Afraid to play new balls

Our Sponsors

Welcome, WScott.  Isn't it amazing how many premium balls you can find in a single round?  My last round I found 3 "grade A" Pro V1s; they weren't even hard to find, one was just sitting down a little in the first cut.  I think a lot of lost balls have to do with ego.........guys that hit it 260 and start looking in the 300yd range, then give up and drop one.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like you need to re-train your brain. Try this:

I hit two good balls yesterday... I stepped on a rake.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.�- Yoda

Posted Images

I was playing Bethpage Yellow early this spring (a weekday morning), and the crews were clearing the leaves, underbrush, and grass between fairways and uncovering all of the previous season's escapees, shall we say.  I must have picked up 3 dozen "perfect" ProV's and left dozens more behind.  I was good for the rest of the season...

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I find so many top grade balls that I almost never have to buy them.  As a result I also never think twice about using them on water holes or OB holes, etc.  When I find balls I grade them.  The worst go into my "hit away" collection.  I hit them away before a round when I can do so instead of buying a "bucket" of range balls.

The next best grade goes into my practice bag.  I use them wherever I can practice, pick them up, hit them again.  When they get worn they go into the hit away bag.

Of course the final grade includes all the balls I play with.  I keep more of the brands I like most on hand.  But otherwise this allows me to play with top grade balls I might not otherwise try.  For example, this week I played with six very near new 2014 Nike top grade balls.  I played well and liked them much more than I could have guessed based on the result I got from Nike balls in years past.

I am just lucky to play a course where balls are easily lost.  And, as an old caddie, I know where to look!  Where?  Everywhere!   :)  Scott

Welcome Scott! Glad you joined us.

You summed up my process for used balls, although I tend to only keep the brand I currently play for practice.  

I have one problem though.  When I first started playing, I found lots of balls when I was looking for mine; buckets of them!  Now that I am always in the fairway, I don't find that many.   :lol:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”