Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

My wife decided she wanted to play 9 yesterday so we found a local course that could fit us in. Played with two guys who were high handicappers but we didn't really care. The weather was fantastic, the game was meh, but I didn't care as I was out with my wife golfing... And then I went fishing 😁

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Spent time putting (really loving the basement putting green). Even though I have actual holes to putt into, I still regularly use my PuttOut. Focusing on hitting the perfect line and speed is great for practice.

Something I also enjoy: mixing training aids. Rolling "The Pill" into the perfect putt of the PuttOut is immensely satisfying.

20180414_173027.jpg

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

EVERYTHING! Golfed like a moron all day...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Spent time putting (really loving the basement putting green). Even though I have actual holes to putt into, I still regularly use my PuttOut. Focusing on hitting the perfect line and speed is great for practice.

Something I also enjoy: mixing training aids. Rolling "The Pill" into the perfect putt of the PuttOut is immensely satisfying.

attachicon.gif20180414_173027.jpg

I really love my PuttOut. I just keep it in the living room and use it while I'm waiting for my wife. I've used that thing for hours and I only had it for a few months.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

EVERYTHING! Golfed like a moron all day...

Is this a boast or a lamentation? :-)

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

IMG_1828.JPGi was working on my chipping from 30 yards out. Did 2 sets of 20, then went back 20 yards and repeated. It was fun to actually chip onto a green

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Hit some balls today in the warm indoor TrackMan facility center.According to my stats and video.My hands are always ahead at impact-my aoa-swing path-launch angles-smash factor are all very acceptable.Even had a complement from my pro.He told me my numbers and impact look is easily an 8 handicap or lower scores and look.Just not sure how I still hit some of the most miserable looking shots at times.The good ones are pretty solid.The bad are worse than beginner bad occasionally.Frustrating when the numbers and look are acceptable

Keep it in the short stuff

Had an unusually good .. and dare I say, "fun"?!?! .. range session. Hit 275 balls (one $20 card) over two+ hours; mostly wedges - a lot of wedges. Into a pretty stiff head-on breeze, too.

Took a lesson last week with a really nice guy whose resume includes being the regional Am champ (which is pretty big as we're in the NY Metro region) and a year on the Canadian pro tour. Probably the most productive lesson I've had to date, and, yes - I do plan on scheduling more with him.

We started with me telling him even though my swing and game have been improving and evolving, I still need to find "MY" swing. And also that I wanted to continue to sharpen up my short game. 

So we started off with 25, 50 and 75 yard wedge shots. He had me execute a few different types of shots at each target, with different wedges, and offered occasional encouragement and a small "bite size" piece of advice here and there ... ie. uncomplicated/non-technical ones that could be quickly and easily absorbed and worked on.

So the main thing I learned about my swing and was working on at the range was that I was not properly turning over / rotating the arms through the downswing and into the finish; that is, my left (lead) elbow was still pointing out/up after impact and not _down_. Not a chicken-wing, but still not properly rotated. Or-- the butt of the handle was not pointing down (along the target line) after impact. 

This was a total revelation to me, and that one point alone was well worth the price of the lesson!

And as it turns out that fault was a main reason for pulling a lot of shots left (as a righty). 

And now I'm awaiting delivery of a Tour Striker "Smart Ball" as recommended by the instructor.

A second major fault he worked on - and one that I am all too well aware of - is my tendency to hang back, on the back foot too long, and not push forward onto the front strongly enough.

The way he worked on this was so simple it qualifies as one of those "Ah HA!!!" slap-yourself-on-the-forehead moments -- he'd set up two alignment rods, one for the target line and one perpendicular. OK, simple enough, right? The perpendicular one is to help you align your body to the target line and setup the ball position, right?

Right, but........ Oh, it was sooo much more. He gave me another devastatingly simple instruction: "Make sure your right (trail) hip clears the orange line (ie. the perpendicular alignment rod) on your finish."

KA-BOOM, BAYBEE!!

(quote-unquote  ;) )

Just that one simple instruction on what to do with that one simple visual aid suddenly made that whole so-hard-before-this movement so clear to me! Eureka!!

