Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Price of a golf round

JCole

As a retired guy I can play during the week fairly reasonably at several courses within 25 minutes of my home north of Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Time flexibility helps.  If you have your heart set on a special course Fri-Sun..it’s not hard to drop $100 or more.  

Mahonex

TaylorMade R1, Grafalloy Blackbird Stiff

Tour Edge, 3wd, 3&4 hybrids

Hogan FTX 5-E, Hogan 4 shafts

Cobra Trusty Rusty gap wedge

Tour Edge Putter

Northern VA area. My local is $32 for 9 hole walking and bw $60-$109 for 18 holes on the weekends with cart. All public courses. 

Edited by Meezi
Added 18 for clarity

Callaway Edge set

Like others, I am fortunate to have very good value at my home course (annual membership). While my membership has increased in each of the last 5 years, the increase is funding course improvements -- new drainage and new irrigation, etc. Current public walk up rate is $60 or so a round. That will increase to $100 or so by Memorial Day.

Generally pay about $75 a round when not playing home course -- mostly in NC. The range of rates is a little extreme for the same area - $50 to $200 a round. And no one wants to pay through the nose and then have to play a 5+ hour long round. Most of my golf rounds are 3.5 hours long. Pace of play needs to be considered in dynamic pricing (good luck with that).

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 12:03 PM, Stuka44 said:

Cost is going to keep going up likely steadily..  The reason is that a majority of golf is played by a minority of golfers.   So if golfers especially those 65+, 17% of which play 50+ times  a year are not readily replaced by others willing to take up the 50, or 30, or 20 times a year, then more must be squeezed from those left in the core of 15+ times a year golfers.

Not sure I completely agree with this line of thinking. Simple economics seems to explain what we are seeing...

Current Market Dynamics: Demand for golf has surged, partly due to the boom the sport saw during COVID-19. Previously, the market equilibrium—where demand met supply at a certain price point—was lower. Now, with more golfers, there is a higher demand for tee times. The market conditions have shifted and courses have had to choose how they respond to this.

Response Options for Golf Courses:

1. Do Nothing: Maintaining current prices and supply benefits consumers but results in an opportunity cost for suppliers, as they miss out on potential revenue from higher prices.
  2. Adjust Supply: Expanding supply by adding more holes or courses, or extending playing hours (i.e., adding lights for night play), addresses increased demand. However, this option involves significant investment and may not capitalize fully on current high demand.
  3. Raise Prices: If demand consistently meets supply, it indicates that prices may be too low. Raising prices is a straightforward response that can lead to a new equilibrium at a higher price level. This approach adjusts the market to reflect the increased value consumers place on playing golf.

All this said, there are absolutely some courses around town that I think have no business being open. That's largely due to them having consistently awful conditions (Tour 18 in my town comes to mind). My guess, is that its either (1) people just desperate to play anywhere, or (2) people who don't know the conditions are terrible and leave disappointed. However, despite there being a lot of courses charging quite a bit despite having sub-par conditions, it indicates they are offering a product that some part of the market is willing to pay for.

Edited by Snowmonkeys1310

Driver - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 9° (@ 8°) | Shaft: Ping Tour 2.0 Black X-flex (1.0" short)

FW -   image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 14.5° (@ 13°) | Shaft: Alta CB 65 X-flex (1.0" short)   

FW -    image.png.86e7aa7f20ff5fea693ff7deb88b3cf6.png S IM2 HL 16.5° | Tensei Blue 65 X-flex (1.5" short)

4H - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G430 22° (@ 23°) | Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX-flex (0.5" short)

5-PW - image.png.17ff27bffaa1408726b50b14d7ad1f64.png Pro 223 | Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour3 115 X-flex

GW - image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 50°  08/F | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

SW -  image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 54° 12/D | Dynamic Gold S200

LW - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png Glide 4.0 - 58° 06/T | Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

4 hours ago, Snowmonkeys1310 said:

Not sure I completely agree with this line of thinking. Simple economics seems to explain what we are seeing...

