Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tony Romo's Golf "Career"

STUDque

IMG_7386.JPG

Maybe I'm a jaded Redskins fan, but I experience a serious eye roll every time ESPN trots out Tony Romo as a legitimate contender on the PGA Tour.

I'll admit that he's good.....for an amateur. But his game just lacks any semblance of polish he'd need to contend in real life tour events. Sure, it's interesting to see someone we know for one thing try to succeed at something else, but come on people! Let's get some perspective on what it really takes to compete on tour. This reminds me of Tebow switching to baseball.

For the latest, here you go with his early results at PuntaCana. Anybody pick him up in your fantasy league?

Tony Romo opens with 77 in PGA Tour event on Dominican Republic

PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic -- Tony Romo fell apart on the back nine and made his PGA Tour debut with a 5-over 77 in the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship.

The former Dallas Cowboys quarterback shot even par on the front nine before a bad stretch of three bogeys and a double-bogey toward the end of his round. He was 14 shots behind Brice Garnett, the early leader, who opened with a 63.

Romo started his round off with back-to-back bogeys on the first two holes but then made birdies on Nos. 4 and 5. He answered a bogey at No. 7 with a birdie on No. 8 and finished the front nine at even par. To start his back nine, Romo made a putt of at least 25 feet to make par but had difficulties on holes Nos. 13-16.

Romo missed the fairway on four straight tee shots, taking -- but not needing -- two provisional shots on Nos. 15 and 16 only to find his original shot. He parred his final two holes, coming up short on birdie attempts both times.

Tony Romo shot a 5-over 77 in his PGA Tour debut Thursday at the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship. Christian Petersen/Getty Images

"That's just nerves, and hopefully you can get that out of the way," he said of his early nerves after his round. "I kind of knew that the most difficult part really would be the opening holes just in the sense of getting yourself comfortable and acclimated to the environment. Then in some ways it's as simple as just getting the speed of the greens down. I just left too many putts short today."

Romo said he had a difficult time committing to his tee shots on the back nine, which led to his issues.

"I think I feel comfortable," he said. "Just a couple of swings as I got to the back nine that you want back, but I'll be more committed. I'll know the lines a little bit better and hopefully I come out and go low."

Romo now works as an NFL analyst for CBS Sports. He received a sponsor's exemption into the tournament, which is held the same week as a World Golf Championships event in Texas.

Among early starters, only Guy Boros at 79 had a higher score. The 53-year-old Boros is playing his first PGA Tour event in three years.

ESPN's Todd Archer and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'm with you on the eye roll. The sports media are making this a lot bigger deal than it should be.  He won't ever be a legitimate contender on any pga event, and probably the same goes for a web.com event. A 77 is not exactly a stellar round of golf for tour players. I'm really hoping this is a one and done for him. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I think it's interesting to have other athletes shown playing golf. I do know if it creates more fans of the sport but it does grab a few extra views.

I miss all the televised exhibition matches they used to have. I can remember Freddie and Payne playing two other pros in a skins match. But in today's world I guess there is no time for these. And a lot of athelets are crossing sports for a little extra publicity. Like Russel Wilson being a Yankee.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Other sports have done it for years.  Golf isn't an exception.  The Mets invited Garth Brooks to Spring Training for several years in the early to mid 90's.  Not as a complete sideshow, although it sorta was.  Garth actually played the outfield and batted in a lot of games.  If this helps sponsors gain attention without taking a spot away from someone more deserving, I'm all for it.  At least Romo and Steph Curry are putting up respectable numbers in the process. 

If you want to see the opposite, look up Jerry Rice's career scores and statistics on PGATour.com.  #240YardsOffTheTee

I think we all know it wasn't because he could win the tourney.  It was to draw interest in the game from people who normally don't watch golf.  Romo actually said during an interview that his game is sharp but no where near tour standards (specifically his short game).  I'm ok with it.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Yeah, he probably won't ever be good enough to contend. Not a huge fan (at all) of him trying to play on Tour. Another eye-roller over here...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Since this tournament is opposite the Dell Match Play, perhaps, Romo's invite by the sponsor singularly was a PR effort to generate some interest in the event.  If not for Romo, I most likely would not even know it was being played.   While Romo's participation takes a spot from a genuine pro golfer, he may be helping those that are playing by impacting the purse.

Nothing but publicity stunt to try and attract viewers. I doubt he'll make a cut without tightening up some parts of his game that even he admits to need touching up.

