Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

(In)consistent

I’ve been playing for 40+ years. I’m 66

this past year I’ve played 65 rounds of golf working very hard to improve my game.  I start the year at a GHIN 16 hdcp.  I’m now a 11.5 hdcp.  Scores currently averaging 79-90.

i am frustrated with my inconsistency of scoring! I can go from routine birdies to blowups during the round.

im looking for advice as I want to continue to improve!  I love the game.

Welcome to MGS!

Unfortunately,  this is Golf!  If it was always perfect, I doubt it would be another four letter word

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Welcome to the Forum! I would suggest you break down your rounds to identify best opportunity to target the improvement you are looking for. Do the majority your missed shots lie in the short game, approach, or tee box?

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Welcome to the forum.

Is it a course management concern? Do you attempt the high risk shot in an attempt to salvage a score, and this leads to additional strokes?

Play the percentages which allow you the best opportunity for fairways and greens, and scores typically will drop, stay consistent.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

9 hours ago, Fdorr143 said:

I’ve been playing for 40+ years. I’m 66

this past year I’ve played 65 rounds of golf working very hard to improve my game.  I start the year at a GHIN 16 hdcp.  I’m now a 11.5 hdcp.  Scores currently averaging 79-90.

i am frustrated with my inconsistency of scoring! I can go from routine birdies to blowups during the round.

im looking for advice as I want to continue to improve!  I love the game.

Welcome to the forum!

If you look at your typical round, what are your normal blowups?  

how many doubles per round?

Are they coming from short game errors or off the tee issues?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

50 minutes ago, Fdorr143 said:

My blowups are always short game faults.   40 yds and in. Also putting missed.   I’m trying different chipping techniques but can’t find a pro that gives this type lesson.

im not frustrated but looking to continue to improve!!   Love the game.

This is where I would spend 85% of my time. Chipping with different clubs and gaining confidence in being able to put the ball within an easy make distance.  Bump and runs, flops. 

Putting practice. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

19 hours ago, Fdorr143 said:

Scores currently averaging 79-90.

I tried to look it up, but I recall reading that most players have a range of about 15 strokes from best to worst rounds.  Every day is different and you will not score the same thing every round.

10 hours ago, Fdorr143 said:

My blowups are always short game faults.   40 yds and in. Also putting missed.   I’m trying different chipping techniques but can’t find a pro that gives this type lesson.

surprised you can't find a coach that will teach short game and putting.   I don't know your thoughts on Youtube or learning from reading books,  but I would suggest Dan Grieve for some short game help.    For putting, we all miss putts;  what specifically do you think your should be doing better with your putting?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, Fdorr143 said:

im just not good at reading break.  Of course our greens are not the best.  So that doesn’t help!

Here is a basic approach for reading greens.  The app goes a lot deeper, but the video is a good place to start.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG