Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What's the best tip you have ever received, and how did it change your game?

The best tip I ever had was to read the book: "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose".  written by Pia Nilsson & Lynn Marriott (Annika Sorenstam's coaches)
The book provided & still provides a great mental outlook to the game and some basics to approaching the game we take for granted. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, nor your handicap level, I found the book to give a good structure to approach the game and great reference! In addition, as @cnosil stated, find a good instructor one your comfortable with & who can teach you good fundamentals. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I took a 3 Credit Hour Golf class in college.  The instructor was a Golf Digest published Philosophy professor.  He corrected everything from my grip and stance to how to create and maintain a preshot routine.  He taught me how to find my contact point and track club distances.  We worked on how to analyze rounds by keeping track of fairways hit, short game stats and everything in between. But the one thing he said makes you better is to just PLAY! and keep playing.  Strangely enough he rarely talked about Philosophy.  Initially the more I played I got alot worse.  I went from shooting 98 - 105 to suddenly I was shooting 115 - 132 and it was horribly frustrating but I tracked everything and he said keep playing.   Suddenly, everything "clicked".    I was shooting in the mid 90's and then broke 90 and eventually, a few years later and alot of playing, broke 80.  

Bottom line.  Just play.

Couple for me. 

1. chipping. Line up. Lean left (if your a righty) to move you center of gravity and then chip. Helps you get better contact each time. 

2.  Chipping. Line the ball in the back of your stance to keep it lower. Front of stance to keep it higher. 

3. Rhythm. back swing count 1,2,3 down swing counts 1. 

4. don’t swing harder on your real swing than your practice swing. 

5. You’re not good enough to get mad  just enjoy the game  

6. Also, heard Dustin Johnson say this. the range is for trying things. The course is for playing. Just go out and play. Don’t try to work on your swing while on the course. 

Edited by SethGolf15

Seth - Always up for Golf in NE Florida 

20 hours ago, Johnny_Clocks said:

Seems like it would have been easier to not respond than to invalidate my question. 

I was really just trying to start a conversation, not “relying on tips”.

I agree with you. That seems to be the point of having a forum. Then again maybe his comment was his 'tip'.

An old timer I played with for years RIP , would tell me when my game was going bad, he would say just take two weeks off then quit

Driver Callaway Maverick Max 9 degree with Graphic design ADShaft

3 wood Callaway Big Bertha

Hybrids both Taylormade Stealth 3 and 5 with Graphic design AD shafts

irons Callaway Maverick Max 5 to Gap

2 Cleveland Wedges 54 and 58

I have only took one lesson ever and the tip he gave me changed my game forever. The tip was if your grip is wrong it doesn'tmatter how good your swing is. Ever since then as long as i focus on getting my grip correct before each shot I've played so much better!  

Driver - Titleist TSR3 

3-wood- PING G10 

3 Hybrid- Taylormade M2 

Irons- Taylormade R9 

Gap Wedge- Cleveland CG12 

Lob wedge- Cleveland CG10 

Putter- Odyssey 2-Ball White hot 

Would agree with the sentiment that actual instructor time is usually well worth it, as they can see and touch you, so while YouTube videos have a place, instructors will make more progress. That said, probably the best "tip" I ever got was around my putter swing.  I have a moderate to strong putter arc, which I didn't really notice so much before (it just felt natural to me), and while it is ok to have it, there are also putter fittings that can address that.  I went to a putter fitter and he measured it and i changed my putter to one that was engineered for that kind of stroke.  I think it has helped over time as I typically don't have a lot of 3 putts anyway. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

21 minutes ago, Duxman130 said:

I can tell you the best tip I've given when asked by once-per-week players on how to improve.

"Quit Golf"

Can’t say that I fully support this comment. Even minor improvements can increase one’s enjoyment of the game and make one feel better about themselves as a player.  Ultimately that is all us amateurs are looking for.

The best advice I have received actually came from this forum.  How I play on the course doesn’t affect my life off the course. It doesn’t increase or decrease the love I give or receive from my family and friends. It doesn’t affect my job or ability to provide for my family.  I am not, nor ever will be a pro, so trying to hold myself up to the standards that are seen on the TV weekly is only going to bring frustration and disappointment in my game.

I agree that instruction from a professional coach is the best way to improve if you are interested in total game improvement. However, if you are a weekend hacker just looking to make yourself feel better about your game then relish the small improvements. Celebrate a round with no triple bogeys. Reflect on those couple great shots you had.  Allow yourself to build on the small positives rather than tearing down your game from the negatives.

If there is a specific area of your game that is really bothering you then focus only on that area for the time being. Bogging yourself down with to many swing corrections, ball positions, club changes, etc, etc, etc, will only breed more frustration.

I fully believe that increased game enjoyment leads to game improvement. 

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

Swing like you’re throwing the club … like a helicopter. Helped my release. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

If ball striking is off practice chipping and short pitching to get solid contact back on point then do "hard aggressive short pitching" almost like a short swing building solid contact back. It's amazing when I go back to this how effective I can be getting around the course with solid contact and shorter swings. I think of it as full pitches rather than full swing making it easier for the brain to process. I eventually work back to full swing but anytime that gets off track I go back to the shorter swing and the thought that I'm hitting full pitches. It's amazing when your mind thinks of it differently, simpler, it can make it feel easier. I do this with any club including driver. One more thing, stand athletically, taller and let the arms hang naturally.

