Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Wilson D7 Challenge

Golfspy_CG2

This review coincided with the National D7 Challenge that Wilson Staff ran through the first 3 months of the season.   To be eligible for the testing, forum members had to go to a Wilson Demo Day or local golf store and demo the D7 iron and see how much distance they gained. 

As a result the selected members received a full set of D7 irons.  This testing is also a milestone for MGS of sorts as it marks the first official club test for our women members.  So we're excited to have a couple of them chiming in on what we are sure will be some very helpful and insightful reviews. 

D7 Iron Pic.jpg

The Testers are as follows:

@Steve2100                                     Stage 1                 Stage 2

@Tarheelvolvo                                  Stage 1                 Stage 2

@JohnSmalls                                   Stage 1                  Stage 2

@GeekingGolf                                  Stage 1                   Stage 2

Our Two Female Reviewers

@GolfDorkette                                Stage 1                    Stage 2

@artful_golfer                                 Stage 1                    Stage 2

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

St

Stage 2:

Well it has  been a little over two months since UPS dropped off my box of Wilson D7 irons! Time sure flew by for me while I have been testing these irons. I am not sure if two months is an adequate time to review these clubs but early returns are that I think I will be using these clubs for awhile! I am not thrilled with every aspect of these clubs but I think the overall product is very good and I have no doubt the more I use them the better I will become.

During Stage 1 I mentioned that I would be testing the clubs at a driving range near me that is equipped with Top Tracer technology. Not unlike a Topgolf but much better since you are actually hitting onto a driving range and not a neon lighted field of blinking lights! Green Valley Driving Range in Hanover Park, Illinois is a great place to work on all facets of your game. They have 20 covered/heated stations each that provide a TopTracer unit that tracks all your shots.

44JVlZxqjRnSQYauZ1-7Mgwlx293B82Lpk852XbenHkJ27qRvIlTJfzRsp1qfx-8avTfOXe24nIRGSOWrFLCXZK5ZJXrmcZfD22X9HFKPGSac9wxPYWs7P5lAtx53DmOqd18AT1p

SKdXCmNuiqKotDOxZq3fODJfbHEiAkqYpeOey5ySBB2dOhdBhXbX1v16o5AcXvFD4gDJgsCyU6BszP9lBfbnVajstX5gEE2d38KWuWfFOKinAznkvuqLf2styxyYIfOLG2TQGO3d

These monitors keep track of all your shots and you can save all those stats on your phone thru there app so you always will have what distances you hit each club! Below is a list of each club and there yardage and other data.

9L_pnbjvlbTjJW3k-FA69eJIcdmaWlkd4UOM1SxnV-LswGxhT4Mq9TNoeG0aafkGq3mfIh1RI1D-k1akOCGaJKmSX-CQbBuG_SjCRkfF3VpSplJGLJCcash_GVHHkezBt3N-URel

1IsLljw2xXe5dIjuCRBIHcjJFHLunfNiS-79Vili21IwgtBEFs6vGMVGAl9ng8jbFOK5NblQqtF3hUnNyttPIQPNHDQn9jhSp4o_lnBeGduVs1q6T1Oam4k9Kh07JJvrgEvk0MmZ

62pWViU89927XgHbA6YOOPbcjTVqziKbQLWYktOiv2asmSZrns2I6_1qGe-InVsS9FiTLCWwIHIKlx2DnEtMvk_elRBVChbOx1GSkPEPa4_mhdM4NnbxVwSzQnlF-epkKfmiAU-l

RkQuXRy2hTRZjtKnT2SI4LKhf8tiAcQyhemxLtqaoYiZTi3XddyGcOACovHhds7pkHxa3i6792KCCf4RLGm0T8XfCse9g8pAQ3sFAiTr3-g78x2xvsDOS2bZIz3pVaVNjk9qTIxN

_QQaH8-EWrT-RVPGULkPwIKepJQftrOTlGt9eVp0DbXN5GsxE4fmgMjNjKAGhJQfRk2p3Mv4U1PwYxt3aVGunLEBmny76Qs3Ixd9HHZdqBKPCiWEJgw-WPIV59-yP0YyyTYpx73J

p4qFGodC39VriJ0ZP5SsfP8CWYEPJIatY1Nps4bRR_DSSAzCQyVstVhduDBzboyyZrpIDs3I3nhFOw-xM-ZkLhgTBsWdu8M4OaCR9F_0tUAnxFOl_sTkWgCbUwyRzb4DPAX6brrR

CM5BvNjTPN8NWRczUVQN9XbjcuzTKnOno-NkLZUf2sKK5XpsDydLyPQm3qBJHaGHOjHlDO7fZXxdnN1jDrduhoJXWiY26Gmn-O5A86EyQUC8VKjwdm0CxVbFH1yoaBKpU9DajZHZ

mjyMULdTn9hjKKwOHblJKYkXRxBrc9yfJGwV3yaPnPpRJpWxey53k0vgDflE2Mle5sHKa2iM5aJPvUfXJj3bL7tLGaHAcT1NYwIUMiSxnQcAx-rSsbqsTbmqLvFewOU51bs4TaFX

tj39nu9mtkQWWAYD4cLJKYEO6DwJls3JglP05yaggdAkDC6gCd3cktcLrrPInAYZdbmrV8y_kxCqHh7Zw8pmambYJHEZQwQDNcjiuF0ysfZ1dO9hqW1aoRajgG5Fc4YjzvF18Ubt

Above is a graph(please excuse the handmade graph) I made in order to view the data easier. My previous set of clubs are King Cobra 7’s. This set was a 6 iron thru Gap Wedge. Unfortunately while testing both clubs the King Cobra 6 iron broke so the chart below will only show the comparison from the 7 iron thru Gap Wedge.

As you can see the Wilson D7’s average roughly 8.6 yards more than my King Cobra 7’s. The one issue I had with the Wilsons is the yardage average on the 4 and 5 iron. There were times when I hit the 4 iron almost 200 yds. I have never in my life hit an iron 200 yds so that alone was impressive to me. Maybe if Wilson had a ¾ Hybrid for this set the gapping would be better!

LOOKS:      10 out of 10 points

I really was impressed with how the Wilson D7’s looked not only as a group in my golf bag but individually as well. I liked that they were not overly flashy but yet the design of the club was very sharp! No red in this model just a line of blue that pops off the club!

