Tomkgolf

What flex is your shaft?

I'm used to playing a stiff in my driver even though my SS is in the low 90's, but recently switched over to a regular shaft and noticed control issues. Can a shaft bow too much during impact that shots have a mind of their own?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So, Stiff Flex Graphite in Driver, 4 wood, and my 4.5 iron. R+ from KBS in irons and wedges for that better launch. It's all about hitting the right launches for what works in your game.

• Like 1

X tipped in the driver and hybrid, X in the irons and s400 in the wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My swing speed is on the lower end of the X spectrum but I still run X driver thru gap wedge and S400 in sand and lob wedges.  I get plenty of launch and spin and I prefer a strong stable feel in a shaft, if I can feel the shaft flex I can't work with it. 

10 hours ago, Jweck21 said:

My swing speed is on the lower end of the X spectrum but I still run X driver thru gap wedge and S400 in sand and lob wedges.  I get plenty of launch and spin and I prefer a strong stable feel in a shaft, if I can feel the shaft flex I can't work with it. 

... This is the interesting but still complex formula for playing a shaft that both fits your swing but also feels right. I am only around 100mph swing speed but the complete opposite when choosing a shaft. I play Stiff flex shafts but prefer R flex in my wedges and if I can't feel the shaft flex I cannot work with it. My timing and tempo depends on the flex thru impact and if the shaft is too stiff, I start swinging harder to feel that shaft bend and that never works for me. My son is like you with tipped DGX100's in his irons/wedges and a Nunchuk in his driver that has zero bend. 

• Like 3

To echo chisag, I believe tip section stiffness and overall shaft weight are more important than just the flex. I’m really happy with my shafts now. Hogan Apex 4 stiff shafts which are mid-weight but with an active tip section. I’m hitting my irons high and long with these shafts. It’s been a number of years since I could hit a 195 yard 4-iron but that shot is now back for me.

In my woods, which are persimmon by the way, I have a Dynamic Gold S300 in the 3-wood which flies lower for more distance and an R400 in my 5-wood which launches higher and lands softer. My driver, also persimmon, has an unmarked graphite shaft from the 80’s. More than likely a higher weight 80+ gram or so shaft. I don’t know what it is exactly but it’s a cannon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:04 PM, Tomkgolf said:

I was previously playing with a taylormade R15 driver 10.5° for which I was hitting terrible 90% of the time(hooks, slices and short) . This was before I realised what shaft flex it was so when I checked the shaft I realised it was a L flex. I was able to trade it in for a stiff flex Titleist 915 D2 driver and this sorted my problems out. What flex shaft do you use? Do other shafts mess your tee shots up? Let me know 🙂

I play a stiff flex shaft, and to me the shaft is the engine of the club. It's more important than the club head itself. Without the proper shaft, you won't hit good shots consistently. Put any club head on a shaft that's fitted to you, and any club head will produce. Put any shaft on any club head and you won't produce.

MY Driver SS is 108 and 6i is 90. I play "mid to low launch" shafts with the following specs:

Driver    265 cpm (butt)   75 gms    D6    44.5"

3w         265 cpm (1/2" tip)   85 gms   D6     43.5

5w         265 cpm (1" tip)    85 gms     D6     43"

4-PW     320 cpm              115-125 g    D6     Std

I look for a very specific feel and NEVER look at the letter on the shaft. Depending on the shaft, it could be anything from an X to an R. I use shafts from every manufacturer in drivers. I have Oban, Fuji, Project-X, Aldila, Diamana, and several others. I just focus on having similar specs and look for similar feel. I also like to have torque ratings in the 3.2 to 2.5 range because it can influence the feel of the shaft considerably. Yes, I know there is no standard for torque measurement, but they tend to be somewhat close. I find lower torque allows me to use a more flexible shaft and get the same feel I'm looking for. I had always heard that we should use the most flexible shaft we can control, so this seems to work best for me.

