Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ace of Clubs Golf Co. Leather Putter Grip Photo Thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daniel, from what i've seen your grips look great. 

Welcome to the site, and I wish you all the best.

If you have the chance (and if it doesn't give away trade secrets) could you walk us through your process as you use leather to create suto skins? 

Thanks for the support!

I would be happy to share our process with you.

1. We start with a rubber core that we have designed specifically for our putter grips.

2. Next, we choose a leather to wrap the rubber core with. We use only genuine leather to make all of our putter grips and I design them personally. If a leather is available we buy it, if its not, we make it. (I apologize, but I can't share with you the process that my factory uses to make our leathers. All I can tell you is that it is a patented process.)

3. We then cut the leather to the size grip we are making. Also, the leather is hole punched for the hand stitching.

4. We then apply the leather to the grip using a mild adhesive to hold it in place for the hand stitching process.

5. We then hand stitch the leather to the grip for the finished product.

post-54443-0-07055700-1406684950.jpg

Hi Daniel, Welcome to the forums! Looks like you have a wide range of options in your line-up. I'm a novice when it comes to grips really, and pretty cautious about purchasing online, so do have a couple of questions:

• Pardon my ignorance with this one :wacko: ... What is the difference between 'leather' and 'genuine leather'? I thought leather was just cow hide - is that what these are? 
  • the grip caps seem to have a bit of a flange on them - is this part of the design? Any issues with catching going in/out of the bag?
  • wondering about the longevity of the grips - is there a standard for how long a putter grip should last? does the stitching fray over time etc?

Thanks for your time, and welcome again to the forums - you picked a great one! There are a great bunch of guys and gals in here!

Brad

Hi Daniel, Welcome to the forums! Looks like you have a wide range of options in your line-up. I'm a novice when it comes to grips really, and pretty cautious about purchasing online, so do have a couple of questions:

• Pardon my ignorance with this one :wacko: ... What is the difference between 'leather' and 'genuine leather'? I thought leather was just cow hide - is that what these are? 
  • the grip caps seem to have a bit of a flange on them - is this part of the design? Any issues with catching going in/out of the bag?
  • wondering about the longevity of the grips - is there a standard for how long a putter grip should last? does the stitching fray over time etc?

Thanks for your time, and welcome again to the forums - you picked a great one! There are a great bunch of guys and gals in here!

Brad

Brad,

Thank You! And I may say that these are all great questions you have raised.

Let me start by explaining the difference between "genuine leather" and "leather." Genuine leather is defined as the skin of any animal. When people speak about leather, they are usually talking about cow leather. A genuine cow leather putter grip can range anywhere from $30-60. But the term "genuine leather" can also apply to other exotic animals; such as alligators, ostrich and snakes. But genuine exotic leather has a very high price. An exotic leather putter grip can cost anywhere from $100-300. Which is where our company comes in. We offer genuine cow leather putter grips with finishes that replicate the look and feel of exotic animal skin in a variety of fun colors for only $24.99 each.

There are several different grades of genuine leather, but that is a conversation for another night.

The other type of leather that can used for manufacturing goods is know in the industry as "PU Leather." This type of leather is not the skin of an animal and is manufactured in a factory. Also, it is typically referred to as Pleather and wears out very fast. You would not want to buy any item that made of this material. Especially an item that you use for an outdoor activity.

Next, our grip caps are designed to be very thin in an effort to eliminate unneeded weight from the putter grip ends. This is all accomplished with the goal of achieving an even weight distribution throughout the handle. But even though the cap is thin, we make every effort to ensure their durability also. We designed all of our grips to withstand the wear and tear that a golfer puts his equipment through. 

Finally, a genuine leather grip like ours, can last for your entire life span. It just depends on how well you take care of it. For example, an untouched and uncared for genuine leather grip can last a few years. Over time the oils from our hands, chemicals we pick up on the golf course and bag wear can cause the leather to dry out. But a putter grip that is cleaned regularly and conditioned ever so often, can literally last you a lifetime.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses Daniel, I didn't realize it was so involved!

Our pleasure.

You have to be careful of the imitation leather out there. It is not long lasting material.

All of our grips are crafted from genuine cow leather and finished with hand stitching. 

Since you brought it up, I'm kind of curious how you can tell good quality cow leather from bad quality cow leather?

Another great question.

Most of the time it is very difficult, from a consumer stand point to tell the differences between cow leather grades. The lower grade skins tend to have uneven discoloration to them and are usually cut down into smaller pieces to hide imperfections. Also, once the skin has been dyed and cut it can be almost impossible to tell the grade.

A good example to explain the different grades of leather is to think of a pair of leather dress shoes. Most dress shoes that are manufactured from several different pieces of leather cut from a "lower grade skin," and are then stitched together. These shoes tend to be less expensive than a pair of dress shoes crafted from one piece of "higher quality leather." The same can also be said about all cow leather items.

Additionally, when it comes to leather quality, is more expensive to access these larger skin pieces or "high grade cow leather." So most manufacturers will use several smaller skin pieces or "lower grade cow leather" to produce their products.

As with most things in golf, I would always refer to the feel of an item to determine its quality. As all high quality leather will be supple, soft and smooth.

Keep the questions coming guys. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Also, we launched our new website today. Be sure to check it out. www.aceofclubsgoflco.com and tell us what you think? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I am having doe issues uploading some more leather photos at the moment. But I will get those posted as soon as I can.

I actually really like the blue on black contrasting in that picture, they both come up really nice

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had never previously used a plain leather for any grip design. But, I really like the antique, modeled look of this leather. It reminds me of an old boxing glove.

P1050719.jpg

Antique Red Leather

P1050721.jpg

Antique Red Leather

This is a new snake leather that we are experimenting with. It looks and feels like a Cobra. However, we do not recommend that you touch a Cobra to confirm this claim.

P1050723.jpg

White Cobra

P1050730_2.jpg

White Cobra

• 2 weeks later...

Archived