Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Craftsman Golf Lightweight Carry Bag - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy TCB

This looks like a really good functional bag.  The angled water holster pocket is very clever.  Never seen that.  The bag looks great.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

10 hours ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

image.png

www.craftsmangolf.com

Craftsman Golf Stars and Stripes Lightweight Stand Bag

Official MGS Forum Review by GolfSpy TCB

20230819_190657.jpg

Introduction:

Many of you know me.  I’m @golfspy TCB, and I am on the administration staff for the MGS Forum.  What my fellow staffers know… but you may not, is that I LOVE golf bags.  Of course… I also LOVE what goes in those golf bags… but over the course of the years, I have accumulated a surprising number (at least that is what my wife tells me) of golf bags.  All Shapes and Sizes… like Tiger’s Red and Black, Jack’s Yellow, Arnie’s Pastel Sweater or Rickie’s Orange… I have a bag for every occasion. 

So, as I was working with the team at Craftsman Golf on the Headcover Member Test (see that review here), Craftsman asked if I would test one of their new products – A Lightweight Carry Bag.  Previously researching Craftsman for Headcovers (shopping for myself and subsequently for the Member Test), I had noticed that they offered a variety of “Sunday Bags”, and wasn’t sure if that small profile would fit my needs.  But as I discussed the testing opportunity more, I realized that they were targeting their full size carry bag.  From their website:

image.png

The bag also comes with a rain cover, which unfortunately I haven’t yet been able to utilize as I am in the middle of one of the hottest summers ever in Houston, Texas.  However, here is a stock image of the cover for reference:

image.png

The Review:

image.png

Overview:

What I look for in a bag, and I believe what other golfers also target in a bag, is different from bag to bag, and need to need.  This isn’t designed to be a Staff Bag that can carry your entire garage and closet contents to the course.  This also isn’t designed to be specifically a back of the Electric Cart Bag.  But it functions well in both those areas for what it is.

The target audience for this bag is the golfer looking to hit the course on foot with their set of clubs, a sleeve or two of balls, a bottle of water and a few accessories… without being bogged down by the weight of the bag adding to the enjoyment of a summer day on the course.  In this Bag Category, the bag should fit comfortably on the shoulders and strap positioning should offer nice balance as you walk down the fairway (so you don’t have to “hold” your clubs in the bag the while you are looking for your ball).  Additionally, the storage pockets should be easily accessible and not interfere with the carry experience. 

These are the areas I decided to test.

First Impressions:

Upon my unboxing, I was pleasantly surprised at the packing and the lightweight nature of the bag.

Some of the initial highlights for me… the handle at the top is comfortable and fits my hand very well.

image.png

The padded body patch where the bag will rest against me is positioned well.

image.png

The back strap handle is well made, and the shoulder straps are easy to access, and seem to fit well on my shoulders with the bag across my back.

image.png

Bag construction, padding around the top of the bag, stitching throughout the bag, and the towel/accessory holders all are very well done.

image.png

One thing I always test first on a stand bag is the quality of legs and spring stand.  In the case of the Craftsman Bag,  I found the stand mechanism to be quality, and the rubber feet at the bottom of the bag held the bag at attention even on my slick foyer floor.

image.png

I also really like the leg straps to make the bag easily usable on a pull cart, or an electric cart without engaging the stand mechanism.

image.png

All in all I couldn’t find anything to nit pic about on the Craftsman Stars and Stripes Carry Bag from my first impressions.  I am deducting one point just for lack of color options available.  The Stars and Stripes theme is the only available option for this style bag on the website – had there been other color options I would have probably ordered a different option.  However – that is only on the First Impression category…. I am ultimately happy with the color scheme as I talk about in the Aesthetics section below:

First Impression Score: 19.0 out of 20. 

