Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

Posted (edited)

If anybody is curious about the new 7 wood.. 

It's....

AWESOME!!!

I've been hitting it in my garage on the R10 and 1 time at the range. Today I got it out for its first round and it showed up! I was looking for a 4h replacement that was a little more consistent. Also just looking for as much drop-stop action that I can get. The hybrid I hit well but it just seemed inconsistent at times. Sometimes it would balloon too high and the distance would vary too much. 

This 7 wood is something else! The height off the deck is wild. Probably double that if my 4h but the distance was so consistent every time. 225 drop from the heavens and some slight roll. The look and shape at address is just perfect IMO. Can't wait to start using it more. 

It's pretty crazy forgiving too for.the smaller profile. Such a fun consistent club 

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I guess I might as well post this here too since there are diff readers on both forums. Sorry if it's a repeat for readers of both. 

Confession time: so for the past couple of years I hadn't really given much thought or consideration to the Maltby Max milled wedges. Being somewhat of a "wedge snob" and having put a load of time into dialing a decent wedge game, these just appeared to be too "game improvementy" for my taste. Mind you I'd never seen one in person, let alone the picture like what I'm posting below. 

So my dad on the other hand has a rather atrocious wedge game. Frightening really. He's mortified by the thought of even picking up a wedge. In most instances it's like giving a katana sword to a child. It just doesn't turn out well and people can get hurt. I figured I'd make him a more friendly playing wedge and the Max 54° 1.05" wide sole seemed like a decent idea for him. 

I ordered it and built it. It's about 1" longer than standard to help him not have to bend over so much and allow to just brush the grass with his arms mostly straight. At first I was actually pretty shocked at how nice the profile is. Not an overly large head at all. He has a new TM Hi-toe and this is a MUCH better looking shape. Yes the sole is wide.. but not gimmicky infomercial magic club wide. It looks appropriate. The standout features are the sole milling, adjustable weights,and full-faced grooves. 

We played 18 last week. I won't say much about whether or not this helped fix his wedge game.. but throughout the round I took a few shots from various lies, including some full 115 yd shots and WOW! This has to be the easiest, most precise wedge I have ever played. Distance control from various lengths to the hole was bonkers! I'll get into spin here in a minute. 

Well all week I've been thinking about how much fun I had with those few shots and how much extra control and execution I seemed to have. Today we played one of our favorite courses. The Duke in Maricopa. It's really a fun course that demands a good short game. I made a point to use the Max 54° as much as I possibly could. Well the last round wasn't a fluke. This thing is just so darn easy to hit from all lies. I was even able to open up the face and pull off some nice high flop shots no problem. 

The one thing that I just couldn't get over was how generous the spin seemed to be. TBH, it probably outperformed my TM MG3's. I'd say that spin might have been neck and neck, but the ability to put the ball exactly where I wanted it every single time and with full reliability have the ball skip once and then dead stop.. that was something! Another note is that I could do this from just off the green on tight or fluffy lies. 

Well I had a chance to look at the wedge face in good sunlight. I was curious about how these things were putting so much spin on the ball. Well if anybody has any questions about Maltbys milling game.. here's what I discovered

20240402_203955.jpg.84367b87a01caa6adae53fad4574a6b6.jpg

Not only are there more regular grooves than most wedges, but they've got some nearly microscopic micro-grooves at a nice 45° angle. These are almost unnoticeable unless you look really closely. 

I don't remember when I had so much fun with a wedge. Today after the round I immediately came home and ordered a 54 and 58°, both with the 1.05° sole and actually listed and sold my MG3's right away. Yes I'm that confident in how much these wedges will do for my game.

Everybody knows about the bottom sole milling but it's just really tight!

20240402_204023.jpg.7e2cc5a5df069f727e5306ab6c49f92c.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

46 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I guess I might as well post this here too since there are diff readers on both forums. Sorry if it's a repeat for readers of both. 

Confession time: so for the past couple of years I hadn't really given much thought or consideration to the Maltby Max milled wedges. Being somewhat of a "wedge snob" and having put a load of time into dialing a decent wedge game, these just appeared to be too "game improvementy" for my taste. Mind you I'd never seen one in person, let alone the picture like what I'm posting below. 

So my dad on the other hand has a rather atrocious wedge game. Frightening really. He's mortified by the thought of even picking up a wedge. In most instances it's like giving a katana sword to a child. It just doesn't turn out well and people can get hurt. I figured I'd make him a more friendly playing wedge and the Max 54° 1.05" wide sole seemed like a decent idea for him. 

I ordered it and built it. It's about 1" longer than standard to help him not have to bend over so much and allow to just brush the grass with his arms mostly straight. At first I was actually pretty shocked at how nice the profile is. Not an overly large head at all. He has a new TM Hi-toe and this is a MUCH better looking shape. Yes the sole is wide.. but not gimmicky infomercial magic club wide. It looks appropriate. The standout features are the sole milling, adjustable weights,and full-faced grooves. 

We played 18 last week. I won't say much about whether or not this helped fix his wedge game.. but throughout the round I took a few shots from various lies, including some full 115 yd shots and WOW! This has to be the easiest, most precise wedge I have ever played. Distance control from various lengths to the hole was bonkers! I'll get into spin here in a minute. 

Well all week I've been thinking about how much fun I had with those few shots and how much extra control and execution I seemed to have. Today we played one of our favorite courses. The Duke in Maricopa. It's really a fun course that demands a good short game. I made a point to use the Max 54° as much as I possibly could. Well the last round wasn't a fluke. This thing is just so darn easy to hit from all lies. I was even able to open up the face and pull off some nice high flop shots no problem. 

The one thing that I just couldn't get over was how generous the spin seemed to be. TBH, it probably outperformed my TM MG3's. I'd say that spin might have been neck and neck, but the ability to put the ball exactly where I wanted it every single time and with full reliability have the ball skip once and then dead stop.. that was something! Another note is that I could do this from just off the green on tight or fluffy lies. 

Well I had a chance to look at the wedge face in good sunlight. I was curious about how these things were putting so much spin on the ball. Well if anybody has any questions about Maltbys milling game.. here's what I discovered

Not only are there more regular grooves than most wedges, but they've got some nearly microscopic micro-grooves at a nice 45° angle. These are almost unnoticeable unless you look really closely. 

I don't remember when I had so much fun with a wedge. Today after the round I immediately came home and ordered a 54 and 58°, both with the 1.05° sole and actually listed and sold my MG3's right away. Yes I'm that confident in how much these wedges will do for my game.

I'm SOOOOOO glad you did this and posted about your experience. I was really interested in these wedges with my TS1-IM set, but was concerned about the ability to open up the 58/60 wedges for greenside bunkers or other requirements. Square-faced shots should like they're no issue, but anything slightly-to-fully opened was a question mark. Sounds like the question has been answered in that the larger sole can in fact be opened up without issue.

Thanks!!!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

57 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

@Billy The Kid Rogers - you should read this post and let's discuss on Friday 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

So I did a thing the other week that finally arrived today.

Maltby MomentX Tour putter.
True Temper Steel shaft, black.
SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 grip
2.5" slant neck, light toe hang (probably 15'ish degrees).

Golfworks included the counterweight kit free of charge. Excited to give this a go on some green.

Hard to believe a putter this quality at the price I paid.

Another club ordered today that I'll share when it arrives. Couldn't pass it up.fa63399d5dd6a0fd80e999fc6e244f0c.jpg63ff307e4165f978c84312ed6a7a505d.jpgb254ab92a6498b503ee3180dbacad185.jpg808cd6414b22c2c8997a5ff625c75e7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

Man, I'm debating getting a set of the DBMs for my spare set now that my son stole my TE HL4's.  The pack for 4-GW with Recoil shafts is under $400.

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

Alright.. so I'm getting the twitch. I need to shake some things up.. or So I think🥴. I've been sidelined for the next 2 weeks while I'm recovering from Achilles tendonitis. I have a new set of shafts that I was planning on just installing in my TS4's. Don't know whether it's the devil or the angel on my shoulder telling me that a new set of TS3's would go perfectly with these shafts. 

Back story to my dilemma: my swing and game have really come a long way this year. I'm currently back at a strong 8 hdcp and striking the ball pretty consistently. I am still head over heels for my TS4's and they could easily get me to where I want to go which is 5-6 hdcp. The TS4's are so darn easy to play "for a blade". The question that I keep asking myself over the past few days is "how much easier could things be if I played the TS3's instead?" A while back I built a set of TS3's for my dad. Every time we play or practice I find myself side eyeing his clubs hoping my TS4's didn't catch me checking them out. Not that they're any better looking.. they're just different and really good looking too. I've admitted that I could easily game that profile of club and have no problems. 

