Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Golfonaut - GPS app for Apple Watch

pachacamac

I will present you in this thread my review of Golfonaut, a golf app for Apple Watch. I am using it for three months.

Features:

• Distance to the green on 35 000 courses. Of course I did not checked all courses (for now 😆). Courses where I played were all available and correct.
  • Scorecard. You can enter your score at the end of each hole. Then on the iPhone app you get a dashboard of your stats.
  • Apple Fitness. When you start a golf game on Golfonaut, it starts an exercice, that is recorded in your Apple system. It completes your rings.
  • Game. When you beat your record on a course or on a hole, you got some rewards. It adds another dimension on your golf.

My review:

Golfonaut is really simple to use. I am bored to lose too much time in technology. Technology should be here to save time. And with Golfonaut this is simple and clear. The registration is a bit long, but when you get on course, everything is already tuned. The app takes few seconds to display courses around and to start a new game. So if you are late, it will not add up any stress, like with the Garmin, which could take time to init its GPS.

The Apple Watch is really minimalist, and I appreciate that. You have the distance to the green, front and back if you like, hole number, par, and a score button. That's it. So the distance is displayed large enough to see it in one glance, even when sunny. If you are fan to have many other data, like distance to all bunkers, Golfonaut is not for you.

With Fitness on, my battery is drained at the end of the 18th hole. With Fitness off, it drains more or less 15% of the battery. I let the fitness on to have my heart rate, and charge the watch during 1 hour when back at home.

So for me it is a really cool app.