Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What flex is your shaft?

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

he did it to launch the ball through his desired windows.

I launched one through an undesired window once. 😖

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... Some here might remember that Fred Couples picked up a Ram deep bore 3 wood from Tom Watson's trunk and was just killing it, especially off the tee. He played it for quite awhile before Watson commented he was surprised Freddie was hitting a steel r-flex shaft so well. Freddie thought it was an x-flex and now that he knew it was r-flex* he began spraying it ll over the course. He re-shafted with an x-flex but it was never the same and he decided to go with another 3 wood. So even at the very highest level of play, it is still a mental game. 

* Rumor was the shaft was L-flex but I talked to Deborah Couples about it when she was following Freddie at the Western Open, and she confirmed it was r-flex. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

24 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Some here might remember that Fred Couples picked up a Ram deep bore 3 wood from Tom Watson's trunk and was just killing it, especially off the tee. He played it for quite awhile before Watson commented he was surprised Freddie was hitting a steel r-flex shaft so well. Freddie thought it was an x-flex and now that he knew it was r-flex* he began spraying it ll over the course. He re-shafted with an x-flex but it was never the same and he decided to go with another 3 wood. So even at the very highest level of play, it is still a mental game. 

* Rumor was the shaft was L-flex but I talked to Deborah Couples about it when she was following Freddie at the Western Open, and she confirmed it was r-flex. 

That is crazy!  This also ties into some questions I had from this thread (or another recently talking about the Mizuno shaft optimizer).  

How long does it take a person to adjust to a different shaft?  I tried one of those at a show last winter and was told no practice swings, not even a waggle.  But on the first backswing I could already tell the thing felt like a noodle.  I know I can't swing my wife's "A" flex like my S C-Tapers.  So are my optimizer results legit?  The numbers didn't really match how I imagined my swing. Is my imagination bad?  What is my natural swing?  Do I swing my current shafts naturally or have I made adjustments to them? 

I have a "Stiff" Ping Tour shaft in my driver.  I demo'd an X that was working really well.  PGATSS didn't have an X in their Ping cart but the stiff worked best from what they had.  I tried an X at a later date at another shop and it wasn't any better than the S.  Kudos to them for not trying to sell something that wouldn't help.  I did have about 50yds total difference from PGATSS (long) to the other shop (not long).  I think reality lies somewhere in between.

I have soft stepped S C-Tapers in my irons.  No idea if these are a good fit.  Some days I feel like I will take them to the grave with me, others I feel like burying them six feet under so I never have to see them again.

Wedges have Tour V S shafts.  A lighter flexier higher launching shaft in my wedges that TK designed to keep the flight down.  I don't know how much sense that makes.  But it looks like many of you also go with a softer flex in your wedges, so maybe that works just fine.

I think my putter shaft is the right flex at least...

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

... This is a pretty good video about the Optimizer with the guys from TXG:

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/blog/the-new-mizuno-shaft-optimizer-3d-how-effective-is-it/

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x