So I guess I'm either looking for moral support or someone to talk some sense into me. If I purchased a set of TS3 heads, I'd most definitely have to sell my TS4's to get the cash for the purchase. I don't doubt that I'd love the TS3's and there's nothing they can't do that the TS4's can. It's just that extra little bit of love that I might get from the TS3's that has me thinking about this change. 

OR

Do I just keep a good thing going and just shaft up the TS4's with the new rods and never look back? 

I know these questions are only ones that I can answer because of the subjectiveness but any feedback is always appreciated! 

Cheers! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 4/6/2024 at 6:48 PM, Shrek74 said:

So I did a thing the other week that finally arrived today.

Maltby MomentX Tour putter.
True Temper Steel shaft, black.
SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 grip
2.5" slant neck, light toe hang (probably 15'ish degrees).

Golfworks included the counterweight kit free of charge. Excited to give this a go on some green.

Hard to believe a putter this quality at the price I paid.

Another club ordered today that I'll share when it arrives. Couldn't pass it up.fa63399d5dd6a0fd80e999fc6e244f0c.jpg63ff307e4165f978c84312ed6a7a505d.jpgb254ab92a6498b503ee3180dbacad185.jpg808cd6414b22c2c8997a5ff625c75e7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

You get a chance to roll this baby yet? 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Alright.. so I'm getting the twitch. I need to shake some things up.. or So I think🥴. I've been sidelined for the next 2 weeks while I'm recovering from Achilles tendonitis. I have a new set of shafts that I was planning on just installing in my TS4's. Don't know whether it's the devil or the angel on my shoulder telling me that a new set of TS3's would go perfectly with these shafts. 

Back story to my dilemma: my swing and game have really come a long way this year. I'm currently back at a strong 8 hdcp and striking the ball pretty consistently. I am still head over heels for my TS4's and they could easily get me to where I want to go which is 5-6 hdcp. The TS4's are so darn easy to play "for a blade". The question that I keep asking myself over the past few days is "how much easier could things be if I played the TS3's instead?" A while back I built a set of TS3's for my dad. Every time we play or practice I find myself side eyeing his clubs hoping my TS4's didn't catch me checking them out. Not that they're any better looking.. they're just different and really good looking too. I've admitted that I could easily game that profile of club and have no problems. 

So I guess I'm either looking for moral support or someone to talk some sense into me. If I purchased a set of TS3 heads, I'd most definitely have to sell my TS4's to get the cash for the purchase. I don't doubt that I'd love the TS3's and there's nothing they can't do that the TS4's can. It's just that extra little bit of love that I might get from the TS3's that has me thinking about this change. 

OR

Do I just keep a good thing going and just shaft up the TS4's with the new rods and never look back? 

I know these questions are only ones that I can answer because of the subjectiveness but any feedback is always appreciated! 

Cheers! 

How long would the TS3s take to arrive? If it is inside of that two week window, I would consider it for something to keep your mind busy. If not, I'm not sure. Just my two cents which in California is worth a Ha'Penny 😂

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

How long would the TS3s take to arrive? If it is inside of that two week window, I would consider it for something to keep your mind busy. If not, I'm not sure. Just my two cents which in California is worth a Ha'Penny 😂

Well the 1 thing that needs to happen first is that I need to unload my TS4's to free up some coin to buy anything. That in itself might be the deciding factor. I'm thinking of testing the waters to see if I can get any bites locally with FB Marketplace or Offer Up. I've actually had decent luck selling my past Maltby clubs here in AZ. I'll give it a week and if no bites, I might just stick with original plan and put the shafts in my TS4's. That would be fate telling me that I don't need new clubs. If I get someone interested in buying them.. then that's fate telling me I do need new clubs lol 😜

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Well the 1 thing that needs to happen first is that I need to unload my TS4's to free up some coin to buy anything. That in itself might be the deciding factor. I'm thinking of testing the waters to see if I can get any bites locally with FB Marketplace or Offer Up. I've actually had decent luck selling my past Maltby clubs here in AZ. I'll give it a week and if no bites, I might just stick with original plan and put the shafts in my TS4's. That would be fate telling me that I don't need new clubs. If I get someone interested in buying them.. then that's fate telling me I do need new clubs lol 😜

Seems fair, let the market decide which way the Arizona winds blow. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

12 hours ago, azstu324 said:

OR

Cheers! 

Have you considered at least going TS3 in your 4 and 5 iron (and possibly 6 iron)? I don’t game a 4 iron, but the TS3 5 iron is so easy to hit for a long iron. 

Obviously all the Maltby irons are forgiving, but I am of the mind to get as much forgiveness as I can without sacrificing distance control and feel (why I wouldn’t play a cast game improvement iron) and the TS3s fit that perfectly. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max 9°/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65S
Mizuno CLK 16° Hybrid/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 20° Hybrid/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75S
Maltby TS3 5-GW/Dynamic Gold S300
Maltby TSW 56°/12
Odyssey White Ice 9
Callaway Chrome Soft

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

That was a funny way to write "I need to keep the TS4's and buy the TS3's so I can have both and compare them."  

12 hours ago, azstu324 said:

You get a chance to roll this baby yet? 

Not yet. It's been raining pretty much since I got it. I'm playing 2 rounds this weekend and will be sure to take some time after each to roll some on the greens to see how it feels and functions.

14 hours ago, azstu324 said:

OR

Cheers!

Unless you can find something else to sell to help with the costs, I'd say just reshaft the TS4's. It depends on how well/poorly you hit the TS4's on course during an actual round. How many bad strikes per round could have been better with the TS3's? Could those more forgiving results saved you any strokes? If the answer is no, then just reshaft the TS4's and move along. If the answer is yes, then I think you know what to do.

Just my $0.02, which in TN is probably worth more than $0.02. 😄

2 hours ago, MN_Hacker said:

That was a funny way to write "I need to keep the TS4's and buy the TS3's so I can have both and compare them."  

In a perfect world, that's really the best scenario. I've still got the TS1-IM's so 3 sets of clubs would not go over well with the other half of my martial equation.. 😬

Technically the IM's kind of belong to my dad though because he fronted the $, otherwise I'd sell those. It's a difficult situation. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, OhioGolf72 said:

Have you considered at least going TS3 in your 4 and 5 iron (and possibly 6 iron)? I don’t game a 4 iron, but the TS3 5 iron is so easy to hit for a long iron. 

Obviously all the Maltby irons are forgiving, but I am of the mind to get as much forgiveness as I can without sacrificing distance control and feel (why I wouldn’t play a cast game improvement iron) and the TS3s fit that perfectly. 

So currently I play the IM in my 4i and 5-GW TS4. I really don't have any issues hitting my 4 or 5 right now. If I did do anything, I'd just commit to the whole set. TBH, the really fun clubs in the TS3 are GW-7 anyway. Decisions decisions 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

15 hours ago, azstu324 said:

OR

Cheers! 

I was surprised to read this, Stu, because I know how much you love your TS4s.  

Picking clubs is such a personal decision that I hesitate to weigh in on which option you should choose.  But I will offer this, which was IMO good wisdom passed on to me by my best golfing buddy.  I went through a phase of playing different irons frequently, shuffling between my TS3/TS4 combos, to my Miuras, to some Mizunos, etc., all while I was focusing on improving my game.  He suggested - practically insisted -- that I stop doing that and play the TS3/4s exclusively for at least a year or longer, i.e., until I felt I had gotten my game to where I wanted it.  Beyond always feeling comfortable with the club, knowing my gapping and tendencies, etc., he said he wanted me to have memories of the great shots I had hit with the clubs I was playing in order to give me confidence in the next shot.  

My game is not where I want it to be yet.  It may never be.  But since taking his advice, my handicap is down, I break 80 with regularity, and I have lowered my PB a handful of times.  I am only six months in on this "one set of irons" journey but it seems to be working for me.

This is not to say you should not go the TS3 route.  You are choosing between two objectively amazing sets of irons.  It's only to say that, if you are in improvement mode, committing to your choice for a long term might help.

Sorry this is so long.  Like Lincoln famously said, I didn't have time to write a shorter message.

P.S.  This rule does not apply to putters, woods, or hybrids!  LOL.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

33 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Unless you can find something else to sell to help with the costs, I'd say just reshaft the TS4's. It depends on how well/poorly you hit the TS4's on course during an actual round. How many bad strikes per round could have been better with the TS3's? Could those more forgiving results saved you any strokes? If the answer is no, then just reshaft the TS4's and move along. If the answer is yes, then I think you know what to do.

Just my $0.02, which in TN is probably worth more than $0.02. 😄

Yeah that's my exact analysis and why I've entered into this self-imposed conundrum (I have many of those unfortunately). In a round, most of my shots are pretty good BUT I do have a few crucial shots that seem to go awry that could possibly result in a few extra strokes. Nothing completely damning but just off target. 

My theory this year has to be to play smarter not harder. I'm not playing as consistently as I did before the job market took a dive so I have to maintain some level of consistency. I recently switched from more player style wedges in the TM MG3 TW grind to more GI style with the Max Milled. I switched from a more tour style driver to a more "forgiveness" based driver. Both are moves that I really think have helped tighten some things up just enough to make some kind of difference. 

I'm just wondering if maybe my irons could use the same adjustment. Nothing major, but just enough to find a few extra strokes in a round. 

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

12 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

I was surprised to read this, Stu, because I know how much you love your TS4s.  

Picking clubs is such a personal decision that I hesitate to weigh in on which option you should choose.  But I will offer this, which was IMO good wisdom passed on to me by my best golfing buddy.  I went through a phase of playing different irons frequently, shuffling between my TS3/TS4 combos, to my Miuras, to some Mizunos, etc., all while I was focusing on improving my game.  He suggested - practically insisted -- that I stop doing that and play the TS3/4s exclusively for at least a year or longer, i.e., until I felt I had gotten my game to where I wanted it.  Beyond always feeling comfortable with the club, knowing my gapping and tendencies, etc., he said he wanted me to have memories of the great shots I had hit with the clubs I was playing in order to give me confidence in the next shot.  

My game is not where I want it to be yet.  It may never be.  But since taking his advice, my handicap is down, I break 80 with regularity, and I have lowered my PB a handful of times.  I am only six months in on this "one set of irons" journey but it seems to be working for me.

This is not to say you should not go the TS3 route.  You are choosing between two objectively amazing sets of irons.  It's only to say that, if you are in improvement mode, committing to your choice for a long term might help.

Sorry this is so long.  Like Lincoln famously said, I didn't have time to write a shorter message.

P.S.  This rule does not apply to putters, woods, or hybrids!  LOL.

Love it! All of this feedback is exactly what I was hoping for and is absolutely perfect and helpful! And you're right, the TS4's are some of the most amazing MB's or even clibs I've ever owned. Ultimately if it doesn't work out to get a set of TS3's, I'm out absolutely nothing and will be thrilled to keep playing the 4's. The reason to even swap out the shafts was to help tighten up my disbursement and lower my flight so part of my equation could be solved right there. 

I'm going to give it through the week and if there are no bites on my clubs, I'll just continue with the reshafting project. 

Thanks again! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

55 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Yeah that's my exact analysis and why I've entered into this self-imposed conundrum (I have many of those unfortunately). In a round, most of my shots are pretty good BUT I do have a few crucial shots that seem to go awry that could possibly result in a few extra strokes. Nothing completely damning but just off target. 

My theory this year has to be to play smarter not harder. I'm not playing as consistently as I did before the job market took a dive so I have to maintain some level of consistency. I recently switched from more player style wedges in the TM MG3 TW grind to more GI style with the Max Milled. I switched from a more tour style driver to a more "forgiveness" based driver. Both are moves that I really think have helped tighten some things up just enough to make some kind of difference. 

I'm just wondering if maybe my irons could use the same adjustment. Nothing major, but just enough to find a few extra strokes in a round. 

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! 

I know you said you have a 4i in the TS1-IM, but have you given much to thought to the TS3/TS4 combo? That might really give you the best of both worlds. Maybe keep your 4i TS1-IM, swap out the 5-7 with TS3, and the 8-G could be your TS4's. That lowers your $ output, helps with the forgiveness where it's really needed most (longer irons), and gives you those better scoring irons. Just another idea to play with. Lord knows I love me some good analysis paralysis. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I know you said you have a 4i in the TS1-IM, but have you given much to thought to the TS3/TS4 combo? That might really give you the best of both worlds. Maybe keep your 4i TS1-IM, swap out the 5-7 with TS3, and the 8-G could be your TS4's. That lowers your $ output, helps with the forgiveness where it's really needed most (longer irons), and gives you those better scoring irons. Just another idea to play with. Lord knows I love me some good analysis paralysis. 🙂

Unfortunately my OCD will not allow for a 3 model mixed iron set😜. Honestly, even just a split set with non-matching clubs makes me twitch a little. That's me though. For me it's kind of an all or nothing scenario and like I mentioned in another post, the real fun of the TS3's is in the scoring clubs anyway so I'd rather just have the full set. 

Thanks again for the input though. Definitely a lot of things to consider over the next couple weeks while I'm laid up. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

7 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Unfortunately my OCD will not allow for a 3 model mixed iron set😜. Honestly, even just a split set with non-matching clubs makes me twitch a little. That's me though. For me it's kind of an all or nothing scenario and like I mentioned in another post, the real fun of the TS3's is in the scoring clubs anyway so I'd rather just have the full set. 

Thanks again for the input though. Definitely a lot of things to consider over the next couple weeks while I'm laid up. 

Haha, so I guess you're not a fan of a Titleist T350/T200/T150 combo. 😉

I hear ya. My OCD hasn't gotten to that point, luckily. Granted, if the irons were far different, especially at address, I might have an issue.

FB Marketplace will tell you what direction to go.

So what new shafts are you looking at?

14 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Haha, so I guess you're not a fan of a Titleist T350/T200/T150 combo. 😉

I hear ya. My OCD hasn't gotten to that point, luckily. Granted, if the irons were far different, especially at address, I might have an issue.

FB Marketplace will tell you what direction to go.

So what new shafts are you looking at?

I've actually got the shafts now. I first played them in a set of Cleveland TA-1 MB's, then in a set of Callaway RAZR X MB's, and finally in my prior OG TS1's. They were upgrade shafts for quite a few pro model type irons from the 60's through mid 2k's.  It's a company that isn't in business any more but you can find uncut tour truck sets around the web if you know what you're looking for. 

It's a company called Royal Precision..I think they were maybe bought out by TT/Project X in the mid 2k's but discontinued the process of these particular shafts because of the cost and labor involved in making them. These are the FCM Rifle 6.5's. Not to be confused or associated with PX 6.5 rebar shafts. These things are absolute butter but extremely stable and consistent. 

If anybody likes historical, low production videos with generic 80's jazz music in the background, here's a rabbit hole find for ya 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

9 minutes ago, sl1111 said:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/profile/76102-azstu324/

Stu, I am trying to message you regarding your TS3/TS4 decision and the system says you can not receive messages. Can you message me to see if it opens communication. 

That's strange 🤔. I just sent you a PM and looks like it went through 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

9 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I've actually got the shafts now. I first played them in a set of Cleveland TA-1 MB's, then in a set of Callaway RAZR X MB's, and finally in my prior OG TS1's. They were upgrade shafts for quite a few pro model type irons from the 60's through mid 2k's.  It's a company that isn't in business any more but you can find uncut tour truck sets around the web if you know what you're looking for. 

It's a company called Royal Precision..I think they were maybe bought out by TT/Project X in the mid 2k's but discontinued the process of these particular shafts because of the cost and labor involved in making them. These are the FCM Rifle 6.5's. Not to be confused or associated with PX 6.5 rebar shafts. These things are absolute butter but extremely stable and consistent. 

If anybody likes historical, low production videos with generic 80's jazz music in the background, here's a rabbit hole find for ya 😜

I loved my 6.5 rifle driver shaft, it was in a Golfsmith XPC driver. The original graphite Rifle shafts were great too.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:13 PM, Deepred said:

I loved my 6.5 rifle driver shaft, it was in a Golfsmith XPC driver. The original graphite Rifle shafts were great too.

I have one of those driver heads in my shop.

Another Maltby arrived today - TC Pro 7 Wood. It looks really great and I really want to get to the range tomorrow to try it out. Maltby ProSeries FW Shaft, 70g, Regular (they play pretty stiff). This was one of their Paks, and for $105 assembled, I couldn't pass it up. They even got my grip request right to add some to the lower hand to reduce taper.

Headcover is essentially the Taylormade Stealth model, which I'm not complaining about. It feels premium and looks great. Came with a wrench. DID YOU HEAR THAT OEMS!?!?! MALTBY SENT A WRENCH!!

MaltbyTCPro7Wood.jpg.2a9d5c6fda3b7688e411114f0f346efa.jpg