So I put down an orange rod on the practice range mat and worked on my arm rotation / arm extension and finishing over the line. Wow!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Had an unusually good .. and dare I say, "fun"?!?! .. range session. Hit 275 balls (one $20 card) over two+ hours; mostly wedges - a lot of wedges. Into a pretty stiff head-on breeze, too.

Took a lesson last week with a really nice guy whose resume includes being the regional Am champ (which is pretty big as we're in the NY Metro region) and a year on the Canadian pro tour. Probably the most productive lesson I've had to date, and, yes - I do plan on scheduling more with him.

We started with me telling him even though my swing and game have been improving and evolving, I still need to find "MY" swing. And also that I wanted to continue to sharpen up my short game.

So we started off with 25, 50 and 75 yard wedge shots. He had me execute a few different types of shots at each target, with different wedges, and offered occasional encouragement and a small "bite size" piece of advice here and there ... ie. uncomplicated/non-technical ones that could be quickly and easily absorbed and worked on.

So the main thing I learned about my swing and was working on at the range was that I was not properly turning over / rotating the arms through the downswing and into the finish; that is, my left (lead) elbow was still pointing out/up after impact and not _down_. Not a chicken-wing, but still not properly rotated. Or-- the butt of the handle was not pointing down (along the target line) after impact.

This was a total revelation to me, and that one point alone was well worth the price of the lesson!

And as it turns out that fault was a main reason for pulling a lot of shots left (as a righty).

And now I'm awaiting delivery of a Tour Striker "Smart Ball" as recommended by the instructor.

A second major fault he worked on - and one that I am all too well aware of - is my tendency to hang back, on the back foot too long, and not push forward onto the front strongly enough.

The way he worked on this was so simple it qualifies as one of those "Ah HA!!!" slap-yourself-on-the-forehead moments -- he'd set up two alignment rods, one for the target line and one perpendicular. OK, simple enough, right? The perpendicular one is to help you align your body to the target line and setup the ball position, right?

Right, but........ Oh, it was sooo much more. He gave me another devastatingly simple instruction: "Make sure your right (trail) hip clears the orange line (ie. the perpendicular alignment rod) on your finish."

KA-BOOM, BAYBEE!!

(quote-unquote ;) )

Just that one simple instruction on what to do with that one simple visual aid suddenly made that whole so-hard-before-this movement so clear to me! Eureka!!

So I put down an orange rod on the practice range mat and worked on my arm rotation / arm extension and finishing over the line. Wow!

That's great! It's so rewarding when you find a pro that understands how to communicate in a way that you understand instantly.

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

That's great! It's so rewarding when you find a pro that understands how to communicate in a way that you understand instantly.

Yeah, thx! Really feel like I've taken a pretty large step forward

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Shoulder felt great today.So I went out and took some full speed swings.Was a real pleasure hitting a ball with no pain.And even more a pleasure hitting a ball not worrying about hitting a fat pull hook.All the info my teacher has taught me really showed today.So happy I took the plunge with a pro that taught me a swing made for me.One that I can handle and reproduce without hitting a million golf balls.Every ball I hit had a slight divot after the stroke.Cant wait to get the shoulder healed up and play some golf.

Keep it in the short stuff

KA-BOOM, BAYBEE!!

(quote-unquote ;) )

Glad you found an instructor that you clicked with and is working with your swing well!

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Glad you found an instructor that you clicked with and is working with your swing well!

MDGolfHacker

Thx!!! Mentioned above that I feel like I've taken a pretty big step forward. Gonna see him again soon and hopefully he can work some more magic and we can continue on this good path!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Really been working on my lag to generate more power and I'm definitely seeing some improvement in not just length but the trajectory as well.

I ordered Bobby Clampett's book “The Impact Zone” which hasn't arrived yet but looking forward to it.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Chipping for half an hour after work. Now resting up for the play!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Spent an hour yesterday, on an indoor sim, with just two wedges going at 25, 50 and 75 yard targets. The good thing about practicing indoors it seems, is that you can focus more on the "process" .. or technique .. as I was trying to reinforce the good stuff from my last lesson.

75 still has a lotta dispersion, 50 is generally ok for me, but 25 ... I was only using my 58° (most lofted wedge) for this ... for some reason when I get that club in my hands with a close-in target I get a little tense, and a little quick, and little too handsy, and a little too scoopy.... Anyone else ever have that problem? Anyone...?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Well yesterday I practiced 100-15 yard shots with my old beat up 56° wedge from a somewhat mushy dirt road. Feel is there, distance is there. Hitting them in the bottom 2 grooves dead center, I figure with grass (whenever that is) I'll be 2-4th groove and more spin than I know what to do with.

Just have to wait till May... at least.

Spent an hour yesterday, on an indoor sim, with just two wedges going at 25, 50 and 75 yard targets. The good thing about practicing indoors it seems, is that you can focus more on the "process" .. or technique .. as I was trying to reinforce the good stuff from my last lesson.

75 still has a lotta dispersion, 50 is generally ok for me, but 25 ... I was only using my 58° (most lofted wedge) for this ... for some reason when I get that club in my hands with a close-in target I get a little tense, and a little quick, and little too handsy, and a little too scoopy.... Anyone else ever have that problem? Anyone...?

For me, the shorter the shot the heavier the clubhead feels. You might be feeling like you have to manipulate the club more, therefore your timing gets a smidge off. If you are comfortable opening the face a little, you could try a slightly open stance and face, take a tiny bit bigger swing and see how that works. If you aren't then disregard.

I mentioned in the Tempo thread that I struggled with my swing today a bit.

I still put in some solid practice. I've gained a half club in distance beyond a doubt. My misses were consistent and predictable. (Get stuck inside). Many of said misses were playable.

My short game work, wedges, chipping and putter were very good. I adjusted to the Bayou green speed (much faster than the muni practice green by work) in one chip and a few putts. It was the same going the other way yesterday also.

That's a beautiful g accomplishment

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I practiced flop shots today and chip shots in my yard since I had issues last week when I golfed. Was hitting flop shots from 2 feet or so from my 4 foot fence. Only didn't clear it two times. Opened the blade wide up and did what I watched in the Phil the thrill videos I've been watching. For how wide I had the blade open I feel happy about where I was contacting the ball as pictured. 20180421_201802.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I practiced flop shots today and chip shots in my yard since I had issues last week when I golfed. Was hitting flop shots from 2 feet or so from my 4 foot fence. Only didn't clear it two times. Opened the blade wide up and did what I watched in the Phil the thrill videos I've been watching. For how wide I had the blade open I feel happy about where I was contacting the ball as pictured. attachicon.gif20180421_201802.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have you seen "Phil Mickelson's top 10 great escapes" video It includes one from a cart path and 2 from the grandstand/hospitality area - including one over the tent.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

About 700 56° wedge shots varying distance and height. Left to right and right to left will be the biggest thing to focus on. I can't fade the ball... not good. I play for that little cut. Good news is, I have the 65 yard super flop, cleared about a 75' pine tree. I could give Phil a run for his money with these... ok maybe not yet, but soon.

About 700 56° wedge shots varying distance and height. Left to right and right to left will be the biggest thing to focus on. I can't fade the ball... not good. I play for that little cut. Good news is, I have the 65 yard super flop, cleared about a 75' pine tree. I could give Phil a run for his money with these... ok maybe not yet, but soon.

Hard to shape a wedge; I generally don't even try.

I didn't hit 700 balls,  but I did hit about 150 chips and pitches after my round today.  Started making some solid contact.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hard to shape a wedge; I generally don't even try.

I didn't hit 700 balls, but I did hit about 150 chips and pitches after my round today. Started making some solid contact.

I usually can get a 3-5 yard draw and as big of fade/slice as I can imagine. Learned this from being in the dang trees a lot!

Hit a large bucket of balls. Worked on staying connected in the swing and good weight transfer to start the transition

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Arccos tells me the worst part of my game is approach shots, so I listened to it.

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 11.35.55 PM.png

Played four balls on a little six hole par 3 course today.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The grass section of my local range is now open, even with a sore back I wanted to try and get some time in. Once I loosened up it wasn't so bad. I just hit a small bucket but it felt good to hit off of grass.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game