MeiBM59f3URVsvrj1iKBf4MvH-DXVlCb2YO9BgTGgo73ejjuiKQsqojSbVcTfqm7ZcYlO1R96QZ6KVR7KEI6HbeqWRAKtyOD44R_vakYq_7QjTbDc-hxxAGPbwZlII30YNNutGzX

vFP-WbnkZ9dX5l75ymneDqbwuXRjAHzevgslwN4avrGxRgJGMRKRtQURCjIveMIb2k1wLis3kHbXXzIdUrUgFJ6KNChUjvWJCXGZXFzAY_pZxQDL43qUtWk5YQmlyl4_UgWLxkmR

rFW-y3mxyTjV-ptXXC4jU0kPude2OCr0o0UILCLzHPHhHXnI96p51SJPJIeDtiVX4MDnj3eRtjINf9uO0yTKiMum3G0Ql1V6VvECa6yo4LODL-DGobp4PZ0kW2eB_RFQW9-r65cq

Sound and Feel:                      9 out of 10 points

With the thinner face and the power holes the ball really jumps off the face but not in an uncontrollable way. There is no vibration in the grip during contact whether good or bad. Despite the larger sole it does not  feel heavy or clunky and I actually have started making better contact with the ground which has always been an issue with me. The sole of the Wilson D7 is slightly larger than my King Cobra 7.

44E1w7ht-b5Y6SeB9WO_QrIgRpWjce-7xvsWAe_2XmvXGuqgGuovvPtSeiCObAP7UWzFj7mtDlwPbrxGnEw9IvjOFGx-5X_z52uPrMlvA8w_SItPmwvbAR6xnD56IBu1vbAsYVvH

Basic Characteristics                       18 out of 20 points

As stated earlier the main characteristic of these clubs is definitely the increased distance. But I dont think these clubs are a one trick pony. While there is an increase in the height of the ball flight I was also able to hit lower trajectory depending on the wind.  Punch shots around trees were easily controllable and flop shots around the green with the gap wedge are becoming my favorite shot. Now not all of my shots went where I wanted but those are more based on my inconsistent swing than on the club itself. I was able to work a fade at times even though my natural shot is more of a draw.

On Course Performance:                  28 out of 30 points

58T0ThXIzb0GiNXkeXwgn8K0kFnxg18BdBCizgF-Q5KQ_AbKj8TqkW-fJQyQ-vDBoad2VOZv6c8zGjRpje4c2warrflSPkTzKIdxxcqXcNmUqGIHLMUaZAW0n_ErH_XF6Wd83WaT

Overall I was very happy with the Wilson D7’s!  After a couple of weeks using these clubs I shot my best score ever an 82! I won closest to pin twice in our league during this time with the above picture a 7 iron from 163! There were still some ups and downs but that is to be expected from an inconsistent golfer like myself. The more I use them the more comfortable I am with them. I think the only change I would make with these clubs is to have better gapping with the 4 and 5 iron.

Play it or Trade it:             30 out of 30 points

If you are a scratch golfer or low handicap golfer these clubs may not speak to you. But if you are a mid to high handicapper like myself these clubs may be for you! They will hit it longer are very forgiving and definitely a GAME IMPROVEMENT iron. On top of that the price of these irons are very affordable compared to other game improvement irons.

Conclusion:  

I would like to thank everyone at MyGolfSpy and at Wilson for the opportunity to test the Wilson D7 irons. Ive learned alot about the technology that goes into these irons during this process. I also learned so much more about the Wilson Company and I love their story. From once being a major force in the golf world to then dropping out and being overtaken by the likes of Titelist, Ping and others to now a sort of rebirth with more players playing there clubs and a bigger media presence. Hopefully for them this will continue and they will be a major force once again in the golf world. 

Final Score:        95 out of 100

age 2 Placeholder 

Edited by Steve2100

Hey Guys, since I’m fairly new to the MGS forums I wanted to give a proper introduction. I’m John-Scott (JS), 36yrs old, and live in Richmond, VA. I’m also a fairly big guy – 6’4” 240lbs, so can put a lot of power behind a ball when I connect. I started playing golf with my father at our club at about age 6, but didn’t take it seriously until about 13 and got down to 6hdcp in HS. I continued to play sporadically through college and post schooling until kiddos joined the fun and consumed all my time – as many of you can relate. Now that they are a bit older (3 & 6 currently) I have more time to get back on the course. I played in a yearly tournament and in April of this year I shot a 91, which considering that I hadn’t played in over a year, spurred me into action! Since then I have participated in a few more tournaments (everybody needs a high handicapper on their team, right??) and aim to play at least once a month.

I’m about a 15hdcp currently and my iron play has always been the strongest part of my game. However, the clubs I currently hit are knock-off CB’s from 1998 and the though occurred that technology may have changed a bit in the intervening years. As I mentioned before, I can put a lot of power behind the ball with my fairly fast swing speed and size. Right now I hit my 8i about 150yds, but would often push the ball right, or put a fade on it. I heard about the Wilson D7 Challenge on MGS and went to a demo day nearby to get fitted and try out a few clubs. Boy have things changed with irons!!

IMG_20190606_144917.thumb.jpg.f2ec62659c935d9f03d258bf637f4257.jpg

To summarize the demo day, I went from hitting a 7i ~ 160yds with my current irons to hitting a 7i ~190yds with the new technology 🤯

First Impressions

The fateful day finally arrived and these new irons look beautiful!

IMG_20190806_174435.thumb.jpg.c608606013074c59dffd8a3d57844f23.jpg

I almost feel bad for them having to go into my old, beat up bag, but should be interesting to see how they sack up to my old DCI clones, and R11 Clones.

IMG_20190807_133148.thumb.jpg.a76a961db76a4d139f5798b6213cb326.jpg

Close-up Comparison of the D7's vs the DCI Clones

1211435927_IMG_20190606_150802(1).thumb.jpg.745c61e75b7a40ac2e1495fcccb4e661.jpg

After reading all of the marketing material, I thought the Power Holes would be very gimmicky, the overall head design too thick and unpleasant at address, and the RE•AKT Technology would not help straighten out my contant right push/fade that has developed with my swing.

Are all of these advancements enough to straighten out my gain, give me the promised yardage improvements, and - this is a major sticking point for me - not all be the same distance? Since I don't have trouble getting the ball up in the air, are the 4-6i going to be the same distance? With the ever creeping lofts of irons, do I even need a Fairway Wood? 

This, and more, will be answered as I give these clubs a proper workout!

Edited by Tarheelvolvo

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Stage 2 Review – October 7th, 2019

Wilson D7 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review

Finally, we’ve come to the end of our review period and I spent a lot of time on the range, the course, and here, with you all! Hopefully we’ve done a decent job answering any questions you had along the way and continue to ask questions about these irons. I also testing these irons against my current DCI’s and some R11 clones – even had a special guest appearance by a D300 4i for a bit to look at old-gen vs. new-gen. Basically, a lot of time spent with these irons and they were fun to test!

Current setup:

IMG_20191007_174343.thumb.jpg.b35890b6da0a23a46c594614226689a9.jpg

Looks (9/10):

The D7’s look great right out of the package. All shiny, chrome-y, and the cavity back has a nice, contemporary design that is pleasing to my eye compared with a lot of irons out there. The W/S Shield, slant D7 logo, and overall design in the cavity back is simplistic enough to not distract or seem gaudy while relaying the relevant information to any onlookers. Additionally, the power holes on the sole are not distracting when I look at my bag either. Most folks are curious about them and want to ask questions, which has given me a lot of different perspectives/opinions on their looks – all positive feedback from folks on the course and range.

They are a little thicker than one would hope for (I mean, aren’t we all striving to play butter knife blades?), but the weighting on the sole doesn’t distract you at address. Compared with my old DCI’s, the overall thickness, grooves, and “look” are fine and what I would expect from any club in this category.

2035439339_IMG_20190911_104822-COLLAGE(1).thumb.jpg.31535384e6331c5f2e5fb6f4872a31ef.jpg

Additionally, the grips have been really fantastic! I’ve enjoyed their feel in my hands, solid grip, and nary an issue with the club moving in my hands on any swing.

Sound & Feel (8/10):

I had the opportunity to try these at a demo day back in June and they have a good feel, solid sound, and really no complaints in this area. The ReAkt technology gives you a bit of feedback when you get a solid shot, but nothing distracting in the hands during the swing. Basically, they sound and feel like a gold club should sound and feel. However, when looking at the review template MGS supplied us, one note in this category was “Compare to your worst/best feel and sound experience” and in this regard I had to knock it a few points. When I tried the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro – yes, I realize it’s a bit of a different category- the sound was crisper and feel was amazing on solid shots. That’s my “gold standard” which all clubs are measured to, hence the 8.

Basic Characteristics (18/20):

So let’s break this down a bit

Accuracy – The D7’s are as accurate as my swing allows them to be, haha. Dispersion is very tight – I’d say 12yds either side of my aiming line

Distance – A lot. Seriously, these things fly. My best hit with them was a 4i hit off the tee that went 247yds, as measured by the Grint app/GPS. My wife tried them and she was flying past her current irons about 20+yds, had a buddy try them and he was equally about 20yds past his current irons. Now, this brings up some other issues that I’ll address further on.

Screenshot_20191007-165829.thumb.png.e49f3638a69267b20cab81f9a412797a.png

Trajectory High. No two ways about it. If you have trouble getting the ball up, then these irons are design to help you get it in the air easily. If I’m honest, they flew too high for my liking, but I can’t knock the club for doing as it’s designed to do.

Forgiveness – This is the reason the D7’s exist. I have always pushed my shots to the right, or I slice the ball significantly with my DCI’s. My slice has all but disappeared and I rarely push the ball to the right anymore. If anything, I’m having to compensate for a draw now, which isn’t a bad place to be. Additionally, any mishits with these irons are not punished significantly and my shots still went plenty far and into playable territory with heel or toe hits. I was very pleased with how forgiving these clubs are!

Control – Since these are SGI irons, you give up some control in order to gain forgiveness. Since most folks are out there to have a good time and not spend all day in the woods looking for balls, it’s a fair trade off. With that said, I never once had any control issues with the clubs and it was fairly “point-and-shoot” for the majority of the shots I took with these.

Workability – Same story here as Control. You gotta give a little workability to get more forgiveness, so you cannot shape your shots all that well. However, that doesn’t mean I wasn’t able to exert some influence to get around a dog leg a bit better. Just realize what these clubs are meant for and go with the flow…no club can be everything to everyone.

Setup & Lofts So here is my only real issue with the basic characteristics of these clubs, and ultimately what dings them a few points. The Lie and Length were no problem to get setup from the factory when we all ordered our clubs, BUT the lofts on these irons are pretty high. Mind you, I’m coming from a setup of clubs where the 4i was @ 25* and the SW @ 54*. The D7’s start at 19* for the 4i and end at 48* for the GW. This corresponds to the distance gains I’m seeing since the 4i is effectively a 5W for most players. It has really highlighted gaps in my bag that I didn’t have before so I’ve had to completely retool everything to accommodate the increased lofts. Another problem that I ran into was how the upper irons are gapped; 19-22-25 for the 4-5-6i meant that there was only about 10yds difference from the 4-6i, effectively ruling out their use in an average round. I understand that marketing dollars are at play and the desire for each new product to be “farther and straighter” than the last, but it comes at an expense that doesn’t make sense for the average golfer and most folks will only use about four or five clubs from a set of 8 on average…that means a lot of wasted space in your bag and money in the end.

D7specs.thumb.jpg.67fd987d099dedc25448eb6ac02d2e8a.jpg

On-Course Performance (28/30):

I noted in some posts during the review period that on average I gained about 3-4 strokes a side with these clubs. Yes, the Wilson Staff D7’s lowered my score, on average about 6-8 strokes! The distance provided, forgiveness in shots, overall accuracy, and even a bit of control/workability significantly helped lower my scores. Forget the gapping issues, the high trajectory, and the loss of some control and workability, at the end of the day these clubs can game.

I’m very pleased with the turf interaction on each shot, the distance off the tee’s (I mostly hit irons off the tee, and at 247yds w a 4i, who needs a driver!), the wedge play, and just general confidence I had with these clubs was fantastic. I never walked up to a shot and thought “oh crap, now what am I going to do” and instead just figured out my distance, selected my club, and whacked away.

Besides the amazing 247yd tee shot with my 4i, another great shot was ~128yds out and put it within 3ft with the GW. So even under my own pressure – and that of the people I was playing with – the performed admirably and was never in doubt on the course.

Screenshot_20191007-170403.thumb.png.fd2dd0223c26c34936a135f96ded175a.png

The D7’s have changed my perspective on Wilson/Staff clubs in a major way.

Miscellaneous (8/10):

So here’s where we talk about the small things. The speed of shipping was a major issue – of course the timing didn’t help, though, as we placed our orders right before the US Open…that Gary Woodland won…with the Wilson Staff Model Irons…that made them super popular and everyone wanted a set…which pushed our orders to the bottom of the stack. However, it did take them about two months to get us our clubs, which is a ding overall.

The packaging, personal inspection notes, fit & finish, were all top-notch, though.

Also, everywhere I went with these clubs, people would ask me questions about them, how they played, how W/S was now, and inevitably, how they had an old set at one point in their lives and how they always liked them… It’s a storied brand with a bright future, assuming they can get products out the door!

Play it or Trade it (19/20):

Given that they have already lowered my score about 6-8 strokes a round, these are definite “play” irons and I would have no qualms heading to a tournament with these at any time. I think the price is very reasonable for any golfer and I would recommend them to anyone starting in the game or someone who has swing consistency issues, trouble getting the ball up, or maybe distance issues with age. I’ve certainly enjoyed them and will continue to enjoy them until I make the next step with my game to a players iron – many rounds from now.

Conclusion

Buy these clubs if you are a mid/high handicapper who wants to hit the ball longer, straighter, and have confidence that you can step up to any shot, take a swing, and it will go where you want it to*.

*Don't blame the clubs for your bad swings 😝

Final Score: 90 out of 100

Edited by Tarheelvolvo

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Stage Two - The Review 10/8/19

*Photos coming soon

Wilson D7 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by JohnSmalls

Intro

Annnnd break.  Stage two is here, and I wish this test could go on for a few more months (foreshadowing).  My testing was done over 3 golf courses, one tournament, 3 full rounds, 4 or 5 “9 hole” treks (I lost count), and numerous afternoons after work practicing certain shots and distance testing out on the golf course and around the greens.  Some launch monitor data was collected during lessons on Flightscope with Srixon range balls.   

In stage one I mentioned that for these irons to make a home in my bag, they needed to consistently hit expected distances across the face, not lose as much distance on off center shots, hit the ball low, hit a punch draw and a fade, and most importantly will these irons hit shots that will stick on the green.  So how have they fared?

Looks. (8/10) Like any good equipment brat, I love the look of blades and I don’t necessarily like the look of clunky golf shovels.  There is a quality of the craftsmanship when you hold a blade or players iron, and they often look and feel like high quality precision instruments.  SGI and GI irons often feel and look cheap, almost like they are toys.  These are absolutely an exception to that.  Wilson has far surpassed expectations in the looks department.   I love the polished chrome finish on these irons, the ferrules  and faces just exude the look of a quality golf club. These understated looks drew a few onlookers in to take a closer look at the clubs.  

Flipping the club over to the badging is when the story changes though.  I generally don’t like the back of GI/SGI clubs.  They often look cheap and chintzy and it is by far my least favorite part of a GI/SGI club.  With that said, Wilson designers really should be commended for their job here.  The Wilson shield sits strongly in the middle and the little blue line is a nice touch. But it is still a badge slapped onto a golf club.

The powerholes (slots cut out of the bottom, filled with urethane) are anything but classic and svelte.  They scream for attention, and that’s where most people had questions.  They aren’t the best looking feature of the golf club, but they are an attention grabber and question starter.

Sound&feels. (10/10) These D7 irons are good lookers, but how do they sound and feel?  They had their work cut out for them going against the forged sound and feel of my Nike Vapor Pro Combos.  This was the single biggest surprise of the entire test.  They DO NOT feel like SGIs.  That is the best thing I can ever say.  I don’t know what Wilson engineers did, but these clubs communicate shot feedback better than any GI/SGI club I have ever hit. They sound like a classic iron on good shots, bad shots, and generally anywhere in between.  It is like the clubs are trying to talk to you in a nice clean and calm conversation.  Poor shots send very clear feed back into your hands and your ears.  You know where you miss the clubface with these, just like the Nikes.  But the feedback is toned down one step.  On bad shots the smaller Nikes are like your buddy slugging you in the arm, whereas the Wilson’s are more of a slap on the wrist.  You know exactly where you have missed, it’s just not as pronounced.  I think the feedback these irons give really lend to them looking smaller and instill confidence.  The first few times I had them on the course, I found myself grinning like a child because I couldn’t believe I was getting this feedback from a SGI iron.

*I got a chance to hit the new Callaway Big Bertha Irons, they don’t come close to the feel of the Wilson’s nor the fit and finish.

Basic Characteristics. (12/20)  Now that’s plenty of the looks and feels of the irons.  How do they perform??  I got a good launch monitor session in at a lesson and spent a few nights around the greens and dropping balls from distance to see how consistent these irons were in a practice type of environment. 

On the launch monitor—I am seeing 88-89 mph clubhead speed with the 7 iron, with a carry in the low to mid 170s and a rollout of 7-8 yards and around 6000 spin.

In practice, good strikes result in very high ball flight versus thin or toe side strikes that result in little total distance lost, but much lower ball flight and a little more runout.  7 irons into greens with a tour ball will take one big hop with a touch of roll.  Two piece ionomer balls would hop and total run out around 10 yards.

Accuracy was good and consistent with PW-7 iron during my testing on approach shots I made sure to get plenty of off centered hits mixed in with good clean strikes, these irons really do bring forgiveness to the table.  Very little yardage is lost on thin strikes and toe struck shots lost less than the ~10% found in the players irons.  But with that forgiveness, can you work these irons.  I am proud to say that is a yes.  I must be able to hit low punch draws to get out of trouble in the trees and I was able to do not only that but also fade the ball nicely with the ball flight being enough to hold a green.  Now these clubs are not a bandaid for a bad swing.  Put a bad swing on a ball and they will hit duck hooks for days.

I mostly used the GW for feel shots around the green.  The face is “hotter” (the ball comes off faster with less effort) than the single piece forged wedge of my Nikes.  It took a week or two to get used to the speed of the ball coming off the D7, but that was a minor adjustment, the club has become automatic.  I have used it from everything such as bump and runs to flop shots.  The shorter clubs in this set are automatic.  

On course performance (21/30) 

As Billy Joel says, under pressure.  How did these hold up to a swing that badly needs more practice and refining?  Well I played some of my best golf ever firing a 42 on the front 9 Sunday afternoon at my home course and a cool even 90 on the worst driving day I have had all year (8 penalty strokes), on a course that I have never played before that is rated at a little bit more difficult than my home course. The scoring clubs have really shined.  I have holed out twice with the GW something that hasn’t happened in 3 years.  These clubs hold greens better than I imagined they would.  The GW will hop and pull back on full swings and the 8 iron will come close to hopping and stopping.  That fits the bill for what I need them to do.  GW through 8 iron have been largely point and shoot through this test and are all go to clubs.  The 7 iron has had some impressive shots, getting me onto a par 5 in 2 for the first time ever.  But from 6 iron down to 4 iron, especially 4 & 5, they might as well stay at home.  I have not hit these clubs well since they have gone in the bag.  In fact they have been noticeably worse overall than my Nikes.  Going into this test I thought the opposite would be true, but as someone who generally likes longer irons, I just absolutely cannot hit these. 

Another trend I really noticed when these clubs were put in tournament mode was an aberration in shot distance with the gap wedge.  This club should be carrying 120-125, easily.  After sticking two GIRs for birdies, I had an approach into a green with the pin on the front right between 118-121.  I came up 10 yards short of the green with a quality strike.    This isn’t the first time it has happened, but it is the first time that it really meant something.   The 7 iron has had some instances where distances don’t match the flightscope numbers and shots are coming in 10 yards short as well.  Fliers haven’t been a problem, but completely unexpected distance loss on quality strikes has been a strange issue, one that hasn’t been resolved yet.   

Misc. (10/10)

Wilson put together a neat package.  The spec sheet to go with the irons was a nice touch by the custom build department.  I checked previous Wilson reviews and it seems that the build quality issues with premature wear/tear and the paintfill issues have been fixed.  Of course, the mirror finish is the first to wear, but these clubs are holding up well.  I have had a couple of guys grab the irons out of my bag asking what they were, after complimenting how good they looked, one being surprised to see Wilson’s in the bag.  The main comments are on the power holes, and after these two months, they do indeed work.  One concern I had going into this was how thick the soles were, but Wilson designers have made almost a v-sole out of the sole and the turf interactions plays to a much smaller feeling footprint than what is present.

Play or trade? (12/20)

I am on the fence here, and am going to need another few months to decide the fate of the D7s.  I love having Wilson’s in my bag.  But the performance must justify the presence.  Right now they aren’t quite where I would expect them in terms of results as a whole package and that is a problem.  I have some gapping issues at the bottom of the bag, and as I have said before the long irons are almost useless in my hands.  With that said, these irons have gotten me out of trouble that other clubs in my bag gotten me into, and still led me to the lowest scores I have shot all year even after not playing great golf.  So there is something about these irons, and they are sticking around…for a couple more months of testing.  Stay tuned.

In conclusion,

Wilson has made a seriously good iron with the D7.  These clubs look like they belong on the course and the qualitative results are shockingly good.  But the quantitative haven’t completely sold me yet.  I am going to put that down as operator error and possibly a poor fitting shaft in the long irons, for now.  The distance with these is real, that’s on a loft for loft basis.  The versatility and the quality of this product is surprising and worth more than the asking price.  The questions I had have been met with a strong performance and I look forward in gaming these in some upcoming tournaments.  My GIR has increased, though just slightly.  I feel like these will continue to be good irons for me, but I am not sure they are the irons for me.  If you are in the market for a GI or SGI iron, these deserve special consideration during your next purchase decision. There isn't an SGI iron that will match the D7 for feel, distance, versatility all for a very reasonable price.  Wilson is every bit back in the game of producing high quality golf clubs.  They will be on the top of my list for my next irons.

The Final (midterm) Grade:  73/100

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Why So Late?

What’s up fellow spies? Well I know my Stage 1 is late, but I have a very good excuse. My name is Joe and I am in the Navy out of Jacksonville Florida. We left port to go out for Naval exercises and then got extended by 5 days and of course there was this huge hurricane Dorian coming up from the Bahamas so we couldn’t pull back in. We had to go up to Virginia for a few days then around the storm back to Mayport. The video below is what we went through trying to make it home. Needless to say my wife and 6 kids evacuated to Pensacola Florida while I was away. Sorry its sideways. Sorry couldn't figure out how to embed here...just follow the link and enjoy the show.

https://www.facebook.com/100008543405169/videos/2080569485571145/

So as you can see I have had a rough few weeks. I have been playing golf since age 15. I only got serious about the game a couple of years ago when I was playing every week and got fitted into some Ping I200 irons. I love the game. It’s the ultimate challenge each day trying to stay focused and play the correct shot. To me it is a huge test of patience and perseverance and those two qualities don’t come easy to me. It’s amazing to me that every round can be so different, one aspect of my game can work perfectly while the others fall apart.

My Game

I have a 10 handicap right now and it has been trending upward for the past year. I am not sure what happened but being on a Navy ship hasn’t given me much time to play and practice and my game is suffering. I have played with Cobra Forged Tec One Length irons for about a year and even though my accuracy has greatly improved with these in the bag my distance has decreased way too much. I am getting older and my swing speed has started to decrease.  Last year I won the Cobra Connect Challenge and got fitted into the One Length irons. Right now my 150 yard club is my 7 iron and I have about 10 yards between each club which makes club selection easier but when you hit your 4 and 5 iron both 170 well golf can be frustrating.  My current ball flight is a tiny draw which I like and I can hit the ball high or low with no issues. I always aim for the middle of the green unless I have the perfect wedge distance in so I am looking for a combination of distance and forgiveness in my irons.

Wilson D7 Challenge

I have to admit I have never played with game improvement or super game improvement irons. I have always gravitated toward the players irons because of the look. I took the D7 challenge and I got some amazing distance and accuracy gains from the Wilson D7 irons. My D7 7 iron increased 14 yards and 5 iron increased a whopping 24 yards! I shared my experience on the forum and didn’t think much of it at the time. I surely didn’t expect to get selected to test these irons. I am grateful to say the least. It seems like the moderators really pick the perfect testers because I have been considering SGI irons and my game was suffering. I am sure there are alot of spies out there that have always played players irons and have considered making the switch so I hope to help them with this decision. 

The Tech

So let’s talk about the technology in these irons! There is RE•AKT Technology that is supposed to improve power translating to greater ball speed. The long irons have power holes, in fact three rows of them and a thinner face to maximize distance. As you move down the bag the weighting is optimized and the power holes are decreased leading to precise distance control. I think so far I believe that their claims are justified. I have shortened my swing a lot in the past year and have seen better accuracy but less distance. Well my initial testing has confirmed Wilson’s claim as I still have the same accuracy but my distance has increased unbelievably. If these irons continue to do what the are doing then I will have to rethink my bag entirely. Maybe a hybrid or two will get knocked out of my bag and I may need to add another wedge.

