Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is the Titleist TSR2 really only the 21st best driver of 2023?

I was looking at the driver comparison tool and the TSR2 was ranked around 21st or 22nd best driver of 2023!  There is no way it should be ranked that low, it is played on tour.  To have the TSR1 ranked above it is silly, much less the Wilson driver.  I played both the TSR3 and the TSR2 currently and it shows in the rankings that the TSR3 is more fogiving, it isn't.

The TSR3 is probably the best driver in the last few years and its awesome but it is not more forgiving than the TSR2.  Some really odd rankings IMO, end of rant.

To merely call Hayden Christensen wooden, is an affront to puppets everywhere…

21 minutes ago, Marnold2000 said:

I was looking at the driver comparison tool and the TSR2 was ranked around 21st or 22nd best driver of 2023!  There is no way it should be ranked that low, it is played on tour.  To have the TSR1 ranked above it is silly, much less the Wilson driver.  I played both the TSR3 and the TSR2 currently and it shows in the rankings that the TSR3 is more fogiving, it isn't.

The TSR3 is probably the best driver in the last few years and its awesome but it is not more forgiving than the TSR2.  Some really odd rankings IMO, end of rant.

... The rankings are simply a starting point. The data is compiled using regular golfers and even if they have a similar swing speed, transition and tempo, they may have completely different AOA's and face angles. If you hit down on the ball with a negative AOA playing a slight fade your results will be completely different than a similar swing speed golfer playing a draw hitting up on the ball with a positive AOA and of course the numbers will be quite different. I don't think you can fault the testing as just taking AOA into account going from +3 to - 3 would take much more testing and that would just be the tip of the iceberg. And just sayin' but "played on tour" has nothing to do with how the average Am swings their driver and you could almost go in the opposite direction for most. 

... After testing every new driver this past spring, the best performer for me was the Stealth2 HD and since my miss is an overly enthusiastic draw I was a little shocked. But spin, trajectory, carry and total distance was unmatched for my swing. I take no offense it is ranked 16th in the MGS Test. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The rankings are simply a starting point. The data is compiled using regular golfers and even if they have a similar swing speed, transition and tempo, they may have completely different AOA's and face angles. If you hit down on the ball with a negative AOA playing a slight fade your results will be completely different than a similar swing speed golfer playing a draw hitting up on the ball with a positive AOA and of course the numbers will be quite different. I don't think you can fault the testing as just taking AOA into account going from +3 to - 3 would take much more testing and that would just be the tip of the iceberg. And just sayin' but "played on tour" has nothing to do with how the average Am swings their driver and you could almost go in the opposite direction for most. 

... After testing every new driver this past spring, the best performer for me was the Stealth2 HD and since my miss is an overly enthusiastic draw I was a little shocked. But spin, trajectory, carry and total distance was unmatched for my swing. I take no offense it is ranked 16th in the MGS Test. 

Agree completely. The recently released most wanted fairway list was none too kind to the Paradym TD fairways, but after trying them all, it was by far the best for my game. The lists for me are a good starting point for identifying what is out there, but only testing/demoing can really narrow it down to what is going in the bag.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Just a hunch...you may want to avoid the "Best Fairway Woods of 2023" article.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

It depends on what you need - more length or more accuracy.

For me, I have the PING 425 Max driver and I hit more fairways with adequate distance that ever before. It is just plain easy to use.  I would update to the 435 Max, but I'm afraid to ruin a good thing.

I did mess around one or two rounds with a TaylorMade Sim 2 driver and the distance difference was easily visible, maybe as much as 20 yards.  However, my ability to be accurate was decreased.  I was also unhappy with the occasional crazy "out-of-play" bomb.

Titleist makes good equipment, no doubt.  

Meanwhile, rankings can be really confusing, so I take them lightly.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

On 8/23/2023 at 2:42 PM, Marnold2000 said:

Very hard to compare apples to apples swing for swing. Everybody delivers it so differently. I find it hard to believe there's a better driver out there than the Paradym triple diamond in my opinion. I've never hit a better driver....off the toe in my life 

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

I see your point - but I think this only highlights the importance of being fitted.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver 9, Oban Devotion 45-03 | Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 + 5 Wood, Oban Revenge 65-03 | Mizuno HiFli 16.5 2 Iron | Titleist T200 4-GW Irons, KBS Tour 110 R | Titleist Vokey Design SM9 Chrome SW & LW (54/12D, 60/12D) | Odyssey Versa Seven Putter  Titleist Pro V1x | Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022 | Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder | Golf Pride MCC ALIGN (Standard) Grips |