Center shafted putters

MrHogan

One of my playing partners uses a CS Wilson South City with very good results for several years. I always had trouble with the shaft so close to the  being so close to the ball at address but I bought a lab df3 and I am getting adjusted to it. I have also heard people say the CS putter works better with a left hand low grip.

Epic speed driver

sxiron 3 wood

Tour Edge hybrid 

PXG irons

Mizuno Wedges

SC Putter 

Been using a Seemore FGP ( Payne Stewart/ Zach Johnson model) for about 15 years, and I really wouldn't change to a regular blade now.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

image.png.059cbc99477ff392a008295e609b1839.pngPick your model!

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

1 hour ago, KG221 said:

20240522_103634.jpg

Look, I'm not saying you're NOT an innovator, but here's what I had in mind.  Tell me I'm crazy 🙂

Putter Bend Final.jpg

(and it's good for Lefty AND Righty!)

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

1 minute ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Look, I'm not saying you're NOT an innovator, but here's what I had in mind.  Tell me I'm crazy 🙂

Putter Bend Final.jpg

(and it's good for Lefty AND Righty!)

LOL.  I'll take two!!!!

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

I would never has considered a center shafted putter until LAB came along and they seem so natural in their putters.  I really like the DF3 and it all goes to squaring up the putter at impact which seems so simple with them.  I have tried to reach out to LAB but it is impossible to get through and talk to them so I will stick with my Ping Ketsch.

Ping G430 Driver and 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 16.5 degree 3 wood

Ping G430 4 & 5 hybrids

Ping G425 irons

Vokey SM 9 54 and 58 wedges

Ping Ketsch putter

I love center shafted putters. Probably started back in 1969, I was 14 yo & found a bullseye Putter I used thru high-school. Not a true center shaft but close. I go for awhile with a scotty Cameron x5 center shaft & most recently a 2ball odyssey center shaft that I put an extension in & the superstore 17" 3.0 grip at 37" Putter. I like this but I'm sure I'll be back to my scotty before long.

Thanks much to all spy’s for the great feedback on this topic.. 

After many demo sessions, a lot of research and of course all the feedback on the forum, I ended up with the Sik Flo C with KBS CT Tour shaft.

Many hours on the putting green and 6 rounds have confirmed I made the right choice. I can see the line much better and I’m really liking the grooves on the face with the DLT.

IMG_0724.jpeg

PING G430 MAX 10K 10.5 HZRDUS RDX Smoke 50g 6.0

Callaway XR 3W 15* 565 Speeder 

Ping G30 5W 18* 757 Speeder

Hogan Apex 99 4-E, KBS Tour CT Limited

PING G425 22* Hybrid
Vokey 54-10, 58-08 200 series wedges (old school)
Sik Flo C
Snell MTBX

Been playing golf for over 65 years….Never liked center shafted putters.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I started golfing with a 2nd hand center shaft wilson putter. I had no idea to even pay attention to the shaft location on the head back then.  I've always been O.K. at putting. Last year I started gaming a sub70 wide blade center shaft.  Feel is great, consistent. I feel like I can stand right over the top of the ball as opposed to behind it which seems to help me out. 

Half bag. Even irons. Love chasing a cold morning. 

I have used a center shafted putter for many years. first a Taylor Made Rossi and now a Heavy Putter, both mallets. Have tried the more traditional style but have always come back to the center shaft.

I've only used a center-shafted putter once, Rife Mallet.  Did not have good luck with the Rife Mallet putter.  I felt like I was standing too close to the ball.  

Putters with the Plumbers neck, either slight neck or a more pronounced plumber neck such as a Scotty Newport 2. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

The first putter I ever really liked was CS, it was a Ping Crazy E CS. Then one time on a trip to Mesquite NV, the head came loose. I got it fixed and it never felt the same. Then my hunt for a new putter started. I bought a Spider Tour CS and had it for a while, then moved to a Ping Sigma 2 Kushin CS and played it for a long time, but constantly missed on the left. At one point I felt like I was trying to corner the market on face balanced CS putters.

I did a putter fitting and it turns out, that Ping CS wasn't a good fit for me, I constantly aimed left. The fitter handed me a an Odyssey Tri Hot 5K with a crank hosel, strangely enough I could aim that putter at the hole and started making putts. I then bought one off Calaway second hand and made a lot of putts with that and wasn't missing on the left so consistently. I then did a second putter fitting with SAM Putt lab, brought 4 or 5 putters and did the fitting, the Tri Hot 5K was still the most accurate for me. The fitter asked why I was there after making 5 of 5 from 10 feet. He had me try a couple of other putters including some mallets that would be more stable and none of them were as good as my Tri Hot 5K #2.

I still like the looks of center shaft putters, but it turns out I don't have a straight back straight through stroke, so a little toe hang seems to work better for me and I think being right eye dominant has some impact on my ability to actually line up the putter in a straight line to the hole and not to the left of the hole.

I never ever used a center shafted putter prior to this year.  I only used heel-shafted putters and mostly blades.  I learned to play with an 8802 and largely stayed with that style.  However, I decided to give the LAB DF3 a try this year and got comfortable with it very quickly.  I was surprised how easy it was to get used to the center shaft.  I am sticking with the LAB for the foreseeable future.

Titleist C-16 irons and woods

JP Golf GW, PW and SW

Gene Nead Putter

I have been a center shaft putter user for many years. I have even changed some putters to a center shaft after manufacturers say they won't make a certain model in a center shaft option. I just like the way it looks for my straight back swing path. Center shaft putters are face balanced and fit my swing. I demoed the Lab Mezz and was really impressed with the club but turned off by the price. I will stick with my Ping Tomcat converted to center shaft for now. 

