Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Can 16 hcp shoot par playing own 2 ball scramble

What do you think a 16 hcp could shoot if he played his own 2 ball scramble? So essentially he would get a mulligan every shot. 2 drives, 2 approach shots , 2 putts etc. He would play the best of the two shoots each time, just like in a 2 man scramble. No triple max and has to putt everything out (obviously). For argument sake let’s say course plays 6400, stimp of 10 and slope rating 122

Edited by BoogerJL
  • BoogerJL changed the title to Can 16 hcp shoot par playing own 2 ball scramble

Let's say their normal scoring average is 88..maybe 80? 

Unfortunately a lot of answers will be, depends. If they are someone that really struggles off the tee I don't see the score moving down that much. 

Sure they can learn from the first shot, but also knowing you always have a second can lead to looser and potentially worse first shots..

Interesting little thought experiment, but I'm going with 78-80.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Playing best ball I would assume you could shave 4 strokes. Things I would consider are, would you hero play and use the same club for each shot or swap out to truly change the player? Are you tracking which ball is P1 and P2, and how many shot you used of each ball?

I would definitely mark 2 players down on the scorecard. You can track natural finishes if you end up using the same ball on a hole that way. (P1 / P2)

Of course in the end, the true score is negated, but then again, it makes for fun golf!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I think shaving off maybe 5-6 strokes could happen. However, that 16hdcp player is going to have to seriously have a good mental approach. He will have to forget about that first shot if it was bad real quick. Do I think he could shoot par? Probably not. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd guess the average is even higher, maybe 3 over par net, so averaging 90 or 91.  But I do agree, that player would be doing really well to be 8 or 10 strokes better than average, given two chances for every shot.  Even par is our if the question, in my opinion.  Beyond that, most players would be exhausted before the end of the round taking double the normal number of full swings!

That was what i was thinking about after is how tired I would be!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

10 hours ago, BoogerJL said:

What do you think a 16 hcp could shoot if he played his own 2 ball scramble? So essentially he would get a mulligan every shot. 2 drives, 2 approach shots , 2 putts etc. He would play the best of the two shoots each time, just like in a 2 man scramble. No triple max and has to putt everything out (obviously). For argument sake let’s say course plays 6400, stimp of 10 and slope rating 122

now that post is cause for thought on a sunday morning. I am going to say no. Too many "things" going on with a 16. It would be fun to get one to try, slope of 122 and green speeds are in their favour. 

committed to performance excellence

IMO, score would depend on why the player is a 16.   Like others,  I'd say they would save 4-6 strokes.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That was what i was thinking about after is how tired I would be!

Me too

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

11 hours ago, BoogerJL said:

That would be a hard feat. I think it would be fun to try, but even a 10 handicap would have their work cut out for them.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

Before I answer that question, I would ask, "What's your best score across the board?" If you looked at your scores for each hole, over time, what's your best for that hole? Look at that for each hole and come up with a score. I'm a 24 hdcp and I did that once and came up with a best of 76. My lowest so far is a 79.

I believe that a 16 hdcp could shoot par or maybe better if playing two balls for a round and if he/she played to the best number for a hole. If you try it, good luck and have fun with it.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Beyond that, most players would be exhausted before the end of the round taking double the normal number of full swings!

I'm not sure I would hit 2 shots every time.  I know what I would consider a good shot and if I hit a good non par 3 tee shot, pitch/chip, and make the first putt I probably wouldn't hit a second.  I'd probably hit 2 approach shots so it is maybe 20-25 extra full swings.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 hours ago, BoogerJL said:

I think it depends. One what are the strengths and weaknesses of the players’s game. Are they a straight driver with decent distance? Do they hit fairly good irons and how is the short game? Since 16 over is their potential starting and even with 2 shots every time; I can only see them shooting high 70’s at best. 

Play like a champion today!

