Tuck or Untuck Golf Shirt Playing Golf

We have a thread on this same topic over on SkiTalk in the summer golf section. 

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/shirt-tucked-in.34599/

I do believe women have it a whole lot easier than guys. Our proper golf attire does not require tucking. 

On a hot summer day I'd have a really hard time keeping things tucked because I like the air flow. 

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

Personally, it depends on the course, who I am playing with, and the occasion. A nicer course/country club: Always tucked in shirt, no hat in the clubhouse, ect. Playing with some of my buddies at a local muni then my shirt will almost always be untucked. I think both can look good, for me I just like to wear what feels like is more accepted and what I am more comfortable in those environments. 

Untucked, always untucked with shorts unless some club has policy against it. If I am wearing pants I tuck it in, for some reason I don't like to wear pants with my shirt untucked, but usually it is 40F weather or below. 

Then again I hate wearing belts,, so I try to find shirts I can wear without belts and shirt untucked, but I wear belts with pants. 

Personality I think men with big guts wearing tucked in shirts looks terrible, and I have a big gut so another reason I go untucked. 

Edited by hoppman

Having grown up in the 20th century, shirts were always tucked. Even in elementary school, teachers told us tuck that shirt in. Us boys always came in from PE with our shirt tails hanging out. Some teachers went as far as sending us to the principal's office for not tucking our shirt's in. I knew one of those teacher, it was my aunt. So when I joined the military, tucking my shirt in was not a problem. I began to realized that every time you raised an arm to salute, or reach for ammo, shirt would come untucked. So when we moved to long jungle top shirts, the tuck issued ended. During my 32 yrs of service I began playing golf. Found how much easier my swing felt when shirt was untucked. Wife tried to get me to wear golf shirts with a band around the bottom. She said that looked like it was tucked. I told her look when I raise my arms, swinging my club or throwing my club (after bad shot), shirt comes out. She did agree when I got hot sweat on the course, it's not the shirt that is a problem for me. I have always had a flat butt, no curves. Yes stopping every few holes to tighten my belt is a requirement. So UNTUCKED shirts, save me from showing my playing partners, my ASS.  UNTUCKED CAMP forever. 

Enjoy playing golf NOT trying to be a PRO

I’ve always been a shirt tucked in type of person unless I am on a boat, at the beach, making a mess in the yard, garage, etc. For me golf courses are always shirt tucked in. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I'm team tucked, just cause I'm fat and it makes me look slimmer lol. At least in my eyes, everyone else may differ.

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgDriver: Callaway Edge 10.5

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgFW: Callaway Edge 3W, AdamsGolf TightLies5W

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgHybrids: AdamsGolf TightLies 4H, Callaway Edge 5H

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgIrons: Callaway Edge  5-PW 

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgWedges: Callaway Mack Daddy CB 52, 56, 60

default_odyssey-small.jpg.804c62d15d578bb5a4e994d2099cd3ef.jpgPutter: Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Ball: Kirkland Signature Performance+(Needed cheap balls to start again because I lose them so often)

Just enjoy life, it’s short

I'm good either way. Tucked looks nicer but summers are hot and I want relief. Ha. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Untucked.

I have gone back and forth on the need for dress regulations for golf course wear, but I wouldn't play a course that demanded a tucked shirt. That being said, if it was Augusta, I would tuck, but loosely tuck! To many places to play otherwise. I do respect golf courses right to impose dress codes. They are a business and want their clientele to expect and receive a certain amount of consistency. 

I do however personally hate the argument that to attract people to golf everything needs to be relaxed, easier, faster, louder. Even golfers that play a relaxed set of rules like my group, realize part of the fun of golf is that it is hard. Buckle up buttercup.

I am lucky the courses I play have just enough clothing regs to make sense but are not too stuffy or pretentious to take themselves too seriously.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Isn't interesting that folks mention "looking good" as though their preference for dress equals "looking good?" Like anything else, "looking good" is in the eye of the beholder, so if you feel that you look good tucked, great. If you feel you look good untucked, great as well. I was usually a "tucked" guy before developing "donelaps" disease. Now, I think I look better untucked, so by the standards of "look better = play better," I'd probably lower my handicap if I didn't play at courses that required me to tuck my shirt in 😉.

Edited by TAGolf13

Still swinging after all these years

I think it is just personal preference. That said if I were competing in a tournament I would go for tucked almost always, look good play good 😀

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver

:honma: 3W & 5H

:taylormade-small: P790 4-PW S-Taper S

:benhogan-small: 50, 54, 58

:odyssey-small: 7S

I’m team “Untucked”. As someone who likes shirts that are more fitting, and has long legs (6’5), the untucked looks great on me. I respect those that does keep it tucked, but I’d wanna be comfortable when I play rounds. 🙂

14 minutes ago, donvar said:

Having grown up in the 20th century, shirts were always tucked. Even in elementary school, teachers told us tuck that shirt in. Us boys always came in from PE with our shirt tails hanging out. Some teachers went as far as sending us to the principal's office for not tucking our shirt's in. I knew one of those teacher, it was my aunt. So when I joined the military, tucking my shirt in was not a problem. I began to realized that every time you raised an arm to salute, or reach for ammo, shirt would come untucked. So when we moved to long jungle top shirts, the tuck issued ended. During my 32 yrs of service I began playing golf. Found how much easier my swing felt when shirt was untucked. Wife tried to get me to wear golf shirts with a band around the bottom. She said that looked like it was tucked. I told her look when I raise my arms, swinging my club or throwing my club (after bad shot), shirt comes out. She did agree when I got hot sweat on the course, it's not the shirt that is a problem for me. I have always had a flat butt, no curves. Yes stopping every few holes to tighten my belt is a requirement. So UNTUCKED shirts, save me from showing my playing partners, my ASS.  UNTUCKED CAMP forever. 

we must be from the same generation with the same history and thought process!

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Man, I was hoping for a poll here. This thread is in the email newsletter. @Play18 can you edit the first post and add a poll? I think we'll get a fair amount of votes, haha.

Tucked - just looks nicer to me. I do have some that come slightly untucked every other swing, so I look out for shorts with the grippy strip, and it helps if shirts are long enough.

Btw I just have a tshirt on in my profile pic, no collar, but that was at a driving range 🙂 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

1 minute ago, Beakbryce said:

Untucked.

I have gone back and forth on the need for dress regulations for golf course wear, but I wouldn't play a course that demanded a tucked shirt. That being said, if it was Augusta, I would tuck, but loosely tuck! To many places to play otherwise. I do respect golf courses right to impose dress codes. They are a business and want their clientele to expect and receive a certain amount of consistency. 

I do however personally hate the argument that to attract people to golf everything needs to be relaxed, easier, faster, louder. Even golfers that play a relaxed set of rules like my group, realize part of the fun of golf is that it is hard. Buckle up buttercup.

I am lucky the courses I play have just enough clothing regs to make sense but are not too stuffy or pretentious to take themselves too seriously.

I'm old enough to like a bit of formality,

more than the current generation likes for sure,

but I don't see anything wrong with an untucked shirt that was specifically designed as an untucked shirt.  The Caribbean Guayabera type shirts are a perfect example. They're great for golf...especially with a golf fedora instead of a cap.

I love by the Deion Sanders quote. Look good, feel good. Feel good, play good.

For me that's tucked. Think it's a clean look. For the rest of my day to day, hanging loose and untucked.

Try to get out and play it least once a month. Currently around 25 handicap. Want to get down to bogey golf

2 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I never tucked my shirt in when I lived in Orange County. Majority of California people are more casual. When I moved to the south, everyone tucks in their shirts. I only do it for tournaments or playing nice courses like Pinehurst

cough humblebrag cough 😉 

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I think tucked is a better look for most shirts.

