Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Nick Faldo would disagree with you. He says at most a 9 iron. Anything more puts too much spin on the ball.

I tend to agree with him. Generally I bump and run with 8 iron or 4 hybrid.

I will bump wedges into the rough to kill them on downhill shots but that's not a true bump and run.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't know if u understand what I said because I specifically mention that how much spin I am getting on the greens I'm playing that day is a factor in choosing my club. Also for starters it's a personal preference in your game so there is no universal right or wrong answer. But if the greens I'm playing are really tight and firm so I'm not getting much spin a 50* or PW will become more appropriate. On a side note I hit some long chips that I call bump n runs because I keep them very low that I want to put a little spin on the ball so the roll doesn't get away from me too much. I tend to use it on chips with large slopes I have to go up but the pin is say 10ft from the crest of the slope.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

How'd I practice today? Well, I finally got my hitting mat paired up with my hitting net, got a bunch of x-out balls, got them all set up in the back yard and started a-whacking... Took my Pro's lessons to heart and did my best to morph my grip to a more "strong" type, then worked on a new take-away along with a new follow though, and generally did...well intermittent... I got a long way to go, but there is hope...maybe.

Started off the mat with PW, hit most fairly well. Moved to 9-I and did ok. Pulled out the 7-I and faired better but while hitting the 5-I, I definitely went south.

Grabbed the driver to gain some semblance of "normal" and cranked a few decent ones but with some reservations...

Decided to pull my trusty 3H and laced several good ones and followed that up with some positive shots with the 3W. Back to the driver and NO JOY. F-ng disaster. 

I got a lot of work to do, but the good news is that gripping with a more "strong" grip is feeling more and more comfortable, and I can certainly feel the extra power it provides vs. my "neutral" original grip. I also am working on a better wrist hinge and lag. When these all come together, my ball speed, accuracy and distance all seem to come together. More sessions are definitely in my future. I like having the flexibility to create my own range at home. I have great expectations it will be a positive  thing for me in the long run.

Weird...right Spies? I wish I had taken this little excursion more seriously back when I was 25-30 and not while pushing 50. I'd be better off, but honestly the journey is really fun with all of your help, and that wouldn't have been possible even 10-years ago.

Cheers and "Play Your Best" !!!!!!!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I don't know if u understand what I said because I specifically mention that how much spin I am getting on the greens I'm playing that day is a factor in choosing my club. Also for starters it's a personal preference in your game so there is no universal right or wrong answer. But if the greens I'm playing are really tight and firm so I'm not getting much spin a 50* or PW will become more appropriate. On a side note I hit some long chips that I call bump n runs because I keep them very low that I want to put a little spin on the ball so the roll doesn't get away from me too much. I tend to use it on chips with large slopes I have to go up but the pin is say 10ft from the crest of the slope.

That's great and a wonderful technique but it's also no longer a bump and run. It's a chip shot - different technique for a different circumstance.

Bump and runs are executed with as little spin as possible. In some places they can be executed from 100 yards out. (Not in Florida).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hit two buckets yesterday... Back got pretty stiff with about 20 balls to go. The long rides in the car have caught-up to me! Hip flexors are tight, low back is tight. Nothing hurts, praise the Lord, but definitely tight. Came home and “rolled” my back and hips for a bit, which helped immediately.

Hoping to play at least nine today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Went to the range today. Good to get out and work on something's from my lessons. Gotta have the swing nice and tight for my fitting in 2 weeks

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

went to an indoor facility to do a gapping test. had a groupon for 1 hour but ended up getting 2.  

about the same as last year... maybe a few extra yards, but around a 10-12 yard gap between each club.

I'm fine with that.  ;)

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Picked up a couple used hybrids and driver so hit the range to play with them. Planned on some chipping and putring but pretty steady rain kept me under cover. Id been playing decent golf them things went to hell. Really trying to find that groove and rhythm that had me playing well. Not sure I made any real progress. Tomorrow I will take just a couple short irons out and play with them. Going to Chambers Bay un a few weeks so I will start working on some pubch shots and bump and runs.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Picked up a couple used hybrids and driver so hit the range to play with them. Planned on some chipping and putring but pretty steady rain kept me under cover. Id been playing decent golf them things went to hell. Really trying to find that groove and rhythm that had me playing well. Not sure I made any real progress. Tomorrow I will take just a couple short irons out and play with them. Going to Chambers Bay un a few weeks so I will start working on some pubch shots and bump and runs.

I was planning on going to Chambers Bay with a buddy in April but found out that they are in the process of reseeding all of their greens; apparently they are changing to a new type of grass with hopes of attracting more premier events.  Anyway - my buddy called them and they said the greens are still "playable" - whatever that means.  Looked for some recent reviews and didn't find many but the ones I found they said that they were so-so; I guess there are also a couple temp greens too.

We decided to go to another course that isn't quite as pricey and save CB for when the grass grows in.  A lot of real nice courses in that area so I'm not too disappointed, although it would have been nice to play at a US Open site.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Last night after things settled down a bit after dinner, I worked on putting a bit. I'm trying something I've been hearing more and more about in reference to the putting stroke as a whole-that is the 1/3 to 2/3's principle.

My stroke has been 50/50 (50% back & 50% forward) and I'm not consistent at all with it. By only taking back by 1/3 and following through by 2/3's, I'm seeing a bit of light and it's promising. I'm thinking that with less of a backstroke, it's taking some self-introduced flaws away and the 2/3 forward stroke helps to project the ball toward the target area more crisply. I will continue with this method for a while to see if there are true results for me.

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

Last night after things settled down a bit after dinner, I worked on putting a bit. I'm trying something I've been hearing more and more about in reference to the putting stroke as a whole-that is the 1/3 to 2/3's principle.

My stroke has been 50/50 (50% back & 50% forward) and I'm not consistent at all with it. By only taking back by 1/3 and following through by 2/3's, I'm seeing a bit of light and it's promising. I'm thinking that with less of a backstroke, it's taking some self-introduced flaws away and the 2/3 forward stroke helps to project the ball toward the target area more crisply. I will continue with this method for a while to see if there are true results for me.

Are you adjusting backstroke length based on distance or same backstroke for all distances and changing speed?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Are you adjusting backstroke length based on distance or same backstroke for all distances and changing speed?

Great question! Same backstroke for all and changing speed. On my "putting brown" (living room carpet), I have about a max distance of around 10-ft to play in, so my variables are limited a bit. I generally roll from 3', 5' and then 9 or 10' when putzing around. I just started this little experiment so real-world feedback has not been gained yet.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm open to all.

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm open to all.

I vary stroke length with constant tempo. I don't worry about follow though, it just happens and in my case is significantly longer than my backstroke. With this approach you can use a metronome or internally make a tempo. I started by identifying points for different distances.

Hands Halfway to right foot = 5 feet

Hands Inside of right foot = 8feet

Hands Outside of right foot = 10 feet.

Figure out your marks and it starts to become a feel for distances. When you get to the course you can roll your baseline putts to see if the green is faster or slower and make the necessary adjustment.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I vary stroke length with constant tempo. I don't worry about follow though, it just happens and in my case is significantly longer than my backstroke. With this approach you can use a metronome or internally make a tempo. I started by identifying points for different distances.

Hands Halfway to right foot = 5 feet

Hands Inside of right foot = 8feet

Hands Outside of right foot = 10 feet.

Figure out your marks and it starts to become a feel for distances. When you get to the course you can roll your baseline putts to see if the green is faster or slower and make the necessary adjustment.

That's good stuff! Thank-you very much Sir! I'll try this out tonight and report back. Cheers!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

That's good stuff! Thank-you very much Sir! I'll try this out tonight and report back. Cheers!

You have to do what works for you. This is just how my putting instructor did things based on the decisions I made. Everything in putting is about choices and each choice has an impact on the stroke.

I was planning on going to Chambers Bay with a buddy in April but found out that they are in the process of reseeding all of their greens; apparently they are changing to a new type of grass with hopes of attracting more premier events. Anyway - my buddy called them and they said the greens are still "playable" - whatever that means. Looked for some recent reviews and didn't find many but the ones I found they said that they were so-so; I guess there are also a couple temp greens too.

We decided to go to another course that isn't quite as pricey and save CB for when the grass grows in. A lot of real nice courses in that area so I'm not too disappointed, although it would have been nice to play at a US Open site.

Playing April 8th. Have a date on the re-seeding?

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Hit the range instead of the course. Had to change u joints in the truck. Worked on grip, alignment, weight distribution, and follow through...the basics...Much better and got the swing back in order with the irons. Need to tweak with woods a bit but better also. Considering going back to standard grips from midsize with exra wrap. Struggling with grip and hanging on to the club at times. Hit a couple demos with standard grips to check things out and seriously going back as it was just more comfy.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Hit the range instead of the course. Had to change u joints in the truck. Worked on grip, alignment, weight distribution, and follow through...the basics...Much better and got the swing back in order with the irons. Need to tweak with woods a bit but better also. Considering going back to standard grips from midsize with exra wrap. Struggling with grip and hanging on to the club at times. Hit a couple demos with standard grips to check things out and seriously going back as it was just more comfy.

Hey there pulledabill. I'm struggling with my grip too, but with just one lesson and using the SKLZ grip trainer for a short time, I've managed to get it under control. Those aren't the only resources I've used either. Check out this fella on Top Speed Golf, Clay Ballard. He's one of my top go-to's  and you'll be surprised at how much you can get that grip under control-and fast! I've also posted a thread about grips issues just today. Check it out. the Spies will help you!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Hitting into my new backyard net again tonight was a much better experience. Applied my lessons, things I've absorbed from the "net" and just basically relaxed. Hit well throughout he bag...I love having the option to pound a bucket here at home.

After, I worked on putting with the advice given by Grandmaster Spy cnosil and did very well.  It worked for me straight away. All I have to do now is make it a consistent part of my game and I'm golden...Heh...easier said than done... I'll keep at it though in hopes of repeating "good" habits and losing the bad ones. Thanks GMC!!!!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Still limited to the basement putting mat and chipping net, however the weather is improving and hope to get outside to practice this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Worked on putting today.

10fters, straight putt, alignment stick at toe of putter, working on an inward path low takeaway and with a straight follow through.  

Also worked on zero tension in shoulders and arms.  

I felt it was pretty successful.  Need to keep working to have those feels on the course.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Turns out I'm a right hand dominant putter. Won't need that left arm for putting anyways.

Just be careful with what you are doing. By only using the right arm my guess is that you are taking the shoulders out of the stroke. That is fine, it may change the direction of the putters path a bit and just using the arms to control the stoke makes consistency a little tougher.

I putt left arm dominant and stopped using my shoulders which messed up my putting performance. I am now focusing on left side dominant but using the shoulders.

Just be careful with what you are doing. By only using the right arm my guess is that you are taking the shoulders out of the stroke. That is fine, it may change the direction of the putters path a bit and just using the arms to control the stoke makes consistency a little tougher.

I putt left arm dominant and stopped using my shoulders which messed up my putting performance. I am now focusing on left side dominant but using the shoulders.

My left arm works for the putting stroke. I don't have any movement restrictions. I think being in the sling for the first few days actually helped my rhythm. I take about a 5 grip with my right hand and a light 3 with my left. Get a good rock now. Much more consistent than my old way.

I had definitely thought about what you said though. That's why I'm not chipping one handed.

Also, Cnosil... I will be in Norfolk the last week of June. We should try to get together for a round. I'm planning on checking out HQ if they'll let me.

Keep me informed. As a warning I am terrible about coordinating things. people ask me to go play, which I am happy to do, but don't put me in charge of trying to set things up.

HQ would be welcoming just like they were for Golfspy Rob( the poster formerly known as CG2) Shoot an email to Sam when you get here and he can help setup your visit.

Keep me informed. As a warning I am terrible about coordinating things. people ask me to go play, which I am happy to do, but don't put me in charge of trying to set things up.

HQ would be welcoming just like they were for Golfspy Rob( the poster formerly known as CG2) Shoot an email to Sam when you get here and he can help setup your visit.

Where do you normally play? Newport News?

Where do you normally play? Newport News?

I generally play at cypress creek in Smithfield. But I play in Suffolk, Newport News, hampton, and Williamsburg fairly often.

Went to the range to undo the horrors of last Saturday's round. To give you and idea of what is killing my game I've spent 15 non work related hours taking people to the doctor or waiting with them this week. That's doesn't leave much time to play or practice.

At any rate it stunk more than last Saturday. My teacher was there giving a lesson and he approached me as I was leaving and said, “hang on a few minutes. I can't have one of my students walking off the range with that body language.”

One swing in front of him and here it comes, “Every good player gets in this habit from time to time....”

He really didn't have to say anything else , I'm dropping the club too inside and getting stuck. It will take a month of trying to swing over the top but I will get it back. It's a shame because for a while there I was hitting the ball better.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD