Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Good morning..looking for new irons for a mid 90 golfer

There is going to be a common theme with replies so I will try and get infront of it.

Everyone is going to be very different. Of course what works for one may not work for another. Best possible thing you can do is go to a shop to get fit or even just try some different irons. There are tons out there! 

Depending on budget there are also some great DTC (Direct to consumer) brands out there which have been highlighted this year in our member testing. These include Caley, Sub70, Takomo and others to consider are Haywood and New Level. 

Best thing you can do is go try some different irons, see what works for you. What you like and what shaft may work best then go from there. Check out some of the Forum Testing Reviews as the Takomo 101 are a forgiving option, 101t as well. Sub70 699 and 699 pro as well as 749 which was released. Callaway Paradym Irons are another option. Cobra still makes great irons in the Aerojet series and Forged Tec... Caley the 01 and 01t are super clean and look to be forgiving good models.... the list goes on and on and on. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Hit everything you can.  What you “think” you will like based on YouTube reviews and stuff you may actually hate.

even with my sim2os, a super game improvement iron, I can absolutely hit a s*** shot fat/thin what have you.

Edited by skraeling

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

21 minutes ago, Hippie33 said:

I just started playing golf 3 years ago after not playing for 20 years. I'm looking for a set irons that is forgiving. Right now I'm hitting Cobra I bought used online, never got fitted. Need some opinions. Thank you for your input.

Good morning, number 1 get fitted, -number 2, be patient, -number 3, set achievable goals, -number 4, have fun.... check out some of the reviews from the "testers" on this site regarding clubs, that will help you in your decision..

committed to performance excellence

Since I switched to call away rogue irons and practiced using these clubs I lowered my score by 7 strokes but one thing very important = you must practice and lean to use the clubs

Is there anything else in life than golf

I have been using some older AP1s, but I will say that getting fitted or at least trying out a bunch of different clubs with different shafts is ideal.  I have picked up a few clubs and when I set them up at address, the look to my eye immediately throws me off.  I have recently begun to understand how swing speed affects the need for different shafts and it has made a world of difference in my game!

WITB: 12 Degree Paradym X Driver, 16 Degree TaylorMade Rescue, 3-W 710 AP1, 56 Vokey, Beached Newport SC Putter

Go get fitted, it's free at golf big box stores, and you don't have to buy then and there - although you could. Once you have a good idea what your specs are and what brands/heads you like, you can get a more serious fitting (though I don't recommend Club Champion). I am playing Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons, and I just bought JPX923 Hot Metal Pros. Plenty forgiving enough for me. Good luck.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

17 minutes ago, Waffle418 said:

I have recently begun to understand how swing speed affects the need for different shafts and it has made a world of difference in my game!

It’s more about the overall characteristics of your swing and not just speed.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You have received some excellent advice already, so all that I feel a need to add is that wherever and by whomever you get fitted, make sure that the fitter is “brand agnostic”. In other words, be sure that they do not offer clubs from one (or a small number of) manufacturers. This will give you access to a much broader range of options. Any fitter who is competent will be able to narrow your options to a few iron models rather quickly and then you and the fitter can work together to settle on the irons and shafts that fit your swing, game and visual preference (yes, looks can be quite important to many golfers).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!