Agreed Rev I always saw the forward press as a move with the hands in the direction of the target as a way of triggering the back swing.  Phil Mickelson also has a pronounced forward press when he putts.  Having said that I have also heard totally unrelated moves like kicking the right knee in as a trigger to start the swing called a forward press.  They probably call it a forward press because it is used as a trigger, hence any trigger move that a golfer uses is a forward press.  Terminology is all it is, wether it is correct terminology I will let more knowledgeable people make that call.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Nicklaus used to pivot his head a bit.  I think it was far more common with older equipment than today. 

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

It doesn't work for me, except when I am putting.  I tried it after I read Harvey Penick's little red book he refers to it as "swing the bucket" with a slight forward press. When I tried it, it just felt a little strange and I would tend to get me hands outa whack ! but sure it was more of a mental thing for me trying something new.

• Like 2

It doesn't work for me, except when I am putting.  I tried it after I read Harvey Penick's little red book he refers to it as "swing the bucket" with a slight forward press. When I tried it, it just felt a little strange and I would tend to get me hands outa whack ! but sure it was more of a mental thing for me trying something new.

I'm thinking this has more to do with putting style than anything else. It seems to me that those with a sweeping stroke have a forward press whilt those with a pop stroke don't.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I'm thinking this has more to do with putting style than anything else. It seems to me that those with a sweeping stroke have a forward press whilt those with a pop stroke don't.

That agrees with what I have observed.  I'm a sweeper.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played yesterday with a "hands forward" at address. In doing so, I really felt the "slap shot" concept. All in all, I was very happy. I had to open the face a bit in order to not overcook a draw. Overall, I would say it was a beneficial golf position, and I will continue to refine it..

I don't "bump" it, I just get it out there.

For putting, it wasn't good at all, for me. It made me jab at the ball rather than a shoulder sweep. But, that's just my experience.

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I'm liking this thread because it's making me wonder if my hands are in the right position at address all the time. 

Hand position and forward press are two things and I fully agree that it's very rare to see a true forward press in a full swing these days - you see it in putting fairly frequently but it either works or doesn't.

Set up though is another matter - the closer you can set up to the position that you want to be in when you hit the ball the easier it is to get back there.  Doesn't mean it can't be done another way - I'm just thinking in regards to what's the easiest.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

One thing for sure, it's harder to fade the ball without a super conscience effort to have the face open. And that's probably a cue for those who fight a slice.

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

• 2 weeks later...

Finally was able to get on the range today after another week of rain and 60 hours plus of work when it wasn't raining. :(

I thought of opening a new thread actually after the session but realize that people don't often comment on threads that deal with basic things (perhaps they should but they don't.)  Instead I'm hopping back on here to offer some thoughts if only to solidify things for myself. 

I've been very frustrated with my golf game this summer - poor weather, being busy, work obligations have made it very difficult to practice and/or play with any sort of consistency.  The game has been difficult and my shot making very spotty.  A week of inactivity meant more of the same old, same old on the range.  After some warm up I hit a couple of dozen so so wedges at a target 110 yards away - there weren't any horrible shots but the ball flight was all over the place.  Next I hit the 7 iron at a pin 147 away, same result only worse dispersion and diversity in trajectory.  Driver took a couple of swings but it was okay so I went back to 7 and it was all over the place.  In fact I was ready to walk into the clubhouse schedule a lesson for next Tuesday and put the clubs away until then when I decided to take a 5 minute break and reflect. 

I remembered this thread not to follow suggestions so much as to consider what basic thing I might try shifting to effect a more consistent ball flight - I knew my grip was proper as was my stance but the one thing that I thought might be off was ball position (my mistakes were thin so I moved the ball back in my stance about 2 inches). 

The first shot was wonderful, high, a slight draw, it finished hole high or past about 15 feet right (there was a slight left to right breeze that held the draw up.)  The next three balls all looked the same and finished just right of the pin.  I hit the fifth one a little thin but it still flew fairly high with a slight draw and the last six (without the aiming aid) were all beautiful, high with a slight draw or straight, missed one left the others a tad bit right (again the breeze.)  I most certainly hit 9/10 solid and could have easily hit all 9 of those on the green on a course.

So I pulled my GW (weaker than Jason Day's :)) and started hitting it towards the 110 yard flag.  All 8/10 were on the green which is a 15 foot closely mown circle around the pin - the 2 misses were fine - one was around 25 feet left, the other a little short (but these were range balls.)

I'm hopeful - I'd like to get to the range tomorrow but it's supposed to be a total wash out.  Can't Sunday or Monday so I may have to wait until Tuesday to see if I finally have something that will carry over from one day to the next.

• Like 2

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Finally was able to get on the range today after another week of rain and 60 hours plus of work when it wasn't raining. :(

I thought of opening a new thread actually after the session but realize that people don't often comment on threads that deal with basic things (perhaps they should but they don't.)  Instead I'm hopping back on here to offer some thoughts if only to solidify things for myself. 

I've been very frustrated with my golf game this summer - poor weather, being busy, work obligations have made it very difficult to practice and/or play with any sort of consistency.  The game has been difficult and my shot making very spotty.  A week of inactivity meant more of the same old, same old on the range.  After some warm up I hit a couple of dozen so so wedges at a target 110 yards away - there weren't any horrible shots but the ball flight was all over the place.  Next I hit the 7 iron at a pin 147 away, same result only worse dispersion and diversity in trajectory.  Driver took a couple of swings but it was okay so I went back to 7 and it was all over the place.  In fact I was ready to walk into the clubhouse schedule a lesson for next Tuesday and put the clubs away until then when I decided to take a 5 minute break and reflect. 

I remembered this thread not to follow suggestions so much as to consider what basic thing I might try shifting to effect a more consistent ball flight - I knew my grip was proper as was my stance but the one thing that I thought might be off was ball position (my mistakes were thin so I moved the ball back in my stance about 2 inches). 

The first shot was wonderful, high, a slight draw, it finished hole high or past about 15 feet right (there was a slight left to right breeze that held the draw up.)  The next three balls all looked the same and finished just right of the pin.  I hit the fifth one a little thin but it still flew fairly high with a slight draw and the last six (without the aiming aid) were all beautiful, high with a slight draw or straight, missed one left the others a tad bit right (again the breeze.)  I most certainly hit 9/10 solid and could have easily hit all 9 of those on the green on a course.

So I pulled my GW (weaker than Jason Day's :)) and started hitting it towards the 110 yard flag.  All 8/10 were on the green which is a 15 foot closely mown circle around the pin - the 2 misses were fine - one was around 25 feet left, the other a little short (but these were range balls.)

I'm hopeful - I'd like to get to the range tomorrow but it's supposed to be a total wash out.  Can't Sunday or Monday so I may have to wait until Tuesday to see if I finally have something that will carry over from one day to the next.

Keep us posted on your results.  I also tend to get ball position a little too far forward which is exacerbated by a weak effort to get off my back foot.  Bad combination.  Some days are just better than others.   :blush:

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I honestly think we waste a lot of time and money on stuff that could be resolved by focusing on the basics, you know what goes on from pre shot routine until the swing starts.  If you have a nice little routine, take a solid grip and get yourself into a proper set up it goes a long, long way to hitting the shot you selected in your minds eye when you pulled the club.

• Like 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

When I think of forward press for putting, obvious example is Phil, but something I read somewhere reminds me that if you forward press with the putting you are delofting it, since it only has 3-4 degrees of loft, forward press will make it 0-1 degree, which can cause problems with the way the ball rolls, so isn't it kind of imperative to add some loft with the putter if you are going to use a forward press, I think I remember seeing or hearing something that Phil's putter is like 5 or 6 degrees of loft because of the press.

Full swing forward press causes you to trap the ball and effectively deloft your clubs, it doesn't work for everyone come over the top with a trap draw and you just hooked the ball 60 yards, I think bubba is a good example of some who can play a lot of shaft lean creating the trap of the ball, think of the wedge in the playoff at Augusta.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind