Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Chipping struggles

My home course

is a type of rye grass. Around some of the greens it gets really thick and the ball will sometimes fall down in it a bit. I generally will play my high bounce 58 or 54. Anything even with a hint of delicate touch required, i will sometimes duff it. I usually play it back with hsnds forward but hard to get anything close.

Any helpful tips? Im actually decent around the greens, but this will cost me a stroke or two at times.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Try a more neutral set up. Feet your wedge blade length apart. Ball in middle, slight forward shaft lean, open stance to target, open the club-face slightly. Keep your weight 60% to your forward side. Just brush the grass, to a slight bruise.

Another thing to try is to keep the club head on the tallest blade of grass behind the ball, meaning don't let it sink. If you keep the blade on top of the grass it will make it easier to return it to that location.

Remember it's just a small swing, so you have to move your body too. Turn, turn.

Edit: looked over the thick grass part. Use the above for short grass chips, and below for long grass.

Ah, thick stuff. I play those like a bunker shot. Not quite as far behind the ball but maybe try to get 1/2-1” behind it with some speed, not quite bunker speed but more than you'd think you would need.

Should come out a little warm, so plan for the roll out.

I don't chip from thick grass.  I play the ball a little more forward, basically in the middle of stance with weight a little forward.  I don't open up much, but some do.  I rotate back, picking up the club rather steep and follow through.  Basically, a mini-pitch shot with my 58º.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use a PW around greens. I found that regardless of lie I was more consistent with this club, versus the higher lofted wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I use to rush into a chip shot basically grabbing the same club with the same technique regardless of the variables. What a huge mistake. I've learned to grab a couple wedges then work them through the grass to get a little feedback before committing to a shot. I think the operative word here is committing. Far to often we all fail to commit, decelerate during the swing and end up duffing the ball.

A friend of mine is hilarious for he will do the same but he verbalizes his thought process out loud while taking his practice swings. Almost always it is, “that's not the one, that's not the one, that's not the one” then when he finally feels it he states out loud , “ok there it is”. I get a kick out of his process but it works for him.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Depending on the exact lie, plus the distance to the edge of the green and then the distance to the pin, club and setup may vary .. of course .. but in general I will try and play that type of shot as Shankster's second post or as KennyB described.

As mentioned, too, turning all the way through with the body is critical!

One modification I'd add - and again: depending on the specific lie and depth you find your ball in - is to try and feel like you're pointing the toe down through the shot .. ie. think of digging down and catching the ball with the fatter part of the wedge. Can be helpful in messy situations.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

A friend of mine is hilarious for he will do the same but he verbalizes his thought process out loud while taking his practice swings. Almost always it is, “that's not the one, that's not the one, that's not the one” then when he finally feels it he states out loud , “ok there it is”. I get a kick out of his process but it works for him.

Love it! Hey .. I may have to try that..... ;-)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm with Shankster. Get more neutral and utilize all that bounce! 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Since we all don't know what your lie actually plays like, trying out various clubs like Steddy suggests is a good idea.  It just sounds to me that the chipping motion is not the right shot for those conditions.  Adjust your setup and hit different clubs to see how much runout you get.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't chip from thick grass.  I play the ball a little more forward, basically in the middle of stance with weight a little forward.  I don't open up much, but some do.  I rotate back, picking up the club rather steep and follow through.  Basically, a mini-pitch shot with my 58º.

I do this as well. Depending on the thickness, play it like a bunker shot or a flop.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I do this as well. Depending on the thickness, play it like a bunker shot or a flop.

Yes, a bunker shot is a good example.  If the pin is close, I will also move my stance so the ball is more forward

My home course

is a type of rye grass. Around some of the greens it gets really thick and the ball will sometimes fall down in it a bit. I generally will play my high bounce 58 or 54. Anything even with a hint of delicate touch required, i will sometimes duff it. I usually play it back with hsnds forward but hard to get anything close.

Any helpful tips? Im actually decent around the greens, but this will cost me a stroke or two at times.

I play that shot with a very low bounce wedge and from forward in my stance to get the ball up quickly--just the opposite of what you do. 

But you're still a single digit capper and my single digit days are behind me, so while I may offer an opinion, heed it at your own peril.

I'm with Shankster. Get more neutral and utilize all that bounce! 

This.  Watch the handle lean.  Handle lean delofts the club, but more importantly lowers the bounce.  You want to play shots from the thick rough as neutral as possible.

Hmm, this is making me think, I usually open up the face and just make a chipping motion. I might have to try some different techniques.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Hmm, this is making me think, I usually open up the face and just make a chipping motion. I might have to try some different techniques.

Definitely from the thick stuff. You can actually get a good amount of spin on the ball if you really open it up and give it a good go. Practice first in a safe area, you'll catch some thin at first, but just try for a bunker splash... you can widen stance for shallower attack, just mess around with it. I rarely use a “chipping” shot...

A 64° wedge would make this even more fun.

This is far more simple than what I'm reading.

Pick a lofted club, short back, long through, the ball will come out just fine - then it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice so that you know how to read the lie well enough to know how far it will come out and run out.

Getting it out and on the green is not that tough, getting it close is tougher but that's also very advanced.

If you need to open the blade, you have the wrong wedge - not enough bounce - pick a different one or go buy one with more bounce.  As soon as you need to open the blade you've introduced a variable, how much?  Is it the same this time as last time? 

See the point.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ah, thick stuff. I play those like a bunker shot. Not quite as far behind the ball but maybe try to get 1/2-1” behind it with some speed, not quite bunker speed but more than you'd think you would need.

Should come out a little warm, so plan for the roll out.

I never thought of that way.Hmmmm. gonna have to give it a try. I always played a chip shot with more of a descending blowm

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

This is far more simple than what I'm reading.

Pick a lofted club, short back, long through, the ball will come out just fine - then it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice so that you know how to read the lie well enough to know how far it will come out and run out.

Getting it out and on the green is not that tough, getting it close is tougher but that's also very advanced.

If you need to open the blade, you have the wrong wedge - not enough bounce - pick a different one or go buy one with more bounce.  As soon as you need to open the blade you've introduced a variable, how much?  Is it the same this time as last time? 

See the point.

Exactly why I don't open my stance or the club.  I've also found that if the rough is thick, my Callaway Sure Out wedge or any high bounce wedge used for sand, works very well.

Definitely from the thick stuff. You can actually get a good amount of spin on the ball if you really open it up and give it a good go. Practice first in a safe area, you'll catch some thin at first, but just try for a bunker splash... you can widen stance for shallower attack, just mess around with it. I rarely use a “chipping” shot...

I gave this a shot today and it worked fairly well. I still need a lot more practice with it but initial impressions are good. Need to work on trusting using enough speed to get it out of tough lies.

I hit some really nice, high, soft shots. I had one shot over a bunker with about 5 feet to land on that I almost holed, saved a good par though. I used my 58° the most and that seems to be all the loft I need.

Thanks!

I gave this a shot today and it worked fairly well. I still need a lot more practice with it but initial impressions are good. Need to work on trusting using enough speed to get it out of tough lies.

I hit some really nice, high, soft shots. I had one shot over a bunker with about 5 feet to land on that I almost holed, saved a good par though. I used my 58° the most and that seems to be all the loft I need.

Thanks!

No problem. Glad I could be of assistance. If I get time before it snows I'm going to do a Shanskters short game series. I have a bunch of drills I do, shots I practice. Might be helpful, even though I am not a pro.

And out of the rough you'll need that height to stop the ball. Don't try to catch everything like you have a clean lie, you'll make poor contact almost every time. I'll go into that when I make the thread.

Haha. I'm reminded of my shot on Sunday. We were playing skins and already 2 guys were on the green on a par 3 so at least 1 probably 2 pars. I went for the sucker pin and ended up in a deep grass bunker and short-sided. I now had to try a splash type bunker shot with the ball sitting down in about 8” of grass 5' from the green and 5' below the green and maybe 15' Total from the flag. I took a 56 but opened it up a lot and I took a big swing. 75 yard swing off of a clean lie.

It was a really hard swing. I made pretty good contact and there was a ripping sound as the ball tore through the grass. It came trickling onto the green and did a slow-motion roll passed the hole by about 2', but just missed the cup by 1/2”.

One of the guys started laughing out loud. He thought it was hilarious. Said he thought I had knocked that ball across the green, and the number 1 fairway and half way across the driving range. And it barely went 17'.

Moral of the story is avoid the deep grass.

But yes. Play it like a bunker but unlike sand. You can take practice swings to get the feel. You just can't hit the grounding it's a grass bunker like I was in.

If you have a lot of green, you can close the face and the ball will come out hot. I had no green to speak of and needed (expected) to pop up really high. I would not have been surprised if it would have flown over that corner of the green the flag was tucked into. But as deep as it was I knew it would be tough to get out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Thanks for the input...hsvent played in a week so I will hopefully give some ideas a try tomorrow.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Ive played with the face of the club, but have alaways kept the ball back.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

How do you handle this out of the fairway, same open faced shot? I am struggling from about 20-50 out of the fairway.

Also, how far away do you hit this type of shot from?

Archived