Have fun!

Kevin WP

Best tip I ever got was actually from my Dad.  He always used to say "Tempo, 1-2-3, 1-2."  If I ever get out of sorts on the course I usually remind myself to check my tempo.  Keeps me from getting quick and starting my downswing before I finish my backswing and helps keep my sequence in check. 

Some times I'll even say it out loud during a practice swing.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

For me - my miss is usually a pull shot left of target.  Drives me crazy some days...

A very good golfer and friend told me to think of my right shoulder, feel like its going UNDER your chin on your downswing and NOT AROUND your chin.

Obviously, it can't physically go under my chin, but that's the feeling I think of.

He told me this over a decade ago and to this day, I still use it when a case of the 'pulls' happen.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

1 minute ago, Peejer said:

For me - my miss is usually a pull shot left of target.  Drives me crazy some days...

A very good golfer and friend told me to think of my right shoulder, feel like its going UNDER your chin on your downswing and NOT AROUND your chin.

Obviously, it can't physically go under my chin, but that's the feeling I think of.

He told me this over a decade ago and to this day, I still use it when a case of the 'pulls' happen.

I have been dealing with this problem as well. Some of it has been gripping the club too firmly and coming through with a straight swing plane, but closed clubface. Very good tip though. Somebody recently had me swinging out more by putting a Tee above and left of the ball and swinging towards a Tee.

Danny Darts

Two different tips for me...both driver related. 

1. Like most everybody I struggled with a slice until being told to "Imaging standing in the batter's box and swing at the second baseman" Being a baseball player I could relate and while being somewhat counter-intuitive to swing the direction I didn't want the ball to go I was rid of the slice almost immediately.

2. Relax!  Relax to the point that if you relax any more you will soil yourself:-)  Seems like when I am struggling on the tee box (which is more often than I like to admit) I find that I am tensing up and when I consciously relax before swinging, it usually has a positive impact on the resluts.

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

For my game, hit through the ball, not at it. Helps my ball striking immensely when I start spraying it.  

WITB

In my opinion, short game tips are the best if you are perusing the internet.  Some will work, some won't.  Listen, try and practice. Ten abandon or practice more.  Lee Trevino, Phil Mickelson, Tiger, any of those guys will give great tips in their clinics that they do at tourneys.  The game changing tip I received was from Tiger.  Two of the courses I am a member at have  grainy grass around the green that sometimes catches the club or ball, sometimes it doesn't.  One of the tips was to chip with the heel up.  The other was to  attention to how the grass acts when you are getting your short shot lined up AND look at where the ball will land.  When brushing the grass, is it laying down after the stroke or standing up after the stroke.  That helps determine how well the ball will release or grab when it lands on the fringe.  That tip helped me make my mind up on two things.  1.  What speed to swing through the shot with or  2. fly it on the green or change loft of my chipping club to give it more speed through the fringe.  That was back in the 2000's when I was a single digit and it helped me get to a plus handicap.  I got up and down for par a lot more often on par 4s and 3s when I missed the green and made more birdies on par 5s.   

When it comes to the swing, I personally would not listen to anything on the internet.  Find a good instructor in your area and stick with them.  Stay off Instagram and the internet listening to short tidbits about how to fix something or do something right  Hint, you might have something else that completely causes it, a physical impairment that keeps it from happening or that isn't a problem AT ALL. The people on the other side of the internet do not know your swing type, flexibility or any other information that could very quickly change how you SHOULD do things.  So the tip you are listening to may sound good, but it actually doesn't apply to you.  

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Smoke Ai Triple Diamond Kaili White 60X

3 Wood:   :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Smoke Ai Triple Diamond Project X Denali 70X

5 Wood:   :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha (2004 model) w/Aldila ATX Tour Blue 85TX

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: TSi2 21⁰ Hybrid w/Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X

Irons:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex Pro '24 4-PW w/KBS Tour-V 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Tour Rack Raw 50, 56 and 60 w/Dynamic Gold S400.

Putter:  image.png.f982a1cda34892094275907ab80330c5.png Frontline Elite Elevado Custom Face Balanced Single Bend

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

https://www.daltongcc.org/

My best tip I got was a number of years ago (sometime in the 80's) when I was about an 18 handicap.  Saw a Tom Watson article in Golf magazine about strategy on long approaches, and how hitting a long iron or fairway wood (this was before hybrids) to a green was high-risk, low-reward, even a slight miss would put you in green side trouble (bunkers, moguls, heavy rough, etc).  A better strategy would be to layup and hit a comfortable shot you feel you can almost guarantee to get on the green.  So I dedicated a year, that if I was 200 yds out or more, I would layup to 100 yds, even if it meant hitting PW or SW twice.  My handicap dropped that year from 18 to 13, my wedge play got SO much better, and I just got much better thinking around the course, where to hit it for my best chance of hitting the green.  I still follow this practice, 30-35 years later as a 67-year old and now as a 7-8 handicap.

I have two, one was from my dad having me golf righty instead of lefty. Was too enveloped as a lefty batter in baseball that being a righty in golf I think helped me.

The other actual advice has benefited me more over the last 2 years and that is “80% swing 100% distance”. While obviously I don’t swing 80% all the time it’s more of a reminder that I need to swing easy and smooth not rushed, I am significantly more consistent and longer because of better contact. Thanks @GolfSpy BOS

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!