TESTERS WANTED! ×

I have always been what would be on the low end of the strength spectrum if one existed. In fact the first time I played with what we become my father in law he said I was proof that you didn't need to be strong to hit the golf ball far. An old school take for sure. The smart golfers now realize that strength and conditioning is an integral part of the game. I have always been in decent shape merely by staying active, golf, skiing, hunting, baseball/softball etc. but strength has never been a strong suit. That is all about to change. 

Last May I was playing softball and my back seized up, could barely walk, couldn't tie my shoes, barely slept and was just overall miserable. Chiropractor and rest helped me to a point. I have been able to play but it is still a lingering issue. I can still barely walk 18 holes as the back will just not cooperate. Twice last year it seized again and then 3 weeks ago the morning of a tournament it did it again. I am sick of it. I am trying to become competitive in this crazy game and get my index down to scratch. This will not happen if the back is not 100%. 

So based on the recommendation of my Chiropractor some sort of strength training is necessary. I started looking for a specific program that would not only help with strength but also had a golf basis to it. I found Mike Carroll on twitter and started following him, @fit_for_golf on there, he posts very good information and breaks some of the myths that are out there in regards to strength training and golf. The reviews I have seen have all been very positive. For those of you that listen to the Chasing Scratch podcast, which is highly entertaining, he made an appearance on there this season. And if his program can help those two guys it can help anybody 😂. Based on that podcast it solidified my decision to start his program and do something to not only relieve back pain but increase club head speed. 

The program I purchased is the Fit For Golf 101,  https://t.co/igeqrAVn1A  it is a beginner program and what I believe is a very good starting point for myself. He also is running a current promotion that includes his golf warm up manual for free if you purchase before May 27th. The program is a 12 week program, 3 days a week and from what I can tell so far can mostly be done at home, which is a nice perk.

My two major goals are to remove all back pain and increase CHS. I am confident that with a full commitment from me this program will accomplish both goals. I will continue to update this thread as I progress through the program. I am 6'3" 200 lbs with a driver CHS of 106-108, my hope is to be 180 with more strength and a CHS of 115. 

Here's to no more pain, more consistency and longer drives!

**Will be starting next week as I have a tourney this weekend and isn't it a rule with every diet/exercise program you have to have a weekend of splurging first 😉

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I have always been what would be on the low end of the strength spectrum if one existed. In fact the first time I played with what we become my father in law he said I was proof that you didn't need to be strong to hit the golf ball far. An old school take for sure. The smart golfers now realize that strength and conditioning is an integral part of the game. I have always been in decent shape merely by staying active, golf, skiing, hunting, baseball/softball etc. but strength has never been a strong suit. That is all about to change. 

Last May I was playing softball and my back seized up, could barely walk, couldn't tie my shoes, barely slept and was just overall miserable. Chiropractor and rest helped me to a point. I have been able to play but it is still a lingering issue. I can still barely walk 18 holes as the back will just not cooperate. Twice last year it seized again and then 3 weeks ago the morning of a tournament it did it again. I am sick of it. I am trying to become competitive in this crazy game and get my index down to scratch. This will not happen if the back is not 100%. 

So based on the recommendation of my Chiropractor some sort of strength training is necessary. I started looking for a specific program that would not only help with strength but also had a golf basis to it. I found Mike Carroll on twitter and started following him, @fit_for_golf on there, he posts very good information and breaks some of the myths that are out there in regards to strength training and golf. The reviews I have seen have all been very positive. For those of you that listen to the Chasing Scratch podcast, which is highly entertaining, he made an appearance on there this season. And if his program can help those two guys it can help anybody 😂. Based on that podcast it solidified my decision to start his program and do something to not only relieve back pain but increase club head speed. 

The program I purchased is the Fit For Golf 101,  https://t.co/igeqrAVn1A  it is a beginner program and what I believe is a very good starting point for myself. He also is running a current promotion that includes his golf warm up manual for free if you purchase before May 27th. The program is a 12 week program, 3 days a week and from what I can tell so far can mostly be done at home, which is a nice perk.

My two major goals are to remove all back pain and increase CHS. I am confident that with a full commitment from me this program will accomplish both goals. I will continue to update this thread as I progress through the program. I am 6'3" 200 lbs with a driver CHS of 106-108, my hope is to be 180 with more strength and a CHS of 115. 

Here's to no more pain, more consistency and longer drives!

**Will be starting next week as I have a tourney this weekend and isn't it a rule with every diet/exercise program you have to have a weekend of splurging first 😉

I got a targeted ad for this on Instagram and saw your comment on the post. Good luck dude I hope you stick with it and reach your goal!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

2 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I got a targeted ad for this on Instagram and saw your comment on the post. Good luck dude I hope you stick with it and reach your goal!