Current Market Dynamics: Demand for golf has surged, partly due to the boom the sport saw during COVID-19. Previously, the market equilibrium—where demand met supply at a certain price point—was lower. Now, with more golfers, there is a higher demand for tee times. The market conditions have shifted and courses have had to choose how they respond to this.

Response Options for Golf Courses:

1. Do Nothing: Maintaining current prices and supply benefits consumers but results in an opportunity cost for suppliers, as they miss out on potential revenue from higher prices.
  2. Adjust Supply: Expanding supply by adding more holes or courses, or extending playing hours (i.e., adding lights for night play), addresses increased demand. However, this option involves significant investment and may not capitalize fully on current high demand.
  3. Raise Prices: If demand consistently meets supply, it indicates that prices may be too low. Raising prices is a straightforward response that can lead to a new equilibrium at a higher price level. This approach adjusts the market to reflect the increased value consumers place on playing golf.

All this said, there are absolutely some courses around town that I think have no business being open. That's largely due to them having consistently awful conditions (Tour 18 in my town comes to mind). My guess, is that its either (1) people just desperate to play anywhere, or (2) people who don't know the conditions are terrible and leave disappointed. However, despite there being a lot of courses charging quite a bit despite having sub-par conditions, it indicates they are offering a product that some part of the market is willing to pay for.

As someone who works at a golf course I can assure you the rates have gone up due to the price increases in such items as fertilizer, sand, herbicides.  True, Covid did bring in new players but dont forget items were hard to get during that same time also and went up in price and have not come down.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:13 PM, bama no 1 said:

Wow, a 52 walking rate!!! Does your course come with one of those airport express moving walking path?

Labor costs out here are slightly higher than in Alabama.  Our minimum wage is more than double the federal minimum of $7.25. 

Labor is our biggest line item on the annual budget.  If we could cut our labor by 50%, you can be assured that the rack rate would be lower...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I have surprisingly found some good courses to play on Long Island that are not too bad from a conditions standpoint and a price perspective.  Playing the Blue and White 9s tomorrow at Timberpoint and it will be $32 to walk with about 12 of the 18 holes on the water.  VA is still my favorite with Royal New Kent being $250 a month for unlimited golf, range and practice facility.  For me it depends on the course and the experience.  I have played some very expensive courses that were worth it and also played a bunch that checked a box and I would never go back......looking at you TPC Scottsdale.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* HZRDUS Yellow HC 76g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Matrix Black Tie 85x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

13 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

I have surprisingly found some good courses to play on Long Island that are not too bad from a conditions standpoint and a price perspective.  Playing the Blue and White 9s tomorrow at Timberpoint and it will be $32 to walk with about 12 of the 18 holes on the water.  VA is still my favorite with Royal New Kent being $250 a month for unlimited golf, range and practice facility.  For me it depends on the course and the experience.  I have played some very expensive courses that were worth it and also played a bunch that checked a box and I would never go back......looking at you TPC Scottsdale.

Bergen Point is not far from there. I played it a lot when I lived in Babylon. How good it is now is the question? The rates were reasonable as well.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

19 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Bergen Point is not far from there. I played it a lot when I lived in Babylon. How good it is now is the question? The rates were reasonable as well.

I played it two weeks ago and it was not in bad shape. We have had a rainy spring so all the public places have been slow to come around. It is not a bad layout however I think CPG modeled the kill box at 3JN off the 7th green at Bergen. They also converted 9 into a par 3 so houses stop getting hit. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* HZRDUS Yellow HC 76g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Matrix Black Tie 85x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Got the bomb dropped on me last night. My club is reasonable at $150 a month with unlimited play. Cart rental is $20 but I walk so that is not a factor. Got an email last night that there is a $500.00 assessment fee this year for members.

For non members it's only $24.00 to walk 18. How does this even make sense. 

$150  a month ×12 months = $1,800. Walking 75 rounds is $1,800 that's about what I do a year. So why be a member and get hit with assessments. They told me today that there are usually yearly assessments. No mention of assessments when I joined. It's not that I'm cheap but it makes no sense.

Oh boy. I didn't realize how good I had it until I went through some of these comments. I use the golf now app to book almost everything. If I drop $100 on a round, it's because it was me, the wife, a cart and a few drinks. If it's just me, it can be anything from $25 to $50 with a cart depending on how fancy of a course I'd like to play. I don't drink anything but water if it's just me. Some of the prices you guys are calling sound just a bit too much for me. I'm right on the Missouri/Illinois border so I can play in either state pretty easily. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

5 wood - Cobra LTDx

Taylormade P770 4-PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

On 5/3/2024 at 4:34 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Got the bomb dropped on me last night. My club is reasonable at $150 a month with unlimited play. Cart rental is $20 but I walk so that is not a factor. Got an email last night that there is a $500.00 assessment fee this year for members.

$150  a month ×12 months = $1,800. Walking 75 rounds is $1,800 that's about what I do a year. So why be a member and get hit with assessments. They told me today that there are usually yearly assessments. No mention of assessments when I joined. It's not that I'm cheap but it makes no sense.

I guess you need to ask yourself how many rounds are you going to play there and figure a dollar cost per round. 

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

52 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

I guess you need to ask yourself how many rounds are you going to play there and figure a dollar cost per round. 

I probably play 75 to 80 rounds a year. Some are not at my home course. Maybe 60 rounds are, so mathematically it’s not worth membership if they have assessments. I have to talk to the manager to see what the benefits of being a member are. They have a pool but so do I, they have tennis courts, but I don’t play tennis. I play before 8am walking and carts aren’t allowed out until 8am. So I don’t need a tee time.  The only thing I know of is that members don’t have to start on hole 1. I do anyway because there is no one in front of me.

Last year it was worth it because I had a one year trial membership that was only $110 a month and trial members don’t get assessments. Heck I didn’t even know about assessments until I got an email.

If I was retired and could play more the numbers might justify membership. I don’t play in member events either. Too many complainers. I checked into one last summer (there is one every day of the week) I have to give ungodly amount of strokes and word of mouth is the foot wedge is the allowed 15th club.

Both my adult children work there and they complain about all the complainers. The old farts (I can say that I’m an old fart) want more strokes, he was sandbagging, I was shorted $1.00 in the shoot out pay out. The rough is to rough. Trust me it’s not at all. I almost rather play out of the rough. It goes on and on.

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I probably play 75 to 80 rounds a year. Some are not at my home course. Maybe 60 rounds are, so mathematically it’s not worth membership if they have assessments. I have to talk to the manager to see what the benefits of being a member are. They have a pool but so do I, they have tennis courts, but I don’t play tennis. I play before 8am walking and carts aren’t allowed out until 8am. So I don’t need a tee time.  The only thing I know of is that members don’t have to start on hole 1. I do anyway because there is no one in front of me.

Last year it was worth it because I had a one year trial membership that was only $110 a month and trial members don’t get assessments. Heck I didn’t even know about assessments until I got an email.

If I was retired and could play more the numbers might justify membership. I don’t play in member events either. Too many complainers. I checked into one last summer (there is one every day of the week) I have to give ungodly amount of strokes and word of mouth is the foot wedge is the allowed 15th club.

Both my adult children work there and they complain about all the complainers. The old farts (I can say that I’m an old fart) want more strokes, he was sandbagging, I was shorted $1.00 in the shoot out pay out. The rough is to rough. Trust me it’s not at all. I almost rather play out of the rough. It goes on and on.

i hear you brother,  concerning tournaments what you said is exactly why I dont play in them,  cant count on folks being honest, to many foot wedges, give me putts, so forth.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

In Belgium, you are probably looking at around 65-85 euro for a weekday and 115 euro for a weekend green fee. The local 9 hole city "municipal" is 40euros per 9 - complete rip off IMO. Best deal is 25 minutes from the city, twilight fee of 35 euro after 5pm (in Belgium you can golf till 930pm easily in summer).

I am a C card member of a course, which gives me a Federation card (required) and weekday prices on weekends at the course. It also gives me access to the expat golf league that rotates around different courses in the area. This "membership" is 235 euros in the first year and then 160 euros every other year.

A full membership isn't worthwhile as I go home to Canada for summers and have not come around yet to the idea of Belgium winter golf. Plus I golf for free during the season as the HS golf coach at practice and competitions (number 1 perk!).

• Callaway Epic Max LS
  • Cobra Radspeed 3w
  • TM RBZ 19º Hybrid
  • New Level 902-PD 5-PW 
  • Callaway Jaws 52
  • Cleveland RTX 56
  • Alien 60
  • Odessy Dual Force II CS#5 Putter

On 5/3/2024 at 5:34 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This has been my biggest problem with becoming a member somewhere... $500+ for an assessment fee is crazy to me but maybe im just missing some point of it?

My home course has recently changed ownership and are greatly improving the place to be worth the prices again... $75 prime & $40 twilight Fri-Sun/$59 prime & $35 twilight Mon-Thurs rate. All rounds include range balls.

I myself opt for the twilight rates as much over $60 and I find it hard to stomach or I need to be on the range an hour before the session.

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 5i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105-S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Check out my Tests...

4 hours ago, JAYER38 said:

This has been my biggest problem with becoming a member somewhere... $500+ for an assessment fee is crazy to me but maybe im just missing some point of it?

My home course has recently changed ownership and are greatly improving the place to be worth the prices again... $75 prime & $40 twilight Fri-Sun/$59 prime & $35 twilight Mon-Thurs rate. All rounds include range balls.

I myself opt for the twilight rates as much over $60 and I find it hard to stomach or I need to be on the range an hour before the session.

For me personally I dont like to keep my money tied up on 1 course.  To be honest I like playing different venues as I think it actually helps improve my game.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

11 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

For me personally I dont like to keep my money tied up on 1 course.  To be honest I like playing different venues as I think it actually helps improve my game.

I agree with this. I have 5-6 18 hole courses within 30mins of me(1 I spoke about is 5 mins away). All very different type of courses so it is enjoyable but also helps if its a windy day I go where they have tons of tree coverage. Playing in the wind is just not that fun to me as its very unpredictable 

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 5i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105-S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Check out my Tests...

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for cheaper rounds, golf booklets (Tee Time Golf Pass and Victory) and Group Golfer is a great option. Tee Time Golf Pass gives you one free trial usage of any of their deals. 
http://teetimegolfpass.com/free-trial/

Group Golfer is a free subscription that posts new deals to your state you are subscribed to daily. I just saved 50% for my league last week at a very nice course just a county over. 
https://www.groupgolfer.com

- TK

Not sure honestly.  The most I have paid so far for a round of golf is $300 that's for 2 people cart and a rental for my son.  But looking at some courses where I live it will be about $300/person at Cabot only because I am a resident of the province. its like $700 normally.

SCUBA and Golf!! I love to golf during my surface intervals!

I can speak for West Tennessee that the price has increased but not as badly as most areas. It also varies by course here. One of my favorite courses in my area jumped up $15-$20 per round. As a student, that is a big difference. But the summer season and twilight rates have made it to where I can keep playing. GolfNow has also been helpful in catching a hot deal for a great price. On average, I can play 18 with a cart for around $35 on a decent course. When I walk, it's usually around $15-$20 for 18. Since I am in school, walking has been a lot more practical so I can play more for a whole lot less $$$. 

Caleb C.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3

Fairway Woods: Titeist 915 3 wood & 3 hybrid 

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 4-PW with KBS tour shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 9:35 AM, jlowry22 said:

I feel like it's gotten extreme. I joined a club back in December and am so happy I did. The average cost of a round where I am is now close to $100. 