Here is the 4 iron with the 3 rows of power holes...it definitely has some heft looking down.

d71.jpg.042e41b827c9156ec59f1eba643d88e9.jpg

D72.jpg.fd3786a6d30a3c7455328bde9cf9d336.jpg

d73.jpg.6f43a604f56632a42187185599c0083c.jpg

d74.jpg.2487b8f3be9ec4ced4cb4dfd1477c489.jpg

d75.jpg.85ab80ce4da23d4aa0048295a0aa23dc.jpg

d76.jpg.4edc050b41927c535efa7aee0f32560f.jpg

Here is the 7 iron with the 2 rows of power holes which is supposed to decrease the power some but allow for good distance and more control.

d78.jpg.1d007df10d6eb10690b0385ef84a2ab7.jpg

d80.jpg.17daddd17e660b3221607b7aa81c5f05.jpg

And finally the Gap Wedge with the one row. The reflections might look odd but I assure you these irons are flawless!!!

d81.jpg.7c703541e96fee9b71a490e34e7fd42a.jpg

d82.jpg.13c12295ca881c8cfe7999d09a3cfeef.jpg

Overall I love the look of these irons. They look premium to me and I like the color scheme. The thick line actually doesn't bother me at all and to me the 4 iron looks like most of the driving irons I see on the market today. I think Wilson did a great job with these irons and the value here is astonishing. 

How I Will Test

My testing will include TopGolf range testing for accurate distance numbers, and I will also look at spin rates and launch angles to insure that I will have the proper descent angles and spin rates to hold the greens. I will do a lot of on course testing because this is where I want to see if they hold up. Do I get a flyer on some shots leading to overshooting greens or do they remain consistent across the face of the club and build confidence in the yardages?  So will these irons pass the test? Will these super game improvement irons convert an old players iron golfer into the game improvement category?

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Stage Two - The Review 29SEP19

Wilson D7 irons – Official MGS Forum Review by GeekingGolf

Intro

I just want to start by saying thank you to Wilson Golf and MyGolfSpy for this amazing opportunity. I have always wondered what a game improvement iron would do for my game and it was amazing fun playing with these clubs in the bag. Well like I said in Stage 1 this move from a players iron to a game improvement is not very easy. The clubs perform very well all things being considered, but if you have been playing a players iron for many years you might have a tough time adjusting. I tested these irons in normal course and range conditions for my area. Jacksonville gets pretty windy at times especially on the naval base course here. I moved back a set of tees and tried to use the longer irons off the tee as much as possible. I did use Arccos tracking, but it has been missing shots and with my Samsung S9 it has drained my battery all the way out every time on the course. I have included some screenshots of some of the better shots I tracked to give you an idea of the distances I was seeing. I think these are a full club longer for me. My range sessions were used to get a better handle on the trajectory and distance I would see on the course. I used my range sessions to determine if I could move the ball up and down or left and right and I have included my findings below.

Looks (8 out of 10 points) 

These clubs definitely look great. The look is classic with the chrome and black look. I think the look definitely isn’t flashy but it looks classic to me and is something worthy of the Wilson logo. The shape of the clubs is classic as well and the top line although thick is comparable with other irons in this category.

Sound & Feel (9 out of 10 points)

I just love the sound and feel of these irons. For a game improvement iron, I really thought that I would have a difficult time with knowing the strike location on shots. The impact feels softer than I expected and when you hit the exact middle of the club face it feels like you used a bazooka to hit the ball. The ball explodes off the face and I imagine that the power holes really aid in not only the soft feel but also the speed transfer to the ball.

Basic Characteristics (17 out of 20 points)

When I think of game improvement irons, I immediately think distance and forgiveness. Well these irons definitely fit the stereotype, the distance is unreal adding about 10-15 yards distance to every one of my irons and the forgiveness is definitely there with these clubs. I don’t get to practice as much as I would like and having something this forgiving in the bag really helps my golf game out. Mishits really don’t lose much distance and I have had zero issues with trajectory control. These irons do tend to hit draws more easily than fades and it probably has to do with the offset. I can hit a fade but it isn’t easy and it isn’t easy to control for me yet.  The wide sole and different power hole configurations provide a high launch with tons of ball speed which is why the distance is there.

On-Course Performance (24 out of 30 points)

The irons on course performance is pretty good. For some reason the shape of the club, the thick top line in particular causes me to try and lift the ball at times so I really have to focus on hitting down on the ball with these clubs. My overall scores have improved even though my greens in regulation percentage has gone down significantly. I find it very difficult to hit these irons accurately at the moment, I either push it right, hit too much draw or occasionally get that game improvement iron flyer. I think these irons would be better suited for a golfer with a higher handicap and with trouble slicing the ball. These clubs definitely help me hit the ball high and the ball lands softly on the green with no roll out or backspin. This probably has to do with the stronger lofts and thin sole which is lowering the center of gravity. I have witnessed some trouble with distance control in windy conditions as these clubs characteristics make it difficult to keep shots from ballooning into the wind.

I think overall these are solid performers for this category of iron. The golfer that these are targeting will definitely see many more benefits than I have in my opinion. My scores stayed about the same with these irons as with my gamers but it’s important to note that my greens in regulation or more importantly my accuracy definitely decreased with these in the bag. I will say that Wilson has done an amazing job with the design and value of these clubs and have changed my perception of the brand. Before this testing opportunity I knew Wilson was a long established golf brand, but didn’t think they made very good products primarily because I didn’t know anyone that played with their clubs. Well that perception has definitely changed and I could see myself trying their irons in the future. The main detractors for me are the thick top line which is common in this iron category and also the long irons show the back of the iron at address which is a little distracting for me. I really like the combination of technologies on this iron, the power holes are winners in my opinion and the golf ball just explodes off the face which makes these irons very fun to hit.

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10 points)

The irons did take a while to arrive, but I don’t really consider that a bad thing for Wilson it may just mean that these irons are in high demand and I can see why. These combine good performance for an outstanding price so I can see newcomers to golf really gravitating toward these irons as a first real set of irons. The irons came in a standard industry box, but it included an authentication spec sheet that showed Wilson’s dedication to quality control which is great to see.

Play it or Trade it? (10 out of 20 points)

Trade it. This type of iron doesn’t work for my game at the present time. I can’t honestly say that my iron play is better with these in the bag and although the gain in distance is great to see, I put a premium on accuracy with my irons. I want to get the ball as close to the hole as I can and also I want to be able to hit a variety of shots with my irons, high or low, left or right. I can’t do that with these irons. There is definitely forgiveness and distance in these irons, but for me those aren’t my top priorities. The price on these irons is unreal. These cost retail about 600 dollars which I think is an absolute steal in today’s golf market. These irons definitely fit the higher handicap golfer one that probably has trouble with slicing the ball and losing a lot of distance as a result. If you are a higher handicap golfer that has trouble hitting the ball straight or even if you would like to the ball higher and hit a draw these would be for you.

Conclusion

Are you a high handicap golfer looking to increase distance and eliminate your tendency to hit that slice on the golf course? Well these irons are definitely ones to consider adding to your bag. These irons pack game improvement technology to help the golfer hit the ball higher, farther, and straighter. If however your handicap is below 15 I would consider passing on these. Even though these pack a lot of great features in my opinion these will not improve your iron play to the point where you could see a real scoring impact. In my opinion 15 and below handicap golfers like myself are trying to hit more greens and also hit the ball closer to the hole even if that means sacrificing some distance to reach that end goal. Overall these are great golf clubs that definitely do what the manufacturer claims they do.

Final Score: 76

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Hi.  I.m Louise.  I was very pleased to have been chosen to test the Wilson D7s.  Especially since they included two women golfers in the testing.

I didn't pick up golf until I was 43, but managed to win my first club championship 2 1/2 years later at Dallas CC.  I have since won 12 more spread over 4 different clubs.  2 in Dallas and 2 in Calif.  I am currently a 9 hdcp but have been as low as a 5.  

I am having a foot issue so I haven't been able to play a full round with the D7s yet, but I have hit them on the range a couple of times and am very pleased with the results.  When I initially did the challenge with my Cleveland men's length Apex 7 iron, I was amazed that the women's clubs actually went farther and had better numbers than my club.  And I have always played with men's clubs, although I' did try women's Pings a few years ago and did not like them.  The D7s practically hit themselves.  They feel really well  balanced and look great at address.  

Hopefully my Achilles heel bone spur will be under control enough to really put them to the test and see where the numbers go.  I am very very optimistic that these are gamers.  And they sure are pretty!!

As a certified Wilson/Staff homer, I am SO looking forward to this thread!!!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Congrats ladies! And, honestly, very much looking forward to hearing about your impressions with these - not sure if/when I'll be researching upgrades for my wife's starting-to-age equipment (she doesn't think she needs new clubs, and I may never get her to change her pink driver!), but these would be one candidate.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Stage one is up!  See if you guys can find the two abnormalities in my post. 

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

On 8/21/2019 at 8:25 AM, JohnSmalls said:

Wilson D7 Irons, Stage One:  JohnSmalls (8/21/2019)

Hi, I am John!  I live and play most of my golf in upstate South Carolina at Spring Lake Country Club which is just south of Charlotte, NC. 
SL18JP.jpg.c020a0537f77b4f6c92689196c6df9c3.jpg

I grew up doing a variety of things from going on camping trips to playing just about everything that could be considered a game.  My grandma enjoyed golf and her husband was an avid golfer along with being one of the first members at the club in my hometown. 

SpringLake9.jpg.174e1e1144c0efcbe3ecbb72338dbd64.jpg

Sadly he passed away before I was born, but there was always golf equipment laying around my grandma’s house.  Her brother, Joe was also an avid golfer and he gave me my first golf clubs when I was a very young boy.  Ironically it was a junior Wilson set with a driver, fairway wood, 5, 7, 9, PW and a putter.  I liked golf never enjoyed playing, because it wasn’t the cool sport and my first sports love was baseball.  Nevertheless I played here and there through the grade school/high school years and kept up about once a year while in college.  It wasn’t until 3 years ago that I played my first truly enjoyable round with one of my best friends that I began to fall in love with this crazy game. 

I was very pessimistic about my game and distance so I played game improvement/super game improvement irons for my first two+ years(Cobra Fly-Z and Nike Vapor Speed), but as my ball striking improved over the past year I wanted to try something new so I put my current dream forged players irons in the bag  the Nike Vapor Pro Combos.  With this past year of lessons and practice I feel like I have unlocked a better understanding of my swing, all of this has come with the Pro Combos in the bag which I have come to love.

I currently shoot in the low to mid 90s and that is finally trending down after what is looking like a year of growing pains due to a substantial swing change.   Irons were the better part of my game before the swing change and look like they are coming alive again.  I have a slower back swing leading into a moderately aggressive downswing that averages between 84-86 7 iron swing speed, and tops out a touch over 89mph.

My instructor tracks data using Flightscope hitting to an outdoor range with Srixon range balls.  Consistently well struck 7-irons with my Pro Combos are in the 153-157 carry range with around 8000 spin.  My typical miss comes off the toe side of center and usually ends up with a 10% loss on carry distance ranging in the high 130s to low 140s.  Really bad ball striking days end up with an awful tempo leading to my latest attempt at a ditch digging contest and some nasty pull hooks.  With all of this I have a relatively good idea what to expect from my irons depending on how I am hitting the ball and this has led to a much more consistent and finally improving game. 

“Wilson’s new D7 irons with RE-AKT technology brings distance when you need it and precision when you want it.  Long irons feature three rows of Power Holes and a thinner, more responsive face for maximum distance. Fewer Power Holes combine with optimal weighting and extreme feel in the shorter irons for the most precise distance control.  With straighter lines, a cleaner top line and improved weighting, D7 combines the look of a player's iron with the benefits of Super Game Improvement Technology.  D7 helps golfers play their best.”-- If that sounds like marketing material…it is.  That is quoted straight from Wilson's website.

wilsonstaff2019d7ironbanner.jpg.980ca36b4142e55502e239751830a6f6.jpg

Wilson intrigues me.  I thought of them as a big box low quality company when I first started playing.  But slowly through MGS testing, I am convinced they really do produce high quality clubs and especially irons.  Wilson is one of the old school players in the game and their history speaks for itself with 62 major wins coming with Wilson Staff irons.ArnoldPalmer.jpg.4d32cd757c5d904c39a0393656d71b82.jpg

samsnead.jpg.b131b2742ad1561685e915e341f9233e.jpg

I was fit by Ken at Victory Custom Golf in Lake Wylie, SC.  We spoke about the shafts available, and tested a number of KBS shafts (Wilson Staff preferred), DG 105, and a few Aerotech Steelfiber options.  As I saw at the D7 demo day, I do not like KBS shafts.  I really wanted to, but I don’t get along with them.  Steelfibers weren’t much better for me.  But the DG 105 was the goldilocks choice of the day.  So Ken fit me for 4-PW,GW,  -0.25” and 1* flat for the D7s and in Dynamic Gold AMT R300 (closest to the DG 105).  I chose the stock Lamkin Crossline but in black. 
DSC_0520.jpg.6cebc8678d460d22929725eec6796db6.jpg
The shaft length is exactly the same as my Nikes except for the PW (Wilson is shorter).  Honestly, I am concerned about the loft comparisons to my current irons, and the low spin design of the D7 head.  See below:
CustomFitSheet.jpg.588261ce16eaa75a71d64ebc020cbd2b.jpg
vapor-pro-combo-iron-specs.jpg.662e5af3d06f040e63d7c89859f7fd00.jpg

Personally, I am excited to have Wilson’s back in my bag; it feels like I have come full circle with equipment.  Wilson shipped them with the heads individually wrapped in plastic and bubble wrap, even though the box was a little beaten up, the clubs look great!  I had Ken check the specs to what was ordered and every club ended up .5* to 1* flatter than the spec sheet, so we think it was a difference in machines.

DSC_0524.jpg.e957b9d6606a0d6353e7399a4aa07743.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg.0537a7044c0360bcd0cb7754027a199c.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg.acb775de9e0f76b4b2908289b9d9a7a0.jpg

DSC_0581.jpg.4f1a0956375c4cc4893964ee5f814150.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg.a44e004502032a0ffe56acb0f38f4571.jpg

DSC_0582.jpg.d36f5e854f34d3e735c9f102fc41811f.jpg

What I am looking for?:

-Similar carry distance and ball flight on mishits (no 10% loss)
-Ability to hit the ball low with long irons from the trees
-Iron shots to hold the green with 5,6,7 irons
-Cut down wedges/short irons to maintain enough spin to hold greens
-Increased GIR and scrambling percentages

784177212_Screenshot(40).jpg.cdc9e4ec188d860530eddfa20a621e59.jpg

Will the D7s and RE-AKT be enough to kick my favorite Nikes from my bag?

Hey John. Was that video done in front of a mirror?  Something looks odd (backwards) and I cannot put my finger on it 🤣.  I wanted to add these into my recent, rather long winded, iron testing but could not find any.  I really like the look of them and that Wilson is back in the game.  Golf just isn't golf without them being part of the tapestry.  Have fun and throw a few HR's in the evaluation - certainly that has to be a consideration going into the 2020 HRC and unseating Mr. @sirchunksalot 🤗

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

John and Steve, loved those Stage 1's!   Nice job.   

Steve, thanks for your service, I imagine that had to be a very interesting career in Chicago.  I love the city, just haven't been there too often.  I'll actually be a couple hours north of you next week, too bad I don't have an extra day, to come down and get a round in with you!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

17 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Stage one is up!  See if you guys can find the two abnormalities in my post. 

Great start @JohnSmalls!!!

I combed through it a few times.

The two potential “abnormalities” I found:

1 - Your HCP is actually trending downward after switching to the Nike Vapor Pro Combos - decidedly not a “game improvement” setup.

2 - The lengths don’t match your fitting specs and the lofts are anywhere from 3 to 5 degrees weaker than standard.

How’d I do?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

39 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hey John.  Was that video done in front of a mirror?  Something looks odd (backwards) and I cannot put my finger on it 🤣.  I wanted to add these into my recent, rather long winded iron testing, but could not find any.  I really like the look of them and that Wilson is back in the game.  Golf just isn't golf without them being part of the tapestry.  Have fun and throw a few HR's in the evaluation - certainly that has to be a consideration going into the 2020 HRC and unseating Mr. @sirchunksalot 🤗

No mirrors involved.  I promise I am taking my hacks from the right side of the ball 😁.  I'll see what kind of rocks I can find to throw in strictly for science.  @sirchunksalot we are barely 2 months removed and the forum is gearing up to steal your crown!

Gameday

Classic Bag

11 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Great start @JohnSmalls!!!

I combed through it a few times.

The two potential “abnormalities” I found:

1 - Your HCP is actually trending downward after switching to the Nike Vapor Pro Combos - decidedly not a “game improvement” setup.

2 - The lengths don’t match your fitting specs and the lofts are anywhere from 3 to 5 degrees weaker than standard.

How’d I do?

Thanks!  You nailed the first one. My HCP has been on a pretty strong downward trend since the switch to a less forgiving iron.  I am not sure if it is due to a better fitting shaft or a combination of less offset/thinner sole profile, or if I am finally grooving a swing and improving and it has nothing to do with the irons? 

I thought the lengths were spot on, since the -.25" made them match the Pro Combos.  But now that you mention it, maybe the proper fitting is -.25" shorter, still.  I am interested to hear your thoughts on that.  But the lengths and lofts weren't it.

The second abnormality (for lack of a better term) is still on the loose, it has to do with the photos.

Gameday

Classic Bag

@Steve2100 thank you for your service.  I don't know if I missed it or it hasn't been brought up before but I didn't know that you were a police officer. I think we found the right irons for you with the little blue line running on the badging!

Gameday

Classic Bag

36 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Thanks!  You nailed the first one. My HCP has been on a pretty strong downward trend since the switch to a less forgiving iron.  I am not sure if it is due to a better fitting shaft or a combination of less offset/thinner sole profile, or if I am finally grooving a swing and improving and it has nothing to do with the irons? 

I thought the lengths were spot on, since the -.25" made them match the Pro Combos.  But now that you mention it, maybe the proper fitting is -.25" shorter, still.  I am interested to hear your thoughts on that.  But the lengths and lofts weren't it.

The second abnormality (for lack of a better term) is still on the loose, it has to do with the photos.

Oops - I was reviewing on my tiny phone and thought the two spec charts were Wilson D7 standard specs -vs- your custom fitting specs... which also makes my comment on club length irrelevant.

Edit: What shafts are you playing in the Nikes?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

No mirrors involved.  I promise I am taking my hacks from the right side of the ball .  I'll see what kind of rocks I can find to throw in strictly for science.  [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention] we are barely 2 months removed and the forum is gearing up to steal your crown!
Looks like I'm going to have to get ready to defend my title. giphy(8).gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2 hours ago, downlowkey said:

Oops - I was reviewing on my tiny phone and thought the two spec charts were Wilson D7 standard specs -vs- your custom fitting specs... which also makes my comment on club length irrelevant.

Edit: What shafts are you playing in the Nikes?

No worries.  For the sake of clarity, I had to crop and zoom in on the Nike spec sheet to fit the 500px suggestion.  I didn't realize how confusing that was looking at a spec sheet that didn't have a picture nor the actual brand of the clubs on it. 

I am playing the stock Dynamic Gold Pro R300s in the Nikes.  Though, I am not quite sure yet on how well the DG Pros stack up to the Dynamic Gold AMTs in the Wilsons. 

Gameday

Classic Bag

14 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great Stage 1's@JohnSmalls and@Steve2100. I think this is going to a fun thread to follow as each one of you that were chosen did a great job on the D7 challenge thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks Jason!  We’re gonna try to make this fun.  Going to be a busy couple of months on the forum with all of the reviews going on

Gameday

Classic Bag

On 8/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, artful_golfer said:

Yippee! My stage 1 review for the Wilson D7 irons is up.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3