TSauer

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

Music on the course should be banned or played that only your cart can hear it. I don't want to  hear someone's country or rap soundtrack 3 holes over. I came to get away from everything not have someone blasting music.
Don't mind the music overall, but I agree if I can hear it from the next hole turn it down.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

If you want to enjoy music during your round, they make wireless headphones/ear buds.  Just because you like it, doesn't mean that I do.  Keep it to yourself!

• Like 6

On 3/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, Green Sheep Productions said:

Tour players would struggle to break even on country tracks, partially because they are used to manicured courses, partially because the green are a fraction of the size of top tier courses. 

Nice attempt at a "hot take" but I disagree and have evidence to support my opinion.  My "country track" has produced a Tour player.  I witnessed him set the course record of 58.  At the age of 60, he still shoots the effortless 62 when he comes to town to visit family.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 3:54 PM, GSwag said:

Seed over all the cart paths and any golfers that want to play have to walk, take a caddie, or bring a push cart.  Yeah, I know, I just created a riot over in "The Villages", but bring it on.  I know it's unpopular to suggest such a thing, but back in the day golf was supposed to be a sport where the walking component was a big part of the competition and game.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I would definitely have Walking ONLY days!!

• Like 2

If you demand walker's only, play Bandon Dunes .... no carts, walkers only, caddies available.

• Like 2

Music on the course should be banned or played that only your cart can hear it. I don't want to  hear someone's country or rap soundtrack 3 holes over. I came to get away from everything not have someone blasting music.

This really shouldn’t be unpopular but I guess the game is changing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 3/10/2019 at 12:52 AM, Thin2win said:

Want to speed up golf? Make it so that once a player putts, they must continue to putt until they are in the hole. 

Second that.

It's literally maddening to watch the extended rigamarole x 3 or 4 putts x 4 players, while the group behind you is itching to hit up into *you* 'cuz they think you're stalling....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CarlH said:

If you demand walker's only, play Bandon Dunes .... no carts, walkers only, caddies available.

Yep - someday!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yep - someday!

Direct flight from Denver!!  I will certainly join you.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2019 at 1:12 PM, downlowkey said:

giving match play strokes

Huh.. I'd thought match play was straight up? Or is this just one form of match play using HCPs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Huh.. I'd thought match play was straight up? Or is this just one form of match play using HCPs?

Can play either way.  

• Like 2

After this weekend, all putts in Match Play must be holed out.  Good enough for Medal Play; why not Match Play?  End of controversy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Can play either way.  

Ahh. Still seems weird to me, tho, and Match play should be just that - two competitors matched vs each other; ie. it's not Stroke play.... (imho)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Ahh. Still seems weird to me, tho, and Match play should be just that - two competitors matched vs each other; ie. it's not Stroke play.... (imho)

Yes, but unless the competitors are of similar handicaps, it would be a one-sided match.  Consider a 7 handicap player playing against a 15 handicap player.  Who's going to win 9 out of 10 times?  Kind of pointless for the higher handicap player to even engage in the match.  However, handicaps are established based on stroke play, not match play.  Therefore, there is not equity by giving full handicap strokes to the higher handicap player.  This is often the bone of contention of 99% of lower handicap players and why they don't want to play high handicap players in handicapped match play.  Can't blame them, at all.

Our club sponsers a match play competition that's flighted and there are no strokes given within that flight.  It's a week long event that draws competitors from all over the PNW.  The only glitch in it is setting up the flights will sometimes result in some players being in a wrong flight than they should based on their qualifying score.  There are sandbaggers, of course, but generally it's the result of having a bad or good qualifying round.

After this weekend, all putts in Match Play must be holed out.  Good enough for Medal Play; why not Match Play?  End of controversy.

That would mean we would miss fun things like Bubba conceding a hole while the ball is still in the air.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That would mean we would miss fun things like Bubba conceding a hole while the ball is still in the air.

There is always the option to concede a hole, just not give a hole.

But you said all putts must be holed, that eliminates the concession. I guess I am missing your distinction between conceding and giving a hole.

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Match play is 1v1 or 2v2. How woukd opponents of differening caps have a fair match. In stroke play it’s normally net vs gross for 18 and not hole by hole. In match play it’s one hole at a time. 

50 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Huh?

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Match play is 1v1 or 2v2. How woukd opponents of differening caps have a fair match. In stroke play it’s normally net vs gross for 18 and not hole by hole. In match play it’s one hole at a time.

Ricky, so let me explain how this works at my club in the league I used to play in. 2 person teams high cap plays high cap, low plays low in a nine hole match. Team A consists of a 2 and a 11, Team B consists of a 1 and a 14.  In the match, the difference between the two handicaps is the amount of strokes the higher cap player gets. Therefore, the 14 gets 3 shots against the 11 and the 2 gets one shot against the 1. 

Now, for this example, let's say hole 1 is the hardest, hole 5 the second hardest and 9 the third. This means the 14 gets a shot on 1,5 and 9, while the 2 gets a shot on one. They then proceed to shoot the following scores

1 han     3   4   5   4  3  4  5  4  3    35 (net 34)

2 han     4   5   6   3  3  4  5  3  3    36 (net 34)

11 han  5  5  8  5  7  5  6  5  4   50  (net 39)

14 han  7  5  8  6  6  5  8  5  5   55  (net 41)

So, top match, they tied on hole one because of the stroke, the 1 won holes 2 and 3, the 2 won holes 4 and 8. The match ends All Square. Bottom Match, the 11 wins hole 1 (5 v 6) 4, and 7, the 14 only wins hole 5, so the 11 wins 2 up. Also, the matches don't end at lockups because a point is given to the team that wins the most holes net and the team with the low score net.

So, the low handicap players split their 2 points to 1 each side as they ended totally tied, the 11 takes all the points from the 14, winning 2 up in the match and by two net strokes, and team A (the 2 and 11) beat team B in both holes won and strokes. Therefore, for purposes of the league, Team A takes 5 points and Team B takes 1.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2019 at 3:54 PM, GSwag said:

Seed over all the cart paths and any golfers that want to play have to walk, take a caddie, or bring a push cart.  Yeah, I know, I just created a riot over in "The Villages", but bring it on.  I know it's unpopular to suggest such a thing, but back in the day golf was supposed to be a sport where the walking component was a big part of the competition and game.

Pace of play is maxed out at 3 1/2 hours for any group on the course.  If it's good enough for St. Andrews, then it's good enough for wherever golf is played.  You punch a card at the turn, and if you are over time (1 hour and 45 minutes per nine for those of you keeping score), your group is asked to leave the course.  Well, asked is too polite.  You'd be shown the parking lot by our staff of marshalls who are all college students from the athletic department.

Maximum handicap of 18 is allowed on the course.  Yeah, sure, that seems extreme, but we have a nice big 'ol range over there for those of you who need to work on your game a bit to get down to the maximum number.  And while we're working with your game on the range we're discussing options #1 and #2 above.  Oh yeah, and if you want to play my course, you will HAVE to have an established handicap.  Don't worry, the course is open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for you to play a round with the pro, to keep score and to have your scores posted for handicap.  We have at least 3 pros available at any time during these days to accommodate anyone interested in playing a round.  "Gee Swag, I just don't have the time to do this, yada, yada, yada."  Well, that's part of the problem honestly that I see with most public courses on the weekends.  Guys out there wasting everyone else's time because they haven't ever practiced their game, and just show up on Saturday or whenever and dust off the clubs from the last time they played and expect to actually keep a ball in play.  Then they ****** about how their game sucks while playing a 5 hour round and holding everyone up behind them.

My course design would incorporate the following holes and distances:

Par 3s of 100, 115, 130, 145, 160 and 185.

Par 4s of 315, 330, 345, 360, 375 and 390.

Par 5s of 450, 465, 480, 505, 520 and 550.

Yeah, that's right.  Six of each par, and half of those holes would be short enough for the average golfer, and even the senior shorter hitters to reach par 4s easily in two and par 5s easily in three.  Don't worry.  If you think that 100 yard par 3 is too easy, you haven't seen my design.  The green would be about the size of my small bedroom in the house (10' x 12') and if you miss anywhere but short, the bunker you are in you are hitting out sideways or backwards, as it will be a true hazard and a true penalty, much like the postage stamp green's bunker is at Royal Troon.  Yeah, Rory took 6 shots to get out of it.  How will you fare?  I'd have doglegs on all the shorter par 4s and double doglegs on all the par 5s.  You want to cut the corner?  Go ahead.  Lots of water on the par 5s right about where you hot shot studs with 300 yards of carry will end up wet.  I will neuter your distance at every turn, and force you to use 14 clubs from your bag for all 18 holes.  Phil Mickelson may not approve, but GOOD!

Tournaments every other weekend at my course.  These are for both the men's and women's members.  You'll never get good at golf if you don't compete against your peers.  Tournaments are always gross and incorporate flights by your pre-established and witnessed handicapped scores.  The cost of these tournaments would be the same as the greens fees currently are, which would be free to members, plus a $10 entry fee for the kitty.  The winner of each flight takes how the cash.  And if you win flight "B", you are in flight "A" next time around.  If you are last in flight "B", you are in flight "C" next time around.

Honestly, the above is not realistic in our day and age when most folks are splitting their time 15 different ways.  I'm genuinely looking for 200 people for my type of club, where the membership fees are reasonable ($150 a month or less).  You will get in shape at my club, and you will always have a game waiting for you.  I would establish an online members only website where members could post requests for tee times, and seek pairings with fellow members.  I would also have a complete online database with all members contact information, and including handicaps.  There are no outliers or strangers at my club.  We all love golf, and we all want to play as much as possible.  Enough of the old boys club.  Everyone can play with everyone else, and there are no cliques at my club.  Be engaging with your fellow members or play somewhere else.

You are correct on that referring to The Villages. Those grumpy old farts over there may tar and feather you and possibly burn you at the stake for the mere mention of that

• Like 1