Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Any tips for someone looking to regrip their own clubs

18 minutes ago, dbdors said:

I always used a heat gun and it was still a pain.  I just hated it.

It is the worst part. No doubt.  The question is would you rather do it yourself or pay someone else to do it?  Personally I don’t mind it that much, it’s usually a good winter project, or a one off new club.  If you are careful you can reuse the old tape if it’s not too old.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

20 hours ago, jayyarr said:

Like the subject says I am looking to getting into regripping my own clubs and don't necessarily know where to start. Over the years I have gotten pretty particular about my grips and want be able to do it myself vs having to go somewhere to get my club regripped any time I want to experiment with something. Really just looking for any tools/ techniques that people have found helpful just starting out/ some good instructional videos.  

Can't help with tips, but I certainly credit you for your initiative.

I bring my bag to the pro shop and say, "Thirteen new Tour Wraps, please."

TaylorMade BRNR…..13.5° driver (Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60  / Tour Wrap)
Epon AF-906…..20° driving iron (UST Recoil 95 / Tour Wrap)
Titleist T100…..5-9  irons (UST Recoil 95 / Tour Wrap)
Ping DS72…..putter
Titleist Pro V1x…..ball
Titleist Cart 15…..bag
FIVE FAIRWAY WOOD OPTIONS
EIGHT WEDGE OPTIONS

18 minutes ago, Pmullin7 said:

It is. On steel, you can use a blow torch (lightly), then a scrapping tool, lastly acetone. I can strip and clean a shaft very easily this way.

For graphite, patience is the only technique.

I’ve used a heat gun on graphite.  Just don’t overdo it.  Definitely not a blow torch on graphite.  Asking for trouble there for sure.  I have used a torch on steel, no issues.  Again just don’t over do it.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

Welcome to the DIY Division of MGS.  Our motto?  Get a GRIP!

I've tried both methods, and while using compressed air is cleaner and faster in most cases, I've occasionally had a blow out where the grip balloons.  Using a piece of PVC takes a bit of practice.  I've gone back to tape and solvent for consistency.

However, occasionally I'll try a new grip like Dragon Skin and use air to install/uninstall for testing.  Also use air while removing a grip that I've previously taped.  I run a tool under the end of the grip and use air to assist removal.  

Heat guns work on steel too of course.  Leave the torches for lighting cigars!😄  I then use acetone to remove the bits and pieces left over after removing the bulk of the tape and dry the shaft with a towel before slapping more tape on.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

This has become a recent hobby of mine and I can’t stop tinkering with clubs now. Started with regripping my putter, then all my irons, then woods and drivers. Then it turned into buying used clubs to regrip. Then I started tinkering with the shaft height and trimming down a few clubs (essentially all my long clubs) to make them easier to hit, which actually worked thankfully in my case. My new obsession is ferrules, I know this is a segway away from the grip topic, but I am super curious if anyone has any tips or tricks, as I’m looking to not only change the ferrules on a set of irons but to also change the shafts from graphite to steel. Possibly I am looking to switch the shafts on two sets of irons I have, one being steel and the other being graphite. I love the steel shaft on my old set of irons, hate the graphite shaft on my new set of irons but love how hot the new iron heads feel. Hoping to save both sets of shafts and just switch the two. Anyone done this?

Driver - PXG 0211 Gen4

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha B21

4 Hybrid - Wilson D9

7 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 921

7iron-PW - Srixon ZX5

Wedges - Takomo 52*, Vokey 56* & 60*

Putter - Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11

19 hours ago, TSauer said:

If you prefer the solvent route, it's a rather simple process.. don't sweat it too much. Here's a quick rundown of how I do it.

• Remove the old grip and gripe tape.
    • Grip removal tool to save grip, knife to fuhgeddaboudit
    • Heat gun to remove stuck on tape/residue
    • Mineral spirits on a rag to clean up the shaft or any extra tape
  • Put the club in a vice with one of the rubber clamps
  • Apply double sided grip tape to shaft
  • Put your finger over the butt hole of the grip, squirt solvent into the grip and swish it around
  • Pour the solvent onto the tape and then slide the grip on

I use one of those cheap $1 roasting pans to catch my solvent and pour it back into the bottle when I'm done. For the actual solvent, I like odorless mineral spirits. I remember when I first got started doing grips, I bought a cheap vice that clipped onto my countertop and changed them that way.

As one who doesn't have a heat gun and removes the tape manually, I think that's a good recommendation.  I can only do about 3 clubs at a time because of the removal process.  Suffice to say, the removal bullet is the worst part of the process.  The rest is a snap.

