Bryson DeChambeau switches to a full cobra bag

Mr_Theoo

Bryson_DeChambeau_960_other_t780.jpg

Bryson DeChambeau, the world's No. 1 amateur who will play in next week's Masters, used a customized, same-length set of Cobra King Forged MB irons for the first time at the 19th annual Georgia Cup on Tuesday.

DeChambeau previously used a set of highly specialized, same-length Edel irons, with which he won last year's U.S. Amateur and NCAA Championship. He had put a new set of the Edel irons in play in March at the PGA Tour's Arnold Palmer Invitational before trying out the Cobra irons.

DeChambeau is expected to turn pro after the Masters and play the RBC Heritage, which starts April 14.

Like his Edel irons, the Cobra King Forged MB irons (3, 5-PW, with KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X shafts) are all 37½ inches long, the same length as a standard 6-iron. Each head weighs 280 grams and has a lie angle of 73.5 degrees.

Ben Schomin, a PGA Tour rep for Cobra Golf who oversaw construction of DeChambeau's set, said he had to bend each iron 10 to 12 degrees more upright than standard to meet DeChambeau's specifications. Schomin also had to grind the soles to DeChambeau's liking. A technician then drilled holes into the toe of the 3-, 5-, 6-, 7- and 8-irons and added tungsten to bring each head to the desired weight.

In addition to the set of MB irons used at the Georgia Cup, Cobra also built DeChambeau a set of King Forged CB (cavity back) irons made to the identical specifications as the King Forged MB irons.

“It took our machinist a day to (add the tungsten weight to) each 3-iron,” Schomin said. “One to do the CB (3-iron) and one day to do the MB (3-iron). And then three more solid days to complete the other irons.”

Schomin said it took him two days to complete the sole grinding and another day for final tweaks.

DeChambeau also carried Cobra Tour Trusty 50-, 55- and 60-degree wedges with KBS High-Rev 130 shafts, Schomin said.

DeChambeau has all of his irons built to the same length and lie angle so he can hone one swing, for improved consistency. He mostly allows the different lofts of each iron to dictate how far the ball flies. And because the heads of the longer irons weigh 280 grams, heavier than typical long irons, the added mass helps propel the ball farther.

Mike Yagley, Cobra Puma Golf's director of innovation, research and testing, said the company previously looked into the commercial viability of a same-length set.

“We did some studies a couple of years ago, actually,” Yagley said. “There is merit to it. The kid is using it, and he's playing good golf with it. There have been other instances in the past where people have put sets like this into play. So yeah, it works. . .

“If you have never played the game before, being able to use the same swing on multiple clubs is potentially a huge advantage for the player. And then, appealing to the logic of a player who has been playing golf a certain way, as Bryson has for years, the logic of having just one swing through a majority of your golf clubs is appealing to players.”

DeChambeau, 22, put a Cobra King F6+ driver into play at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, in which he competed on a sponsor exemption and shot a final-round 66 to finish T-27. The driver has 7 degrees of loft, and Schomin removed the 18-gram sliding weight housed in a track in the sole, bringing the swing weight down to a very light B-9.

To ensure that the modified driver was legal for play, Cobra contacted the USGA for approval.

“They were cool with it, as long as he keeps the weight that we took out in his bag,” Schomin said. “If a rules official came around and said that the driver was not exactly the same as the one in the picture on the Conforming List, he can literally pull (the weight) out and show them the component that he took out.”

In the Georgia Cup match, played at the Golf Club of Georgia in Alpharetta, DeChambeau lost, 4 and 3, to British Amateur champion Romain Langasque of France.

http://golfweek.com/2016/03/31/bryson-dechambeau-plays-cobra-irons-georgia-cup-2/

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I really like this kid. Watched him a little in last year's FedEx St Jude tournament. And I think he might go down as a stellar ball striker.

Going with Cobra was a good move for both. Cobra owns the youth like no other.

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Cobra strikes (oh how puntastic this could be)

Good move, pulling in the top amateur.

Good/bad for Edel? cobra is in a position to scale the single length iron business under a major name, and with the young players on staff, could be a big boon!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Great move for cobra, does seem like a money grab since he's turning pro shortly.

Don't blame him though, I'd be grabbing money too!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great move for cobra, does seem like a money grab since he's turning pro shortly.

Don't blame him though, I'd be grabbing money too!

