TSauer

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

22 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

The handicap system should be abolished entirely - net score is a delusional notion.

I have no doubt that there is room for improvement in the current system, but how are two people (like you and me) supposed to play such that it is fair and I have a fighting chance to beat you, or do I just avoid playing guys like you? In our league, our HC's range from 2 to 30. If we played straight up, I'm sure many would lose interest real fast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, downlowkey said:

The handicap system should be abolished entirely - net score is a delusional notion.

Easy for a +1 handicapper to say...LOL  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, palvord said:

Holy unpopular opinion! 

Do you have any thoughts behind it that you want to share, @downlowkey?

I’ll get over it in a few weeks but always feel this way at the start of tournament season. As a plus index with a thick layer of Winter rust, the idea of giving match play strokes to a 0.0 seems ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I have no doubt that there is room for improvement in the current system, but how are two people (like you and me) supposed to play such that it is fair and I have a fighting chance to beat you, or do I just avoid playing guys like you? In our league, our HC's range from 2 to 30. If we played straight up, I'm sure many would lose interest real fast.

Golf is incredibly difficult but inherently fair. I have invested tens-of-thousands of hours in my golf game. What’s fair about a high handicapper subsequently beating me via fantasy scoring based on a hypothetical estimation of their abilities? If you’re not counting all your strokes, in my mind it’s not real golf. That said, I enjoy playing golf with individuals of all skill levels.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Easy for a +1 handicapper to say...LOL  

I’m technically a +1.8 which rounds to +2.0 for tourney scoring purposes. And I can assure you there is nothing easy about attaining/maintaining that level. I can understand why golfers on the other end of the spectrum can’t appreciate my perspective but it doesn’t make it any less valid re: the fairness doctrine.

• Like 1

I’m technically a +1.8 which rounds to +2.0 for tourney scoring purposes. And I can assure you there is nothing easy about attaining/maintaining that level. I can understand why golfers on the other end of the spectrum can’t appreciate my perspective but it doesn’t make it any less valid re: the fairness doctrine.

I used to dislike the handicap system when I was playing horseshoes “professionally”, I was giving points away like crazy.

The world tournaments didn’t have handicaps. You were put into a category based on your ringer percentages. There was always a sand bagger in the mix.

My best match in competition was 30/40 ringers. I threw a 38/40 game in practice.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Was not my intent to diminish your accomplishments at all!  I have high respect for those that can play at the level you play.  While I aspire to shoot the best gross score that I can, every time I play, I know that I cannot compete on an even scale for gross score against anyone significantly more skilled than I.  In competitive tournament play, you are striving for the win at the gross level of the championship flight.  I get that and appreciate that.  I also prefer to compete on a gross level, but I also know that I do not belong in the same flight as a scratch golfer.  I fully understand your position regarding having to give strokes to a higher handicap player as I often engage in friendly, competitive games having to give away 10-20 strokes.  On the medal play, I don't have issues with that -- I do balk when playing match play as I am at a distinct disadvantage, as are you when you have to give me 10 strokes (give or take)

47 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Was not my intent to diminish your accomplishments at all!  I have high respect for those that can play at the level you play.  While I aspire to shoot the best gross score that I can, every time I play, I know that I cannot compete on an even scale for gross score against anyone significantly more skilled than I.  In competitive tournament play, you are striving for the win at the gross level of the championship flight.  I get that and appreciate that.  I also prefer to compete on a gross level, but I also know that I do not belong in the same flight as a scratch golfer.  I fully understand your position regarding having to give strokes to a higher handicap player as I often engage in friendly, competitive games having to give away 10-20 strokes.  On the medal play, I don't have issues with that -- I do balk when playing match play as I am at a distinct disadvantage, as are you when you have to give me 10 strokes (give or take)

No offense taken, pards. Strictly from the perspective of normal distribution, it’s perfectly sensible why my thoughts on net scoring would be in the extreme minority. Because the topic is unpopular opinions, my posts and everyone’s replies all seem to be in line with the spirit of this thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't disagree that the handicap system is flawed. One of my big contentions with it for years has been match play, and how the strokes are given on the card. I think that in match play spinning off the low handicap is the wrong way to do it. The strokes should fall where they fall. 

@downlowkey I have thought about this for years but have not come up with a solution. What are your thoughts on how to change it? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I have thought about this for years but have not come up with a solution. What are your thoughts on how to change it? 

You didn't ask my opinion, but you are getting it anyway... 😉

I assume it's just a matter of time before every club and/or ball will in some way be connected to the cloud, making "big brother" tracking and HC calculation easier and HC manipulation more difficult - if you want a HC, your strokes are tracked. Blow up on the first hole so you decide you don't want to keep score? Too bad, the cloud already has your data.

How do you make the calculation or the application of the HC more fair? I'm not sure about the best answer to that, but it seems to me a more fool-proof way of eliminating HC manipulation would be a great start.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I don't disagree that the handicap system is flawed. One of my big contentions with it for years has been match play, and how the strokes are given on the card. I think that in match play spinning off the low handicap is the wrong way to do it. The strokes should fall where they fall. 

