TSauer

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

18 hours ago, PMookie said:

Totally against ANY type of golf shoe as a shoe worn “off course”.

But, but True Linkswear told me different... 😭

C3D8F6B4-F341-4F73-8238-C621118FF99F.jpeg.ead45bdb42f05978724d069412dc64cc.jpeg

I have a few pairs of this exact shoe in the rotation and absolutely love them. Is it any less weird if I wear the nubs down before turning them into street shoes?

• Like 5

But, but True Linkswear told me different...  

I have a few pairs of this exact shoe in the rotation and absolutely love them. Is it any less weird if I wear the nubs down before turning them into street shoes?

Gotta agree. I just bought a pair of Adidas Crossknit 2.0 on closeout. You have to understand, my feet are jacked up. Every shoe hurts my feet. But these? Oh my, oh my. I walked 9 yesterday for the first time in 2 years, and felt good at the end.

I’m going to go buy another pair just for daily wear.

IMG_0244.JPG.cf10eb00b629b240dda7da8622d453e4.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

European tour produces all round better players than the PGA Tour. 

Play the Ryder's Cup on neutral territory, over the course of two weeks, shifting country each round. Maybe from NZ, AUS, up through Indonesia, Asia, to the Middle East and Africa. 

• Like 3

Hank Haney is highly overrated!

I’ve always said, find yourself someone who loves you as much as Hank Haney loves Hank Haney! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don't disagree that the handicap system is flawed. One of my big contentions with it for years has been match play, and how the strokes are given on the card. I think that in match play spinning off the low handicap is the wrong way to do it. The strokes should fall where they fall. 
[mention=68431]downlowkey[/mention] I have thought about this for years but have not come up with a solution. What are your thoughts on how to change it? 
It's been a few years since I've read the handicap manual, but from what I recall the reason the strokes don't fall where they fall is not because the 2 and 18 hdcp are both likely to make bogey on the first and second handicap hole, but rather because those holes represent where players of differing ability levels are furthest apart in average score. So even when you play off the low ball that should still be true (if the committee handicapped the course by the USGA manual instead of just hardest-easiest or longest-shortest).

I was handicap chair at my club for a couple years and really got in the weeds of what it says you're supposed to do. It's not perfect by any means but anyone who delves into it does come away with an appreciation of how much effort the USGA puts into trying to have an equitable system. I guess if everyone feels like they're getting screwed then it's probably pretty fair.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6

Fixing the handicap system is a topic that probably deserves its own thread. Match play net scoring is my real bugaboo. Because the format is a very large bracket competition in our men’s group, it starts very early in the season. Last time I entered as a rusty +2.5 (committee rounded +3.0) and drew a 35 handicap in the first round. That’s a total of 38 strokes - 2 strokes on 16 holes and 3 on the two most difficult holes. I somehow manged to halve the match through 18 then lost on the first extra hole with a par against a bogey (net birdie). I _love_ matchplay but have little incentive to participate in net formats.
That's insane. I think they should always bracket handicap season long stuff so your early matches are relative ability

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 3/27/2019 at 2:45 AM, downlowkey said:

The handicap system should be abolished entirely - net score is a delusional notion.

And... You lose 90% of your players. 

I agree somewhat, but... No. 

Tour players would struggle to break even on country tracks, partially because they are used to manicured courses, partially because the green are a fraction of the size of top tier courses. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 7:00 AM, downlowkey said:

But, but True Linkswear told me different... 😭

C3D8F6B4-F341-4F73-8238-C621118FF99F.jpeg.ead45bdb42f05978724d069412dc64cc.jpeg

I have this exact same shoe with the nubs worn down.  Wish they still made them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Tour players would struggle to break even on country tracks, partially because they are used to manicured courses, partially because the green are a fraction of the size of top tier courses. 

So you don’t think they would be the course rating? I have played a course in NY where DJ has the course record of 63

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

I'm not sure about that, but I would love to see what they could do on some of the tracks I play...lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

"Pros on Goat Tracks." Wouldn't have to be name PGA Tour players; get guys at the same level of No Laying Up's Wild World of Golf.

That's a great idea! I'd watch that over the Tour...lol.

• Like 2

That's a great idea! I'd watch that over the Tour...lol.

Sign me up for the ShanksTour. No metalwoods, blades only, 80 or less compression ball, 1.5” rough, .75” fairways and 6600 yards long, and the greens rolling at 9-10.5, mostly played on links courses.
  • Like 1

I disagree. Our courses are so short compared to what they play on tour. They would destroy any course that tops out at 6600 yards no matter the condition.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I disagree. Our courses are so short compared to what they play on tour. They would destroy any course that tops out at 6600 yards no matter the condition.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah. Phil would complain and then shoot - 2.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm pretty sure that you've all heard my unpopular opinions about golf too many times already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

People on carts that play golf "for the exercise"!

Imagine that if I get to the stage where I need a cart (Electric buggy, fine) every round, I'll take up lawn bowls.

Spoken like a young guy. As much as I prefer to walk (with a push cart only) the munis I play on are always too slow and too crowded. I would only slow things down more. Especially since almost everyone else on the course is riding. And at 60 years old I just don’t move as fast or as well as I used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Gotta agree. I just bought a pair of Adidas Crossknit 2.0 on closeout. You have to understand, my feet are jacked up. Every shoe hurts my feet. But these? Oh my, oh my. I walked 9 yesterday for the first time in 2 years, and felt good at the end.

I’m going to go buy another pair just for daily wear.

IMG_0244.JPG.cf10eb00b629b240dda7da8622d453e4.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a pair of those as well, and I love them. But I have never considered wearing them just for walking around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Music on the course should be banned or played that only your cart can hear it. I don't want to  hear someone's country or rap soundtrack 3 holes over. I came to get away from everything not have someone blasting music.

• Like 7