Help me decide on my new putter

Next Putter  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Putter

• Spider Tour RED (Jason Day style)
    • LAB DF2.1
    • LAB DF3
    • Spider Tour (Knapp style)

Help me decide on my next putter. Currently gaming a Phantom x5.5. But as true gear tinker, thinking I need a change. I have read everything I can on the LAB DF2.1 and DF3. But watching the resurgence of all the spiders on tour makes me think about finally getting one of those. 

Driver: Mizuno Stz

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW

Wedges: Vokeys

Putter: Phantom 5.5

Ball: ProV or Chrome Tour X

On 5/4/2024 at 4:26 PM, Chubbs1991 said:

Help me decide on my next putter. Currently gaming a Phantom x5.5. But as true gear tinker, thinking I need a change. I have read everything I can on the LAB DF2.1 and DF3. But watching the resurgence of all the spiders on tour makes me think about finally getting one of those. 

in my opinion, the spider is the best putter tm makes and one of the best traditional putters ever made.

That said, I currently game a df2.1 and the only putter I would buy today is a df3 with a tpt shaft. i haven’t touched a df3 yet, but if I am correctly translating what sam hahn from lab says in interviews, the only reason you would want a df2.1 over a df3 is if you have major problems with the consistency of your strikes along the length of the putter face, as the 2.1 is supposed to be slightly more forgiving than the 3, as the 3 has a reduced blade length. The only problem I have with my df2.1 is how it soles on the ground is a little awkward, and thats supposedly been fixed in the 3.

Good luck with your decision.

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

and then there’s the question of traditional or broomstick, and the answer that seems right to me is -> do you want to spend 4 months to a year learning how to putt with the most optimal form of putting? the broomstick is as close to true pendulum putting as allowed by rule. so is that a project you want to take on and a journey you want to make? if not, get the traditional length and get a lot close to optimal than any traditional putter available. In my opinion. 

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

41 minutes ago, ryan.mzzz said:

in my opinion, the spider is the best putter tm makes and one of the best traditional putters ever made.

That said, I currently game a df2.1 and the only putter I would buy today is a df3 with a tpt shaft. i haven’t touched a df3 yet, but if I am correctly translating what sam hahn from lab says in interviews, the only reason you would want a df2.1 over a df3 is if you have major problems with the consistency of your strikes along the length of the putter face, as the 2.1 is supposed to be slightly more forgiving than the 3, as the 3 has a reduced blade length. The only problem I have with my df2.1 is how it soles on the ground is a little awkward, and thats supposedly been fixed in the 3.

Good luck with your decision.

Just really want a Jason Day red spider no lines.

3 hours ago, Chubbs1991 said:

Just really want a Jason Day red spider no lines.

i’ve had a lot of success switching to red. apparently most human eyes can see the difference between red and green really well, and it helps with alignment. 

“Taylormade says the combination of a red putter, white alignment lines and a green background gives a positive contrast for improved alignment – hence the new TP Red Collection.”

https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/taylormade-tp-red-putters/

I found a few sources that that supported this idea before I got my lab.

IMG_1615.jpeg.7d6b8fb2234174a5a46ded1a5e53d764.jpeg

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

6 minutes ago, ryan.mzzz said:

i’ve had a lot of success switching to red. apparently most human eyes can see the difference between red and green really well, and it helps with alignment. 

“Taylormade says the combination of a red putter, white alignment lines and a green background gives a positive contrast for improved alignment – hence the new TP Red Collection.”

That looks like the best of both worlds.

I'm a lab fan myself but I play the blade style (link1). I was skeptical about using a center shaft and can say I might've found my forever putter. Putts on target more, better distance control and just flat out making more putts. If possible find one of the df models and try it out

Ping G430 Max 10k driver

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3&5 wood

Ping i500 4-pw

Vokey sm9 50,54,58

LAB Link.1 puttrr

I cant decide what to do. But if I could find a Taylormade spider tour red no sight line I think my decision would be made. 

6 minutes ago, Chubbs1991 said:

I cant decide what to do. But if I could find a Taylormade spider tour red no sight line I think my decision would be made. 

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/Spider-Tour-Red/DW-WZ786.html?lang=en_US

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If it was that simple Id have one already. I check that out daily just hoping they have one in stock.

6 minutes ago, Chubbs1991 said:

If it was that simple Id have one already. I check that out daily just hoping they have one in stock.

didn't notice they didn't have any.  You could go used

https://www.golfavenue.com/us/taylormade-spider-tour-red-putter?dexterity=7&length=273&condition_overall=19&spid=149442&srsltid=AfmBOoquieu5xXQ8SAApeMtvAE80wDHkSvK8JzP4aFlYcvGhk9nXRMLH4ew

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 4:51 PM, ryan.mzzz said:

Yeah, the contrast between red and green is the greatest.  As long as you’re not colorblind, your focus using a red putter will be the strongest.  

and my vote is a red DF3 with a TPT.  Make sure you get fitted.  I love the DF2 but the DF3 is sooo much better in so many ways (sound, looks, feel).  It’s just the slightest bit less forgiving but the goods vastly outweigh the bads.  Spiders are the best of the non-lie angle balanced putters imo, but I wouldn’t bother specifically because they aren’t lie angle balanced. 

Edited by manVSgolf