jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Finally was able to get to the driving range to start working on lowering my awful Arccos handicaps in Driving and Approach.

Focused on strike and making sure I was going through my complete pre-shot routine every time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Was going to the range this morning and turned my car around and went to the par 3 course for a quick 9 instead.

Only played 1 ball a hole (normally I will play multiple balls) but then chipped or pitched a bit after each hole was finished.

Great practice - hit 7/9 greens (I don’t use a tee, I just drop a ball and hit it) - was 1 over - while I hit my irons well I never got one inside of 10 feet - I was 12 to 33 ft on my greens hit - also these greens are small and many are tricky - my up and down took some imagination and execution.

But it got better - I had wondered why a family did pay me for a funeral 2 months ago - turns out they made a donation to a fund that we had set up while Penny was sick so I dropped by to pixie the check up and there was free punch from Panera Bread for teacher appreciation week. And it gets better - stopped at the liquor store on the way home and one of the owner’s sales reps was there having him try some scotches - he looked at me and said, “This is one of my scotch guys, let’s see what he thinks of these.” :)

Jackpot

• Like 4

I've been taking my daily swings (25) every night trying to get that 'water over the shoulder' feel that I worked on with Brian Mogg last month. So tonight at the range I continued to work on ingraining that feel with pretty good results. I was seeing consistent ball flight with all my clubs so I was pleased with that, and I'm hoping it translates to good things when I play on Sunday. 

• Like 3

Been practicing in the garage a bunch, mostly wedges. We had a rare nice day recently and I decided to hit the range to watch actual ball flights.

Hit a few wedges (poorly), a few irons (nicely), a few 4Ws (ok) and then picked up the driver. This has not been my favorite club .. since I started playing....

So tried something different: gripped down halfway and took about a half length swing at about half speed and focused on simply making good contact while continuing to move _through_ the ball. Felt a little awkward at first but after a few I started watching the ball fly downrange. No, not far but still further than I expected.

Alternated that with a few almost full speed swings but still gripping halfway down, then gripping normally but swinging about half speed. 

Which was great because now I've directly and unequivocably proved to myself that making solid contact is the most important thing.

And it worked! Played in a charity outing the following day and started hitting some really solid .. and for me, long .. drives!

On hour number three tonight of rolling putts with the arm lock. I am going to get comfortable with this if it breaks me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

On hour number three tonight of rolling putts with the arm lock. I am going to get comfortable with this if it breaks me.

You will. It just takes some time. 

You will. It just takes some time. 

Well I have to get it soon. It is going in the bag for my seven rounds of golf over the next five days.

• Like 2

Wondering if you don’t have the fit quite right. Good luck!

Today I worked on a swing change, adjusting my hand path through the backswing. I hit 200 balls at the range which I do 3 times a week, to try and make the change through repetition and video analysis. 

Once the change feels comfortable (normally after 3000+ reps) I will go back to shot shaping and trajectory control and test my accuracy/dispersion on a GC2.

I work on short game at the weekend and have just installed an artificial putting green in the back garden which will help 🙂

• Like 1

Went to Range and hit a bucket with 8 iron and 3/4 swing.
Shoulder felt pretty good, no pain or discomfort. Only a bit of soreness from other muscles that have been dormant for last 5+ months.

• Like 4

Wondering if you don’t have the fit quite right. Good luck!

Fit is fine, I was actually measured and fit for the putter. Trying to putt with a left dominant stroke is taking some getting used to. Rolled a few hundred more putts last night and it is getting there.

• Like 2

Went against all common sense and to the range I went. Warmed up with a dozen soft 8 irons.

Then replayed my round from Tuesday. I have a new tactic for the next round. The course is short enough that I really only need to hit driver on the Par 5’s, and even those I could hit 3 iron off the tee and still get home in regulation.

Was working on my Woodland stinger, and I think that will be my go to tee shot unless there is a forced carry from now on. They land in the 220+ range and roll and roll and roll.

I do need to get a lower launching shaft though, I could take the ears off a field mouse with a little less launch.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For the last three range sessions, I have used a top tracker to get a better sense of range, loft and ability to stay close to target for all of my clubs.  Today was my hybrids 3h, 4h, 5h, and my 7i/w which I treat more like an hybrid than anything else.

Results were not too much different from three months ago when I did the same run-through. 

That is except for accuracy towards target.  With all of my clubs, the drift in any direction was usually defined as a draw about 3 - 6' off-line.  Very few pushes or hooks.  

In the time since the last top tracker every club action, I have learned a consistency of all the pre-swing actions.  Today ended being a bit of conformation of what I am seeing on the courses.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1

Concentrated hard on impact and where I was making contact with the ball.  Pictured a nail in the golf ball to try to hammer it in and went back and forth between a draw (inside of ball) and a fade (nail on outside).  I found this to really help me stop thinking about where my positions were within the swing and I really hit the ball solid.  

image.png.abe46334d5bdb5b553cb6007543b94da.png

• Like 4

After playing about 12 holes with my head full of every swing thought imaginable (partly due to recent lessons and bl**dy Youtube) I reverted back to get the basic set up fundamentals right, then swing at the damn ball lol

I even ditched the gps watch after 12 as it put more equations in my head.

I now used, look at the distance, factor in elevation and wind, then hit what you think was right! it was! I was pin high on or just off the green on the remaining holes, strikes were pure and it felt FUN again. +1 for the last 6 holes and enjoyed them more than the first 12 when I was concentrating on hip turn, leg separation, left heel up on backswing, right heel up on downswing blah blah blah lol

lets see if it lasts😏😋

• Like 2

IMG_1823.JPG

Hour of long game yesterday, short game today. After an assortment of trap shots randomly dropped balls around the green and alternated jokes to pitch or chip too - I skipped this area though so if I hit one 20 yards over the green by a pond I will not have practiced that shot. :)

• Like 3

Great day at the range today. We’ve been granted a reprieve from the rain and I took full advantage. Today was an emphasis on keeping my right elbow beneath my left forearm on the downswing. It may sound odd without a video but when I pull downward as I rotate, the club gets more vertical than I like. I then have to flip my hands in order to catch up with my body rotating.

It’s hard work trying to feel that one plane swing.

IMG_5739.thumb.JPG.829a697d243c49e6677a1c06be6e21d3.JPG

IMG_5740.thumb.JPG.2a223c2eb7a6de7d79bbf89fe9a9ae7c.JPG

• Like 5

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.030b237f91b201dad409f8b19236c438.JPG

Hour of long game yesterday, short game today. After an assortment of trap shots randomly dropped balls around the green and alternated jokes to pitch or chip too - I skipped this area though so if I hit one 20 yards over the green by a pond I will not have practiced that shot. :)

Those “pesky” gators on the move right now .

• Like 1

Hit the range with my 13 year old, then the chipping and putting greens for some contests with each other. This was my first time hitting off grass this season so... yeah. I’ve had better range sessions.

He’s wearing a pair of my shoes since he outgrew his We’ll be hitting Dicks tomorrow before his first PGA Jr practice for a new pair. He also outgrew his putter so he snagged my Odyssey out of my backup bag. IMG_4994.jpg

• Like 5