@downlowkey I have thought about this for years but have not come up with a solution. What are your thoughts on how to change it? 

Fixing the handicap system is a topic that probably deserves its own thread. Match play net scoring is my real bugaboo. Because the format is a very large bracket competition in our men’s group, it starts very early in the season. Last time I entered as a rusty +2.5 (committee rounded +3.0) and drew a 35 handicap in the first round. That’s a total of 38 strokes - 2 strokes on 16 holes and 3 on the two most difficult holes. I somehow manged to halve the match through 18 then lost on the first extra hole with a par against a bogey (net birdie). I _love_ matchplay but have little incentive to participate in net formats.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Here are 2:

1.) Totally against folks wearing golf shoes to go WATCH a golf tournament. So weird to me.

2.) Totally against ANY type of golf shoe as a shoe worn “off course”. Golf shoes have nubs, or spikes, and we don’t need those to have better traction at the mall..............
Just weird to me. Golf shoes are worn on a golf course, or practice area, then taken off and put in the trunk. Driving to the range to hit/putt? Ok. But NEVER for around town before/after a round!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

You didn't ask my opinion, but you are getting it anyway... 😉

I assume it's just a matter of time before every club and/or ball will in some way be connected to the cloud, making "big brother" tracking and HC calculation easier and HC manipulation more difficult - if you want a HC, your strokes are tracked. Blow up on the first hole so you decide you don't want to keep score? Too bad, the cloud already has your data.

How do you make the calculation or the application of the HC more fair? I'm not sure about the best answer to that, but it seems to me a more fool-proof way of eliminating HC manipulation would be a great start.

You are probably correct. But what to do in the meantime...

28 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Fixing the handicap system is a topic that probably deserves its own thread. Match play net scoring is my real bugaboo. Because the format is a very large bracket competition in our men’s group, it starts very early in the season. Last time I entered as a rusty +2.5 (committee rounded +3.0) and drew a 35 handicap in the first round. That’s a total of 38 strokes - 2 strokes on 16 holes and 3 on the two most difficult holes. I somehow manged to halve the match through 18 then lost on the first extra hole with a par against a bogey (net birdie). I _love_ matchplay but have little incentive to participate in net formats.

Yea, it probably does deserve it's own thread. Giving up that many strokes it is near impossible. Flights work great but I understand they are not in every event. For match play (with enough golfers) the best way I have seen is to break it up in flights and then play gross. It doesn't work for all events but if there are enough golfers and you can make the flights close enough it works great. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I would agree with strokes as they fall for match play, but I don't think the amount of strokes for match play should be based on a handicap that's established with stroke play.  It's particularly harder on the lower handicap player as the handicap difference widens.  Not a big issue when we're talking 2-3 strokes difference, but when you have a 3 handicap player giving 20 strokes to a 23 handicapper, it's just way out of balance.  Match play handicaps should be 75-80% of stroke play handicap (or some similar system) because match play doesn't account for those blowup holes that drive handicaps upward.  JMO

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

You are probably correct. But what to do in the meantime...

Excellent question... 

3 hours ago, downlowkey said:

I’ll get over it in a few weeks but always feel this way at the start of tournament season. As a plus index with a thick layer of Winter rust, the idea of giving match play strokes to a 0.0 seems ridiculous.

Golf is incredibly difficult but inherently fair. I have invested tens-of-thousands of hours in my golf game. What’s fair about a high handicapper subsequently beating me via fantasy scoring based on a hypothetical estimation of their abilities? If you’re not counting all your strokes, in my mind it’s not real golf. That said, I enjoy playing golf with individuals of all skill levels.

Thank you for sharing this, as it is not something I have ever considered.

It makes complete sense to feel as if your hard work is almost a penalty for you in net events.  I am not sure as to what a good solution to the problem is, but I can understand where someone in your shoes finds it a problem.

Golf and possibly bowling are the only two sports that come to my  mind where there is an effort made to level the playing field to give everyone a chance of winning.  

• Like 1

Here are 2:

1.) Totally against folks wearing golf shoes to go WATCH a golf tournament. So weird to me.

2.) Totally against ANY type of golf shoe as a shoe worn “off course”. Golf shoes have nubs, or spikes, and we don’t need those to have better traction at the mall..............
Just weird to me. Golf shoes are worn on a golf course, or practice area, then taken off and put in the trunk. Driving to the range to hit/putt? Ok. But NEVER for around town before/after a round!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So... what about all of the basketball shoes at the mall or on the sideline at a football game? Or basketball golf shoes?

I agree though. Weird.
  • Like 2

I agree. As an example if you're racing sailboats (not identical ones) the "handicap" - what racers call "ratings" is on the boat and not the skipper. It would be like having handicaps based on your drivers/irons/putter. The golf index is a much fairer system.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

You asked!!

Golf is a skills game

Over a 12 handicap dont need fitted, need lessons

Music don't belong on the course

It ain't a take ALL DAY game

Dont need to lazer/gps inside 75 yrds or over 250

• Like 3
  • Love 1