I was thinking the same. All bout the money. Wonder if we will see them in play at the masters.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Very surprised to see this happen. More surprised that cobra would put this much work in to make this set.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I am very interested to see how this kid plays next to some of the stars of golf! I know he has had some success on exemptions but there is something to be said when the putt is for millions of dollars.

I do however love the fact that he is different and studies the game of golf. We need someone like him, not a all out bomber but thinks about the game and love what it stands for!

Instagram 4par18

My Bag:

Stolen clubs....in between!   

Very surprised to see this happen. More surprised that cobra would put this much work in to make this set.

Cobra put in a bit of work for Rickie's set so I'm not too surprised

Very cool! Hopefully this isn't a death blow to Edel because they do make very very good stuff!

Interested to see what success, if any, that Cobra has if they do release a single length set. I don't feel anybody will have success with it because for it to work properly the build/fit has to be super specific. Unsure as to any large OEM that could produce that.

I was thinking the same. All bout the money. Wonder if we will see them in play at the masters.

Well I'm sure he's getting paid but in some respects its not about the money.  Being with Team Cobra will give him access to a Tour van at any stop he plays to get tweaks done and other support for his equipment.  Edel I'm sure can't provide that.  So there are probably some practical matters in play there as well.

If cobra did a GI or SGI line in single length for beginners ( hell I'd be interested as I play GI irons) it could make it easier to pickup the game. One wouldn't have to have a single plane swing, just a few different swings for woods and irons. I love the challenge and difficulty of golf, it truly is a singular game against yourself, but to get more people into it, single length iron starter sets is a muuuuuuch better idea than non conforming equipment, 8-12 inch holes and 3-6 hole "rounds".

I would think it would be easier for a large OEM since they have the means to moderately mass produce a true Single length line seeing as they do 2-3 new iron lines every year anyway.

If cobra did a GI or SGI line in single length for beginners ( hell I'd be interested as I play GI irons) it could make it easier to pickup the game. One wouldn't have to have a single plane swing, just a few different swings for woods and irons. I love the challenge and difficulty of golf, it truly is a singular game against yourself, but to get more people into it, single length iron starter sets is a muuuuuuch better idea than non conforming equipment, 8-12 inch holes and 3-6 hole "rounds".

I would think it would be easier for a large OEM since they have the means to moderately mass produce a true Single length line seeing as they do 2-3 new iron lines every year anyway.

I think that's a good idea in theory but if it's just SGI or GI irons what's happens when the new player gets better and wants a set of player irons. They will have to learn a new swing all over again.

I think that's a good idea in theory but if it's just SGI or GI irons what's happens when the new player gets better and wants a set of player irons. They will have to learn a new swing all over again.

Good point. I'd guess that if DB does well, they'd test the market with a small offering. If an OEM did want to test it out on a larger scale, they'd have to consider an extra 2-3 lines of irons: their typical GI, mid cap and player irons in traditional set up, and then how many of those groupings in single length.

Damn Theoo, now you're making me think....it's the weekend.....it's my no thinking time.

Maybe do prolonged release cycles? But up to 6 iron lines would be brutal.

Again though, if BD does well......

Did anybody look at the date of the original story? Is the sane as the PXG Gold. It's sounds good until you get to the part about taking a piece off the driver and having it in the bag. I'm pretty sure that doesn't hold up on the course or in the rule book. Plus nobody switched clubs right before the Masters. I'm calling fake.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Did anybody look at the date of the original story? Is the sane as the PXG Gold. It's sounds good until you get to the part about taking a piece off the driver and having it in the bag. I'm pretty sure that doesn't hold up on the course or in the rule book. Plus nobody switched clubs right before the Masters. I'm calling fake.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The date was the 31st. I thought it might be an April fools joke too but to publish it a day early seems a bit of a stretch

http://www.golfwrx.com/364122/bryson-dechambeau-witb-2016/

That was from mid-march.  Since he was already playing Cobra at the top end of the bag it's not a far stretch to think he will go on staff with them once turning pro and they built him irons and wedges to match.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I am very interested to see how this kid plays next to some of the stars of golf! I know he has had some success on exemptions but there is something to be said when the putt is for millions of dollars.

I do however love the fact that he is different and studies the game of golf. We need someone like him, not a all out bomber but thinks about the game and love what it stands for!

Instagram 4par18

I totally get your point, EXCEPT, most of these kids are already millionaires before they play one official round, thanks to endorsements. They're not playing for gas money any longer.

Now Jim Herman? THAT guy had to have some stones to bring it to the house on Sunday. Congrats to him!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived