GolfSpy MPR

The Rhein Gibson headcover incident

Sadly, so many people blame a team, a player, etc. on a last shot, last play, or here, the last hole. It is the player's fault, and only the player's fault for having finished second. Had he made a few more putts, hit a couple more greens, even hit a few more fairways, this happening on the final hole would not have mattered.

As a coach, I used to remind my teams had we given up one or two fewer offense rebounds, played defense and shut them down on a few more possessions , we would not have lost a game on the last second shot. Same applies here. Don't blame the caddie for the $12,000 loss, blame yourself for not having taken care of YOUR business.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I've never been a caddie before and don't know anyone who has.  They must have some fantastic stories about who is great to work for and who is a total a-hole.  Maybe there's a good book or something...although, unless they're retired they probably don't want to go public to ensure their job security.  We've seen some high profile firings lately.

Has anyone been a caddie and experienced anything like this? 

Not necessarily a PGA tour caddie but just a caddie in general.

• Like 1

Sadly, so many people blame a team, a player, etc. on a last shot, last play, or here, the last hole. It is the player's fault, and only the player's fault for having finished second. Had he made a few more putts, hit a couple more greens, even hit a few more fairways, this happening on the final hole would not have mattered.

As a coach, I used to remind my teams had we given up one or two fewer offense rebounds, played defense and shut them down on a few more possessions , we would not have lost a game on the last second shot. Same applies here. Don't blame the caddie for the $12,000 loss, blame yourself for not having taken care of YOUR business.

Unfortunately, we're raising a generation of kids who have never learned to deal with adversity.  Athletics as a whole have been a teaching tool to that extent for generations.  Sadly, now we give everyone a participation trophy and never keep score. 

• Like 7

Perhaps we should send Mr. Gibson a link to our 'frustrated' thread. Throwing anything on the pro or amateur circuit is just poor sportsmanship.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

The guy is a punk. Who in the hell put the ball in the hazard. Was that dumb? Yes it was. But you don't treat your caddie like that. He's an employee. Just a thought

• Like 2

I was watching this last night and remember considering what I would do if I were Gibson.

Making an assumption that to that point the caddy had been performing his duties well enough that summary dismissal was inappropriate or just bad form (none of us know this that I'm aware), it seems to me that the player has to reward the good and penalize the bad. If I were Gibson I'd have fined the caddy after the round. I don't know if players do this or not, but it seems like a reasonable practice to me. I understand bandleaders would do this routinely.

Expensive mistake. Gibson gets fined with less prize money by default. The caddy should feel the bite for his mistake.

Has anyone been a caddie and experienced anything like this? 

Not necessarily a PGA tour caddie but just a caddie in general.

I have had the pleasure of caddying for some pretty talented juniors on occasion.  All before I had kids of my own so, nothing recent.  I don't have any sensational stories but one I think many will find interesting.

I caddied for a local junior in a US Junior Am qualifier several years ago.  Actually, the same kid I mentioned in my first post of this thread.  My player was paired with Peter Uihlein for the opening round.  There would only be one transfer spot due to the small turnout for this particular qualifier.  My player torched the Cobb Course at Glade Springs in West Virginia with an opening round 63.  Uihlein was in solo second, 10 shots behind in a 36 hole qualifier.  We felt good about our situation.

Uihlein came back with an impressive 65 while my player forgot he had ever played the game of golf and limped home with a 94.  Uihlein was polite, gracious and exceptionally well mannered the entirety of round one, when it looked as if he may not qualify as the #1 ranked junior in the world.  He was equally polite, gracious and supportive in round two when it was obvious, my player wasn't handling the pressure very well.  I gained a lot of respect for not only Peter Uihlein that day but his father as well.  

• Like 8

I was watching this last night and remember considering what I would do if I were Gibson.

Making an assumption that to that point the caddy had been performing his duties well enough that summary dismissal was inappropriate or just bad form (none of us know this that I'm aware), it seems to me that the player has to reward the good and penalize the bad. If I were Gibson I'd have fined the caddy after the round. I don't know if players do this or not, but it seems like a reasonable practice to me. I understand bandleaders would do this routinely.

Expensive mistake. Gibson gets fined with less prize money by default. The caddy should feel the bite for his mistake.

Aren't caddies paid a percentage of the winnings? If so he got penalized as well.