I see him missing the cut and sticking the broadcast booth for a cheque. Who knows. Maybe his competitive nature will make him work hard and try again when their is another marquee event off the PGA tour and get another exemption

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Legitimate contender...definitely not.  But as others have said, as a gate or TV attraction I'm OK with it.  I'm not one that gets all worked up over the "he's taking a spot from someone who does this for a living" take, I have my thoughts on that for another thread perhaps..ha  

I used to enjoy it when NBC did the thing the Monday before the US Open where the brought Celeb's, pretty sure Romo was one at one time, and contest winners to see if they could break 100 from the tournament tees of the US Open course.   I think Romo shot in the mid 80's or something, which is respectable, but would most likely put him pretty close to DFL in the real deal. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I think it would be better if they just picked a random fan through a drawing each week to play on the Web.com, I'd much rather see a scratch or better an out there competing over an already professional athlete. He's a Millionaire . Give someone an opportunity to play on the big stage, these pros have already picked their profession.

I think it would be better if they just picked a random fan through a drawing each week to play on the Web.com, I'd much rather see a scratch or better an out there competing over an already professional athlete.

Well, he is a +.1, but still... There are plenty of other people I'd rather see out there.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Opposite field event that doesn't appear to get many locals or resort guests out but I'm god with anything to get eyes on the sport.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

See, the difference between this is what they did with Steph Curry, is that they gave Currey an exemption on the Web.com to draw eyes to the product and IT WAS TELEVISED. Golf Channel isn't even showing coverage of the PuntaCanta until 6:00 the following morning, and I don't care how you feel about Romo, I'm not getting up to watch that. It was Tony's connections at CBS and his background that got him this spot, and NO ONE IS TAKING ANY ADVANTAGE OF IT.

Sorry, just had to get that out there. I understand the exemption to get more eyes on the tournament, but if no one is airing the tournament until the weekend and you know he isn't making the cut, WHAT'S THE POINT?

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

attachicon.gifIMG_7386.JPG

Maybe I'm a jaded Redskins fan, but I experience a serious eye roll every time ESPN trots out Tony Romo as a legitimate contender on the PGA Tour.

I'll admit that he's good.....for an amateur. But his game just lacks any semblance of polish he'd need to contend in real life tour events. Sure, it's interesting to see someone we know for one thing try to succeed at something else, but come on people! Let's get some perspective on what it really takes to compete on tour. This reminds me of Tebow switching to baseball.

For the latest, here you go with his early results at PuntaCana. Anybody pick him up in your fantasy league?

Obviously it's good for the event to give a spot to a high public interest person, so I have no issue with that. If it's good for the sponsor it's really good for the players in the field as well. Higher gate, more concessions, greater ad revenue are all positive for the future of the event.

But as a golfer Romo looks like a bunch of guys I know- really good local amateurs who can break par on their home course every once in a while. Not a tour pro by any stretch, but a guy who might make the cut in a state am. That's good golf, but not exactly ready for prime time

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Shew....... It only got worse.

After shooting 82 in second round, Tony Romo finishes DFL

That article would really hurt my feelings if it was about me. Even still, it was still very well written and touched many of the points expressed in this thread. We must have some pretty smart people on this forum

The best part for me is I haven't had to deal with any "highlights" from his rounds on SportsCenter although that would probably make for a good laugh.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Shew....... It only got worse.

After shooting 82 in second round, Tony Romo finishes DFL

That article would really hurt my feelings if it was about me. Even still, it was still very well written and touched many of the points expressed in this thread. We must have some pretty smart people on this forum

The best part for me is I haven't had to deal with any "highlights" from his rounds on SportsCenter although that would probably make for a good laugh.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

His "I'm hitting the ball fine" line gave me a headache I rolled my eyes so hard.

I find it funny that most people gave Steph Curry a hard time about playing in the Web.com event then we stopped when he played pretty well. Romo well he played like crap and I'm enjoying the no respect for him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comments on here bring me more eye rolls. I hope he at least qualifies for the Open.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

As a Browns fans I was quite dismayed when the draft experts said Sam Darnold displays a lot of the same tendencies as Romo, he's gonna win some games for you but he's apt to turn the ball over under pressure. Great!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

As a Browns fans I was quite dismayed when the draft experts said Sam Darnold displays a lot of the same tendencies as Romo, he's gonna win some games for you but he's apt to turn the ball over under pressure. Great!

I feel sorry for Browns fans, and this coming from a Lions fan. I feel sorry because Sam Darnold is awful. I saw about 4-5 games he had this past season and he played horrible in every one of them. I guess I don't see what the “scouts” see. I think that picking him as the #1 overall pick is a huge mistake for the Browns.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I feel sorry for Browns fans, and this coming from a Lions fan. I feel sorry because Sam Darnold is awful. I saw about 4-5 games he had this past season and he played horrible in every one of them. I guess I don't see what the “scouts” see. I think that picking him as the #1 overall pick is a huge mistake for the Browns.

Not the first mistake for the Browns and not the last

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Comments on here bring me more eye rolls. I hope he at least qualifies for the Open.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Obv would be a great story but hard to see it happening. If he's barely a + index that means his average is higher than virtually every mini tour, Latin American Tour, Canadian, Web.com, and non exempt PGA Tour player going through qualifying. That's a lot of people. I'm not saying he's no good, I'm saying that according to his statistics he's nowhere near as good as guys who play the game for a living.

Obv would be a great story but hard to see it happening. If he's barely a + index that means his average is higher than virtually every mini tour, Latin American Tour, Canadian, Web.com, and non exempt PGA Tour player going through qualifying. That's a lot of people. I'm not saying he's no good, I'm saying that according to his statistics he's nowhere near as good as guys who play the game for a living.

Yeah and it showed. All I'm saying is don't hate. And I'm sorry to be quick to judge but don't kill anyone's dream of making the open. And I don't like the cowboys but Romo is better then Dak as QB to this day. I told all my Cowboy loving friends that during Daks rookie season they should have finished the season with Romo as QB and let him crumble again to erase any doubt about the good team they had that year. At worse he goes down again and the hot rookie goes back in. My reason was that you can't trust a rookie QB in the postseason and I still believe that.

It least you'll be in the conversation to contend for something besides more draft picks. The dude was a solid QB. Better the Cousins will ever be IMO. Talking heads are also saying that Darnold is the next Alex Smith. Just hope that it's the ASmith of these last two years.

Lemme try to take the conversation in a slightly different direction.

I find it fascinating (and in a certain sense, a bit disheartening) to see a guy like Steph Curry not humiliate himself playing a Web event. And even though Romo finished last in the event he played, he didn't totally get lapped by the field.

What I mean by disheartening is this: it is a point of pride for golf that it is hard. We who like golf often find a perverse enjoyment in playing a game that beats us up.

But what if golf isn't as hard as we think it is? Is there any possibility that if the world's greatest athletes dedicated themselves to golf, they would utterly change our conception of what is possible here?

Obviously, Tiger changed golf forever, showing that being an athlete could actually be relevant to golf performance. But for the most part, golf is still not a game filled with prime athletes. Guys who are (Dustin Johnson, Tony Finau) are still notable for being athletes, which means they're not normal in the game.

Curry's performance, in this regard, was even more remarkable than Romo's. Curry is still an active professional athlete in a different sport. He admits not being able to play golf regularly. And yet he beat a handful of guys who play for living. Is there any possibility that the reverse could be true: that a great golfer could play in the NBA G League and just kind of hang in for a quarter without humiliating himself? (Let's not take Bubba's All-Star appearance as a benchmark.)

I'm rambling a bit. But I've always found the hypothetical questions about athletes switching sports interesting. Could LeBron have a role on an NFL team? If America took our best athletes and made them all soccer players, wouldn't we win a World Cup?

And so, if our world's best athletes dedicated themselves to golf, would they simply overwhelm the game?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 month later...

And it's not only just a "Monday Qualifier" that one must make. I know for a fact on the Champions Tour there is a pre-qualifier prior to the so called Monday Qualifier. These guys have to go through 2 qualifiers to get into an event. My coach is one of them. He tells me the qualifying courses have much harder setups than the eventual tournament course.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Whatever the qualifying event details, the fact is that players who believe they can compete do have the opportunity to prove it.

I have nothing against the concept of sponsors exemptions, but believe those should be reserved for people who have earned an exemption from their golf play; such as promising juniors, collegiates, past tournament champion etc....

Or sponsors can use an exemption on someone like Steph Curry who can show up, golf his ball pretty decently, and bring a massive amount of publicity (and as a result, marketing and $$) to their event and tour. That's a pretty darn good reason to use an exemption on someone like that.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

A publicity stunt would be putting someone like Larry the Cable Guy or Bill Murray in an actual tournament.

Placing a professional athlete who can score and potentially make the cut, however, is not. 

To claim they "disrespected" professional golf players is quite a stretch. To use your examples above, neither Romo nor Speith have the ability to succeed, never mind excel, in the situations you provided. Yet, Curry did quite well for someone in his first pro tour event, something the other tour pros were quite happy to point out - https://www.golfdigest.com/story/watch-highlights-of-stephen-currys-impressive-webcom-tour-debut

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Archived