4 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Have you been on a LM lately? Curious as to if you have seen any CHS increase. 

Mine is up about 3-5mph, but it is easier to achieve max chs and it is fun listening to my playing partners complain about me going to the gym. 

I haven't, but I'm going to get on one when I'm in VA later this month. Tracking CHS has been the only thing I've been inconsistent with, but I'm going to track it regularly my next time through the program for sure. Based on what I saw when I had an SC200, I picked up around the same amount (105ish to around 110ish). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

I haven't, but I'm going to get on one when I'm in VA later this month. Tracking CHS has been the only thing I've been inconsistent with, but I'm going to track it regularly my next time through the program for sure. Based on what I saw when I had an SC200, I picked up around the same amount (105ish to around 110ish). 

Beautiful. 5 mph doesn't sound like a lot but it's close to 15 yards. (IRC 1 mph=2.8 yards everything staying equal) Can't really find that anywhere. 

FFG is legit!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Beautiful. 5 mph doesn't sound like a lot but it's close to 15 yards. (IRC 1 mph=2.8 yards everything staying equal) Can't really find that anywhere. 

FFG is legit!

Glad I continue to read such great reviews. I will be starting in October. If I could go from 100-105 to 105-110 that would be huge for my game (assuming I remember how to keep it near the fairway again).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, edingc said:

Glad I continue to read such great reviews. I will be starting in October. If I could go from 100-105 to 105-110 that would be huge for my game (assuming I remember how to keep it near the fairway again).

If you commit to it I don't see that as a difficult jump. The biggest benefit I have found is not necessarily the CHS but the ease at which it is to swing. Much easier to achieve same results without "working" at it. Plus warm up is way easier and after the round I am not tired. 

• Like 2

Finally purchased the offseason workout today after listening to Mike on the Golf 360 podcast. He is currently running a discount with code 75 at checkout to get either his programs for $75. (Available to the first 75 purchasers only.)

Initial impressions are very good. It's a well thought out program with great videos demonstrating the movements. Looks to be easily doable in the 90 minutes I have available three days a week.

Not 100 percent sure when I will start. Being that it is a 12 week program, starting in October would give me time to run it through twice before the beginning of next golf season.

The Golf 360 podcast with him is very long, but there were a lot of great nuggets in there about physical fitness and golf. Good listen for those who are into that kind of thing.

• Like 2

This is a very interesting topic and one I've been focusing on more, now that I'm getting out to the course or range more frequently.

For those that don't want to buy a program, but are comfortable in a gym, what tips would you give? What targeted muscle groups might you focus on more so than others? Any lessons you have learned so far without going into specifics of the program?

For me, personally, I've stepped away from pure muscle growth for the sake of bulking up (eg: bicep curls and bench press), and started to do more core related exercises - cable routines with twists that breakdown a swing and strengthen my abs, obliques, shoulders, hips, glutes, and lower back. I've noticed it's helped fatigue over the course of a round so far. Look forward to your feedback!

2 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

This is a very interesting topic and one I've been focusing on more, now that I'm getting out to the course or range more frequently.

For those that don't want to buy a program, but are comfortable in a gym, what tips would you give? What targeted muscle groups might you focus on more so than others? Any lessons you have learned so far without going into specifics of the program?

For me, personally, I've stepped away from pure muscle growth for the sake of bulking up (eg: bicep curls and bench press), and started to do more core related exercises - cable routines with twists that breakdown a swing and strengthen my abs, obliques, shoulders, hips, glutes, and lower back. I've noticed it's helped fatigue over the course of a round so far. Look forward to your feedback!

If you are on twitter follow @fitforgolf. He always post exercises. As for the program rotational exercises and explosive exercises are what have stuck out to me.  You are on the right track focusing on those muscles.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Curious, were you already doing squats and deadlifts as part of your previous programming? Mike still definitely favors being strong in golf per the Golf360 podcast I was listening to. His exercises do focus on a lot of rotational strength, but to paraphrase what he said during the podcast, a overall strong person who can move significant weight in the main exercises (squat, deadlift, bench, etc.) has a lot of potential for more speed in the swing.

For those who are significantly strong already, he recommended overspeed-type training (SuperSpeed) to unlock that additional speed. For those who are weaker, he recommended more gym time adding to the amount of weight lifted. For most, this will be a combination of the two. 

For me, this means I need to focus on lifting heavier things. I'm not weak (well, not as weak as I was in the past), but adding weight to my deadlifts, squats and bench has the potential to help me more moving into next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Curious, were you already doing squats and deadlifts as part of your previous programming? Mike still definitely favors being strong in golf per the Golf360 podcast I was listening to. His exercises do focus on a lot of rotational strength, but to paraphrase what he said during the podcast, a overall strong person who can move significant weight in the main exercises (squat, deadlift, bench, etc.) has a lot of potential for more speed in the swing.

For those who are significantly strong already, he recommended overspeed-type training (SuperSpeed) to unlock that additional speed. For those who are weaker, he recommended more gym time adding to the amount of weight lifted. For most, this will be a combination of the two. 

For me, this means I need to focus on lifting heavier things. I'm not weak (well, not as weak as I was in the past), but adding weight to my deadlifts, squats and bench has the potential to help me more moving into next season.

Yep, I've always done squats, deadlift, bench, and shoulder press as my "main 4." Maybe I should look at the overspeed piece and some more explosive movements. I was talking to our gym director/head trainer this morning and he gave me a few explosive types exercises to work on swing speed. One was using a big rubber band secured down low and with arms down low and rotated body to the right, you then explode up and out, swinging the arms from low-right to high-left (like a golf swing follow-thru) and rotating hips and torso to get that explosive power. 

Also started reading a lot about the "hip hinge" and working on movements that add weight/power to that motion (aka: deadlift, among others). Would think Kettle bell swings would also be a good movement to add back into rotation since that's an explosive hip-hinge movement that also works shoulder strength.

The last thing that I don't think @edingc or @THEZIPR23 mentioned was flexibility. Does Mike advocate for yoga/pilates work mixed into weight training? Going to look at adding that into my mix as well to stave off injury and keep all joints and ligaments loose!

EDIT: Ha, just saw this article in my feed and I definitely fall into the "body mass" category @ 6'4" 235, but good to keep in mind for those that want to lose weight... https://www.golf.com/instruction/fitness/2019/09/23/two-different-kinds-of-golf-swings-fitness/

Edited by Tarheelvolvo
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Yep, I've always done squats, deadlift, bench, and shoulder press as my "main 4." Maybe I should look at the overspeed piece and some more explosive movements. I was talking to our gym director/head trainer this morning and he gave me a few explosive types exercises to work on swing speed. One was using a big rubber band secured down low and with arms down low and rotated body to the right, you then explode up and out, swinging the arms from low-right to high-left (like a golf swing follow-thru) and rotating hips and torso to get that explosive power. 

Also started reading a lot about the "hip hinge" and working on movements that add weight/power to that motion (aka: deadlift, among others). Would think Kettle bell swings would also be a good movement to add back into rotation since that's an explosive hip-hinge movement that also works shoulder strength.

The last thing that I don't think @edingc or @THEZIPR23 mentioned was flexibility. Does Mike advocate for yoga/pilates work mixed into weight training? Going to look at adding that into my mix as well to stave off injury and keep all joints and ligaments loose!

EDIT: Ha, just saw this article in my feed and I definitely fall into the "body mass" category @ 6'4" 235, but good to keep in mind for those that want to lose weight... https://www.golf.com/instruction/fitness/2019/09/23/two-different-kinds-of-golf-swings-fitness/

He doesn't but he doesn't say it won't help either. He advocates for strength first to help support joints ligaments etc. For example he focuses on increased separation between spine and pelvis. It both strengthens and improves flexibility. 

• Like 3

Just got Mike's email blast about the upcoming program he's releasing that incorporates the SuperSpeed training. The biggest news from my perspective? The opening week pricing for it is going to be $49. In all honesty, the price of the programs is the biggest thing that kept me from pulling the trigger before, but I'm pretty strongly leaning to getting in on this one for my off-season work this winter.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Just got Mike's email blast about the upcoming program he's releasing that incorporates the SuperSpeed training. The biggest news from my perspective? The opening week pricing for it is going to be $49. In all honesty, the price of the programs is the biggest thing that kept me from pulling the trigger before, but I'm pretty strongly leaning to getting in on this one for my off-season work this winter.

He is also running a special on the off season program right now. He has somewhere around 45 left @ $75. It's a huge bang for the buck. It really is only a couple of dozen golf balls.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Read your D7 Stage 1. Jealous of the 6'4" height and your swing speed, you can certainly generate a lot of power with that build.

At the moment I'm 6'0", 165, down from 250+ in my early teens and 220 during my competitive baseball days. I'm still learning how to generate more speed with my current frame. I never was "strong," (always preferred a 31"/28oz bat) but I could move my mass around to generate more power. I don't have that extra mass to move now, so I need to get back in the gym this winter and add some more muscle.

Regarding your post on flexibility: There is some flexibility work in his programs, but no where near the amount as say a yoga or pilates program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edingc said:

Read your D7 Stage 1. Jealous of the 6'4" height and your swing speed, you can certainly generate a lot of power with that build.

At the moment I'm 6'0", 165, down from 250+ in my early teens and 220 during my competitive baseball days. I'm still learning how to generate more speed with my current frame. I never was "strong," (always preferred a 31"/28oz bat) but I could move my mass around to generate more power. I don't have that extra mass to move now, so I need to get back in the gym this winter and add some more muscle.

Regarding your post on flexibility: There is some flexibility work in his programs, but no where near the amount as say a yoga or pilates program.

Haha, my size has it's advantages sometimes 😉 Also, check that link I posted talking about Mass vs. Rotational swing types. Might be a good idea to look at changing your swing up with your new, slimmer self. Keep in mind that Rory can hit the ball farther than Dustin, yet is a good 7" shorter and much less mass.

I finished the Fit For Golf Offseason program last week and I thoroughly enjoyed the training! I'm in limbo while I wait for Mike's new programming, but I can't recommend his training enough. It can work for anyone who is willing to put in the time, and while I didn't measure my swing speed regularly, based on what I did test I picked up around 5 MPH so it definitely works! From what I've seen on social media, the new training is even more flexible in terms of where it can be completed, which makes it a top option for those who don't have easy access to a gym. To top all that off, Mike is very accessible and truly wants to make sure everyone has a good experience. I'm a Fit For Golf #fanboi for real, but if it wasn't good, I wouldn't be so excited about it! 

• Like 2

I finally started the offseason program tonight (well a dry run, so to speak, planning on starting a new routine next Monday), and it is no joke! I haven't been in the gym since spring because I focused on range time instead, and I'm definitely going to feel it in the morning.

I really hope the program helps with my hip and lower back mobility. I can tell I sit at a desk all day. The exercises that isolated those areas really show just how inflexible I am.

• Like 2