This is something I have done. My instructor wants me to do it once or twice a year. In his words, it indicates what my current potential is as if my concentration is peak and I really grind. It's meant to be both inspiring and instructive. "See, if you bear down, this is what you're capable of right now." When I first did it as about a 24 HC, I shot 78. This year as an 8, I shot 69. It's way more shots than you guys think! Most of the gains are on and around the green for me. Especially chipping and pitching, I hit a good shot but it did something on the green that I didn't expect. I can change the way I play the next shot. My up-and-downs are doubled.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

7 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

I'm thinking with the extra shots I going to say the 79 to 81 would be a good score.

Exactly and agree. Because no matter how many shots the same swing flaws are in play. Maybe the greatest pickup is a ball hit OB and the reload is free so that saves a stroke or two. Also around the green and putts. A chunked chip with a free replay could erase the lost shot. Lastly getting two putts each time could generate a gain.  However, a 16 still has their limits. The second ball won’t be an all star. So, fully agree the best result would be high 70’s to low 80’s.

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

Exactly and agree. Because no matter how many shots the same swing flaws are in play. Maybe the greatest pickup is a ball hit OB and the reload is free so that saves a stroke or two. Also around the green and putts. A chunked chip with a free replay could erase the lost shot. Lastly getting two putts each time could generate a gain.  However, a 16 still has their limits. The second ball won’t be an all star. So, fully agree the best result would be high 70’s to low 80’s.

I've played 2 balls several times over the past couple years, it almost always turned out to be right on my handicap for 1 ball and the other would be 1 or 2 shots lower or even higher. Same swing same tendencies.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

2 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

I've played 2 balls several times over the past couple years, it almost always turned out to be right on my handicap for 1 ball and the other would be 1 or 2 shots lower or even higher. Same swing same tendencies.

I agree fully. I have played the two ball scenario myself. I am scratch and still only gained a couple shots. 

According to the VCT, an 8 handicap can shoot even par, multiple times, with only one ball. So why not? 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

According to the VCT, an 8 handicap can shoot even par, multiple times, with only one ball. So why not? 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I see what you did there and yes, I call Bullsh-t also. Especially since that handicap never moves.

Edited by Javs

43 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

Can you imagine how low they could go in the VCT if they did their own 2 ball scramble? 59 would be child’s play. 

Edited by Preeway

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

On 2/25/2024 at 1:26 PM, thulesgold said:

I think it's a lot tougher to gain strokes back by yourself. I think getting 6 or 7 would be huge. 

@thulesgold just a quick Welcome to the forums. Glad you joined and hope you find it as a positive experience as much as I have over the years.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

22 hours ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

Thanks for the belly laugh. Exactly why I stopped entering scores in the VCT

But back to the question at hand. My feelings are a 16 handicap could shave 5 or 6 strokes.

So let’s stop guessing and set up a challenge. One person 2 ball scramble challenge. Any handicap can participate. Just to see what can be done based on handicap. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

But back to the question at hand. My feelings are a 16 handicap could shave 5 or 6 strokes.

So let’s stop guessing and set up a challenge. One person 2 ball scramble challenge. Any handicap can participate. Just to see what can be done based on handicap. 

I think many of us agree there is some real sandbagging which kills the spirit of a really nice event!

Edited by Javs

9 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I like this idea quite a bit and we were looking for something to do during the week in between the end of the regular season of the VCT and the beginning of the tournament, so with your blessing, I'm going to steal it and promote it through the VCT for next week.

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

I like this idea quite a bit and we were looking for something to do during the week in between the end of the regular season of the VCT and the beginning of the tournament, so with your blessing, I'm going to steal it and promote it through the VCT for next week.

It would be good, but we all know instead of 11 birdies and even par with the 8 handicap someone with 2 balls will shoot 23 under. Yes I am saying there is serious sandbagging. I may not play next year. 

Edited by Javs

Just now, Javs said:

It would be good, but we all know instead of 11 birdies and even par with the 8 handicap someone with 2 balls will shoot 23 under. Yes I am saying there is serious sandbagging

There will be some significant changes coming in season 3, that are being implemented to curtail some of that foolishness. It hasn’t gone unnoticed.

WITB:

20 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’m in!

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX