What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Went to Costa Mesa country club to utilize their grass range which is much better than the last grass "range" I visited. Iron swing is becoming very repeatable and I'm liking it. Now, I'm looking to generate more power from it. 175 Max isn't bad with my 4i but obviously it all could be better. 

Putting and chipping was pretty solid today, slowed things down a bit and took my time.

Qi10 Max made a short appearance, 4 swings to be exact. All 4 were good but nothing special.

Key takeaway: it's getting there. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

Went and hit a bucket at the range and worked on the irons.   I have worked hard on the swing this year and getting my swing more shallow.  My miss has now changed and I'm working thru a few things but also need to go back and have my clubs lie checked.  Overall, it was a good session.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 7/23/2024 at 12:43 PM, Headhammer said:

I have a weird trend emerging in my practice I'd love some feedback on. I usually work up and down my bag on the range and lately when I start moving back down (3W to 5I) my first swing with the next lower club is perfectly flush & long, then I hit 3-4 thin ones then find the groove with that club. Then I move down to the 7I flush it, then 3-4 thin ones and then decent swings. Any ideas why that first swing is so flush then poor results?

Yeah I've seen that in myself but nfw I could try to explain why .. other than it's in our heads...

First one you're relaxed and swinging your swing .. ok .. next one you're trying to repeat that first nice result and.........

I try to keep reminding myself that...

• Practice is about the process
  • Playing is about the results

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric trolley.
Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or Vice Pro Air. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Day 188 (24 Jul 24)  - an easy session with the 58.  Focused on the short pitches and not trying to “help” the ball in the air, i.e. trying to scoop it up.  Kept the max shot length to about 30yds.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

A little range and putting green time today. Weakest part of my game .. at this moment 😄 .. is irons and approaches.

So spent most of my time with a PW and an old 6i just working on parallel to parallel / feet together slow and smooth swings .. trying to get the good pressure shift and good contact going. Some success...

Also brought out two driver shafts to test out - Kai Li Blue 55/R and Pro Force V2 HL 5F3 - for reference currently playing an Aldila Ascent Blue 40/A. The Kai Li Blue has a nice solid feel and mid launch & trajectory .. but the Pro Force felt smoother to me plus gave me the kick & launch I was looking for!

My gamer clubs are still in transit back from Nebraska (great trip!!) so need to put it up against the Aldila soon...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric trolley.
Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or Vice Pro Air. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Day 189 (25 Jul 24) - backyard work with 7i and hard foam balls - focused on reading target line to target point (about 70 yds out - the neighbor’s yard).  Was bit of a push the ball day, but a very consistent swing as all the shots finished within a 10yd radius.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Today was a full day of practice. I’ve noticed that my shots are starting to hook and that my right shoulder is coming around “across” rather than “down”  So I worked on tucking in my right elbow during the downswing. Worked on this across the bag. When it works it’s great but it will just take patience and reps. 

Also being motivated by @RickyBobby_PR on another thread I worked on pitch shots from 25 yards. Yep … still don’t like them and they don’t like me. Haha. Honestly though, I’m sure I’m just screwing up my setup or something. Just need to figure it out.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

16 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

So I worked on tucking in my right elbow during the downswing. Worked on this across the bag. When it works it’s great but it will just take patience and reps. 

Depending on how you are doing this is might hurt you more than help you.

20 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

Yep … still don’t like them and they don’t like me. Haha. Honestly though, I’m sure I’m just screwing up my setup or something. Just need to figure it out.

What is your setup for these?

Do you have video of your swing and also your 25 yard pitches?

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Depending on how you are doing this is might hurt you more than help you.

What is your setup for these?

Do you have video of your swing and also your 25 yard pitches?

I hear you. I’ve got a lesson with a teaching pro set for next couple of Saturdays. Never too shy to seek out professional advice. Haha 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Day 190 (26 Jul 24) - Played 18 today (in the rain for most of the round).  Was a fun day, as rain goes, to work on very different course conditions - course was totally soaked, cart path only (no exceptions per the Supt), so zero ball roll out, soaked slow greens.  How did it play out?  Quite consistent as I shot 84 (43 front, 41 back).  A day of focused wedge play to darts on the green as I did not have to worry about excess roll.  While it was a card full of bogies (11 total), a lone double that was countered by a hole out birdie on the par 3 12th hole.  Solid, solid putting - those darts gave me quite a few one putts (8 total) for 26 putts total.  

Went down the range this morning to continue to work on my ‘new feel’ that I have for my swing which is snapping my left hip on the downswing to clear my hips for the hands to come through. Thought I’d nailed it in my round last week so thought I’d hit the range to cement this feel. 

However, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t quite recreate it and everything apart from the few ended up left of my target by way of a draw or a slight pull. Hmph. Felt like an awful session and a waste of time. Am playing tomorrow so hoping it resets itself back out on the course

17 handicapper, here to have fun

I just added 3 on-line articles to my piece Step by step guide to cross handed putting.  I work on it almost every day, and did some research on line.  Thegolfacademy.org, theleftrough.com, and coachup.com  had articles within the last 7 years.  One cited a stat that 1/3 of TOUR wins in 2017 were cross handed.  Mine is in Member community,  Lessons fitness drills .

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

Day 191 (27 Jul 24) - Grandson wanted to hit a few wedge shots off the divot board.  my rule  - foam balls only as he can really connect when he wants.  Afterwards he wanted to “field” foam ball shots with his ball glove.  Overall a nice break in the practice  drills. 

Practiced chipping in the yard with my PW, GW and SW. My chipping motion has been mediocre in my last two rounds, so I spent time today on setup, motion and tempo of the swing and making good contact. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex 

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping Anser 4H (23*) - TFC 800H regular flex

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-GW - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind 56* - Recoil 80 F3 shaft, ChipR - Alta CB regular flex shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB  

Other: Vice Pro or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

2 hr session today. Range session with scoring clubs focusing on lesson feels. Some decent shots, some not so much which happens on new feels. Ended with some driver shots. 

Putting session with 4 balls at each  ladder: 3’, 6’, 9’ and 12’. Did that 2 times. Then worked on lag putting. Great session here. 

Ended with pitching area practice with 58, 54 and GW to different greens and some bunker shots. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

About 80 balls at the range this afternoon with the Garmin R10 hooked up, working my way through the bag. It went haywire in midsession and I missed a few shots with the big dog. But once I got it dialed back in, I got some good numbers which were encouraging. Nine of the 19 shots with the driver registered at over 200 yards with a max carry of 190 and a max total of 219. Launch angles were somewhat better, some of my usual bullets but 10 of the 19 were double digits. And three of the shots registered clubhead speed of better than 90, including a 97 (I'm not sure I believe that, but that's what it said). The 97 swing went 209. It's nice to have my Rypstick/FFG work actually paying off when I'm hitting real balls. And I did have some really solid contact, with smash factors up to 1.58.

The 219 shot was 82 mph CHS, 1.58 smash, 1960 backspin, draw spin of 353, angle of attack of 5.5 and launch angle of 8.3. So I feel with a little higher launch angle and a little more CHS, I could have really pumped one out there. The 97 mph swing was only 1.33 smash.

Trackman says a bogey golfer like me averages about 1.43 smash. Only five of my drives today were less than that.

The 90+ mph swings came toward the end when I was making sure I made a full shoulder turn instead of cutting off my backswing a bit. Something to consider for future sessions.

My best smash factor, though, wasn't with the big dog. It was with the 7 wood, at 1.64. And I had a smash of 1.54 with the 3-wood that went out 198, which goes along with the last 3w I hit in Scotland that hit the green on a 200-yard par 3.

Are these numbers accurate? Who knows? But they do correspond with what I saw on the course 15 days ago in Scotland.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

Day 192 (28 Jul 24) - Divot board, 6i, hard foam balls - worked smoothing swing tempo.  Used the phrase “now - is - the - time” to work on getting a 3:1 feel backswing to downswing with “time” being the word at impact and “the” being the top of the backswing. 

Edited by Willie T

More chipping practice today. As I said yesterday, my short game has been weak the past few rounds, so I'm working on a repeating chipping motion with SW, GW and PW. Hoping to get around a nearby putting green later this week for more work. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex 

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping Anser 4H (23*) - TFC 800H regular flex

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-GW - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind 56* - Recoil 80 F3 shaft, ChipR - Alta CB regular flex shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB  

Other: Vice Pro or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Been doing a whole lot of practice with putting and chipping indoors. It has rained every day for the last couple weeks and the courses have been soaked. Can't wait to get on the course again!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: Cobra RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5°
Fairway: Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5°
Utility: Callaway Apex UW 19°
4 Hybrid: Cobra KING LTDx 21°
Irons: New Level 480-TC (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)
Wedges: Edison Golf 2.0 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter: L.A.B. Golf DF3 34"/67°
Ball: Maxfli Tour (Thanks to MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

Two hour range session, just 5 wood, long hybrid, and driver.  Best ever.  I Continue to see benefits of TPI trained phys therapy and exercise.  Hitting the long clubs like never before.  And thanks to a fellow MGS member here in San Diego, am probably playing famous Torrey Pines South in a few days, home of PGA TOUR and US Opens. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

I'm lucky to have a SkyTrak in the garage. I don't have a lot of free time for the foreseeable future, so my practice is indoor range sessions. I'm mainly working on swing path, but I'm also trying to get my hands to drop into the slot on wedges and irons. It feels strange and different, but like melted butter when I do it properly. 

II'mslso working on adding loft to my driver. I'm trying a new shaft and working on swinging up on the downswing. Working on getting my feet more involved. 

Okish golfer

Hit the range today, worked through irons mostly which was pretty good today. Comfortability is giving me the ability to try and swing faster. Qi10 Max was actually really good today. Changed my stance a bit and it helped a lot. No wedge practice today, they were working on that area. Putting was good, working on trying to turn my lag putts into makes. It should help me stop leaving them so short. All in all a solid morning (except the Fiancé went and had McDonalds breakfast without me!)

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

Day 193 (29 Jul 24) - Easy swings with mid-irons and hard foam balls, focusing on distance control.  Swing has been out of sync last couple of practice sessions - part of it may be the body going in prevent defense mode as I have some soreness in the right knee along with the generally sore left foot. 

Sometimes I absolutely hate the conundrum that is golf. I've complained many times in the past that I'm logical by nature, but completely a feel person when it comes to sports. The less I think about things out on the course, the better off I tend to be. Went to the range to get some outdoor air and try to distract myself from things and basically just went in with nothing even remotely close to a golf thought in my head. Probably the most consistent I've hit a golf ball in quite a while. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what I was doing or how it happened, so good luck to me trying to recreate that. The worst thing I could have done to adhere to the the whole concept of making your practice count, but honestly, this wasn't about working on anything in particular. This was just about getting up and moving around and trying to get out of my own head. Finished up hitting shots inside 40 yards in the short game area with the wedges and saw more spin than I remember getting so something must have been different today.

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

I spent a decent amount of time on the practice green this morning. Every chance I get I do these two drills...

The two tee drill-this always seems to help me keep my putter face square and create consistent contact. I usually find the straightest putt possible from 4-5' on the practice green, set my two tees as tight to the heel/toe of the putter as possible and perpendicular to my line, and hit putt after putt. It always amazes me how efficient my putting is when I'm getting a good, square stroke on the ball.

Putt to the fringe drill-I usually put a club or putter cover a foot or so off the green on the fringe to create a target area. The goal is to roll the ball as close to the fringe as possible. I usually start at 10 feet and move back as far as I can on the practice green. This takes away the focusing of making the putt in the cup and just concentrating on speed control.

Adam Carter

Driver: Ping G425 10.5 deg Ventus VeloCore+ Black 6 X

3wood: Ping G425 14.5 deg Rogue White MSI 130 X

Hybrid/Utility: Ping G430 19 deg Tensei Orange 80 X—Ping iCrossover 4 iron 22.5 deg Tour 2.0 X

Irons: 2018 Titleist AP2 5-PW AMT Tour White

Wedges: Vokey SM 9 50-54-58

Putter: Odyssey TriForce 1 @ 35” or Scotty Del Mar @ 34”

Spent some time on the range working on driver.  Yes, the mini has been working great for me and has a firm spot in the bag, it doesn't mean I'm giving up on driver. 

I decided to tee the ball way lower and just above the height of what I do for the mini and was hitting the sweet spot just about every time. Now the ball flight wasn't always as high as I wanted it but it was better.  I was also finding that my miss was down to 1 instead of the 2 it has been. 

The work continues. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter