Sluggo42

Is golf your main hobby, or just one of many?

Family, work and Golf. In that order

I do other things to relax when I get smaller windows of time, but as of this year I've really made an effort to narrow my efforts (and expenses) to places I want to make the most progress. 

• Like 3

Golf may be my main "hobby" at present, but I always have several/many other interests* going - I don't want any of my interests to take over all my time. Others may disagree, but I think I would grow tired of any single "hobby." I know a few retirees who said they were going to play golf full time, or fish full time when they retired, and that quickly became boring for some of them.

I played golf regularly, even competitively, from age 10 until my mid 40's and then quit altogether while other interests took all my time. I didn't know if I'd come back to golf or not, didn't think much about it either way. But after a 15+ year hiatus (while sail racing took most of my free time), I've been playing 2-3 times/week in season for the past 2 years, and I expect that to continue for a long time to come.

* over the years - sailing, kayaking, woodworking, investing, videography, walking/hiking, exercise, XC skiing, cooking, reading, dogs, volunteering, following technology & politics, playing guitar, being a husband & friend, etc.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 4

I generally immerse myself into whatever the hobby is that I do. I mean 100% full on. Golf is no exception. All other hobbies/sports have basically been put on hold so that all my time, money & effort goes toward it.

Used to ski and lived for it, 100% in.

Bird hunting was the same. 100% in, reloading, trap shooting all year, planning trips, camping, etc.

Archery, again the same. 100% in, tons of practice, trips, camping, etc.

When I was competitively shooting...100% in. Best equipment, reloading, constant practice, travelling all over the region for matches, etc. Now all that stuff collects dust after I "retired".

Fly fishing is always my default though. Fishing is in my blood and is ever present as an activity. Whether tying flies, or fooling big browns with a tiny dry fly, I'll drop almost anything to do it. Now last year was an exception...heck I didn't even get a license. Right now I'm 100% golf.

• Like 4

Now that I am days from my retirement, for me, it is my hope that golf will not be a hobby, but a lifestyle, in a manner of speaking.   No longer having professional commitments, I hope to play more golf and enjoy the game with my fellow "old coots".   Moreover, it is my intent or hope to find a role of some sort within golf, either at a course or shop.   Not only do I love the game, I love being with and around my fellow golfers.   While my age and health may limit my ability and opportunity to play, such a role will keep me around the game and my fellow golfers.    To me, that is just as important as playing.  

Edited by TheWahoo
  • Like 6

I’m liking responses here, it kind of gives a little insight into everyone a little bit, besides about their golf game. Keep em coming!

I'll second that.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MattF said:

In my younger days I raced cars in Sydney, started racing my Uncle's Datsun 510 and then built my own Mazda 626 sports sedan, that took almost all of my spare time and I loved it.

Nice!  The Datsun 510 was a great race car!  I raced a '72 Datsun 240Z.  

• Like 4

I have had many other hobbies, however right now it is only golf. Hunting and skiing were 2 that always were part of my life. Now I haven't hunted or hit the slopes in 2 years. I want to get to back to being a competitive golfer as well as get to scratch. Last fall I got rid of everything else to focus on this. With time and money constraints it is what has my focus right now. 

• Like 6

Golf is my main hobby now days. When I was younger I played everything.

Most of what Chisag said in his second paragraph above pretty much sums it up for me too. I love the competition. I rarely just go out to just beat it around. I've got to be playing for something. A purpose of winning!

• Like 6

... Amen Plaid! I was playing horse with my 27 yr old and his friends this summer and only lost once. That was when I said I still really  love basketball and he said "No Dad, you love winning. If we were kicking your a$$ every game, you wouldn't even be down here playing with us". LOL ... maybe the kid did learn something in college. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I love the competition. I rarely just go out to just beat it around. I've got to be playing for something. A purpose of winning!

A variation on this theme. For all my years playing golf, I almost invariably play my best golf in scrambles. I can only guess it’s the completion PLUS the added motivation of not letting down the others in my foursome who also stand to win a couple bucks and bragging rights for a week. I’m often asked to hit last, so knowing there’s already a decent playable shot helps a lot too - you get to try shots you might not using normal course management. And if the group has nothing playable, you know to play a smart, safe shot. I enjoy scrambles more than any other format.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 3

Golf became my main hobby about five years ago.  Can't play baseball or softball after 19 knee surgeries, my wife decided drag racing and riding Harleys were too dangerous after we had kids and I lost the urge to hunt or fish.  I do enjoy my toy and do a little bit of racing with it and actually just picked up a guitar this week for the first time in almost 20 years so I am trying to expand my interests beyond golf.

• Like 5

Golf is my only hobby other than work and family time. It's pretty damn time consuming after all, but for me that is a feature, not a bug!

• Like 2

Over the years I've been into Martial Arts, Tennis, Bass fishing, Drag Racing and cycling. I suppose you could say Woodworking is a hobby..... has been my whole life, but I also do it for a living.

I got into golf about 20 years ago. Golf is pretty much the only thing I do these days.

• Like 4

Over the years I played just about every sport. I thought I’d play basketball until the day I died. Then in my early 40s I traded in my high tops for spikes and haven’t looked back since. Golf is my main hobby but I live under the mantra of, “when was the last time you did something for the first time?”

In retirement I have several goals from starting a nonprofit to bring golf to the economically challenged kids of our communities, executive leadership consultation and coaching as well as inspirational speaking and writing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Golfs my main hobby but I really enjoy photography. But if I had to choose I’d pick golf. Dabbled in flying drones for fun but that didn’t last very long haha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Golf is my main hobby when the weather is cooperating. I would play every day if I could! I'm going to attempt to take up woodworking, as I've always been into building things and the such. Hopefully it will keep be busy when I'm unable to golf.

• Like 1

I’ve had lots of hobbies, some simultaneously, and just about quit golf for awhile because I didn’t have a course nearby and was pursuing other interests... but now it’s just golf. I was big into music for awhile, playing harmonica, guitar, bass, drums, and songwriting, plus doing some woodwork, and had a knife&tool sharpening business, there was motorcycles too, cooking, video games and movies and probably some other stuff I’ve forgotten. Now it’s just golf. I still have those other things in my life somewhat but they are just skills I have acquired rather than hobbies I pursue.

I can listen to an audiobook while I walk 9, so I get exercise while I study and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've found this thread very fascinating...It seems that many among us who happen to golf are also inclined to be musicians (a great number so far BTW). Many of those who have responded so far have also dabbled in baseball/softball (some football like chisag) and also seem to trend toward "out-doors-y" type of activities (i.e.: hunting, & fishing mainly). I also see a number of fellas mentioning their wood-working skills or other hands-on type of hobbies that are very, very meticulous and precise in nature.

While I certainly have experience in most those things mentioned above thus far, I am so not musically-inclined...at all. Don't know why honestly…Just never had the talent for it I suppose. But this recurring admission by many of you MUST mean something.

Right??!!!

Sluggo, great thread and I hope to read more about my fellow Spies that continue to reinforce this "logical & precise" mind-set that one seem to must possess in order to enter (and stay) into this weird land of golf...

Lord help us all....

• Like 4

If “many” means I play, read about, digitally digest, watch videos/tv about golf then yes I have many.

I did learn to knit. But it was to make club covers

• Like 2