So I gamed a traditional heel mounted putter forever. With the exception of using a bullseye in high school for a short period of time. But during that timeframe, I was insanely good at putting from 15 to 20 feet in. 
After a putting lesson in 2022, I decided to make a switch to a center shafted putter. But did not jump right in. I found an older TM Rossie and played around with it for a few weeks. I did like the way it came off the face, but it was way too soft for my liking. Did a little reserach online and was able to find my current gamer, Scotty Cameron GoLo S (circa 2014 ). After a few tweaks, I have this thing dialed in. I honestly cannot go back to a traditional putter. Love this thing! 

IMG_4885.JPG.d94f4d1b1764adfb6c7698106561d0c3.JPGIMG_4887.JPG.72b93a69f3fcecc878fc4d3767ce7ff8.JPG

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

On 3/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, MrHogan said:

Fellow Spy’s,

I am looking to purchase a new putter and need feedback from anyone currently gaming a center shafted putter. Many years ago I gamed a center shafted putter which always produced great results due to a straight back and through stroke. My stroke evolved into a gradual arc and I am currently gaming a SC Newport 1.5.

Old habits die and now my stroke seems to have regressed back to a straight back and forward stroke, hence the curiosity and possible need for a center shafted type putter. 

So, recommendations, suggestions, endorsements? My short list is Evenroll ( groove technology), Sik (DLT has my attention), SC Phantom line.

All feedback welcomed and appreciated. Thx much.

I have gamed a center shafted putter for a year now. I bought a Scotty Cameron Golo S mid mallet off of Facebook Market place because it was so cheap I knew i could flip it and make money to fund my golf addiction. Never owned a Scotty Cameron in my life until then, carried it to the course and tried it on a practice green before my round and it has never left my bag since. I have recently gotten a center shafted Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S to try as mallets are known for being more forgiving. I obviously really like center shafted putters my 2 cents is that even though they are not for everyone some people either just wont try them or they try them but dont give themselves enough time to adjust before they give up on them. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

1 hour ago, JRDuck40 said:

So I gamed a traditional heel mounted putter forever. With the exception of using a bullseye in high school for a short period of time. But during that timeframe, I was insanely good at putting from 15 to 20 feet in. 
After a putting lesson in 2022, I decided to make a switch to a center shafted putter. But did not jump right in. I found an older TM Rossie and played around with it for a few weeks. I did like the way it came off the face, but it was way too soft for my liking. Did a little reserach online and was able to find my current gamer, Scotty Cameron GoLo S (circa 2014 ). After a few tweaks, I have this thing dialed in. I honestly cannot go back to a traditional putter. Love this thing! 

IMG_4885.JPG.d94f4d1b1764adfb6c7698106561d0c3.JPGIMG_4887.JPG.72b93a69f3fcecc878fc4d3767ce7ff8.JPG

What kind of bum games a Golo S , wait me im that kind of bum.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

I've been using Centre shafted putters for the past 25 years. Was never a good putter back in the day, but since using them have become decent, admittedly it took a while to get used to them and have now improved year on year.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 10:28 AM, 235YardsAndStillScratch said:

Why do you say that putting strokes are not "straight back straight through"? Are not some that way? Or very very close?

Lay a 2x4 on the ground, put a ball on the side away from your stance with your putter heel against the 2x4. Putt like that, that’s SBST - forces very unnatural hand/wrist actions. Some have more arc than others for sure, but no one actually putts SBST unless you have a 90 deg lie angle (illegal).

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I have used both types of putters very effectively, but I do find center shafted putters are easier to aim & they put a consistent roll on the ball. My current gamer is called the "Roll-In" and boy does it accomplish that task. I found this putter on EBay while trolling around for left handed chippers & putters, and have not been able to find any historical information about it. 

I have always been intrigued by the idea of a center shaft putter. Seems like it would help hitting the ball with the center of the putter. Haven't seen one that is pleasing to my eye, looks like other putters, and has lines on top that I like. This may mean it needs  an offset shaft. Also think it would need to be round in the center (like new Bobby Grace putter) and have grooves to improve contact with the dimples on the ball.  I almost designed one like this for myself, but got distracted by business.  Still looking. Seen anything like this?

My first putter, given to me, was a Wilson “Augusta” blade that I could not control.   After struggling for a few years I tried a center shaft mallet putter.  It was an Odyssey Two Ball (W/Center line), white Hot Face putter.  I developed a straight back and forth stroke and could control this putter.  It was a godsend.

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

I have been gaming heel shaft putters for years 

Tried the LAB putter at the local golf store  and I felt it was very similar feel to my center shafted putters 

Want to get Mezz broomstick but the sticker price was out of my range 

I extended an old center  shafted  yes putter  I had in the closet  and tried it once on course and it feels steady 

will continue to experiment with center shaft position putter  

Posted (edited)

For me i have tried multiple heel shafted and center shafted putters and no matter how many heel shafted options I look at I seem to be most comfortable and make the most putts with centre shafted putters , with heel shafted putters i seem to block or seem to putt with a open face and have the golf ball go right and even though i practice with both and on the practice green i make putts with both I get to the course and I go right back to blocking putts right and I have better results with centre shafted putters , I don't know if i become brain dead or I subconsciously have it where I have  poor results with heel shafted putters so with that said moving forward i will only use a center shafted putter as it is all about results and heel shafted putters are just not good for me

Edited by sandwedge59

Maltby KE4 tour TC 11 degree driver

Maltby KE 4 21 and 23 degree rescue hybrids

Ping I 525 forged irons 5 thru pw black dot

Ping glide 4.0 47 degree gap wedge

Ping glide 3.0 eye 2 54 and 58 degree wedges / all irons /wedges have tensei AV series senior flex graphite

LAB golf MEZZ 1 custom broomstick putter with Accra grapite shaft lie angle 79.5 length 46 inches