Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge play

Kor.A.Door

Update on the wedge play as of late, so I replaced the sm5 wedges with Cally MD3 49,53,57, and put the slightly stiffer and slightly heavier S400 shafts in them, and they are really good, I can easily hit he 57 to 100 yards with a smooth swing, 53 to 115, and 49 to about 125 with ease, they feel very smooth, and set up well, so far I like the setup with these. I shall see in the coming months if that continues, but for now they are solid.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice!! Good luck - and good "pin hunting" - with the new weapons ;)

Now test out what works most consistently for you hit from like 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 yds out :)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Most of the play from those yardages will be influenced by the lie. Uphill, downhill, tight, fluffy, whether or not I have to fly it or can I roll it up to the green, I like to hit pitch and runs from 20-50 yards if I can, (we have a lot of tight Bermuda so at least for me, pitching it high is usually a chunk). if not I will put some loft on it and fly it farther, I won't use the 57* for anything from 0-70 yards, unless I don't have any other choice.

Isn't Bermuda fun? There is nothing like a tight lie into the grain over a trap from 65 yards to get the heart pumping.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Isn't Bermuda fun? There is nothing like a tight lie into the grain over a trap from 65 yards to get the heart pumping.

In cases Ike that I usually just plan on playing an extra shot from that bunker. those shots end up going one of two ways, 1. In the bunker, 2. Over the other side of the green and into he other bunker. Rarely do I hit it exactly how its planned to go. The best thing is to try to avoid that situation all together.

I had 2 yesterday, one from 65 the other from 79. However I left both on purpose because it was an uphill lie. I hit the first one 15 feet past the hole with lob wedge. The second one was more problematic because I can't hit a 60 79 yards. So I gripped way down on the 53 and made a nice 3/4 swing. Hit it pin high 10 feet left.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Most of the play from those yardages will be influenced by the lie. Uphill, downhill, tight, fluffy, whether or not I have to fly it or can I roll it...

Of course! A short shot presents choices but yes it's usually dictated by the lie.

The idea that I try to do is to have a baseline shot and then adjust from there; eg. this is N yards so a 1/4 swing easy chip with the X wedge "normally" but .. the lie is a little buried and there's more thick grass in front of me vs. green so I need .. say .. the extra loft of the next wedge plus slightly more oomph for a little more trajectory.....

Interesting, related, anecdote:

Was the observer at the green of a Hole In One contest yesterday; a long uphill Par 3 with a hill on the left of the green and a steep drop-off into a deep bunker on the right. The green was deep front-to-back but not all that wide across. This green had a LOT of contours and breaks.

Some people tried to play it off the hill on the left (only one came reasonably close; a few stopped on the collar); only a few players hit and stuck the green; most were short.

Of those that were short - they pretty much 100%, including all four in one group - tried the flop shot. And they pretty much 99% failed; only one stuck it maybe 20ish feet from the hole - but still in a tough place to putt from (they were still on the front side of the hole).

Can't quote the exact stats but the large majority of these groups made bogey.

Only one group made par from in front of the green - one player hit a soft pitch just over the crest and let it roll out. It did roll past the hole but - to a better spot to putt from - and that group hit the putt and made par.

I only saw one birdie from a group that hit the green (short of the flag with a high fade that rolled maybe 25 or so ft past) and then hit a nice "team" putt.

So my takeaway here is Gary Player's line:

"Keep it low and make the dough!"

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Rule to live by:

"Putt when you can... chip when you can't putt... and pitch when you have to."

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I can use PW or 9 for chippin or some pitch shots I don't even think if using anything else, get the ball on the ground and rolling, I only take it high if I have to.

Sounds good!! ..hope the short game .. and the scores .. continue to improve!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Right now our greens are less than good, we got some winter burn on them so they are struggling, they are bit long, so they are overall slower, but some of them are quick as well, it's difficult to get the speed right, so I'm struggling with that.

Archived