Aesthetics: 

I am a traditionalist by heart, which is to say I’m more in keeping with...The Arnold Palmer look

image.png

rather than … oh… let’s say… Ian Poulter:

image.png

So, the Stars and Stripes Craftsman Bag was a little loud initially for my taste.  As I mentioned above, had other options been available, I most likely would have gone a different color direction.  That said, another color option would have looked like other bags I have, and this color scheme is the bag option I didn’t know I wanted, and there is definitely a place for it in my bag arsenal.  Especially as an accessory piece during play at the various Holiday Tournaments I play during Independence Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, and of course anytime during the Ryder Cup, President’s Cup and Olympics tour events to show my support for the USA.  So Basically, it didn’t take me long to start loving the Stars and Stripes bag.  Of all my bags, I have received more positive comments from fellow golfers on this Craftsman Stars and Stripes Bag. 

image.png

I was happy to show off the bright and bold colors of this bag at my home course.  Maybe I am a little more Ian Poulter than I care to admit… 😉

Honestly, The Craftsman Stars and Stripes bag just LOOKS GOOD on the course.

image.png

Aesthetics Score: 10.0 out of 10

Fit, Comfort and Functionality

For any bag, this is an important category.  If the bag doesn’t fit well or isn’t comfortable, it will sit in the garage as a holder for your mis-matched sets of extra clubs.  But this is a bad designed to be used, so how does it feel.

Loaded with my set of 14 clubs, and the rest of my necessities for a round of golf – the fist test was getting the bag to my car.  You may laugh, but this is the first real test.  How easy it the bag to lift and secure on my back, can I navigate my front door, and will the handles be positioned in a way that allows me to easily load into my trunk.  This is my daily routine (well – for each day I’m golfing). 

Boom.  Mission Accomplished.  I found my self sitting in the drivers seat of my car with nary a thought of struggle to load my bag into my car trunk.  The bag size snuggled into my “bag spot” in the trunk, it is a smaller profile than other bags I have carried, which was nice.  Easy on, easy off, easy in, easy out. 

Mentioned above as well, but worth reiterating here… the straps and handles are a favorite part of this bag for me.  They are sturdy and comfortable, easily carry the weight of a full bag, and in my opinion perfectly positions. 

image.png

image.png

I am also very happy with the positioning and size of the pockets, including the water bottle “insulated” pocket.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Fit, Comfort and Functionality Score: 10 out of 10.

Next challenge.  On the course…

On the Course

Where the rubber meets the road, or better said… where the bag meets the grass 😊.

I have a few things I look for in a bag when I’m playing.

image.png

One is storage, and ease of access to what I need when I need it.  I addressed the pockets in the above category, but they cross over in this category as well.  Good storage, several sizes and versions of pockets, perfect for a carry bag in my opinion.  The bag also has various snaps the fit my magnetic towel (either with the magnet, or without it).  And a couple of Velcro tabs and plastic straps to attach various accessories to, like a towel, or a range finder, a stroke counter if that is your thing…. Or in my case, a MYGOLFSPY Forum Member Virtual Championship Tour Official Member Bag Tag 😊

image.png

The one criticism I have, and I didn’t really think about it before having this bag… is the club openings.  While I prefer a 14 opening bag, or even a 9 opening bag… I’m perfectly happy with a carry bag having 4 openings.  It comes with the territory of a lightweight, jump out and play some golf, type bag. 

image.png

My issue comes with the angle of the middle slots.  The top slot has a flat straight bottom.  And the bottom slot has a natural arc as the bottom.  But the left and right middle have a fairly aggressive angle to the bottom… causing the meat of my bag – the middle irons – to bunch up on the left and right side.   I suppose there could be a design strategy to this.  With the Woods and possibly the putter occupying the top opening, there may need to be some room in the middle of the bag to allow for these clubs to hang.  But the Woods as an example, are longer than the irons, so they make their own room by towering over the top of the irons as they hang from the bag.  I found that with the exact left and right bunching of the middle irons in the middle of the bag, the shafts and grips get tangled on the way out of the bag, and I found myself pulling a few clubs at once – and not on purpose.  (Maybe my bag has a “caddie” feature and was trying to tell me to hit a different club, haha).

image.png

This is a bit of a nit.  The clubs carry nicely down the fairway, the rattle a bit, but that is part of the sound of golf when you carry your bag.  But If I were designing the next iteration of this bag… this is the one and only thing I would change… make the middle slots straight or a more gentle angle to allow the clubs to live separate lives while in the same house.  😊

That aside, the bag feels like it belongs on my shoulders.  It isn’t a chore to load up on my back and walk down the fairway, nor do I have to worry about the bag balance.  My clubs stay put and I don’t have to be careful about them tipping and falling out. 

