Has MGS ever tested new vs. used clubs head-to-head

I got an Email from a retailer this morning and it was titled “New vs. Used” and when I clicked it, it was about price difference between new and used (it was moderately substantial between the two depending on condition).

But, that got me thinking. Has MGS, or any one of the testers here, ever done a performance comparison of the same club head-to-head new versus used. I’m talking same manufacturer, same model, same loft, same shaft, same grip, same everything but a New/10 version versus a Like New/9, version versus a Good/8 version versus an Average/7 version versus a Poor/6 or below version?

I am very intrigued to see if condition effects performance and at what level (if any) does it drop off and how it correlates to price savings/reductions (which I know many members here would be interested in).

Is there a difference for performance drop off by condition for drivers/woods versus irons or wedges (I’m sure used wedges would have to be less effective since they tell us to replace them after 75 rounds right?)? 

Curious if this could potentially be a future episode of Golf Science. Thoughts?

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

54 minutes ago, frazzman80 said:

I got an Email from a retailer this morning and it was titled “New vs. Used” and when I clicked it, it was about price difference between new and used (it was moderately substantial between the two depending on condition).

But, that got me thinking. Has MGS, or any one of the testers here, ever done a performance comparison of the same club head-to-head new versus used. I’m talking same manufacturer, same model, same loft, same shaft, same grip, same everything but a New/10 version versus a Like New/9, version versus a Good/8 version versus an Average/7 version versus a Poor/6 or below version?

I am very intrigued to see if condition effects performance and at what level (if any) does it drop off and how it correlates to price savings/reductions (which I know many members here would be interested in).

Is there a difference for performance drop off by condition for drivers/woods versus irons or wedges (I’m sure used wedges would have to be less effective since they tell us to replace them after 75 rounds right?)? 

Curious if this could potentially be a future episode of Golf Science. Thoughts?

I have never seen an MGS test on this other than older model versus newer model performance comparisons.  I think it would be had to classify club grades as that are opinion based.  Is an unused club that has had all the paint removed and is basically bare metal a 10 or 6?  How about dents?   Also, once you hit a club is considered used so we all hit used clubs. 

IMO, the basics of new vs used is:

• Woods/hybrids:  no grooves to worry about so what gets impacted is stability of face.  You would probably see faster ball speeds off the face as a wood gets used more until the face fails. Probably need higher swing speeds to see this.
  • irons/wedges: loss of grooves and friction off the face which would I,pact spin numbers.
  • putters: unless there is damage to the face probably no impact.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have never seen an MGS test on this other than older model versus newer model performance comparisons.  I think it would be had to classify club grades as that are opinion based.  Is an unused club that has had all the paint removed and is basically bare metal a 10 or 6?  How about dents?   Also, once you hit a club is considered used so we all hit used clubs. 

IMO, the basics of new vs used is:

• Woods/hybrids:  no grooves to worry about so what gets impacted is stability of face.  You would probably see faster ball speeds off the face as a wood gets used more until the face fails. Probably need higher swing speeds to see this.
  • irons/wedges: loss of grooves and friction off the face which would I,pact spin numbers.
  • putters: unless there is damage to the face probably no impact.  

I don’t know, second-hand retailers give grades to any/all used clubs, so I’m not sure that is as difficult as you noted.

You might be right about results, but it would be interesting to see if $150-$250 less for the exact same driver and upwards of $500 less for the exact same used irons perform as well or nearly as well as the brand new ones.

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

2 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

I don’t know, second-hand retailers give grades to any/all used clubs, so I’m not sure that is as difficult as you noted.

You might be right about results, but it would be interesting to see if $150-$250 less for the exact same driver and upwards of $500 less for the exact same used irons perform as well or nearly as well as the brand new ones.

I also read comments about how bad some of the grading is on clubs so it isn't a clear cut as you want to make it.

If in good condition and treated well they will perform the same.  roughly 5 years is life expectancy before new drivers might be better and irons are probably longer. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

However, I've started to see Sellers on eBay under-rating their clubs with a "value" rating. to keep Buyer's expectations low.  Callaway Pre-Owned also did the same thing - don't know if they still do, but feedback used to indicate that they shipped nicer clubs that their description indicated.

Plenty of quality pictures really help.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

• 3 weeks later...

Too much variance in second hand clubs to provide any feedback of value I'd say.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver 9, Oban Devotion 45-03 | Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 + 5 Wood, Oban Revenge 65-03 | Mizuno HiFli 16.5 2 Iron | Titleist T200 4-GW Irons, KBS Tour 110 R | Titleist Vokey Design SM9 Chrome SW & LW (54/12D, 60/12D) | Odyssey Versa Seven Putter  Titleist Pro V1x | Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022 | Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder | Golf Pride MCC ALIGN (Standard) Grips |