hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Arccos 360 w/ Caddie 2.0

Awesome Stage 1s guys. Now that the CCC is over, I've finally had time to get caught up on the entire thread.

Feel free to drop Android questions in here. I have Arccos on my Android as well. I like it better on my iPhone, so I use that whenever I can remember to bring it with me to the course. But I've forgotten it enough that I have several rounds on the Android.

The iPhone UI is just a little bit nicer and smoother. Not so much that I'd say the Android is a bad experience, just that when you put them side-by-side, the iPhone is better.

The Caddy usually gives the same advice, but every once-in-a-while it will differ (I played a few holes with both phones on, until it drove me insane).

I wouldn't rule out Arccos if you're an Android fan like me. It's still pretty great.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Stage 2s.

So with several rounds in, has the data led to any A HA (or OH SH!T) revelations for you?

On your battery question, I think I read somewhere that it is a small solar cell on top of the sensor. It was in reply to the sensor not working in low light. I had to replace the putter sensor so I might do a tear down on what is in it.

So far I'm a fan but with quite a few caveats. One light bulb moment for me is that I seem to hit my 6i further than my 5i.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

This is in tournament mode?

Yes, in tournament mode. The second response I received they basically said the same thing. They stated that the wind speed is only measured at the beginning of the round and that the difference was due to the fact that on each hole that was the wind speed and direction when the app was started. They are working on removing the wind from the tournament mode. I will not be using during tournaments until this happens. 

• Like 1

Yes, in tournament mode. The second response I received they basically said the same thing. They stated that the wind speed is only measured at the beginning of the round and that the difference was due to the fact that on each hole that was the wind speed and direction when the app was started. They are working on removing the wind from the tournament mode. I will not be using during tournaments until this happens.

Wow, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

For me the biggest thing the data has shown me has been a HUH?

Currently for driving it says my handicap is a 17.6. I am not always dead center of the fairway but for the most part I'm not way off the planet right now. Maybe that's due to my distance off the tee being an average of 232yds. I am using my 3 wood exclusively off the tee this year as I am more consistent with that than my driver.

I know that I am 60yds behind the PGA average of 292yds, but where they get the 17.6 handicap from is a head scratcher right now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm sure Greg from Arccos can shed some light on how this is calculated.  Now that the Cobra Connect Challenge is over, I'll be answering questions from my testing experience as well.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

On your battery question, I think I read somewhere that it is a small solar cell on top of the sensor. It was in reply to the sensor not working in low light. I had to replace the putter sensor so I might do a tear down on what is in it.

So far I'm a fan but with quite a few caveats. One light bulb moment for me is that I seem to hit my 6i further than my 5i.

The sensor does go in sleep mode when it's turned upside down and placed in the dark confines of your golf bag.  When you start trying to finish your round in the dark, the sensors can turn off because of it.  I think HardCoreLooper had that problem playing at dusk once.

I noticed that on F8 clubs - there wasn't that even progression I would of expected, but part of that I think is due to some shots not purely hit so that factors into the average distance of the club.  Check out the 5 and 6 iron distances for the F8 one lengths. 

cobra iron progression.PNG

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

I noticed that on F8 clubs - there wasn't that even progression I would of expected, but part of that I think is due to some shots not purely hit so that factors into the average distance of the club.  Check out the 5 and 6 iron distances for the F8 one lengths. 

attachicon.gif cobra iron progression.PNG

MDGolfHacker

One thing I would love to see is a "data gathering" mode for Arccos, where you can go out onto the course and hit several shots with the same club to get enough data to be statistically valid. I might go a whole round without hitting a six iron. That would be a big help.

• Like 5

One thing I would love to see is a "data gathering" mode for Arccos, where you can go out onto the course and hit several shots with the same club to get enough data to be statistically valid. I might go a whole round without hitting a six iron. That would be a big help.

That may be one of the largest areas for improvement IMO. The “data” the system has gathered doesn't really decipher between full shots and any other style of shot. I use my 7 iron to chip at times, other times in my rounds I need to chip or punch out of trees so my distances are not the most accurate IMO. Also, I barely use my 4 iron (looking to replace with a hybrid) so my limited number of shots with it make it hard to trust the current numbers. IMG_0659.PNG

IMG_0660.PNG

• Like 1

@Palvord - It's supposed to filter out outliers. Are you not seeing this yet? I forget how many shots I needed for each club to get decent smart distances. They're all pretty accurate now, but I do remember it taking some time.

• Like 1

@Palvord - It's supposed to filter out outliers. Are you not seeing this yet? I forget how many shots I needed for each club to get decent smart distances. They're all pretty accurate now, but I do remember it taking some time.

I think that I haven't crossed that threshold of the number of shots needed for each club. That's why being able to go out and just hit consecutive shots with the same club would be helpful in acquiring the distances in a more efficient manner rather than waiting for quite a number of rounds to acquire the data.

• Like 2

I think that I haven't crossed that threshold of the number of shots needed for each club. That's why being able to go out and just hit consecutive shots with the same club would be helpful in acquiring the distances in a more efficient manner rather than waiting for quite a number of rounds to acquire the data.

Gotcha. I'll admit, I have ready (and cheap) access to an executive course, so I played it a bunch of times once we got the 360 sensors (and again with the Cobra F8s) to generate data. And I hit long irons off several tees to ensure they got a workout.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Neither Shot Scope or Arccos can do this unless you hit the shot then walk up to it then hit it back again. They both measure the distance between triggers. If you look at your phone after you hit a shot it says shot detected you can also get a distance from shot detected but it will not record the shot distance until it detects the next shot.

• Like 1

Might have to consider getting the system. Could help me determine my range for each club better.

• Like 2

Might have to consider getting the system. Could help me determine my range for each club better.

The smart range is a nice feature. It is also humbling when you realize you don't hit the ball consistently as far as you originally thought.

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed catching up on this thread and look forward to following along. With work and a young family it's hard to play enough. May be a good way to get a better idea of how I actually play with each club and what needs most improvement.

• Like 2

My dropped shots concern is back. I played 18 yesterday and today and the system missed 13 shots (not putts) yesterday, and 14 today. It's not the worst thing to manually input the shots as you go but it is irritating that I'm not sure what causes the shots to not register.

• Like 1

My dropped shots concern is back. I played 18 yesterday and today and the system missed 13 shots (not putts) yesterday, and 14 today. It's not the worst thing to manually input the shots as you go but it is irritating that I'm not sure what causes the shots to not register.

That's a crazy thought to me for it to miss so many shots per round. I've played 10+ rounds with it so far and it hasn't missed a single shot. As of late, it's even been getting the pin locations correct which is no small feat. Last round I played, it got 100% of shots including putts and flag locations with zero editing required.

Is it the same club most times or does it vary? If we're assuming that you've got your part right, I'll bet you've got some bad sensors. Customer service is very helpful if you reach out to them with issues.

• Like 5

Neither Shot Scope or Arccos can do this unless you hit the shot then walk up to it then hit it back again. They both measure the distance between triggers. If you look at your phone after you hit a shot it says shot detected you can also get a distance from shot detected but it will not record the shot distance until it detects the next shot.

True, but it shouldn't be too difficult to have a special mode that will let you:

1.  Hit several shots from the same (or nearly the same) spot.

2.  Walk up to each ball and tap the screen to mark the location.

The smart range is a nice feature. It is also humbling when you realize you don't hit the ball consistently as far as you originally thought.

The truth will set you free, but it really sucks to see it sometimes.

I'd definitely check in with customer service.  I'll miss a shot, maybe two, per round.  I wonder if you have either a bad sensor or a problem with your phone.  I'm sure you've run diagnostics by now.  Do you have access to a different phone to run the app?

• Like 1

That's a crazy thought to me for it to miss so many shots per round. I've played 10+ rounds with it so far and it hasn't missed a single shot. As of late, it's even been getting the pin locations correct which is no small feat. Last round I played, it got 100% of shots including putts and flag locations with zero editing required.

Is it the same club most times or does it vary? If we're assuming that you've got your part right, I'll bet you've got some bad sensors. Customer service is very helpful if you reach out to them with issues.

That's the concern for me is that it varies in shot type and club type. At times it's off the tee, others are approach shots and then I have short game shots that aren't picked up. I'm not sure what else I can do.

• Like 3

True, but it shouldn't be too difficult to have a special mode that will let you:

1. Hit several shots from the same (or nearly the same) spot.

2. Walk up to each ball and tap the screen to mark the location.

The truth will set you free, but it really sucks to see it sometimes.

I'd definitely check in with customer service. I'll miss a shot, maybe two, per round. I wonder if you have either a bad sensor or a problem with your phone. I'm sure you've run diagnostics by now. Do you have access to a different phone to run the app?

I may have to test with a different phone to see how that changes things.

• Like 1