I carried this bag for several 18 hole rounds, and honestly, it felt like I was walking beside the cart.  I wasn’t overly tired by fighting the bag or the weight through the rounds.

image.png

This bag also does well on a push cart and a riding cart… especially when you lock the legs down.  It is truly an all purpose bag with some American Pizazz. 

A few points of deduction due to the middle slots, but overall this is a really good bag.

On The Course Score:  17.5 out of 20.

The Good, The Bad, The In-Between

The Good – This bag is light, balanced, comfortable on your shoulders, and is extremely well built.  Perfect bag to grab and go play 9 or 18 without even knowing you have your clubs on your back.

The Bad – As noted above, small deductions for the angle of the middle club openings, causing the clubs to bunch on the left and right of the bag.

The In-Between – It has an aggressive color scheme, initially I was apprehensive about it… but it grew on my by the end of the test.  It also garnered more comments from other players than any other bag I carry. More color options would be nice, maybe a British version for those Ryder Cup Competitions 🙂 

Good/Bad/In Between Score: 18.0 out of 20.

Play It or Trade It

image.png

I have a lot of options when it comes to bags.  So it is a huge thing to put this into the regular rotation.  I will say that when I want to carry, this bag will be my go-to.  I have other bags that serve me well as cart bags, or as push cart bags, and when I’m feeling extra special, I pull out my Staff Bag… but day in / day out… this bag is a performer.  It would also make a very good travel bag… small profile, light weight, good to go. 

Play It!

Play It or Trade It Score: 19.0 out of 20.

Conclusion

image.png

A Quality Built bag with a lightweight carry profile.  This bag is PERFECT for a Sunday stroll in the afternoon, working on your game, or playing a $2 Nassau with friends.  You will get looks, and you may be applauded if you carry this bag on an American Celebration Holiday.  This bag has no issues carrying your full set of clubs, along with all the balls and accessories you may need, as well as a nice padded/protected spot for your water bottle (a necessity for the Hot Humid Houston Summer Days that I play in).  The Kickstand mechanism is also quality, It readily stands to attention when you put the bag down, and the legs snap back with authority and expedience when you pick it to walk to the green after sticking an iron shot like a dart to the center of the dartboard.  The padded openings at the top of the bag provide me comfort that the only damage caused to my clubs will be some bag chatter, and of course any of my own wayward swings… but the clubs are safe and secure inside the bag from shot to shot.  The carry handles and back strap are well positioned and sturdy – easily supporting the weight of a full loaded bag.  The padded back straps can be used as one strap or across the back two straps, and both allow the bag to hand comfortably from the shoulder(s). 

The bag does have a bit of niche target audience, but it also can hold its own with much larger and more featured bags… the weight alone is worth a look.

As many bag options that are out there, it is difficult to score high marks with me, but the Craftsman Golf Lightweight Stars and Stripes Stand Bag did just that:

Final Score:

93.5 out of 100

When comparing directly to the MGS Jones Bags what are the advantages and disadvantages to either or? Say 3 main highlights. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

12 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

When comparing directly to the MGS Jones Bags what are the advantages and disadvantages to either or? Say 3 main highlights. 

Great question.

Each of the bags has advantages or highlights.

Craftsman Bag:

1. Comfort and Balance on the shoulders
  2. I actually like the kickstand mechanism better on the Craftsman than the Jones
  3. about $80 less expensive (MSRP)

Jones Bag

1. 5 Way Top / Oblong or Narrow profile
  2. The Large "cooler" pouch (but the side cooler pocket on the Craftsman is pretty cool too)
  3. Many Color Options to choose from

Between the two, I would walk with the Craftsman and push or ride with the Jones. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1