .. on startup each time .. have an AUTO-CALIBRATE function that measures how the user sets up at address and then *it* sets all the proper parameters and ranges, etc..??

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Speaks to a lot of questions that have been raised in here, and that have popped up in my mind, as I'm reading through this thread.

Which leads me to wonder -- and this is more of an OEM product development team question, vs to this group of reviewers, but -- wouldn't it make sense for the unit .. on startup each time .. have an AUTO-CALIBRATE function that measures how the user sets up at address and then *it* sets all the proper parameters and ranges, etc..??

It only takes a few seconds to calibrate. Then it takes a reading as you address the ball as you normally would and you can see on your phone screen it will slowly turn green. Once it completely turns green it will then ask you if you are happy with the way you addressed the ball or if you would like to redo the reading. If you are happy with it then it already has preset parameters to keep you in that range.

It has different parameters based on whether you have a strong, weak, or neutral grip.

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

I get why they want to have you calibrate to zero (flat lead wrist straight to the elbow).  That’s the reference point everything is built upon.  Without the zero reference point, I’m not sure how it could feasibly calibrate.  If it counts user’s address position as zero, then that could work. Is that what you’re saying? 

WITB:

2 hours ago, Bad Golfer said:

It only takes a few seconds to calibrate. Then it takes a reading as you address the ball as you normally would and you can see on your phone screen it will slowly turn green. Once it completely turns green it will then ask you if you are happy with the way you addressed the ball or if you would like to redo the reading. If you are happy with it then it already has preset parameters to keep you in that range.

It has different parameters based on whether you have a strong, weak, or neutral grip.

I didn’t see that where it asks if you are happy with your address position.  Was that in full swing analysis mode?

WITB:

12 hours ago, DriverBreaker said:

I didn’t see that where it asks if you are happy with your address position.  Was that in full swing analysis mode?

Yes Sir. 

So far the full swing analysis mode is very interesting. Especially when you go into the swing graph and compare your swing to a pros swing. I can get close on the top and impact positions but I'm miles away from the rotation. I'm not even sure how to get my rotation even similar to what a pro does.