Between my wife, my son, and me, we get in about 15 rounds a month, about 2/3 of those with a cart, from September to March.  From April to August, that probably doubles.  Say 175 rounds with cart and 120 walking in total all year long for us....at about $700 a month (which is higher than we're actually paying, but that allows for an occasional guest fee, dinner in the restaurant, or shirt / hat purchase in the shop), that's about $28 / person / round if we don't break them down further into cart / no cart rounds.  Given the state of the "muni" or public courses around here and their propensity for 5-hour rounds on the weekends, the fact that a long round here is 4 1/4 hours is worth it alone to pay up front for golf, even if we never get to practice....and this year, we've basically never gotten to practice due to the constant rain we've had in DFW all winter and spring.  When we get more time to play, we'll reduce the per-round costs even further.  Our courses, while not the most pristine country club courses in DFW, are still nicer than most public / semi-private options around.

Now, when our son moves up north to work as a hockey official this winter, I will just have to play more myself to reduce the per-round averages I guess....😀

Edited by ctg44

Anyone interested in playing Golf rounds at private courses for discounted rates, please see the auction link below. This company rotates through multiple charity and non-profit organizations to benefit them, and they provide all different type of pricing. They are not location specific. So, you have to check every 5-7 days to see of it is benefitting your area, or of there are any located in your area. I hope some of you take advantage of it. Another great auction site is First Tee, but those you have to search for and are only done yearly.

https://www.memberforaday.com

- TK

I am a member of a private club, the monthly cost isn't cheap.  But, I get what pay for.  As far as daily fee courses are concerned, many of the courses near me have reasonable rates.  However, too many of them do not take care of their courses.  I learned to play on our local muni track.  It isn't a bad layout.  Conditions could be better, but it gets a ton of play.  When I used to play in the mornings, years ago, there was a whole herd of older black men who played there.  The trash talking would start long before they even got out of the parking lot.  Then, the course made some improvements and went a bit "upscale".  Many of those old guys were priced right out of the market.  It was a sad day when the "community" that had grown up around that course could no longer afford it.  We need places for those of us who had little to play.  It doesn't have to be spectacular, only cared for.  There will always be expensive private courses, "elite" public courses, and resort types courses.  But, we need the place for the beginner, the youth, and the old guys on fixed incomes.  While I now spend most of my time at a private club, I have had nearly as much fun playing "cheap" tracks around the country.  I am just extremely thankful for the opportunity be able to play at a variety of courses.  I feel honored to have played with people from all walks of life.  I agree with Harvey Penick, "if you play golf, you are a friend of mine."

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

On 5/6/2024 at 7:35 AM, Haile said:

Oh boy. I didn't realize how good I had it until I went through some of these comments. I use the golf now app to book almost everything. If I drop $100 on a round, it's because it was me, the wife, a cart and a few drinks. If it's just me, it can be anything from $25 to $50 with a cart depending on how fancy of a course I'd like to play. I don't drink anything but water if it's just me. Some of the prices you guys are calling sound just a bit too much for me. I'm right on the Missouri/Illinois border so I can play in either state pretty easily. 

Same here in northern idaho. If i have to pay more than $60 its because its before twilight and with a cart. I also only drink water and i purchase other drinks and snacks from a grocery store or gas station. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

I feel golf has gotten pretty expensive. I feel that golf has gotten popular, or least my algorithm has told me that. Because of the popularity of golf, course pros raise the prices because of demand. Depending on location, and the amount of desirable or travel destination courses also plays a role. People traveling are expecting to pay $200+ a round with a cart because most courses assign that value to themselves. I will also suggest "brand" of course also shares a role in the cost per round. If I were to book a round at a Troon course or a Nikalus course I am expecting to pay more because I can say I played at one of these fancy courses instead of a muni operated by the county. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

If I am willing to brave the summer heat/actually get a tee time, here in Houston I think one of the best deals around is playing Memorial. Can't beat a sub $50 round for a PGA level course. Walked on after getting on the wait-list during teardown of the Houston Open a week after and was the best conditions I've probably ever played on!