What Golf Ball Are You Playing In 2024?

On 7/20/2024 at 2:40 PM, Bill Nakayama said:

Having a slow swing speed I prefer a low/35-75 compression ball. I have used Callaway ERC soft, Hex soft, Hex Tour soft & Superhot 55 ( discontinued), Taylormade RZB soft, the new SpeedSoft, & Noodle Long & Soft, Vice ProSoft & Srixon UniSoft, Q Star & AD333. Titleist Tour Soft. MaxFli SoftFli, VolVik XL Soft & Wilson Staff Duo Soft

My speed is low 80s.  I just tried some chipping and putting with new Callaway SuperSoft and was surprised , happily, with feel and true response.  But I havev 4 or 5 new boxes of other balls I will run thru first, or give away 1 or 2.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

I'm currently gaming the Vice Pro Air.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

grabbed a dozen of these on prime day because they were 30 bucks... they were rated pretty good during the ball test

Used them last weekend and hit them pretty far. The color is interesting...

image.png.7ae77b7364b676c2559adf8fa0d63598.png

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Started playing the Maxfli Tour X last year and  have been testing against Pro V 1’s and can’t tell the difference off the tee box or approach shots. They spin very well on greens and can carry 250-270 on center hits. I’m retired now so I can’t justify paying $55+ for balls anymore…

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

25 minutes ago, ScramblinMan said:

Started playing the Maxfli Tour X last year and  have been testing against Pro V 1’s and can’t tell the difference off the tee box or approach shots. They spin very well on greens and can carry 250-270 on center hits. I’m retired now so I can’t justify paying $55+ for balls anymore…

... Not to denigrate any opinions and personal findings but my educated guess is 99% of those not on tour couldn't tell the difference between ProV1, ProV1x, Maxfli Tour and Maxfli Tour X if there were no markings on the ball. 

Screenshot2024-07-25at2_13_45PM.png.607d893c70546c8e9ab8dcb10de58085.pngScreenshot2024-07-25at2_11_33PM.png.93c6c049c9b8dd2785206aedee6a0d7b.pngScreenshot2024-07-25at2_19_09PM.png.2c8b0a01746489040aa52a7b3d8a7f34.png

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Not to denigrate any opinions and personal findings but my educated guess is 99% of those not on tour couldn't tell the difference between ProV1, ProV1x, Maxfli Tour and Maxfli Tour X if there were no markings on the ball. 

Screenshot2024-07-25at2_13_45PM.png.607d893c70546c8e9ab8dcb10de58085.pngScreenshot2024-07-25at2_11_33PM.png.93c6c049c9b8dd2785206aedee6a0d7b.pngScreenshot2024-07-25at2_19_09PM.png.2c8b0a01746489040aa52a7b3d8a7f34.png

That’s exactly the reason why I’m not spending $55+  on a dozen balls anymore…

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

I have tried several different balls this year and I finally settled on, drum roll please, prov1 x. Some of the balls like the tour response have no feedback, they sound like your hitting a sponge. The prov1x sounds great off the club and goes farther than any of the other balls. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. 

Frank musolino 

2 minutes ago, Big moose said:

I have tried several different balls this year and I finally settled on, drum roll please, prov1 x. Some of the balls like the tour response have no feedback, they sound like your hitting a sponge. The prov1x sounds great off the club and goes farther than any of the other balls. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. 

... It pretty much doesn't matter what test or review you read/watch, the ProV1's usually comes out in the top spot. The question then becomes how much do you play and how much are you willing to pay for golf balls? Many current balls are just sooooo close in performance and sell for as little as 1/2 the price or less. If I can buy 4 dozen Maxfli Tours for $108 while 2 dozen ProV1X cost $110 and since I play a lot, I am gonna play the Maxfli Tour X. $4.59 compared to $2.25 if I don't clear the lake is just much more palatable. But I don't think anyone could argue with ProV1's being the preferred ball for any player that chooses them. 

... I played a practice round on an empty course with ProV1x, Maxfli Tour X, TP5x, Chrome Tour and the Kirkland Signature 3. I couldn't tell much difference between any of them other than the Kirkland that was consistently a bit shorter and spun more than the others. 

5balls.JPG.818ce4ac50435fc6b6beb1ea4cb1a971.JPG

45 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It pretty much doesn't matter what test or review you read/watch, the ProV1's usually comes out in the top spot. The question then becomes how much do you play and how much are you willing to pay for golf balls? Many current balls are just sooooo close in performance and sell for as little as 1/2 the price or less. If I can buy 4 dozen Maxfli Tours for $108 while 2 dozen ProV1X cost $110 and since I play a lot, I am gonna play the Maxfli Tour X. $4.59 compared to $2.25 if I don't clear the lake is just much more palatable. But I don't think anyone could argue with ProV1's being the preferred ball for any player that chooses them. 

