Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Is The Most You Would Pay For A Putter?

GolfSpy_APH

This should be a two part question.  How much would you pay versus how much have you paid. Not so long ago, you could get a decent putter for $100-$250, but now a top of the line putter is approaching the cost of a driver. Given that the putter is the most used club in your bag (about 40% of the time) and that I have been fitted for putters using Quintic, (thank you TXG), generally the most I would pay is $450-600, however, I’m much more comfortable in the $250-$350 range. But that’s before, I start tinkering and install a stability shaft and Evnroll gravity grip, so I’ve just added $350 to the cost. I still strongly believe that replacing steel with a more up to date fitted shaft will improve performance. So the most I have actually spent is $800. Ouch. Does it make a difference.  You bet it does. Combined with putting and short game lessons, I rarely 3 putt these days and I love the feel, precision and control of my putter.  But, you still need putting lesson(s) and to be fit for putter. And then there’s the confidence of knowing I can make this putt or lag it close versus I hope I can.  But it doesn’t stop the addiction of adding and collecting putters.  I admit, guilty as charged. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

Whatever a L.A.B. broomstick costs…it’s worth every penny for me!

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

I would have no issue paying $500 or more after I was fit for it and was proven to be the best for my stroke.  That said, I got my recent gamer (Bettenardi Queen Bee) for around $400 if I recall a couple of years ago and have no intention of switching anytime soon.  

Of course this question is highly subjective, as $500 to one person may be a much bigger financial stretch than it is to others...

Well this thread has convinced me even more to go for a LAB 3.1 putter as evidenced by the success so many are having with them.  I am a much better than average putter and I have tried the LAB and I feel that I putt even better with it as it seems to always be very close to square at impact.  I presently use a Ping Ketsch which I really like and I see the guys with the Scottys who really need something to help them but vanity will not let them switch.  So the answer to the question posed is $550 with the only question being when I can sneak it into my bag as I played at least once a week with my wife.😄

Ping G430 Driver and 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 16.5 degree 3 wood

Ping G430 4 & 5 hybrids

Ping G425 irons

Vokey SM 9 54 and 58 wedges

Ping Ketsch putter

It’s an interesting topic. I do feel the phrase “it’s the Indian, not the arrow” applies more to putting than any other club in the bag. I currently game an Odyssey DFX1 that I received as a gift - I believe it goes for $150 retail. It’s a great looking putter that is SUPER easy for me to aim, and that’s the most important thing for me. Pace, distance control etc I can learn/practice and I’m probably not seasoned enough (been playing 2 years) to notice a subjective difference in “feel” between my DFX and a more expensive putter. I’ll probably have this one in the bag in perpetuity.

To the point of the question - my max is probably $250. 

Driver: PXG 0211 (2022)

Fairway: 3W- PXG 0211 (2022) | 5W- Cobra Air-X (2022)

4H/5H: Cobra Air-X (2022)

6i-PW,SW: PXG 0211z

GW/LW: Wilson Harmonized

Putter: Odyssey DFX 1

After being part of the Odyssey AI-One putter test (was on the Milled side), I can easily see how one could spend $500 for a putter.  I have hit my other putters during and since the test and I can say the AI-One Milled is hands down the most consistent and predictable putter I’ve ever used.  So for me, it would likely be that price point cap….

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

image.png.0e30c0034e6c46ebd2d225a7fdfbaf05.png 

Regardless of how you putt, what type size and shape of putter you use, what grip, what swing path, what stance, what posture... you need a putter that is fit to your style. The putter is the most used club in your bag, and responsible for about half the strokes you make in a round. The brand name or cost of your putter is not going to make any more putts for you. But having a putter that fits you will. Have you ever been fit for a putter? Is your current putter fit for you? Or did you just buy it off the rack because you liked the looks, or made a few putts on the practice mat? And you’re trying to adjust to your putter instead of adjusting your putter to you!

6 Key Factors in Putter Fitting

Length 

Loft

Lie Angle

Head Design 

Total Weight

Swingweight

_SmallLogo.jpg.86a70ece6a91a89d431bdc68e968bf8d.jpg

$500+ for most new drivers but people balk at spending on your scoring club makes me giggle. If a fitter put me in an expensive putter and had the data to back up the results idk if it was 5 hundy!!

Callaway Mavrik irons, Ping woods

I have a df2.1 I got from the outlet for $300. Although seeing lots of review for the df3 and tpt and maybe a broom? I might pay $1000 for one. Will I though is another question. Maybe if I didn’t have loans to pay and a child to take care of. Someday maybe or if another testing opportunity comes. I actually may get a tpt installed in my df2.1 in the near future just to scratch the itch. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Bought a L.A.B. Golf LINK.1 for $400 at PGA SS with coupons and that's about as much as I'd spend. 

Putters unlike most other golf clubs hold their resale well. Sometimes you can make money after a year or two. That's why I'm not afraid to spend, I know if I take care of it I can get most of that money back if a new love comes along. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     GX-7 14°
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      L.A.B Link1 33"
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

The most I have ever spent on a putter was $250 about 6-7 years ago (and I don't even use that putter anymore, LOL!).   Most of my putters I have bought used from Ebay.   My current gamer is a Maltby PTM-5 mallet that I bought for $100 (one of their value paks which I bought and had them assemble for me since it has the double bend shaft).   

