Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Stone Ridge Golf Club

SPY ZINGER

Stone Ridge Golf Club

Stillwater, Minnesota

IMG_2254.jpg

Located just fifteen minutes east of downtown, St. Paul, Minnesota, is Stone Ridge Golf Club in Stillwater. Since “The Ridge” opened it's gates in 2000, it has been frequently ranked by Golfweek as the number one public access course in the Twin Cities area. Designed by Bobby Weed (TPC Las Vegas, Summerlin, Tampa Bay, and River Highlands) Stone Ridge is a links style layout that provides what is probably the closest experience to The Open style layouts in Minnesota.

IMG_2255.jpg

After a change of ownership and awkward management of my old club, I decided to join Stone Ridge in the fall of 2011 and remain a current member, renewing for the 2013 season. Having been a regular player of the course since 2000, I didn't need to ‘try out' the club before joining. Since the start of my membership, I have played about 50 rounds at the club over the past two seasons. WIth those rounds under my belt, in addition to the rounds I have played since 2000, I feel as though I can provide the MGS readership with a fairly accurate review of the course I call home. Wether you are a resident of Minnesota, or traveling to the area soon, I hope you can utilize the information herein to assist in your decision to play the course.

Although Stone Ridge is a public course, they consider themselves to be a semi-private venue. They earn this title by providing member only blocks on the tee sheet, as well as member only weeks during the early spring and late fall. As a new member, I was impressed by the reception I received by the staff. The head professional, Keith Kalny, was really organized and welcoming ensuring my locker was promptly assigned, my members bag tag ordered, entry into the club's handicap service (NGN), and provided an overview of the season long event schedule. Stone Ridge truly has the feel of a private course with well organized men's, women's, and mixed events throughout the year.

The members locker room is staffed and well maintained after twelve seasons. Amenities include shoe service, showers, conference room, and a lounge area with several televisions, and a Golden Tee arcade game in the corner. The locker room has a private exit which is positioned just off the practice green. The pro shop is well stocked with apparel and offers a variety of Titleist, Cobra, Nike, and Taylor Made demo equipment which members can use on the range or take right out to the course. It's also one of the few shops in the area that I have seen that stocks Travis Matthew apparel.

Unlimited range access is complementary for members at Stone Ridge and offers one of the best practice facilities in the area. The grounds crew does a great job with turf management on the practice tee and players have several targets to hit to. There is a members only practice tee on the opposite side of the range that is always stocked with baskets of balls, and bottled water. There is also a members only short game area with a large green and practice bunkers. The practice green is also well maintained and the speed is always consistent with on-course conditions. Members also receive complementary bag storage as well as mill river pricing in the pro shop at no additional cost.

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

From the tips, Stone Ridge stretches to 6992 yards. As a ten handicap, I primarily play the Blue tees at 6702 yards. There are 18 individually named holes that are as unique as the holes themselves. With bent grass tees, greens, and fairways, Stone Ridge has always been one of the best manicured courses in the state. Rolling fairways, native fescue, and undulating greens, provide for a great test of golf each and every round. The course does not have a great deal of water, but wild native grass, and large sand waste areas (like those commonly found in the Southwest) are abundant if you stray off the tee box. Long fairway and deep green-side bunkers do their job in guarding intended landing areas or tucked pin positions. Wind is always a factor at Stone Ridge, and seems as though it can shift instantly on the same hole which adds to the links feel of the course.

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

I am not certain what Stone Ridge would consider their signature hole, but I believe the par 5 11th is deserving of that title. It is not a long par 5 at 503 yards from the back tees and is reachable in two. On the tee box, you are challenged with a forced carry over a pond, as well as an old white barn down the left side about 200 yards out. The structure is an original horse barn owned by the Splinter family before the land was a golf course. A long waste bunker protects the right side of the fairway. From the blue tee's, I am commonly left with 220 yards for my second shot into this large green that slopes from back to front with strategic green-side bunkering. This happens to be my favorite hole, and one I birdie most.

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

One of the most important aspects of The Ridge experience is the pace of play. Players are put on notice from the time they enter the clubhouse with several signs and placards as reminders of their pace of place policy. Course marshals are active and enforce pace with gentle reminders if you are unable to maintain your position on the course. Even during peak times I cannot think of a time where I have played a round lasting longer than 4:15. For me, this is a critical component in choosing a venue, especially one to call your home course.

There are two identified negatives after a complete season as a member. One would be a relatively simple fix, the other is a little more complicated. First the simple. Stone Ridge does not offer a nine hole cart fee for members. Granted, if you are jumping out as a single, you are only charged for a half cart, which for members is $14. However, if I want to play only nine holes or play just a few holes at twilight, the price for a cart is always $14. Sure, this is a nitpick, I understand that. But over an entire season, there is some cost savings to be had if this were an option.

The second negative has been a complaint of mine since the course opened and has to do with the quality of sand in the bunkering. It's also a major complaint of any non-member guest I bring to the course. If you visit the course website, the bunkers are described as “rustic irregular bunkering.” There are a significant amount of waste areas on the course. So large in fact, that many of the waste areas actually blend into fairway bunkers and end up being hazards for parallel holes. They're huge. They also contain a significant amount of pebbles and rocks that range in size from pea to a golfball. I understand recent USGA rule modifications permit their movement, but they literally make up the texture of the bunker. It's impossible to move them all around and underneath the ball. The greenside bunkers are a little less dramatic, but not by much. On some holes, the waste areas are again so large, that they actually serve as greenside bunkers as well. I do believe an effort was made to soften greenside sand, but the improvement has been minimal. The rocks and pebbles that make up the sand in the bunkering will destroy a wedge. I can't tell you how many guys I've had on the course that hit a rock only to find a gigantic ding in their new wedge.

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

I realize wedges are not fine jewelry and are meant to take a beating. But there is a difference in normal wear and tear versus metal displacement, groove collapse, and sizable nicks. Most guys that I play with regularly bring their “rock wedge” whenever they play with me at The Ridge (usually a PING tank). Now, if you expect this, and prepare for it, it's not really an issue. The sand is consistent, it's very coarse, and you learn to play it with wedges you know will be taking a beating over a season. But if you are unprepared and bring your favorite Japanese forging you just spent $350 on, you'll leave unhappy without question.

IMG_2278.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

Rocky sand aside, Stone Ridge is a close as you can get to a perfect annual semi-private membership or daily fee experience. A premium practice facility, friendly staff, pristine conditions, and a challenging layout prove Stone Ridge is worthy of it's many accolades. The newly remodeled, Danny's Bar and Grill is well appointed and serves fantastic food. If you want to eat there on a Friday-Sunday for dinner, you'll need a reservation as the locals have it in their dining rotation.

I am lucky to call Stone Ridge my home course for another season. It's a definite must-play wether you're local or just passing through.

stoneridge-scorecard.jpg

Posted Image

Looks like a perfect place for a MN/WI MGS outing!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Great review Zinger. I've played there many times. Let me know if you want to organize the MN/WI MGS outing next year!

On a side note the Splinters are good family friends. If you know Roger tell him Brian Meyer says hi next time you see him.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great review Zinger. I've played there many times. Let me know if you want to organize the MN/WI MGS outing next year!

On a side note the Splinters are good family friends. If you know Roger tell him Brian Meyer says hi next time you see him.

I have met Mr. Splinter once, but do not "know" them. If there is interest, sure, I would be happy to organize an event next Spring.

What did you think of the sand? Am I off base there?

Posted Image

Wow that sand looks like a New Zealand beach. Wait for it.

Apart from that looks like fun.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I have met Mr. Splinter once, but do not "know" them. If there is interest, sure, I would be happy to organize an event next Spring.

I don't think you are off base at all. I understand their rational for the sand, but to me it doesn't match the condition and quality of the rest of the course.

If I was a member there I would definitely carry a junk wedge.

Count me in for THAT outing!

Paul

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I don't think you are off base at all. I understand their rational for the sand, but to me it doesn't match the condition and quality of the rest of the course.

If I was a member there I would definitely carry a junk wedge.

Ok, good feedback.

Paul

Sounds like a plan for next Spring!

Posted Image

Paul

X2 Count me in too.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in as well -- have driven by Stone Ridge dozens of times but haven't made the trip to play it. Looks like a gem -- rocks and all!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow that sand looks like a New Zealand beach. Wait for it.

Apart from that looks like fun.

AJ

HEY, HEY WHAT THE ... :angry:

That is rough, AJ (pardon the pun). Clearly you have only been to NZ West Coast beaches...

Here's a photo of an Australian beach that I saw recently:

australian beach.jpg

I know which one I'd rather have... :lol:

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

In a rather curious move, given our weather this Fall, they closed the course down November 1. A week later, the head pro and general manager resigned after 12 years (since the course opened.) Wondering what changes this might bring for 2013.

Posted Image

Looks like a fun track, LOVE the idea of the barn in the middle of it!!! Can you actually hit over the barn?

Yes, the barn is positioned left of the fairway, but plenty of room if you can clear it which will make this a reachable par 5.

Here it is from behind to give you some added perspective (the barn, not me.) Also, my avatar is me standing in it! We had our family photos in there as well this year. Lots of action at this barn! You should add this to your destination spots, T!

photo.jpg

Posted Image

Here's my buddies wedding, this is actually his grandparents old barn. We did pictures around the course.

74147_1422440812142_410706_n.jpg

It's an icon of the course for sure. What year was that photo...I think they have painted it (white again) since.

August of 2010

Makes sense...now which one are you in the photo?!

Bottom left guy.

• 2 months later...

Snow. Cold. Grumble grumble....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I was just perusing their website....is this course really a hundred bucks a round????

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Archived