... I played a practice round on an empty course with ProV1x, Maxfli Tour X, TP5x, Chrome Tour and the Kirkland Signature 3. I couldn't tell much difference between any of them other than the Kirkland that was consistently a bit shorter and spun more than the others. 

I haven't had a chance to play the maxfli ball yet, I really want to get some and give them a go.

Frank musolino 

1 minute ago, Big moose said:

I haven't had a chance to play the maxfli ball yet, I really want to get some and give them a go.

... One of my 36yr old playin' pards has used ProV1x's since high school. I gave him a sleeve of Maxfli Tour X and he switched. He qualified for the AZ State Am and we had just received 2 dozen ProV1's each as an outing prize and I asked if he was gonna use them for the Am. He said no, he is used to the Maxfli Tour X and with something so important on the line he didn't wanna change. Can't get a better endorsement than that. 

I have played the Maxfli Tour X balls since the first generation of this ball was introduced. However, I have tried other balls during that time. Some of them I didn’t like very much, others I could happily play. The balls that I feel are closest to the Maxfli Tour X are: Vice Pro Plus, Volvik VS4 and OnCore Vero X1 (the Vero X2, as well, but that ball is actually a bit too firm for me!).

DR - Titleist TSi1 (with additional sole weight), Ventus TR Blue 5R (tipped 1/2”)

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Tour Edge Exotics C722, XCaliber 95-R graphite (hard-stepped)

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll Ev8

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

3 hours ago, chisag said:

I might play the ProV1x or the left dash version, if they didn’t cost so bloody much. I won a pro shop gift card in a golf tournament at the beginning of July, and they had a couple of sleeves of the ProV1x Left Dash balls in the pro shop, so I used part of my shop credit for them (and the rest on an Adidas golf belt). Those left dash balls are pretty nice, but I am not about to pay $55 a dozen for more of them!

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Titleist TSi1 (with additional sole weight), Ventus TR Blue 5R (tipped 1/2”)

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Tour Edge Exotics C722, XCaliber 95-R graphite (hard-stepped)

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll Ev8

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

On 7/22/2024 at 12:09 PM, JackBurtonsPorkchopExpress said:

For those interested, a group of us got to test out Volvik's line of new balls. I'll leave you in suspense, but I was very surprised with the results (in a good way). 

Good ole Volvik. I used to use Volvik when they were new to the US and were inexpensive. The last time I was really active in golf I used Snake Eyes and was on top of the leaderboard for a round at the World Am with those. Trying them again, but they're different balls now. The supersofts work well for me, so I suspect I might be playing those come tourney time.

Still swinging after all these years

2 hours ago, chisag said:

I think I need to grab a sleeve of the Maxfli Tour X to test out. I have a sleeve of Maxfli Tour I'm going to try out, but based on specs it looks like the Tour X will have a firmer feel than the Tour and will be closer to the TP5X I mostly game.
I've been enjoying playing the Chrome Tour lately, particularly off the tee and long irons. But if the Maxfli is as good as everyone says, it'll be a nice cost saving without giving up feel and performance.
I really didn't like the Kirkland v3 either. Gave mine away to a friend after getting through a sleeve.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS) // :ping-small: G430 LST 9* (@8*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 // :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

16 hours ago, chisag said:

This^ 100%!

I'll play the random ProV1/V1X that I happen upon in the woods, and notice absolutely no difference with the Maxfli Tours. My mother in law is a big Costco fan so I usually get a box of Performance+ balls for Christmas as well - I'll pull those out for scrambles or more casual rounds, but they definitely spin a lot more and come up short for me. I lean on the "too spiny" side of the spectrum so that's not ideal for me, but any of my friends who need help keeping the ball in the air and are budget conscious I give them a sleeve or two to try.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

15 hours ago, Big moose said:

Dick's Sporting Goods around $100 for 5

I am what I am, and that is all that I am.

16 hours ago, chisag said:

Totally agree -- I have my go-to tournament ball and swear it performs better (the Left Dash), but I'm 100% willing to admit that it's likely all in my head. For everyday rounds, I bounce between TP5/TP5x, Chrome Tour, Vice Pro Plus (sometimes the Pro, because some of the colors/designs are cooler), OnCore Vero X1/X2 (specifically the Josh Allen logo balls), etc. -- they all perform sufficiently well for me on any given day, and I could not tell you which of those balls actually performs best on the course. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

On 6/8/2024 at 9:27 PM, kamusicman said:

Thanks for the 411. I, too, tend to have a higher-than-average spin rate so I want a ball that carries well but doesn't spin too much. I actually took a chance and ordered the Chrome Tour (I got four dozen for the price of three AND an additional $20 discount. =D) so I'm glad to hear that you had good results with it. I'll definitely try them out on my next round.