I use a paint roller pan for my catcher.  It hangs on the wall above the workbench and is used for NOTHING else.  I want it clean so I can return the runoff to my supply of solvent.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

3 hours ago, ce05krug said:

I’m embarking on this journey soon. I’m not sure if it’s already been said in other replies, but in my ‘how to’ research, it was noted to use a ‘hooked’ knife blade to reduce or prevent cutting into your shafts (esp graphite). 

You can buy roofer's blades for a standard utility knife.  The hook is great, but you still need to be very ginger to avoid scoring the shaft.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

4 hours ago, EnderinAZ said:

Wow, there is sooooo much good information here I just bookmarked the thread! I have changed my own grips for years. Usually a battle, but I am too cheap to have someone else do it for me. 

My little hint. Double sided grip tape is a waste of money. Any double sided tape will work though double sided carpet tape works best and from Ace hardware is 1/2 the price of "grip tape".

Also mineral spirits, or regular el-cheapo Walmart charcoal starter fluid are excellent "grip solvents" again way cheaper than "grip solvent" . Just use throw away nitrile gloves.

I just popped over to the Ace site and found they don't have 2-inch carpet tape; you'd have to go with 2.44.  I bought the 18-ft roll from G.Galaxy for $10.  However, the Ace can of mineral spirits will likely be a lifetime supply and it works fine.

PLEASE note however that disposal of your towels/rags is important.  Whether in your basement or garage, these things can burst into flames as they "dry".  Let them sit out somewhere before wadding them up and tossing them in the trash bin.

Edited by mardukes

I strongly advise using the air compressor method. After many years of doing it with solvent and grip tape, I tried the air compressor method this year and it was a game changer. I recommend this video to show you how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuGnpvDEQuA. Note in the video he demonstrates how to correct the grip if it goes on crooked. I used a tire inflator similar to the one in the video, masking tape, and a small amount of solvent (mineral spirits actually) just like the video to install Golf Pride CP2 jumbo grips and it worked great. Getting the old tape off took way longer than putting the grips on. I've used a hair dryer vs. a heat gun over the years - maybe a little slower but less likely to burn your fingers. The only problem I had was getting the "raft inflating tip" to fit in the small hole on the grip. I wound up using a tip for inflating basketballs, footballs, etc. with a couple layers of masking tape on the shaft to get a good seal. You can get almost everything you need to regrip at a big box store except the vice for the shaft and the grip removal tool if you're not using a hook knife. Final tip: if you've got some old clubs around, practice on a couple of those before you regrip your gamers.

MJH

20 hours ago, dbdors said:

You don't need a big expensive compressor.  A simple tire inflator will work.  Or a cheap harbor freight compressor.  I have a large compressor for woodworking, etc.  But I have this one that I use at  boat storage for tires.  https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-hot-dog-air-compressor-57572.html  It will do the job for  grip for sure.  They go on sale from time to time.  And I got mine in the bargain bin for $30 I believe.  It just has a leaking fitting.  A little Teflon tape and it was fixed.

I like blow on for the simplicity to remove and install.  I used solvent for years.  I finally got sick of removing the old double sided tape each time I needed new grips.  Or If I needed to work on a club and reuse the grip (did this often trying various putter grips.  It is just so much easier.  I can blow off a grip and add a second layer of build up tape and test it out.  If I don't like it, I can blow it off, remove the tape and put it back on.

i love his videos, cool channel

Callaway Ai Smoke Driver
Callaway Ai Smoke 3 Wood 
Callaway Ai Smoke 5 Wood
PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP 4 - PW 
Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 46*, 52* & 56*  
Scotty Cameron - Super Select Squareback 2 Moto 
Vice Pro Plus 

NIKE  Air Sport Bag

Hey! I own a small golf regripping business in Calgary, AB Canada. I have been club building for years..... The biggest thing are the proper tools. What are those?

• Hook blade (to remove grip)
  • heat gun/torch (to remove old tape)
    • You can also purchase a scraper (to use on steel shafts)
  • Grip solvent (I'd recommend green label golf works)
  • Rag or Burlap rag (To use with solvent to remove old tape residue)
  • Rubbing alcohol (To ensure the tape can stick to the shaft after cleaning)
  • A shaft club clamping system (Having a proper one will help efficiency)
  • A marker (To mark the length of the grip for tape application)
  • A solvent tray/paint tray (for capturing solvent for reuse)

I have attached some photos of my shop. My business is called Grip Garage. You can follow my page @gripgarageyyc

As for any other tips and tricks.... If it is a tapered shaft, I'd recommend building up the tapered steps (with buildup tape). Just ensures the grip size is consistent with non-tapered shafts. Use enough solvent...... There are various solvent options out there. Some of them do not lubricate well enough, in my opinion. You can never use too much when you're first starting out. You'll learn through the process of how  much you need. 

20240220_203451.jpg

20240220_203458.jpg

20240220_203642.jpg

20240220_203657.jpg

20240220_203701.jpg

20240220_203713.jpg

20240220_203728.jpg

20240220_203737.jpg

I wasn't a big fan of the tape removal and clean up with solvent (not hard really, just not my preference), and I already had garage, compressor, air gun, vice etc. so blowing grips on was a no brainer for me. Just have to cut off the first set and clean up / set up once and then grip changes are super easy. So easy I've started to use amazon knock-offs and change grips twice a year for summer and winter play. 

Callaway Epic Max LS (Ventus Blue 5S)

Callaway Paradym 3HL (Ventus Blue 6S)

Ping G430 4 Hybrid (Ventus Blue 7S)

Taylormade P770 5-PW (Nippon 950 GH neo)

Taylormade MG4 Wedges (50.9, 54.11 @ 55.12, 60.8)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

4 hours ago, Pmullin7 said:

It is. On steel, you can use a blow torch (lightly), then a scrapping tool, lastly acetone. I can strip and clean a shaft very easily this way.

For graphite, patience is the only technique.

You can pick up a pressed wood [kind of like hard cardboard] with a tip that can be sharpened as needed for scraping graphite shafts. I think I got mine at Golfworks.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

Pretty much all the equipment I ordered has come in excited to get started. My maiden project is going to be shortening a set of irons for my father and regripping them. My newest wrinkle is I ended up getting graphite shafts. I originally was going with a pipe cutter stile shaft cutter from golf works. I was reading online that those aren't the best for graphite.  Was going to just try a hacksaw with tape unless there is a better suggestion/ the pip cutter style would actually work. 

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

2 hours ago, jayyarr said:

Pretty much all the equipment I ordered has come in excited to get started. My maiden project is going to be shortening a set of irons for my father and regripping them. My newest wrinkle is I ended up getting graphite shafts. I originally was going with a pipe cutter stile shaft cutter from golf works. I was reading online that those aren't the best for graphite.  Was going to just try a hacksaw with tape unless there is a better suggestion/ the pip cutter style would actually work. 

ABSOLUTELY!  Do not pipe cut graphite.  You use a hacksaw but not a hacksaw blade.  Ace calls them carbide grit rod saw blade.  Some sources call it a round hacksaw blade.  It's like grinding through the graphite.  Dirty but safe for your shaft.

image.png.d818c58f93cbe5b2f5cfff6025edadf2.png Less than $6.

Put some masking tape around the graphite shaft and then cut through the tape.  I forget where I learned that, but it helps.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:10 AM, Burton29 said:

Hey! I own a small golf regripping business in Calgary, AB Canada. I have been club building for years..... The biggest thing are the proper tools. What are those?

• Hook blade (to remove grip)
  • heat gun/torch (to remove old tape)
    • You can also purchase a scraper (to use on steel shafts)
  • Grip solvent (I'd recommend green label golf works)
  • Rag or Burlap rag (To use with solvent to remove old tape residue)
  • Rubbing alcohol (To ensure the tape can stick to the shaft after cleaning)
  • A shaft club clamping system (Having a proper one will help efficiency)
  • A marker (To mark the length of the grip for tape application)
  • A solvent tray/paint tray (for capturing solvent for reuse)

I have attached some photos of my shop. My business is called Grip Garage. You can follow my page @gripgarageyyc

As for any other tips and tricks.... If it is a tapered shaft, I'd recommend building up the tapered steps (with buildup tape). Just ensures the grip size is consistent with non-tapered shafts. Use enough solvent...... There are various solvent options out there. Some of them do not lubricate well enough, in my opinion. You can never use too much when you're first starting out. You'll learn through the process of how  much you need. 

20240220_203451.jpg

20240220_203458.jpg

20240220_203642.jpg

20240220_203657.jpg

20240220_203701.jpg

20240220_203713.jpg

20240220_203728.jpg

20240220_203737.jpg

Awesome setup!  

28 minutes ago, NCDuffer said:

Put some masking tape around the graphite shaft and then cut through the tape.  I forget where I learned that, but it helps.

This is a must on graphite.  Keeps it from splintering 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 4/24/2024 at 6:03 AM, Josh Parker said:

Either option works great!  I now prefer the blow on method.  It's so quick and easy and no mess.  

Keep us up to date on what you end up doing and how it works out!  Good luck.

Do all grips stay firmly attached if you use the air gun method? Are you still using double sided tape or ust painters tape?

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

1 minute ago, Preeway said:

Do all grips stay firmly attached if you use the air gun method? Are you still using double sided tape or ust painters tape?

I haven't had a single one move on me.  I use masking tape and I have used blue painters tape as well.  

No double sided. I made that mistake and didn't think about that on on of my irons. Tape still looked fine and I hadn't scraped it taking off the old grips and tried to pull it the other day and blew the star grip and bubbled it, stretching it beyond use. 

As long as you use those tapes or no tapes they come on and off super easy. 

7 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I haven't had a single one move on me.  I use masking tape and I have used blue painters tape as well.  

No double sided. I made that mistake and didn't think about that on on of my irons. Tape still looked fine and I hadn't scraped it taking off the old grips and tried to pull it the other day and blew the star grip and bubbled it, stretching it beyond use. 

As long as you use those tapes or no tapes they come on and off super easy. 

Star grips only or have you tried the airgun with other brands. Color me intrigued.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

59 minutes ago, Preeway said:

Star grips only or have you tried the airgun with other brands. Color me intrigued.

I have done it with Star grips but I have seen other people use regular grips. 

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

From the general research i have been doing and statements made by some people far more knowledgeable than me in this post it seems like you can airgun mostly anything not corded. 

While most folks here go through clubs, I try grips.  I'm currently using GolfWorks Linktech Cords.  I blow on my grips.  I've blown on Golf Pride MCC +4, Tour Velvet +4, Tour Velvet, 3 Lamkin versions, three or 4 different Jumbomax, Winns, Star, Pure.  You just have to dial in the right air pressure and have a little patience.  I did ruin one early on with too much air pressure.  I use Golfworks buildup tape and if I'm worried about the grip, a little solvent will make going on easier.  I've only had a few twist and it wasn't every club with the same grip.  Say a .600 grip on a smaller than .600 shaft butt.  I don't remember a .580 ever twisting. Without the double face tape, removal is a breeze.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.  For an update.  I have cut and re gripped 3/7 irons so far so getting there also did a putter.  the superstroke grip was a bit more difficult haha 

Posted (edited)

I see some have said don't use the torch with graphite. I guess I'm too lazy to wait for a heat gun, plus, I've seen the damage people have done with heat guns to graphite hockey sticks on too many occasions.  I trust myself with a torch more to be able to control the temperature because once the fire's out, it starts cooling.  It is really hard to tell when the heat gun is actually hot enough, and sometimes, by then, you've done your damage.  I do use a cut piece of bamboo with a rubber handle for tape removal from graphite shafts.  It's a pre-made tool I got off Amazon, and while it wasn't cheap, it also hasn't so much as scratch even shiny graphite shafts.

Edited by ctg44

Posted (edited)

Progress pictures so far workshop is a bit of a mess kinda just threw everything in to get started will clean it up a bit after i finish this project 

IMG_1033.jpeg

IMG_1032.jpeg

Edited by jayyarr

Like many, I suspect, I learned to do this during the COVID lockdowns and am now pretty proficient. Putting grips on is relatively straightforward for me now, but I have also learned to remove them without damage if I just want to try a new grip size or need to re-do one.

I use solvent and have a grip removal tool. I use a small medical syringe to inject solvent down inside the grip and work it down with the tool until it slides off.

Ping G425 Max Driver 

Ping G410 3-wood

Cleveland Halo XL 7-wood

Srixon Z585 (graphite shafts) 5-GW

Mizuno T20 54 degree (blue ion)

Mizuno T22 59 degree wedge (denim copper)

PXG Operator 2 mallet putter

Compressed air has made most grips easier to install.  Some grips though can be tough.  Long putter grips especially. 

Home replacement is a cinch.  Use either water based or regular grip tape.  For solution I use mineral spirits.  It's slicker and dries faster. 

The hardest part can be getting old grips off.  They can be nasty. 

Changing grips 20 years ago had lead to building custom clubs.   Nothing is better than doing it yourself. 

I recommend Star grips.  I have some that are going on 7 years.  Still in good shape. 

@Mark Robert welcome to the forums. Lots of great input. By the way, thanks for yours. Enjoy.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet