Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf prices

I think one issue is that if one wants to get fitted for clubs, they usually have to go with the current models. Maybe some independent club fitters do offer older models, but I haven't met one as yet. Our club has fitting sessions all season long with the popular OEMs. I've attended a Taylormade driver fitting and the only options were the M-5 and M-6. I've never had a fitting at Dick's but since they usually have some of last year's models in stock, they might do fittings for those clubs as well as the "latest and greatest". 

I do think it's important to have clubs that are properly fit. One less expensive way to do it is to pay for a fitting session and then buy the club (or clubs) from one of the many pre-owned sites online. I usually do this with drivers. Sometimes it takes awhile to find what you want, but it will save some bucks.

Edited by Hoganman1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

18 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I think one issue is that if one wants to get fitted for clubs, they usually have to go with the current models. Maybe some independent club fitters do offer older models, but I haven't met one as yet. Our club has fitting sessions all season long with the popular OEMs. I've attended a Taylormade driver fitting and the only options were the M-5 and M-6. I've never had a fitting at Dick's but since they usually have some of last year's models in stock, they might do fittings for those clubs as well as the "latest and greatest". 

I do think it's important to have clubs that are properly fit. One less expensive way to do it is to pay for a fitting session and then buy the club (or clubs) from one of the many pre-owned sites online. I usually do this with drivers. Sometimes it takes awhile to find what you want, but it will save some bucks.

Why would an OEM fitter/rep carry older product? You wouldn’t go to a new car dealer looking to buy a 2017 car in 2019. So yes finding older equipment to get fit for is going to be hard and maybe even harder to find the specs as you mentioned with the driver when searching the pre owned sites. Getting fit at a big box store is rolling the dice imo.

if I’m dropping $100+ on a fitting (going rate for most independent shops in DC) or the cost of what’s at CC or TruSpec I’m not looking to get older equipment because in some cases (mostly irons) the sound, feel, performance won’t be the same. Example AP2 from 714, 716, 718 all felt and sound different and I prefer the 718 over the 716 and those over the 714. Similar with Srixon z series

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

26 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

One less expensive way to do it is to pay for a fitting session and then buy the club (or clubs) from one of the many pre-owned sites online

Doesn't make sense. Pay for a fitting and then go buy un-fitted clubs from a pre-own'd website. How does that work? Do you get these clubs sent to you and then you take them out in the garage and disassemble them - and start rebuilding them with proper weight, shaft replacements and or adjusting the length, grip size, loft and lie, etc. Sounds like to me that in order to do that you'd have to be a club fitter yourself. I'm not.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour