Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Should you be using a longer lengthen driver?

revkev

I was rummaging through OEM websites today and noticed an interesting trend. LPGA Players, who would whip our butts, all use drivers over 45”'s in length - all, I didn't find a single one under in fact.

As s group they are more accurate off the tee and maximize their driving distance better than the guys on the PGA tour also.

So, if you've shortened your driver shaft because your favorite PGA pro has, is it time to reconsider.

My fitter was adamant that I not shorten mine when I asked. “We fit you at 45.25 and you hit it great.”

So should we be rethinking this? Maybe the LPGA has it right.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think this boils down to a fitting question, get fit see what works best for you.

That being said, I think for non-pro golfers, the shorter shaft is easier to make center contact. These women are pros who hit the center of the face 99% of the time. They can maximize a 45+ inch driver in a way most of us can't.

Their slower swing speeds, leave them less time to go off line, the men hit it farther therefore a smaller mistake leads to a bigger miss. If you normalized the data to a 115mph swing and cross reference with offline and fairway width, I think you might have a differemt story.

Once again, it is worth getting fit and seeing what macimizes your personal numbers.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think when you have great controlled tempo then a longer shaft works very well. If you are a big banger who really goes after the ball a longer shaft may prove to be more inconsistent. As Rev has suggested fitting is very important.

I pulled the F7 driver shaft out and put it in my F7 3 wood. It was an amazing transformation. I have a very deliberate (slow) swing and the added length increase my launch and distance by 20 yards in average.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Used a 44 inch before and I hit it in the center most of the time, but was not getting the distance I wanted so I went back to 45.5 and hitting it longer and straighter with a smooth temple swing.

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

And honestly my point was just that! Go get fit. The women ranged from 45-48” with their drivers.

BTW in checking out male tour pros they ranged from 43.5 to 45.75 - there were just as many if not more over 45 as under it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Definitely get fit. So many factors to consider, everyone is built differently. What works for me will not be best for you. I have experimented with many lengths and 44in is the number. I am 6'2 and have long arms.

I agree that you should get fit and I didn't. But I played with my driver at the stock 45.5" length and was just spraying it around. I cut it down to 44.5" and am now consistently, like 90% of the time, hitting the centre of the club face and didn't lose any distance. My spraying has gone to a sprinkle too.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've given thoughts to a shorter length a few times but never followed up on it. I think because I generally drive the ball decently most days. So why change something that's working? My driver is 45.25". However, I grip down slightly on all my clubs about .25" perhaps up to .5". My instructor made that recommendation/comment a few years ago as he noticed I had the grip end/butt seated more in my palm. According to him he simply said, "this is where pros grip the club" and he showed me what he meant. So imagine you gripping the club and then holding it up in front of you in your left hand. You should notice the butt extending past your palm about .25-.5". (I prefer about .25") Whether Pros grip the club like this or not; my on-center ball striking improved across all clubs. Essentially I'm playing my driver at about 44.75-45". I'll concede my swing is fairly short when compared to what's generally considered a "full" swing when a "full swing" might be required. But for me my swing is a full swing. Doesn't matter how long or short your swing might be. It's where the ball ends up and if your distances are acceptable/playable for your distances. Mine are. I'm not a distance player but I do play the correct tees for the distances I can produce. I'd also add, I believe my accuracy (most days) is generally better than those I play with regularly. Heh!

In summation I don't feel the need for a shorter shaft in my driver.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Brooke Henderson plays close to 47.5" driver but chokes up on it a good 2 inches.

I think it comes down to an LPGA player wanting to increase length off of the tee. Length = more $

A lot of the male pros hit the gym. That doesn't seem to be a proven strategy on the LPGA. What is left? Increasing leverage with a longer shaft. Their swing speed, control and practice likely allow them to hit the center of the face more often.

I think it is unimpeachable that you will hit the center of the face more with a shorter shaft, but you sacrifice distance with on-center hits because of it. That may be a worth while trade off for some.

A good fitter should be looking to maximize on-center hits and driver length for optimal distance.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Alternatively, don't lengthen your driver, lengthen your backswing. It's cheaper!

itr__1250865637_john_daly_backswing.jpg

I got fit for standard length and I'm very pleased with the performance between the shaft and head choice. I'm sure there are fellas out there with more coordination than me who could pull it off though

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Alternatively, don't lengthen your driver, lengthen your backswing. It's cheaper!

itr__1250865637_john_daly_backswing.jpg

Image1535212909.619966.jpg

In the bag

Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex

3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree

Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2

Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie

Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees

Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig'em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

attachicon.gif Image1535212909.619966.jpg

In the bag

Gig'em Aggies!

of course the gif won't work

In the bag

Gig'em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

of course the gif won't work

I think we all know the moment you were referencing. That was a pretty short shafted club he hurled—and look at the distance he got!

Actually since it came up earlier the women are more efficient drivers than the men and it was little to do with club head speed - it's an AoA matter - their average is about 3 up where as the guys on tour is slightly down (on average)

Regardless very few of us have the same issues/needs as a male touring pro and even half of them bag drivers over 45”.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@revkev you and I are both in the camp of being fit for your clubs and we know internet type golfers are going to tinker. I think whatever the fitter recommends is how a person should go. For me with the g400 it was 1/4” short. I've been fit into 46, 45 1/2 and 45 1/4 in different heads. I also had the privilege of meeting some industry folks over the last couple years and one is the director of marketing at a shaft company. His theory is play as long of legal length shaft as one can that still allows one to square up the face.

Regarding lpga vs pga/web.com/euro tour imo golfers who have swing speed to spare bit want better control can get away playing shorter ala Sergio and his 43.5” driver and those of us who aren't blest with that type of speed should take advantage of the extra length in the shafts to help generate speed. Brook Henderson at 5'4” switched to a 48” shaft and gained 25 yards with the driver and she chokes down on it similar to how she did with here previous shaft

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think we all know the moment you were referencing. That was a pretty short shafted club he hurled—and look at the distance he got!

the man has skills

In the bag

Gig'em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

I did an experiment not long ago where I put my 3w shaft onto my driver head. Had immediate positive results with this "shortened" version, so in order to re-gain my 3w back, I had my driver shaft shortened by 1" from the butt. Not as good of a result but it felt "better" than the standard length it used to be. BTW, both of these shafts were stock PING Alta R-Flex types.

Not long after, I got fitted for the new G400 driver and the fitting suggested that I go with a stiff-flex shaft at regular the standard length of 45", so I've returned to a "longer-length" shaft. It makes me think that by shortening the R-flex shaft it gave it a stiffer profile maybe which contributed to the better performance. Also the performance of my current set-up is superior to this past experiment.

Now going to even a longer stick seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. The longer the whip, the harder it would seem to be able to strike the ball accurately. I don't know how those ladies are doing it, but I just gotta give them big kudos for having piles more talent than I'll ever have in order for them to pull it off. I bet their generally smoother, easier tempos have a lot to do with it too... They would mop the floors with most of us even with OTR stuff and hitting from the tips.!! :wacko:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I am 6'3” and my ideal length is 40”. Very short in general not to mention for my height but I crush them an average of 285 yards with an average swing speed of 103mph. If I let loose I easily pass the 300 yard mark. Custom fitting tailored for you is the best way to go!

Rev did your fitter have shorter length drivers to fit you in?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I was rummaging through OEM websites today and noticed an interesting trend. LPGA Players, who would whip our butts, all use drivers over 45”'s in length - all, I didn't find a single one under in fact.

As s group they are more accurate off the tee and maximize their driving distance better than the guys on the PGA tour also.

So, if you've shortened your driver shaft because your favorite PGA pro has, is it time to reconsider.

My fitter was adamant that I not shorten mine when I asked. “We fit you at 45.25 and you hit it great.”

So should we be rethinking this? Maybe the LPGA has it right.

I had no idea wow. I will not lie I often look more into their WITBs than I do the PGA tour because their distances are more similar to mine. When I watch them...yes I watch I think I learn more about the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I did an experiment not long ago where I put my 3w shaft onto my driver head. Had immediate positive results with this "shortened" version, so in order to re-gain my 3w back, I had my driver shaft shortened by 1" from the butt. Not as good of a result but it felt "better" than the standard length it used to be. BTW, both of these shafts were stock PING Alta R-Flex types.

Not long after, I got fitted for the new G400 driver and the fitting suggested that I go with a stiff-flex shaft at regular the standard length of 45", so I've returned to a "longer-length" shaft. It makes me think that by shortening the R-flex shaft it gave it a stiffer profile maybe which contributed to the better performance. Also the performance of my current set-up is superior to this past experiment.

Now going to even a longer stick seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. The longer the whip, the harder it would seem to be able to strike the ball accurately. I don't know how those ladies are doing it, but I just gotta give them big kudos for having piles more talent than I'll ever have in order for them to pull it off. I bet their generally smoother, easier tempos have a lot to do with it too... They would mop the floors with most of us even with OTR stuff and hitting from the tips.!! :wacko:

The R- flex, if you butt trimmed it, would have played to the same flex as it oringinally played. It would have been stiffer if you tip trimmed it. Interesting result though, if you have the right shaft, you will hit the center more often, hence the better performance of the stiff shaft since it was better fit.

The R-flex shaft was the wrong fit so you hit the center less, when you trimmed it you still got more control, hence the better performance than the longer shaft.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived