jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Was swinging beautifully this afternoon after the Masters. Here’s a sample.

IMG_1724.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

First off, let me say that I have failed in not providing any pictures with this post.

I've really been struggling with the Driver lately, IF I keep it in the fairway, it's usually very short...like I should've hit a 4-iron short. So, today I headed out to the range at lunch just to work strictly on the Driver. I started out with my usual slices or short fades that would've been in play, but far from the green. I sprayed the face and most of my contact was heal side of center, only 1 in the dead center.

Then, I saw the guy behind me swing and it clicked, he stayed down and thru the ball. I believe this is what Clay Ballard calls the "Straight Line Release." So, (now this is gonna sound odd, and I don't recommend it for everyone) I picked a spot about 1 foot in front of my ball, and slightly right of it and I stayed focused on that spot thru my swing...results were fantastic!!! I was bombing it and had a very nice grouping in the center of the face. I don't know about trusting this method in tournament play, but I'll keep working on it at the range.

Edited by M. Parsons
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I picked a spot about 1 foot in front of my ball, and slightly right of it and I stayed focused on that spot thru my swing...results were fantastic!!!

Sounds like .. and only guessing! .. that you are now "covering" the ball, or keeping your chest facing down towards it through impact ... ie. not lifting up early (which, of course, is one my big problems...). Keep practicing!!! 👍
(and if you can - get a pro to review your swing)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, revkev said:

Was swinging beautifully this afternoon after the Masters. Here’s a sample.

IMG_1724.JPG

if that was a 6 iron you need to get on the tour😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Sounds like .. and only guessing! .. that you are now "covering" the ball, or keeping your chest facing down towards it through impact ... ie. not lifting up early (which, of course, is one my big problems...). Keep practicing!!! 👍
(and if you can - get a pro to review your swing)

Thanks for the tips. I do plan to get some video next time.

• Like 1

I’ve been working on my 35-50 yard shots with my PW. I can control the trajectory and distance better than with a 52 or 56. Might be my new go to when I don’t need the ball to stop on a dime.

IMG_5314.JPG

Yes... that is still snow from 20 minutes ago...

Drive by the course... still closed with snow everywhere. ☹️

• Like 4

Thanks for the tips. I do plan to get some video next time.

I wasn't able to get video because the wind kept blowing over my setup, but here are some pictures of the spot I'm focusing on while swinging my Driver.
IMG_3047.JPG
I focus on that white tee about a foot ahead of my ball, during the entire swing.
Below is a picture of my contact after one strike.
IMG_3048.JPG
Here is a picture of the grouping after 6 hits
IMG_3049.JPG

• Like 6

Went to the range this morning with the vintage bag and worked through it from PW to driver. No short game practice as the greens are all recently punched.

Went home, did all the yard work and thought “what the hell” and went back to the range with the modern bag for another hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

After some spring cleaning, planting, fertilizing around the putting green, I made about 30 chips and about 100 putts.

It, along with I, need more work.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

After some spring cleaning, planting, fertilizing around the putting green, I made about 30 chips and about 100 putts.

It, along with I, need more work. emoji4.png

Got pics anywhere of your putting green?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I wasn't able to get video because the wind kept blowing over my setup, but here are some pictures of the spot I'm focusing on while swinging my Driver.
IMG_3047.JPG
I focus on that white tee about a foot ahead of my ball, during the entire swing.
Below is a picture of my contact after one strike.
IMG_3048.JPG
Here is a picture of the grouping after 6 hits
IMG_3049.JPG

Wow that greats consistent contact - you must be seeing nice distance  numbers. 

• Like 1

Tiger winning The Masters has really inspired me again. New lease on golf. Today I made myself work on trajectory and shape. Working a small draw and fade at the beach. Kind a of pain to play off the sand today, really soft. But it makes you have good contact. Need the snow to melt so I can go work on the stinger at the range....

Man I love this game.

• Like 3

With my knee issue worsening, I went out with my regular Wednesday group, but didn't participate in the game.  I didn't play every hole (cart path only and fairways being pretty soggy), but focused on GIR from various distances, generally just dropping somewhere near the cart path or occassionally driving depending on the hole.  Also worked on using the Bettinardi ArmLock putter.  Sadly, the greens were much slower than normal and I struggled with distance control.

Hit the driver pretty well.  Chipping sucked. Putting sucked.  Iron play was decent.

• Like 2

Went to the practice green after work to chip and putt.  Concentrated on around the world drill from 3 - 5 ft with putting and the ladder drill.  Also tried to get a feel for how far I need to take the putter back to consistently putt 30 or 40 ft.  Lastly really get my ball started on my intended line.  If I misread a putt, that's one thing, but many times during my last couple rounds, I found myself pulling or pushing putts.

• Like 3

Went to the range late afternoon yesterday to work on playing the ball slighty further back in my stance for more crisp contact, been hitting a little turf before ball lately.

The range was packed and I hit for about 20 minutes, going up through the bag until I reached my driver. First swing I absolutely crushed and I hear “that was a beauty, an old one too”. I looked over and the gentleman in the stall next to me was commenting on my M09 persimmon driver. I happened to take my full classic bag yesterday and we proceeded to talk about my woods and my irons, and were soon joined in the conversation by the gentleman in the the stall next to me on the other side.

Well, 45 minutes passed talking golf, life, and everything else. So instead of working on my ballstriking I ended up making two new acquaintances, which is great. It’s amazing what great conversation starters the old clubs are. I’ve had so many guys come up to me at the range when they see and hear the persimmon woods. Lots of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

On 4/17/2019 at 6:16 AM, tony@CIC said:

Wow that greats consistent contact - you must be seeing nice distance  numbers. 

Thank you, and yes very much improved distance, and now my hope is that the iron play stays consistent. It usually always happens to me that once I correct one part of my game, the part that was good goes to crap.

• Sad 1

Snuck out on the range.... 🤫

Got the irons working. Got the pull fade down pat. Jason Day height 3 iron fades. The push draw needs work. Over all I’ll give the irons 90% grade.

Wedges I must be getting a little hands cause they are launching higher than I’d like. 75%

Woods.... I’d rather not talk about. 5% or less. I hate the driver, and 3 wood. Always have.

• Like 3

Short putts. I’m really loving the idea of the putter shaft acting as an extension of my forearms. It has created a better large muscle movement in my stroke and has relieved the tension in my hands.

Today was short putts for speed rather than target. The goal was to create a repeatable stroke based upon that distance so I can focus on the line while trusting the speed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Back to “chipping & putting” seriously since my shoulder surgery.
Chipping is inconsistent but the putting is coming into form.
Hope can put it all together in a few weeks when Doc lets me loose.

• Like 4

About all I can really do until this knee gets taken care of is to practice putting....so, using an indoor mat, that's what I'm doing.  Getting a lot better with the 5-6 foot range using the arm lock putter.  Figuring it out!

• Like 4