Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Chipping struggles

Andrew Rice has done great content on instagram for chipping high, medium and low and some other good short game tips

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

How do you handle this out of the fairway, same open faced shot? I am struggling from about 20-50 out of the fairway.

Also, how far away do you hit this type of shot from?

⚠️ Not a pro... use at your own risk ⚠️

Depends. If you aren't using the bounce from the rough you are Handicapping yourself. If it is thin stuff I'll try to get more ball first contact. But around here I intentionally club up and technically hit them fat, and let the bounce of the club does the work. Hard to explain, i will do this with anything up to a 2 iron... but it takes a lot of practice to get your distances down, and I'm probably not explaining it very well.

From the fairway I have a few different set ups.

If it is real tightly mown I will put the ball back a bit more open my stance and get some shaft lean. Should come in low and hot but with a lot of spin.

If it's a fluffy lie you won't be able to that low trajectory as easy, so take what the course gave you, you'll catch the ball a bit higher on the face and it will go higher with some spin, but will most likely release some. When you start to try and hit the low ball from a fluff lie you will miss hit it most of the time. Play this from the middle.

Yes, I open my stance for most all wedge shots except a full PW.

Open your foot line, keep body square, you'll actually get a nice tight little draw shape.

Another thing to remember, is the lie of the ball. Don't get down on yourself if your impact position is a touch higher from longer grass, the fairways I play you get a flier lie half the time because they only cut them once a week if that. Don't force a shot that doesn't work for what's in front of you.

Kind of bummed....played tonight but never found the scenario I originally wrote about. Course was busier than usual so no time to practice along the way. Tomirrrow...

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

No shortage of tips here, but I'll add my 2 pennies worth. When I have issues chipping, I focus on a spot about 2” in front of the ball (closer to the hole). I then disregard the ball and hit as if that spot was the ball. Helps me get through the ball, hit slightly down, and takes the “hit” out of the shot. Works for me anyway....

EDIT: after reading this again, the issue is more with thick rough, and the ball sitting low. Just a tough situation, especially if you're close to the hole. The only way I know is to swing hard with an open face. Going long is so much better than a flub.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Its just that short chip with the ball sitting down in with what Id call a "deep lush"

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

How do you handle this out of the fairway, same open faced shot? I am struggling from about 20-50 out of the fairway.

Also, how far away do you hit this type of shot from?

8i, 9i, PW. If you are struggling with hitting wedges from the fairway from 20-50 yards, try playing the ball and letting it roll out. You do t have to fly everything to the hole and try to make it stop. Play a low shot that rolls.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I just learned not along ago... To play these like bunker shot. Make sure to not decelerate. I used to try to come down on the ball and pray, but the bunker like shot has been golden the past month I've been trying it. No more duffs, and that is super valuable in scoring for sure.

From an online article....

"So how do you hit this shot? You've probably hit it many times actually, just most likely out of a bunker. Yes, the same technique that you'd use to get out of a bunker, you should use to hit the soft high flop out of thick rough.

There are three main points to remember:

Set the ball forward in your stance, open the clubface. Just like a bunker shot, you want to hit slightly behind the ball and use the rough as a springboard to gently pop the ball out.

On the backswing, keep a quiet lower body. Most amateurs struggly with this, often straitening up in the back swing and shifting their low point of the swing. If you get too steep, you will slide right under the ball and the ball will not go far enough.

Fire through on your swing, maintain your spine angle, and fully rotate your hips. Watch Tiger's body as he finishes the swing. Notice how his belt buckle finishes to the left of the target line.

The goal here is get the ball on the putting surface, hopefully with a makeable putt. If you can get it close, that's an added bonus. If you can make it, well, that's Tiger-esque. But it certainly doesn't have to mean a big number. Play it like a bunker shot, commit to the swing and watch the ball float softly onto the green."

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

8i, 9i, PW. If you are struggling with hitting wedges from the fairway from 20-50 yards, try playing the ball and letting it roll out. You do t have to fly everything to the hole and try to make it stop. Play a low shot that rolls.

Okay, I will give this a shot. It should eliminate the variable of the perfect strike a little. I am good at that shot under the trees but don't know why I haven't thought to do it from the fairway.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I just learned not along ago... To play these like bunker shot. Make sure to not decelerate. I used to try to come down on the ball and pray, but the bunker like shot has been golden the past month I've been trying it. No more duffs, and that is super valuable in scoring for sure.

From an online article....

"So how do you hit this shot? You've probably hit it many times actually, just most likely out of a bunker. Yes, the same technique that you'd use to get out of a bunker, you should use to hit the soft high flop out of thick rough.

There are three main points to remember:

Set the ball forward in your stance, open the clubface. Just like a bunker shot, you want to hit slightly behind the ball and use the rough as a springboard to gently pop the ball out.

On the backswing, keep a quiet lower body. Most amateurs struggly with this, often straitening up in the back swing and shifting their low point of the swing. If you get too steep, you will slide right under the ball and the ball will not go far enough.

Fire through on your swing, maintain your spine angle, and fully rotate your hips. Watch Tiger's body as he finishes the swing. Notice how his belt buckle finishes to the left of the target line.

The goal here is get the ball on the putting surface, hopefully with a makeable putt. If you can get it close, that's an added bonus. If you can make it, well, that's Tiger-esque. But it certainly doesn't have to mean a big number. Play it like a bunker shot, commit to the swing and watch the ball float softly onto the green."

I need to remenber that on the green within 15' is a good result. I have the mindset of I must get up and down from everywhere. I need to adjust my mindset take the big number out of play.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Good plan to have.

I need to remenber that on the green within 15' is a good result. I have the mindset of I must get up and down from everywhere. I need to adjust my mindset take the big number out of play.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

This is far more simple than what I'm reading.

Pick a lofted club, short back, long through, the ball will come out just fine - then it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice so that you know how to read the lie well enough to know how far it will come out and run out.

Getting it out and on the green is not that tough, getting it close is tougher but that's also very advanced.

If you need to open the blade, you have the wrong wedge - not enough bounce - pick a different one or go buy one with more bounce. As soon as you need to open the blade you've introduced a variable, how much? Is it the same this time as last time?

See the point.

Just wanted to make sure The Rev's as-usual sage advice is not over-looked.

If you can use the same basic, simple chipping motion - with most any short game shot - and just vary the club to suit the circumstance ... then you give yourself a higher percentage chance of success.

"K.I.S.S."

But then .. OTOH .. golf is kinda a game of making small adjustments. But ... that's a variation on *the same basic theme*.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Okay, I will give this a shot. It should eliminate the variable of the perfect strike a little. I am good at that shot under the trees but don't know why I haven't thought to do it from the fairway.

There are a few holes at my course where you end up in a soft area, 40-50 yards short. If I try to hit wedge it almost always is a blade or a chunk, it never goes as planned. I'll use 9 iron and play a controlled punch and run. If I am 10-15 yards short on the short grass and have a clear passage, I always do a pitch and run with PW. Much less chance to chunk or blade it, and it's pretty easy to control with a bit of practice

I love leaving myself 30 to 60 yards I hit my 60° those distances without trouble. Most times I play for a one hop and stop unless it's really firm then I try to put more spin on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My take on this is, if you are struggling with your chipping or short game, do use this method. Unless you like chunked shots or blades shots. It can be very useful if you can learn, but if you are struggling this may not be the best shot type.

My take on this is, if you are struggling with your chipping or short game, do use this method. Unless you like chunked shots or blades shots. It can be very useful if you can learn, but if you are struggling this may not be the best shot type.

Lol...inside 60 with a 69 degree in hand is about my all time least favorite shot. I hot whstever it take to leave my 80 or longer if I cant reach.