BT

With a very very exceptions, I play Alda Soft-regular n my clubs.  The exceptions may be changed soon.

Everything is now stiff, from driver to wedges.

I play regular flex in all of my clubs.  I tried stiff flex in my driver and was spraying it all over the place and it was very inconsistent.  Switched back to regular flex and boom, right down the middle.

I tried stiff flex in my irons and it made some god awful clacking sound.  Switch to regular flex and boom, butter.

X in driver and in irons

S in 3 wood and hybrids

I don't like to feel the shaft loading, I want rigid, rigid, rigid. If I could put the clubhead on a 2x4 I would.  haha

2 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

X in driver and in irons

S in 3 wood and hybrids

I don't like to feel the shaft loading, I want rigid, rigid, rigid. If I could put the clubhead on a 2x4 I would.  haha

... Have you ever hit a Nunchuk shaft? I put one in my sons driver and he has X100's tipped 1" in his irons. He also doesn't wanna feel any flex and the Nunchuk certainly accomplishes that. 

https://nventix.com/nunchuk-golf-shafts-products.php

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Have you ever hit a Nunchuk shaft? I put one in my sons driver and he has X100's tipped 1" in his irons. He also doesn't wanna feel any flex and the Nunchuk certainly accomplishes that. 

https://nventix.com/nunchuk-golf-shafts-products.php

I have not, I just looked them up from the link you gave me.  I would like to hit the driver shaft, but there are no places around me that carries them and at $200+ I am not going to go buy one without hitting it, unfortunately.  Is your son gaming them in everything or just irons?

... My son has only one Nunchuk in his driver and it's his favorite club because he can hit it as hard as he wants. He is a big, very strong boy at 6'3" and 235. I put Dynamic Gold X100's tipped an inch in his irons. 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, revkev said:

It's all too complicated not to get fit by a competent fitter.

Emphasis on competent.  It took me two tries to get a decent fitting at the local Golf Galaxy (long story, see the Cobra Connect Challenge 2 for the details), but they did use the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer in the second fitting.  I'm convinced that it did a great job.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, revkev said:

Also more and more OEM's are getting away from the Senior Designation (whatever letter they would use) and are calling that flex a week regular. 

And that's a good thing.  My oldest daughter plays "A" flex shafts in her irons, but then she hits my F8 driver with an S shaft.  The letters don't matter, other than for ego.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:56 AM, chisag said:

Eli Callaway went the opposite direction putting S flex labels on R flex shafts

No kidding.  I played a GBB S2H2 with the old "Firm" RCH 90 shaft for ages.  That thing was like wet spaghetti.

As for what I'm gaming now:

Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Tour Edge  HL4 Iron Wood - UST Mamiya ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )

Why is the 2 hybrid an R flex?  Operator error when I ordered it.  It's insanely light, so I've added a ton of lead tape to the head.  But now that I have the weight where I want it, I don't mind the softer shaft.  If anything, it probably helps me get the ball off the ground.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Emphasis on competent.  It took me two tries to get a decent fitting at the local Golf Galaxy (long story, see the Cobra Connect Challenge 2 for the details), but they did use the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer in the second fitting.  I'm convinced that it did a great job.

And that's a good thing.  My oldest daughter plays "A" flex shafts in her irons, but then she hits my F8 driver with an S shaft.  The letters don't matter, other than for ego.

No kidding.  I played a GBB S2H2 with the old "Firm" RCH 90 shaft for ages.  That thing was like wet spaghetti.

As for what I'm gaming now:

Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Tour Edge  HL4 Iron Wood - UST Mamiya ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )

Why is the 2 hybrid an R flex?  Operator error when I ordered it.  It's insanely light, so I've added a ton of lead tape to the head.  But now that I have the weight where I want it, I don't mind the softer shaft.  If anything, it probably helps me get the ball off the ground.

My pro in Wisconsin used to play shafts that were all over the place including an R flex in his 3 wood - he did it to launch the ball through his desired windows.

16 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

• Like 1