I was in the PGA Super Store down in Orlando this winter, picked up a putter I liked (i'm partial to mallets), and proceeded to make EVERY putt from various distances!   Then I looked at the price tag.....it was a Bettenardi for $459!!!!    Gulp....I couldn't put it back on the rack fast enough!

The only putter I "lust after" right now is one of the new Zebra (mallet), which somebody came out with just to "tempt" me, LOL......they're $250, I think.....

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

Recent purchase: Rossi AI $299 from Golf Galaxy (this is the most I would pay for a putter) - 1 degree flat
Here's what I can pass on to others as advice:

I bought this club to help me get the ball to the hole (distance/length judgement) but
realize it's the small details that really matter with a putter.
                     I prefer a sight line perpendicular to target the line to help me square the face - this putter doesn't have one

Grip size makes a big difference - e.g.   the difference between Flatso 2.0 and 3.0 is noticeable

Make sure the putter satisfies your preferences!

Epic Flash SZ, G425 3w
G425 3h, Mizuno JPX EZ
Odyssey Black Series 9

I think it really depends on you as the consumer. I’ve had the same putter, custom fit, for 13 years. So it would make sense for me to spend more on it. My dad has a different putter every month. So a big price tag is probably a barrier for him. Its the most important club in the bag so I feel consistency is really the qualifier here. Get a fitting done, impartial of brand, and buy the one that performs best for you and inspires confidence. You should be able to find that for under $500!!!!!! 

I'm both a putter snob, and a very lousy putter. I have a small scotty cameron collection. I've paid up to 5 bills for a putter. Because I'm such a bad putter, I appreciate them more as pieces of art than as a golf club.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

IN 1998 I paid $400 for a SC long neck insert putter...and have had it since. Its in a rotation with another Scottie Long Neck that I paid $300 for but that would be my upper limit.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

A year ago, I would have had a different answer, but I just spent $399.99 plus sales tax on a new Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 putter last fall. So, I guess my answer now would be at most $500 😉

TaylorMade woods, Callaway irons and wedges, and an Odyssey putter

Almost as much as a driver ... It is the club you hit most in any round.  $500 is my limit.

I try to play 1x / week but the PA weather usually has something to say about that.

Between $350 and $400. I’d buy the putter I was fitted for.  Brand is not a consideration for me. I believe I can lower my score with a putter more than with any other club. I lean toward a toe hang mallet but only because I don’t have to bend over to retrieve gimmes. 

Ping G400 woods, hybrids, irons. 

Never thought this before, but I purchased the LAB MEZZ 1 this Winter.....incredible rolls and consistency. My Scotty Phantom is on the 'bench'....huge difference, and worth the cost....highly recommended. Four birdies last Sunday in 20 mph winds............

I would pay up to $800 for a custom putter that would help me consistently start the ball on-line. 

TSR3 10 degree (set 9.25) with Ventus TR Blue

TSR 3 18 degree (set17.25) with Mitsubishi Raw White 85 gram

TS200 4-7 KBS C-Taper

TS100s 8- PW KNS C-Taper

Vokey wedges 50.08, 54.10 and 60.14

Evnroll Putter

I just bought my new putter at a fitting for $340. It was a big difference maker I can roll straighter puts now. Just have to make sure my line is right, but I would buy a LAB putter if I had that kind of money.

Driver:  PXG Gen 5XF

Hybrids: PXG Black Ops 19, Gen 5XF 22

Irons: PXG Gen 6P 6-GW

Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy II 52, 56

Putter: PXG Battle Ready II Closer

Ball: pro V1, PXG  Xtreme

For me personally, I do not pay over $200 CAD for a putter, I see absolutely no benefit to the $$$$ putters being sold.  They don't magically turn you from a poor putter player (sorry for all the p's!) to a tour-level putter.  My current putter is a Cleveland Frontline 10.0  It works for me, I paid $145 CAD with tax. 

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

I don't really have a set price in mind. My limit for a driver is apparently $600+ because I just bought a new Ping G430 Max 10K. I'm fine with my $279 Ping Anser. I could probably justify the Ping PLD Milled Anser's price, but I don't think I'd spend more than that. I've always felt good putters could putt well with anything, including a putt-putt golf putter. I think there are larger performance differences once you get into irons, wedges, and woods.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

As your GIR percentage improves that's when you realize the real value of a putter. $600.00 right now but more if you can guarantee me one putts. That's as much as I would spend on a good driver too. What works best for me unfortunately are the milled faced putters, they aren't the cheapest but they work best for my distance control. When I miss, I want it close enough for a tap in. In my current arsenal I have a Scotty Phantom X, Ping PLD Answer 2 and Ping PLD Prime Tyne. During this time with our slower greens I prefer using my Scotty bc I'm more confident in my accuracy and distance control when pounding a ball is required. 

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6