I chop well, its just from a certain lie that kills me. I thonk the cure was posting since since Ive playee 4 times since I posted it and havent found thst lie since.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Yes I too would use the bounce on this type of shot or a short shot over a bunker or one over water. However, for the last year I've been trying to use the bounce with a wedge for all chips and shots up to 30 yards with limited success. I can't seem to get my distances right. Success maybe 20% of the time and I'm talking within 4ft. So the other day I watched a video done in 2013 with Jordan Speith and Mike Breed where Speith shows his basic chip shots from good lies. Feet close, little wrist cock and turn through with no release taking a small divot. Uses different clubs depending on what shot he is trying to do. Hop and stop, run out etc. If its good enough for him than its good enough for me. Of course he can hit it different trajectory's at will. But his recommendation for amateurs its to use anything from 8 iron to sand wedge and practice using same technique. Old school. Sounds good to me. YMMV.

I did go neutral last night, hands forward a bit, and let the bounce do its job. Even had the time to play around with it a bit. opened the face up ever so slight and tried 54 and 58. so much better. Thanks again! I will get more time to experiment as the course starts to empty this week.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I can't discuss the short game without making a promise.

You will never see an 85 shot with more two-putt pars in it than I used to do.

It was not at all unusual for me to hit more greens than the guys who gave me strokes, yet took my money anyway.

The real problems came when I missed,

at which point escaping a double was the only semi-plausible hope.

There's no question that my putting got worse after failing with the GIR.

Mere language, however, cannot describe my lobbing, chipping, and sand game. 

It would have been well worth the effort to bring camera crews in. 

Everybody can enjoy a good laugh on YouTube.

I definitely lobbed the ball way, way more than would seem prudent--

even in obvious bunp'n'run, chipping, and even off-green putting situations. 

Total catastrophe was the realistic expectation regardless of shot choice.

Lobbing was simply more fun than chipping if the result were going to be the same.

Were I to hit the implausible good chip, you would recognize that shot as dumb luck immediately.  My technique and lack of confidence therein would betray me.

My lob technique at least looked confident. Were I to instead lob my ball to a tap-in putt,

you might be fooled into thinking that I had some game--

at least until the next lob opportunity.

I never took a swing lesson after my original set of golf lessons.  I always thought that--

within the limits of my physical ability / athleticism to play--

I could figure out a way to make my swing work

My buds were all familiar enough with my unique swoosh to notice any odd artifact that may have crept in.  That was especially true of a guy that we called "Big Dick," despite his preference for "Rich."  He caught enough stuff for me that I called him Rich.

Desperation did drive me to short game lessons several times, though.

Although we have a gas fireplace with an electric wall switch,

that cash would still have been better used as kindling.

I can't discuss the short game without making a promise.

You will never see an 85 shot with more two-putt pars in it than I used to do.

It was not at all unusual for me to hit more greens than the guys who gave me strokes, yet took my money anyway.

The real problems came when I missed,

at which point escaping a double was the only semi-plausible hope.

There's no question that my putting got worse after failing with the GIR.

Mere language, however, cannot describe my lobbing, chipping, and sand game.

It would have been well worth the effort to bring camera crews in.

Everybody can enjoy a good laugh on YouTube.

I definitely lobbed the ball way, way more than would seem prudent--

even in obvious bunp'n'run, chipping, and even off-green putting situations.

Total catastrophe was the realistic expectation regardless of shot choice.

Lobbing was simply more fun than chipping if the result were going to be the same.

Were I to hit the implausible good chip, you would recognize that shot as dumb luck immediately. My technique and lack of confidence therein would betray me.

My lob technique at least looked confident. Were I to instead lob my ball to a tap-in putt,

you might be fooled into thinking that I had some game--

at least until the next lob opportunity.

I never took a swing lesson after my original set of golf lessons. I always thought that--

within the limits of my physical ability / athleticism to play--

I could figure out a way to make my swing work

My buds were all familiar enough with my unique swoosh to notice any odd artifact that may have crept in. That was especially true of a guy that we called "Big Dick," despite his preference for "Rich." He caught enough stuff for me that I called him Rich.

Desperation did drive me to short game lessons several times, though.

Although we have a gas fireplace with an electric wall switch,

that cash would still have been better used as kindling.

If you'd like to laugh at someone else's golfing issues, search YouTube for “Bobby Knight Golf Outtakes” Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

thanks again for the tips. It has helped tremendously!!

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Archived