Aren't caddies paid a percentage of the winnings? If so he got penalized as well.

That's my understanding, but there can be scenarios in which a caddy costs a player a few strokes which doesn't directly affect the prize money.

It wasn't an attractive scene. I watched the group shake hands after the hole concluded and I didn't see his caddy and I remember thinking, “I bet he fired him on the spot like in Tin Cup”.

Just got around to watching the video the caddy made in defense. Pretty solid and I agree with his ruling. Not a penalty, IMO.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just saw the video. Guy disrespects me like that we are throwing down on the course, I don't care what hole we're on. What a punk move.

• Like 4

Just saw the video. Guy disrespects me like that we are throwing down on the course, I don't care what hole we're on. What a punk move

Now that would've bumped up the ratings!  :D

Yea I thought throwing the head cover at his caddy was crude rude and socially unacceptable.  I also thought the rule should have never been applied in the first place and I'm a firm believer 75 percent of them are crap calls.  Give the guy a penalty for an unplayable lie and not for his caddy picking up his ball after the fact.   :angry:

• Like 3

Now that would've bumped up the ratings! :D

Yea I thought throwing the head cover at his caddy was crude rude and socially unacceptable. I also thought the rule should have never been applied in the first place and I'm a firm believer 75 percent of them are crap calls. Give the guy a penalty for an unplayable lie and not for his caddy picking up his ball after the fact. :angry:

I think he got two total, right? One for the hazard, one for the ruling?

I think he got two total, right? One for the hazard, one for the ruling?

That was my conclusion and one too many.

• Like 1

Have you guys seen this?

http://golfweek.com/2018/01/24/web-com-tour-player-throws-headcover-at-caddie-over-costly-and-mysterious-penalty/

Quick summary:

• Web.com player in the hunt for a tournament win, hooks ball into hazard on the last hole.
  • Caddie picks up ball. Rules official assesses a stroke penalty because the caddie got the ball without explicit authorization from the player.
  • Gibson drops and hits, nearly holes out. Grabs putter out of the bag, pulls headcover, and flings the headcover at the caddie. Apparently at the same time, fires the caddie.
  • Gibson finishes 3rd instead of T-2, costing him about $12,000.
  • Caddie posts summary of the event on YouTube, including his argument that the penalty stroke should not have been assessed.
My thoughts: first, events like this are always interesting to learn more obscure rules. It looks like the caddie is correct: there should not have been a penalty here. Provision is made in the decisions of golf for circumstances in which a drop is obvious that a caddie can pick the ball up without penalty.

Second, Gibson comes out looking really bad. His anger is understandable, but any circumstance in which a person treats a subordinate (caddie, waitstaff, etc.) in a demeaning manner is a telling revelation of that person's character. Fire the guy: fine, that makes sense. But throwing things at him on the course? Childish and way over the line.

agree 100%

Bags

• Like 1

It doesn't matter who got the rules wrong (caddie, player or official).

You just don't treat someone like that because of a mistake, especially someone working for you.

If your cleaning staff breaks a dish from your kitchen, do you throw a pot at her?

If your gardener kills a plant by mistake, do you run him over with the lawn mower?

You get the drill...

Some gentleman's game this is... pfff...

• Like 5

"Contrary to what Brandon said, I did not find the ball," Duncan said. "(Gibson) was kind of looking in the high grass or whatever, and I turned around and said to Rhein that we had found the ball. And the caddie had actually sort of gotten behind me, and Rhein's now walking toward me, and I turn around and that's when (Davis) picked the ball up.

"And before I can even say a word, now Rhein goes, 'Well, I guess I can't play it now."

This is the direct quote from Jim Duncan, the rules official who imposed the penalty.  Pretty cut and dry.  The additional stroke penalty was justified and accurately applied by Mr. Duncan!

• Like 3

Pretty embarrassing incident all the way around. Gibson was at OC my freshman and sophomore year of college. Fiery guy for sure but didn't expect something like this... very disappointing.

Kind of a weird event all together with the 5 different stories out there.

• Like 1

Total crap move by Gibson.

Even if it truly was the caddies fault there were how many other strokes he took that weren't perfect? The caddie didnt help but he certainly isnt at full blame for 2n to 3rd drop. 

• Like 2