Thanks, I am not on IG it is an impostor!

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

11 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Thanks, I am not on IG it is an impostor!

Oops, I saw it on Twitter... because... you retweeted it. LOL I promise I'm not brain dead!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

You should also look for someone who could do a tpi assessment on your swing to see specific limitations. I had a habit of over extending my lower back. Need to make a point of feeling like my back is tucked and engaging core. That was restricting hip rotation and forcing my t spine to compensate which would lead to some back pain. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

8 hours ago, BMart519 said:

You should also look for someone who could do a tpi assessment on your swing to see specific limitations. I had a habit of over extending my lower back. Need to make a point of feeling like my back is tucked and engaging core. That was restricting hip rotation and forcing my t spine to compensate which would lead to some back pain. 

He is tpi certified and something I will look at doing after I am 100%. 

First week done and no issues so far. Down 8 lbs. The program is 3 days/week and I have added super speed and straight core work on off days. The first level of exercises is not as intense as I was expecting. It is definitely a beginner program in that regard but also allows me to do it without fear of back trouble. Some of the stretches and mobility aspects are great for the swing. 

Thanks for sharing the info , I was starting to research golf specific work outs, trying to become fitter and more flexible to keep improving my game, going to check this out.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

@THEZIPR23 good on you for trying to get healthier and stronger. Obviously as you get stronger, continued work to keep you swing the same is a necessity. I've been weight training for the last 8 months, and have put on 10lbs of muscle and cut down about 3% body fat. I would encourage you to get a smart scale and measure your overall metrics like body fat %, muscle % and water % because being 180 is nice, but if your diet isn't protein heavy enough you could be limiting your strength gains and restricting muscle growth. By no means am I a bodybuilder, but I was once weight number obsessed, but now, I've realized, its more about how i feel, how i look, and the metrics behind it. It wasn't until i got a smart scale that I realized, I was 205 with 172lbs of muscle, so for me to desire to be 185, i would have to be at 5% bodyfat to not lose muscle. 

TLDR; try getting a smart scale if you don't already, and make sure your "target" is not meaning you have to cut a ton of muscle, or be on the unhealthy side of body fat.

Again, good on you for making your health a priority.

6 hours ago, PSULions11 said:

@THEZIPR23 good on you for trying to get healthier and stronger. Obviously as you get stronger, continued work to keep you swing the same is a necessity. I've been weight training for the last 8 months, and have put on 10lbs of muscle and cut down about 3% body fat. I would encourage you to get a smart scale and measure your overall metrics like body fat %, muscle % and water % because being 180 is nice, but if your diet isn't protein heavy enough you could be limiting your strength gains and restricting muscle growth. By no means am I a bodybuilder, but I was once weight number obsessed, but now, I've realized, its more about how i feel, how i look, and the metrics behind it. It wasn't until i got a smart scale that I realized, I was 205 with 172lbs of muscle, so for me to desire to be 185, i would have to be at 5% bodyfat to not lose muscle. 

TLDR; try getting a smart scale if you don't already, and make sure your "target" is not meaning you have to cut a ton of muscle, or be on the unhealthy side of body fat.

Again, good on you for making your health a priority.

You are correct weight is just a number. I know there is at least 20 extra lbs to remove or turn into muscle. I have never been weight centric. Once I feel like I am in a good position I probably won't even step on a scale. 

On 6/2/2019 at 4:08 AM, Jbmullin said:

Thanks for sharing the info , I was starting to research golf specific work outs, trying to become fitter and more flexible to keep improving my game, going to check this out.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sorry I missed this. From the programs I have seen and the reviews that I read this had the best of both worlds. I am not sure about CHS increases yet but I can tell you that in the almost 2 weeks that I have in, I am playing the most consistent that I ever have in my life. Whether that is the program or just where I am at with my game I can’t tell for sure, but it seems like a very unlikely coincidence. Warming up takes less time and there has been no fatigue at any point in my rounds. 

3/4 of the first level is done. I was able to get on a trackman Saturday and while there was no CHS increase it is easier to achieve what was my max CHS previously. Most importantly I have played 8 rounds with no back pain or fatigue at all (knock on wood). The biggest thing I have noticed is that I am striking the ball much more consistently. 69-76 has been the range of scores, which for me is a much tighter gap than before. I generally have always been one to shoot 1 low score 2 high scores or 2 low scores and 1 low one. Happy with the progress so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Started the second set of exercises last night. It is amazing what you can do just with body weight. Intensity level is similar to the first set, just a different variety. 

One thing I can say without a doubt, this program has made everything golf easier as well as just everyday health. It takes less time to warm up, there is no pain after the round or fatigue during. Yes some of that is due to just working out in general but the moves of this program is very golf specific. I played 27 holes on Friday for the first time since my back went out with no issues.

If you are looking for an exercise program to help with golf I don't think you will a find a better program especially for the price. Full recommend from me at this point. 

Sounds like fantastic results so far. I work out at a gym 4 to 5 times a week that does high intensity interval training, with weights, similar to P90X and it's definitely helped me with my game. At 43, I'm healthier than I've ever been and I also hit the ball further than I ever have. I know one area I need to focus on more is my flexibility though. I may need to check out Fit For Golf as a supplement to what I'm already doing.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

For anyone interested Mike is doing a 4th of July sale. 

fitforgolf.blog

Enter 4JULY2019 at check out. 

Great program at a decent discount. 

On 7/2/2019 at 5:48 AM, chershey said:

Sounds like fantastic results so far. I work out at a gym 4 to 5 times a week that does high intensity interval training, with weights, similar to P90X and it's definitely helped me with my game. At 43, I'm healthier than I've ever been and I also hit the ball further than I ever have. I know one area I need to focus on more is my flexibility though. I may need to check out Fit For Golf as a supplement to what I'm already doing.

For reference I am 42 and hitting the ball as far if not farther than in my early 20's.

I did P90X about 8 years ago. For a total body workout I haven't seen a better one. Very intense though.

One thing that Mike preaches is that flexibility is good but not the end all be all in golf. He focuses more on separation between upper body and lower body. Creating the separation increases CHS. 

He is working on more programs and one thing that I have asked him to include is some more stretching routines. 

I've been seeing more of his posts since I started following TPI on Twitter and am intrigued by what I've seen so far. I lift 3-4 days a week and it has definitely helped me on the course, but I would like to do some golf specific work so I may check FFG out!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

On 7/3/2019 at 10:52 AM, mr.hicksta said:

I've been seeing more of his posts since I started following TPI on Twitter and am intrigued by what I've seen so far. I lift 3-4 days a week and it has definitely helped me on the course, but I would like to do some golf specific work so I may check FFG out!

Anddddddd, I bought the offseason program today to supplement my current weight training regiment. I hit up Mike on Twitter and he was really quick to answer all my questions. I'm going to get started next week so I'm excited to see how it goes. @THEZIPR23 if you don't mind, I'd like to share my thoughts about the program in this thread!

Absolutely. Looking forward to it. 

I'm kicking FFG off today with Phase 1: Workout A. I'm using it as a mobility supplement to the training I already do so I'm excited to see what kind of progression there is over the course of the program. The only change I'm tracking is swing speed, and I certainly have room for improvement there so let the games begin!

So I did my first session on Monday, and enjoyed the hell out of it! I really like the golf specific movements and the sessions are a nice supplement to what I'm already doing, which is why I signed up in the first place. Mike is also super responsive on the app and Twitter, which indicates to me that he wants to make sure customers are getting their monies worth. I'm going to get my baseline swing speed this weekend and will likely be updating it every couple weeks or so. Hooray for faster club head speed!

He definitely is responsive. It’s an old school concept but it’s almost like he cares if we are successful 😄

As a golf specific trainer I’m glad to see more and more people getting involved in the fitness side of their game. It can unlock so much potential and for many will make the sport so much more enjoyable while helping them to play longer with less fatigue!

Great job guys and keep that determination!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Got through my first week, and while some of the movements (the jumps) are different than what I’ve already been doing, I really think this will help long term. Just gotta stay consistent these next few months!

While adding this to the rotation with my current training may be a bit much, I'm really enjoying it. I've tried several 'golf specific' training programs in the past and to be frank, they were all garbage compared to FFG. What I find most impressive about FFG is how well organized it is, and how the well the exercises flow during the workouts. I actually hit Mike up to see if he had any longer training programs and he doesn't right now, but he's moving towards a subscription based plan and will be updating the site with a power specific program early next year. So for now I'm going to make good use of the Off Season Program even though I don't technically have one and I'm hoping I'll see some positive changes moving forward. And for anyone looking for a comprehensive training program to support your golf game, look no further. This is about as good as it gets for the cost and it's suitable for a wide range of golfers!

• 2 weeks later...

This is with my driver and after the first month of FFG. Not too shabby!

IMG_3697.JPG

23 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

This is with my driver and after the first month of FFG. Not too shabby!

IMG_3697.JPG

Should have asked you this on Twitter, but what baseline speed did you start at before FFG?

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I purchased the FFG offseason program during the 4th of July sale.

I'm looking forward to beginning the program and seeing what it can do for my game. I'm working through some shoulder concerns before beginning the program in earnest.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Should have asked you this on Twitter, but what baseline speed did you start at before FFG?

The last I checked it was around 105ish, and that was about 2 months before starting FFG.