2018 Official Forum Member Review - Arccos 360 w/ Caddie 2.0

Our Sponsors

Someone asked me this in the Shotscope thread and instead of replying there I thought I would just reply here and link it to him. Keeps that thread clean of Arccos stuff (even though they're related) but also keeps this thread filled with relevant Arccos-specific info.

I used The Grint for about 2 years, and more-recently Golfshot and the main benefit, for me, is not having to be on my phone every hole. Also The Grint has incorrect layouts that I've e-mailed them about without getting any response. When I was using Arccos, I e-mailed them that the data they had about a particular course was no longer accurate and they fixed it within 48 hours -- pretty impressive customer service.

As I don't have Shotscope in hand yet, I can only weigh in on the pros/cons of Arccos. Take all of this with a grain of salt because at a 0.9 HDCP I don't know what you're necessarily struggling with that the data is going to reveal to you personally, but when I first got it I was a 12 in the GHIN app and worked my way down to an 8 currently. Part of it was common sense observations, but some of it I can directly contribute to having stats to look over.

Pros:

• Invaluable amount of stats that you.cant.hide.from. Consistently coming up short from 150y and always pulling your 9i? Arccos is going to tell you that you don't hit a 150y 9i. It's right there for you to see that 90% of the time you're hitting it 140y and that you should be clubbing up. These are the types of things, along with handicap breakdowns of the different facets of golf, that I don't get with the free apps. I don't necessarily need Arccos Caddie telling me what club to pull, but finding a consistent on-course average with all clubs is valuable to me. Smart distance is great as well because it takes, or tries to at least, the outliers from your stats so you get a "truer" distance if that makes sense?
  • Easy to setup and use (YMMV). I didn't have to do much except install the app, screw in the sensors, and use my camera to pair them to a specific club. Using it -- literally just play golf (more on this later though).
  • Shows your strengths and weaknesses. You might think you're a decent driver of the golf ball and a poor putter, then find out that you lose more strokes off the tee than on the greens. Think you're a bad putter because you have 30+ a round? You're probably just not hitting it close enough and your approach play is what's holding you back. Gives you an achievable goal to work towards/practice on: "hitting more greens" is very vague and won't necessarily contribute to better scores/lower handicap (if that's your goal). "Hitting the green and getting a closer proximity to the hole" is an achievable goal that you're likely to see results from. You can hit it to the corner of the green opposite to the flag and that's gonna show up as a green in regulation on The Grint and Golfshot. When Arccos sees that your first putt was from 85' it's going to laugh at you and expose your dumpster-fire iron/wedge play. (speaking from experience)

Cons:

• It flat out sucked for me on Android. Using my Pixel 3, I could barely get through a full round from 80% battery life on the first tee. It would be worse if using my phone for other things simultaneously, like most people do: respond to texts, take pics, etc. Obviously, doing the other stuff at the same time you would expect some battery woes, however it felt like I was constantly having to pay extra attention to conserving my battery throughout a round and was honestly stressful. Also, you don't get all of the same features on Android -- like the social one where you add friends and stuff. Not a huge deal for me, but makes me believe further that the Android version is an after-thought/throwaway product. Not sure what flavor of Android they used to build their platform on, but I would imagine vanilla/stock Android should've performed better than it did.
  • Missed shots. I can't recall a time where it missed a full-swing shot, but it would miss a few putts per round -- and not necessarily just tap-ins either. Others have reported consistent issues with missed shots but for me, I can't complain other than on the greens.
  • Tagging pins. Having to mark my ball, walk to the pin, pull my phone out, then tag the pin location (only for it to not be accurate sometimes and force me to drag it with my finger) was just too involved for me. You could choose not to do it, but then you have inaccurate proximity to hole stats and that kind of defeats the purpose. I was excited for Link so I could just press 1 button, but they took way too long to come to market and I'm not sure it's going to be as successful of a launch as people are hoping for, especially if they've had this many problems just bringing it to a finished product.
  • Subscription fee. This isn't so much of an issue for me because I can golf 365 days of the year out here, but for someone who lives in a climate with actual season changes, that $99/year seems less worthwhile when it is only spread over 6 months rather than 12. This is kinda nit-picky but I can sympathize with people who don't want to pay yearly fees when it used to just be a one-time purchase.
  • Innovations/updates. There just don't seem to be any other than making their current user base subscribe? Shotscope looks like it is getting better and smaller, and Arccos now has a Superstroke attachment and built-in OEM sensor grips that come with a 1-year sub (I believe). One of these things is not like the other.

Arccos is a good product but I just think it's not quite "there" yet. I'm sure the pandemic didn't help with their timelines and development but the whole launch of the Link just looks like a huge cluster****. I think it has been over a year since they first launched the pre-order? I was stoked for it at first, then got that e-mail that they're scrapping it entirely to rebuild and cancelled shortly thereafter. Obviously, not a huge deal if you don't mind playing with your phone in your pocket!

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stage One – 8/22/18   First and foremost, thank you MGS and Arccos.  This is a very humbling and exciting opportunity.  I hope to provide value to the forum members and am looking forward to the h

Oooooo lookie. Didn't see this in the update notes but check out this here:   That was one of my biggest gripes before that Arccos appeared to be penalizing your approach for punch out

Stage One – Tester Introduction 22nd August 2018   I started to play golf in my home town of Largs, Scotland in the early 1970s at the age of 13 mainly because of my peers playing and inspired by

Posted Images

3 hours ago, yungkory said:

Someone asked me this in the Shotscope thread and instead of replying there I thought I would just reply here and link it to him. Keeps that thread clean of Arccos stuff (even though they're related) but also keeps this thread filled with relevant Arccos-specific info.

I used The Grint for about 2 years, and more-recently Golfshot and the main benefit, for me, is not having to be on my phone every hole. Also The Grint has incorrect layouts that I've e-mailed them about without getting any response. When I was using Arccos, I e-mailed them that the data they had about a particular course was no longer accurate and they fixed it within 48 hours -- pretty impressive customer service.

As I don't have Shotscope in hand yet, I can only weigh in on the pros/cons of Arccos. Take all of this with a grain of salt because at a 0.9 HDCP I don't know what you're necessarily struggling with that the data is going to reveal to you personally, but when I first got it I was a 12 in the GHIN app and worked my way down to an 8 currently. Part of it was common sense observations, but some of it I can directly contribute to having stats to look over.

Pros:

• Invaluable amount of stats that you.cant.hide.from. Consistently coming up short from 150y and always pulling your 9i? Arccos is going to tell you that you don't hit a 150y 9i. It's right there for you to see that 90% of the time you're hitting it 140y and that you should be clubbing up. These are the types of things, along with handicap breakdowns of the different facets of golf, that I don't get with the free apps. I don't necessarily need Arccos Caddie telling me what club to pull, but finding a consistent on-course average with all clubs is valuable to me. Smart distance is great as well because it takes, or tries to at least, the outliers from your stats so you get a "truer" distance if that makes sense?
  • Easy to setup and use (YMMV). I didn't have to do much except install the app, screw in the sensors, and use my camera to pair them to a specific club. Using it -- literally just play golf (more on this later though).
  • Shows your strengths and weaknesses. You might think you're a decent driver of the golf ball and a poor putter, then find out that you lose more strokes off the tee than on the greens. Think you're a bad putter because you have 30+ a round? You're probably just not hitting it close enough and your approach play is what's holding you back. Gives you an achievable goal to work towards/practice on: "hitting more greens" is very vague and won't necessarily contribute to better scores/lower handicap (if that's your goal). "Hitting the green and getting a closer proximity to the hole" is an achievable goal that you're likely to see results from. You can hit it to the corner of the green opposite to the flag and that's gonna show up as a green in regulation on The Grint and Golfshot. When Arccos sees that your first putt was from 85' it's going to laugh at you and expose your dumpster-fire iron/wedge play. (speaking from experience)

Cons:

• It flat out sucked for me on Android. Using my Pixel 3, I could barely get through a full round from 80% battery life on the first tee. It would be worse if using my phone for other things simultaneously, like most people do: respond to texts, take pics, etc. Obviously, doing the other stuff at the same time you would expect some battery woes, however it felt like I was constantly having to pay extra attention to conserving my battery throughout a round and was honestly stressful. Also, you don't get all of the same features on Android -- like the social one where you add friends and stuff. Not a huge deal for me, but makes me believe further that the Android version is an after-thought/throwaway product. Not sure what flavor of Android they used to build their platform on, but I would imagine vanilla/stock Android should've performed better than it did.
  • Missed shots. I can't recall a time where it missed a full-swing shot, but it would miss a few putts per round -- and not necessarily just tap-ins either. Others have reported consistent issues with missed shots but for me, I can't complain other than on the greens.
  • Tagging pins. Having to mark my ball, walk to the pin, pull my phone out, then tag the pin location (only for it to not be accurate sometimes and force me to drag it with my finger) was just too involved for me. You could choose not to do it, but then you have inaccurate proximity to hole stats and that kind of defeats the purpose. I was excited for Link so I could just press 1 button, but they took way too long to come to market and I'm not sure it's going to be as successful of a launch as people are hoping for, especially if they've had this many problems just bringing it to a finished product.
  • Subscription fee. This isn't so much of an issue for me because I can golf 365 days of the year out here, but for someone who lives in a climate with actual season changes, that $99/year seems less worthwhile when it is only spread over 6 months rather than 12. This is kinda nit-picky but I can sympathize with people who don't want to pay yearly fees when it used to just be a one-time purchase.
  • Innovations/updates. There just don't seem to be any other than making their current user base subscribe? Shotscope looks like it is getting better and smaller, and Arccos now has a Superstroke attachment and built-in OEM sensor grips that come with a 1-year sub (I believe). One of these things is not like the other.

Arccos is a good product but I just think it's not quite "there" yet. I'm sure the pandemic didn't help with their timelines and development but the whole launch of the Link just looks like a huge cluster****. I think it has been over a year since they first launched the pre-order? I was stoked for it at first, then got that e-mail that they're scrapping it entirely to rebuild and cancelled shortly thereafter. Obviously, not a huge deal if you don't mind playing with your phone in your pocket!

Great post and nailed everything I experienced.  The phone in the pocket, the lack of product innovation, the balls to charge almost $200 for a product and then force a subscription fee on your customers, and the complete botch of the Link (announced at the 2019 pga show) are all reasons I’ve sold my Arccos system and purchased Shotscope V3

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • 2 months later...

Does the sensor ruin the hole in the top of the grip when you fully uninstall the sensor? Anyone have pics of what the top of their grips look like after using these? Thanks! 

Edited by cl3av3r