revkev

I hate to fly

IMG_1164.JPG

Not big on flying but did have a nice flight from Tampa to Minneapolis (here for a conference), yesterday.

Ironically the guy who picked us up’s car broke down driving us from the airport to the conference center. I’m the conference chaplain and I was with the organist - we arrived 10 minutes before the service, exhausted and laughing.

First, I’m glad we broke down in Minneapolis and not Tampa - no way you’re sitting in a car in Tampa in July for half an hour.

Second, I’m glad the car broke down and not the plane. :)

Who else will own up to being a nervous flyer out there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

I was a good flyer until a short hop between Kennedy and Rochester 12 years ago.

It was in the winter on a 55 minute flight when we hit a rough patch of air 20 minutes in. Captain got on the air and said “flight attendants return to your seats immediately.”

It was likely just moderate but it dropped and pitched us very unexpectedly. I’ve seen plenty of videos of people getting tossed around, this was t that severe but it shook me up.

The good thing is it hasn’t prevented me from flying. I’ve flown hundreds of hours since including a 10 hour direct between NY and Oahu and back and forth to SF and Vegas several times.

Truth is flying is incredibly safe, I just have anxiety and that’s ok.

Have a good trip

• Like 1

I really don’t like flying. Having spent some time in the Air Force I had to fly anytime I wanted to come home on leave, or go to a new duty station. 15 hours on an airplane at one time is too long. I won’t fly unless there is no other choice. I am also 6’4”, and there are no airplanes that accommodate that. 

• Like 2

Use to fly long distances when I was working (about 100,000 miles/yr). Never had an issue  - except delays on the ground. However I'm glad I don't have to do that now. Constantly decreasing seat areas, unruly passengers, and 3rd world airports (like LaGuardia) have taken the "magic' out of flying. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Truth is flying is incredibly safe, I just have anxiety and that’s ok.

I generally don't worry about flying, but always gnawing in the back of my mind are things like odds of survival if something does go horribly wrong. More than anything, I hate airports.... and airlines.... and snotty people that act like they are the center of the universe should something disrupt their plans....

• Like 4

I generally don't worry about flying, but always gnawing in the back of my mind are things like odds of survival if something does go horribly wrong. More than anything, I hate airports.... and airlines.... and snotty people that act like they are the center of the universe should something disrupt their plans....

Rude entitled people who board ahead of their group.

Or people who carry on a suitcase that should be checked.

Or people who put their overhead in the first few rows then walk to the rear of the plane and take up someone else’s space.

But let’s not go there 🤣
  • Like 3

It's not the actual plane ride that I hate, as much as it is the whole airport/airline thing.

• Like 5

It's not the actual plane ride that I hate, as much as it is the whole airport/airline thing.

Same. I’ve had far too many terrible experiences with delays, rude people, insane policies, parking issues, etc. I fly as little as possible now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hate flying.  The seats keeping getting squeezed in tighter and tighter and most airlines seem to have zero concern about their passengers unless their is an issue that gets posted to social media.

@revkev just be thankful you are flying to Minneapolis in the summer.  That's a brutal place to be in the winter!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Use to fly long distances when I was working (about 100,000 miles/yr). Never had an issue  - except delays on the ground. However I'm glad I don't have to do that now. Constantly decreasing seat areas, unruly passengers, and 3rd world airports (like LaGuardia) have taken the "magic' out of flying. 

Same.  I flew over 3 million Delta miles, plus some United and Alaska Air.  It was so much easier before 9/11.  (BTW, I was staying in Moscow during 9/11). 

One time I did NOT get a hotel wakeup call at 4:30am in Amarillo, TX (before cell phones); staying in a hotel on the other side of town from the airport.  I woke up 30 minutes before my flight was scheduled to leave.  Dressed, grabbed my bag, checked out, drove to the airport, turned in rental car, ran to the gate, and made it on time.  Try that today!!!  They even let me pee before I boarded!

I've had some harrowing flights, but in 40 years of flying I never felt unsafe.  Sat for long times in airports, missed a lot of flights, and had baggage sent to the wrong airports.   It's a necessary evil nowadays.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

Rude entitled people who board ahead of their group.

Or people who carry on a suitcase that should be checked.

Or people who put their overhead in the first few rows then walk to the rear of the plane and take up someone else’s space.

But let’s not go there 🤣

You missed one category: People who spend their waiting time in the bar drinking alcoholic beverages (and smell like it when they board. 

• Like 2

I am not a great flyer. I do it when I have to, but I definitely don't enjoy it. Strangely my biggest mental hurdles are takeoff and landing. Once we are at cruising altitude I feel pretty safe, but I definitely have butterflies when landing and taking off. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GB13 said:

I am not a great flyer. I do it when I have to, but I definitely don't enjoy it. Strangely my biggest mental hurdles are takeoff and landing. Once we are at cruising altitude I feel pretty safe, but I definitely have butterflies when landing and taking off. 

By the way - Congrats on hitting 3,000! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

By the way - Congrats on hitting 3,000! 

Thanks, I didn't even notice! I guess I just get caught up in talking (some say too much) with y'all! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The funny thing is I’m the complete opposite. Take off is fun and landing is a glide down, the cruising is where I am waiting for a giant bump.
  • Like 1

No worries for me on flying...my wife freaks out enough for the both of us, 😁😂

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bens197 said:

The funny thing is I’m the complete opposite. Take off is fun and landing is a glide down, the cruising is where I am waiting for a giant bump.

Guess you wouldn't like those long over water flights then. When we visit my daughter in Australia, it's about 15 hrs. over water from LA. 

• Like 1

I don't like flying either, but I have to take 2 long-haul trips per year to visit my folks and let them play with the kids. I'm talking 18-20 hours lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Guess you wouldn't like those long over water flights then. When we visit my daughter in Australia, it's about 15 hrs. over water from LA. 

My wife's two greatest fears...the airplane crashing into the ocean and surviving...only to get eaten by sharks😁😂😅

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

Wow of all the posts for number 3,000! :)

I take a low dose of Xanax and it helps a lot, usually one just prior to boarding and one as we start to descend.

But I had to be alert right away yesterday when i arrived so I didn’t take the descent one.

• Like 3