Madison bats -

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5*, Reg 55 gram Riptide

3W - Taylor Rocket Ballz 15* R

5W - Taylor Rocket Balls 19* 

Hybrid 22* Rocket Balls R, 25* Hyper Speed R

Irons - 6-P Titleist AP2 712 S TT Gold Hi Launch

W 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

cough humblebrag cough 😉 

Haha the caddies at Pinehurst said it was not required but recommended to tuck in. I used to hate tucking in but now I do not mind it. I feel it looks better and I agree with someone above. Look good, feel good, feel good, play good haha

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX or Srixon ZX 2 Iron - ADDI 105X

Irons:  :titelist-small: T200/T100S Black 4-AW - MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.10S & 58.04T MMT 125TX (Soon to Test Toura Wedges with MMT 125TX)

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

It depends on the course being played.  Some require the golfers to be tucked and others are laid back so I will adjust to the course requirements.  Either works for me but if it's windy, I will tend to be tucked in.

Best book on golf, "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella

Definitely tucked!!!!  This is a tradition to the game that I enjoy.  Untucked looks sloppy. It doesn't matter how good of physical shape you are in.  When I see a player on the course with an unlucked shirt I immediately think this person doesn't care. I 100% know that isn't true, bit it's a feeling I get. There is a guy at my course who owns his own cart, wears basketball shorts and t shirts exclusively.    When he swings his whole belly comes out of his shirt.  YEAH I DON'T want to see that. Tuck it in. Show some class.  To be fair, I've never tried the untucked shirts that are made to be untucked. They are probably super comfortable,  but in my opinion they aren't for being on the course.    People will disagree and that's okay.  Having said all of that, I don't despise people who untuck. I just prefer a more professional look.  

Always looking for that competitive edge 

I almost always wear shirts that are designed to be un-tucked.  Like these but usually in solid colors:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/habit-mens-upf-short-sleeve-river-fishing-shirt/P03013451?xid=plp_product_11

In our hot, humid climate, I find them to be more comfortable than traditional golf shirts.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Reading through this entire thread, it looks like most people are saying, "depends" 

Let's face it, some shirts look better untucked and some body types look better untucked. 

Others look better tucked. 

As long as I don't look like a slob, I'm good either way. 

But as I said above, I think women have it easier because most of our golf outfits are designed to be untucked. 

As for the talk about loose clothing in hot temperatures, when we golf in 100º+ temperatures, (going tomorrow with predicted temps of 102º) I like to wear a golf dress I got from Puma. The air flow is really nice. When it comes to women's golf dresses, the real controversial question is, should we wear the provided liners or go commando? (that's a whole different topic)

IMG_6400.jpeg.d8d8bf60a4d64645c126183c930e5fb6.jpegIMG_6222.jpeg.30122b2c810ce0daf747823095c620ba.jpeg

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

19 hours ago, chisag said:

... Us older golfers grew up in a tucked era. Tee shirts were the exception. I recently had to revise almost my entire shirt wardrobe because the tails are so long, and untucked they looked sloppy. I still wear my shirts tucked when temps are below 90* but during the summer from late May -Sept we don't see temps below 105* and obviously tucked shirts trap body heat. So I bought 30 new shirts with a shorter tail and they look nice untucked. An added bonus is they are athletic cuts and a much better fit in the body as well. 

I like this. . . over 90 degrees, all bets are off. 

I play golf to relax, reset, & ensure I'm taking time to appreciate me... & hopefully I get better one day 😆

WITB: Mix of 15 yr old clubs, yard sale finds, and slow-coming upgrades each birthday & Fathers Day.  
Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx Max
5W: :callaway-small:RAZR X Black
2h: :titleist-small:915H 17°
3h: :taylormade-small:Burner Rescue 19°
Irons: :nike-small:Victory Red Full Cavity
SW: RIVL 56°
Putter: :wilson_staff_small: Infinite West Loop