I played a round today with the Left Dash and really liked the spin on shots from 130 yards and in. They flew a little higher than I wanted but I think that was more me fighting my swing today than the ball itself. The ball reacted well with all my wedge shots today, even the one I bladed! Haha. The only complaint I had was that the ball feels too firm when I putt even though I use an Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S Triple Track with the White Hot insert for softer feel. But it's a minor complaint.

I'll avoid the Z-Star's for now especially since I probably don't have to buy any more balls for the next 12 months. (I have two dozen Left Dash's as well.  ) Now if I can just get my index down by a shot every month for the next six months...

So I've two rounds now with the Chrome Tour and love them! @GregGarner, thanks for the nudge to the Tour's. Compared to the Left Dash, they go just as far, spin a little less but hold the greens, and feel much better off the putter face. Glad I purchased the four for three deal. I've got a two-day trip this weekend on courses that require spin control on approaches (firm greens), potentially windy conditions, and very subtle greens that tend to run around 11, 12. Played the Left Dash at both courses before so this will be a good comparison with the Chrome Tours.  

kamusicman

21 hours ago, chisag said:

I completely agree with the previous statement. Here in Canada, a dozen ProV1s costs $72.99, which is outrageous. While I understand that you often get what you pay for, I’m always on the lookout for a quality ball at a reasonable price. Currently, I’m using Vice balls and am quite satisfied with them. However, I’m very interested in trying Maxfli, but they aren't available here. I've even reached out to Dick's Sporting Goods to inquire about bringing them to Canada, but haven't received any response.

Edited by Lefty11

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

22 hours ago, Big moose said:

Epic Flash

Currently between Taylormade '21 TP5X and Callaway Chrome Tour. I have sufficient TP5X to get through the rest of the year, but the tinkerer side of me has picked up some Maxfli Tour X to go with the Maxfli Tour (just a sleeve of 3) I have ready for some testing. After reading all the glowing reports of the Maxfli balls, I couldn't help myself. I'll play one or the other this Sunday morning and do a comparison on the sim in the next week or so to see how the numbers stack up against my current gamers.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS) // :ping-small: G430 LST 9* (@8*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

2 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

I have sufficient TP5X to get through the rest of the year, but the tinkerer side of me has picked up some Maxfli Tour X to go with the Maxfli Tour (just a sleeve of 3) I have ready for some testing. After reading all the glowing reports of the Maxfli balls, I couldn't help myself. 

... Good call. Here is some quantitative, qualitative, taking into consideration a central limit theorem with no extraneous variables and completely objective evidence resulting in e.g., p < 0.05 concerning the Maxfli Tour X.

... I played the front 9 today with a ProV1 and had 9 pars. I played the back 9 with a Maxfli Tour X and had 1 eagle, 2 birdies and 6 pars shooting 4 under. You literally and figuratively cannot get any more conclusively scientific than this! 🤥

726Scorecard.jpg.56cef0b9fd0260931e41e0d56c813e72.jpg

26 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Good call. Here is some quantitative, qualitative, taking into consideration a central limit theorem with no extraneous variables and completely objective evidence resulting in e.g., p < 0.05 concerning the Maxfli Tour X.

... I played the front 9 today with a ProV1 and had 9 pars. I played the back 9 with a Maxfli Tour X and had 1 eagle, 2 birdies and 6 pars shooting 4 under. You literally and figuratively cannot get any more conclusively scientific than this! 🤥

LOL. Absolutely conclusive proof that MTx>PV1

Whether statistically significant or outlier, clearly the Tour X worked very well for you for those nine holes! Great back nine and overall score.

I'm looking forward to giving the Tour and X a good run out.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

18 hours ago, chisag said:

726Scorecard.jpg.56cef0b9fd0260931e41e0d56c813e72.jpg

Triangle… interesting 🙂 

Hell of a round! Congrats on the eagle!

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

11 minutes ago, HikingMike said:

Triangle… interesting 🙂 

Hell of a round! Congrats on the eagle!

... Thanks, since I still don't have a HIO I like to make my eagles stand out.  🦅🔺

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Thanks, since I still don't have a HIO I like to make my eagles stand out.  🦅🔺

I mean two circles does a good job too. But you got the eagle 🦅 . You do what you want 🙂 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone